Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Same here. I never owned a PS2 but have enjoyed the few games I've picked up since I got a PS3. I also have about a half dozen I've bought and haven't gotten to yet (Kingdom Hearts being the big one).

A shame they feel the need to drop support. It's probably pennies on the dollar for them to include it.
I don't know about pennies. There was still the inclusion of the PS2 GPU in the old 80 GB version and I'm sure having to produce different system boards to include it, as well the cost to make the chip itself, costs a decent amount more then producing one platform.

I'd like to see the PS3 be able to emulate PS2 games entirely in software though. If the XBox 360 can do so with XBox games, I imagine someone could write something for the PS3.

That said, I don't have a PS3 because my roomate does, but with being able to play FF13 on my 360 and the lack of backwards compatibility, I'm starting to think I would just buy a standalone Blu-ray player at the end of the year rather then a PS3.
Old 07-16-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the trophies? I saw it updated on my console but have no idea what it is and doesn't seem to say what it is anywhere.
Old 07-16-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What are the trophies? I saw it updated on my console but have no idea what it is and doesn't seem to say what it is anywhere.
they are what achievements are to the 360
I think Super Stardust HD is the only game right now with any real trophy support

http://www.ps3trophies.org/index.php
Old 07-16-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awil1026
^^ Personally, I have a PS2 and a 40 GB PS3. I haven't turned on my PS2 in a very, very long time, but if my PS3 had backwards-compatibility, I would definitely be playing PS2 games still. Hell, I would have bought God of War II, also. But right now I simply can't make the room for both consoles to be hooked up.

And yes, I regret getting the 40 GB instead of the 80 w/ BC.
I'm in the exact same boat. I dusted off the PS2 the other day to mess around with MGS3 and was really wishing I had taken the time to track down an 80 instead of impulse buying the 40. >sigh< Whatever, was wrong about rumble, and they're wrong about this, so nothing new in the Sony camp I guess.
Old 07-16-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by musick
they are what achievements are to the 360
I think Super Stardust HD is the only game right now with any real trophy support

http://www.ps3trophies.org/index.php
Ah, thanks.
Old 07-17-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm glad I got the MGS bundle:

$500 - MGS = $440

and $40 is easily worth the backwards compatibility to me, especially when considering upconverted video, saves on the hard-drive, wireless controller, etc...
I asked this on the last page and was ignored
Does the MGS4 model have the exact same BC as the old Motorstorm 80 GB unit?

(just curious; I picked up the 60 GB and sold my PS2 at Game Crazy so I'm good)
Old 07-17-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm not sure, but I would assume so.
Old 07-17-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I know that most people focus on the BC capabilities of the 80GB model, but for me the 4 USB ports (vs. the 2 on the 40GB) and the built-in memory card slots (none on the 40GB) were more important factors for me.
Old 07-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I know that most people focus on the BC capabilities of the 80GB model, but for me the 4 USB ports (vs. the 2 on the 40GB) and the built-in memory card slots (none on the 40GB) were more important factors for me.
Really? I've had the system almost a year and haven't used the USB ports or the memory card slots at all.
Old 07-17-08, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Really? I've had the system almost a year and haven't used the USB ports or the memory card slots at all.
Then you don't have the camera, Singstar, Rock Band or any PS2 peripherals. Actually I need an adaptor so that I can plug in my Tekken 4 Hori fighting stick. It's pretty sweet.

I wish the slots were in the back so you coild actually plug stuff like the camera in without it being unsightly. As far as a lack of memory card slots or only having 2 USB ports, a simple $10 USB hub can eliminate either "problem".
Old 07-17-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Then you don't have the camera, Singstar, Rock Band or any PS2 peripherals.
Ahh... peripherals escaped me when I posted. And no I don't have any. I did however order a cool looking PS3 Bluetooth -> IR USB adapter yesterday. Kinda pricey but thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 07-17-08, 10:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

So the trophies are what the Entitlements were going to be at launch? What ever happened to that plan? Will they incorporate Entitlement points AND trhophies?

Also: since the new MGS PS3 is kind of an upgrade from the Spiderman 3 version (black with the Spiderman font in the ps3 logo, originally bundled with Spiderman 3) does the playstation logo look different? Does it still say playstation across the side?
Old 07-17-08, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atxbomber
I'm in the exact same boat. I dusted off the PS2 the other day to mess around with MGS3 and was really wishing I had taken the time to track down an 80 instead of impulse buying the 40. >sigh< Whatever, was wrong about rumble, and they're wrong about this, so nothing new in the Sony camp I guess.
I actually returned my MGS Bundle last night. I wish I kept 40 I orginally got, but looking for the better deal I tracked down an MGS bundle and exchanged the 40 for it. However, after using for awhile I was not happy with how loud it was (roughly as loud as my 360). Before returning it I did bunch of research and found the 40's had the 65mm chip vs the 90 in the 80 model enabling it to run cooler and use less energy. I bought my PS3 for watching BD movies and I would have to crank up the volume pretty loud so I would not hear my PS3. The only thing now is I have to wait until around September for the new model to hit the stores, my Wal-Mart said they have no more 40 and are not expecting any PS3 shipments in the near future and the 40 is only available on thier site as a bundle.

I originally got the PS3 during the giftcard deal so I will actually wait until there is a comparable deal before I buy another, even though I loved the picture quality of the BD movies.
Old 07-17-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Nole
However, after using for awhile I was not happy with how loud it was (roughly as loud as my 360). Before returning it I did bunch of research and found the 40's had the 65mm chip vs the 90 in the 80 model enabling it to run cooler and use less energy. I bought my PS3 for watching BD movies and I would have to crank up the volume pretty loud so I would not hear my PS3.
I mentioned this earlier, but there has to be something wrong with your PS3, since my 80-gig is literally whisper-quiet, and it certainly is far, far quieter than my 360. That is, unless the fan in my PS3 is busted, which is unlikely since I can hear it when I put my ear up to it - but that's the only way I can hear it.
Old 07-17-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I also thought I heard that the Darkness had some kind of Entitlements in the game that would be unlocked when it finally got rolled out to the system... or was that just a rumor?
Old 07-17-08, 11:51 AM

I mentioned this earlier, but there has to be something wrong with your PS3, since my 80-gig is literally whisper-quiet, and it certainly is far, far quieter than my 360. That is, unless the fan in my PS3 is busted, which is unlikely since I can hear it when I put my ear up to it - but that's the only way I can hear it.
Consider youself lucky. I know I was being picky but since this was movies first I wanted a quieter one so that is the main reason I returned it. If it was for games like my 360 I probably would have kept it. Hopefully I will have another PS3 by the holidays.
Old 07-17-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am inclined to agree with slop101 on this issue. my 80GB is quite quiet. i don't know that i have ever heard fan noise coming from it during operation. good lord, my xbox 360 sounds like a small jet taking off when it is running.
Old 07-17-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then you don't have the camera, Singstar, Rock Band or any PS2 peripherals. Actually I need an adaptor so that I can plug in my Tekken 4 Hori fighting stick. It's pretty sweet.

I wish the slots were in the back so you coild actually plug stuff like the camera in without it being unsightly. As far as a lack of memory card slots or only having 2 USB ports, a simple $10 USB hub can eliminate either "problem".
Agreed.

The only thing I've used the USB ports for was a one-time copy of save data from my PS2 memory cards...and for a PS2->USB adapter. A USB hub/memory card reading device would work just fine if you needed them.

With the continuing success of the PS2 I still don't really understand why they would pull BC. It seems like it would be important to keep it to get some of those PS2 users to upgrade in another couple of years.
Old 07-17-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Between Rock Band, Sing Star, Buzz! and moving PS2 saves I use them a lot. Haven't needed all 4 at once, but don't mind them being there. I use the memory card readers all the time as I find it much easier to watch videos that way. Streaming works, but is not as fast over Wi-fi and can be laggy.

The thing I use all the time is PS2 games. Really happy I bought the 60GB instead of waiting. Considering the library of PS2 games it is sad Sony is dropping backwards compatibility.
Old 07-17-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My guess is the reason they're removing BC is because they figure there is no way they're going to be able to use software emulation for the cell processor on the PS4. They're just trying to get you used to the idea of not having BC so they can make the next one cheaper to manufacture without the PS3 hardware included.
Old 07-17-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
So the trophies are what the Entitlements were going to be at launch? What ever happened to that plan? Will they incorporate Entitlement points AND trhophies?

Also: since the new MGS PS3 is kind of an upgrade from the Spiderman 3 version (black with the Spiderman font in the ps3 logo, originally bundled with Spiderman 3) does the playstation logo look different? Does it still say playstation across the side?
From what I remember, Entitlements was just the rumored name for the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's what the trophies are today.

I don't see why the logo would be different.
Old 07-17-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They probably changed the name so people wouldn't feel, well, entitled to them.
Old 07-17-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
Consider youself lucky. I know I was being picky but since this was movies first I wanted a quieter one so that is the main reason I returned it. If it was for games like my 360 I probably would have kept it. Hopefully I will have another PS3 by the holidays.
I have an 80GB myself and it is much quieter then the 360. In fact, the only time it ever got loud was when it was inadvertently turned on with the remote and it was enclosed in the entertainment center (I always leave the glass door open when using the PS3 or 360). Not sure how long it was on, but it was hot as hell and LOUD.

Of course, my 360 is a RROD replacement and it is quite a bit louder than my original.
Old 07-18-08, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
From what I remember, Entitlements was just the rumored name for the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's what the trophies are today.

I don't see why the logo would be different.
Well, games like Uncharted and Burnout Paradise have "Medals" that are "unlocked" during gameplay. They're closer to Achievements than these Trophies which seem to be tiered and weighted differently. I don't know, it gets confusing. I suppose the Trophies get displayed within Home and the medals don't. I don't think there's any other way to continually show off your gamerscore whore-ness like there is on Live, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Old 07-18-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, games like Uncharted and Burnout Paradise have "Medals" that are "unlocked" during gameplay. They're closer to Achievements than these Trophies which seem to be tiered and weighted differently. I don't know, it gets confusing. I suppose the Trophies get displayed within Home and the medals don't. I don't think there's any other way to continually show off your gamerscore whore-ness like there is on Live, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
I think it has been confirmed that the awards in Burnout and Uncharted will be converted to trophies soon. For Burnout I am not sure how the 60 will be broken out among bronze, silver and Gold. I haven't figured out the whole trophy thing yet with only Super Stardust to go by. I only managed 6 trophies in Stardust before giving up so I doubt I ever have much gamer score to brag about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.