Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-20, 05:23 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

I don’t know about you all but after I

A.) have had numerous game discs get scratched, lost, or stolen.

B.) had my PS4 get stolen out of my house along with all my disc games.

ive gone digital media and haven’t looked back. The digital games I bought I was able to recover from my PSN account from the stealing incident. The physical games, I wasn’t so lucky. I don’t see any advantage in preferring physical media other than it feels nice to hold/looks good on your shelf.

a blessing in disguise with this decision was never feeling the need to step into the vile excuse for a game store that is GameStop again
Old 03-20-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is he already there? I can't fathom him greenlighting that decision.
I believe Reggie's starting date is (was?) April 20.
Old 03-20-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Reggie Fils-Aimé has to be combing his contract looking for an out.

Tell them he wants to use his old helmet ... oh wait ...

Old 03-20-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I heard a passing reference to this on the national news ... any updates on how this is working out for them?

EDIT: Looks like they closed in California ...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/2...te-coronavirus
Old 03-21-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Part of their rationale:

Update (3/19/2020 11:16pm ET): GameStop provided a statement to Ars Technica saying that "while GameStop is best known as a provider of gaming and home entertainment systems, we also offer a wide array of products and devices that are important to facilitate remote work, distance learning, and virtual connectivity." GameStop says it is "one of many providers" that serve the "significant need for technology solutions" that many Americans are now facing as they work and learn from home.
Old 03-21-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I don't see how they can defend themselves after that debacle in Canada(where they are also closed, like CA). Technically some stores may sell some used networking equipment but I don't think I've ever seen that around here and certainly I've never gone there to look for it.

seems like they changed their tune shortly after PA forced them to close:

https://gamestop.gcs-web.com/news-re...stomer-service

Last edited by fujishig; 03-21-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://screenrant.com/gamestop-stor...eports-stocks/

Gamestop is going to shut down 320 stores in 2020.

I know this thread is basically saying the store sucks, but honestly I've never had a problem with them. I don't buy games nearly as much now as I did in the past, but whenever I've gone to their store, I usually find what I want with no issues. This thread is way too long for me to get a gist of why this forum hates them so much.

Anyone willing to give a few bullet points as to why it's such a reviled retailer?
Old 03-27-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

#1. Selling used games as new is the numero uno for me. "oh we just take the shrink wrap off to prevent theft" or "this is the display copy, never been played*" "that'll be $60+ for that open copy." Nope. No shrink wrap means used. Period. *it's only been "rented" by the employees a dozen times.

#2. Asking for a new release game only to hear, "oh, did you pre-order? I'll have to see if we have any extra copies. Then acting like they're the only place I can get the new release. "We don't have extra copies but remember to pre-order next time!," No thanks. I'll just hit up Target or Best Buy who know how to stock a new release game.

#3. Hawking everything under the sun and pestering customers into buying or pre-ordering things other than the game I came in for.

That's a start anyway.

#4. Giving pennies on the dollar for used games.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
Adam Tyner (03-27-20), DJariya (03-27-20), story (03-28-20)
Old 03-27-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://screenrant.com/gamestop-stor...eports-stocks/

Gamestop is going to shut down 320 stores in 2020.

I know this thread is basically saying the store sucks, but honestly I've never had a problem with them. I don't buy games nearly as much now as I did in the past, but whenever I've gone to their store, I usually find what I want with no issues. This thread is way too long for me to get a gist of why this forum hates them so much.

Anyone willing to give a few bullet points as to why it's such a reviled retailer?
Couple things - first is the trade in values on games and systems. A system that sells new for $300, they might give $50. Seems unfair, but that's how they make their money. Their margins on new games and systems is probably only a few percentage points, so they have to have a higher margin on the used.
And then for the new games, they're known for being extremely push about pre-ordering games. They say it's to lock in your copy, but when you can go to a big box retailer that same day and grab it for the same price while you also get your groceries then it's just a turnoff.

But we're like you, we never sell games or systems to them, we do eBay or something where we can control the price.
When we go to Gamestop we get exactly what we want and we exude an aura that says "don't try the hardsel crap with us".

But there are way too many locations. Here in the Chicago suburbs there every other suburb. Some just down the road from another one because they''re technically in different cities.
They could stand to downsize.
Old 03-27-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There’s an insane amount of them in Des Moines.
Old 03-27-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

There is an intersection near my house where we used to have a Gamestop on 3 of the 4 corners. One was in a mall, and has since closed. The other 2 are still there. There is yet another one less than 2 miles up the same street.
Old 03-27-20, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a handful or two here in Rochester. My best friend is an assistant manager at one of them. He sent me a picture of the memo. Fuckin bullshit. He was pretty pissed.
Old 03-27-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's largely because they bought up the competition and kept a lot of the stores. A smaller company could probably do well cutting down a lot and pivoting, but honestly investors would rather cash out than go for a much smaller but profitable business.
Old 03-27-20, 11:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I can't believe this is real life.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door.

The instructions e-mailed from a district leader to managers on Monday almost seemed like a prank, said the 24-year-old manager, who asked to remain anonymous because he feared retaliation.

The message, titled “Chip card best practices," says: “Lightly (you want to be able to get it off easily) tape a Game Stop plastic bag over your hand and arm. Do not open the door all the way —keep the glass between you and the guest’s face — just reach out your arm.”

"It's like they're an animal or a pet," said the manager.
Old 06-03-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Old 06-03-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

$11.95 sounds generous.
Old 06-03-20, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I have no sympathy for this company at all. I ordered a Animal Crossing: New Horizons players guide in the early March of this year. They tell me because of the virus, the guides would not arrive on their original release date, which I can understand. They told me in April the new release date was 5/29. So, for the next few weeks, every time I went in the store, I would ask them the release date and every, single time they told me 5/29.

So, Friday, I went to go get the guide because it was 5/29 and they told me some cock and bull story that the guides came in a few weeks ago and I never came and got mine so they sold it to someone else. To say I flipped a brick would be an understatement. I'm like, for a solid month you guys kept telling me the release date was 5/29, and yet here I am, and you have the nerve to tell me it came in a few weeks ago and you sold it? Bullshit!

I was beyond hot and they knew it. So they tell me this fairy tell about how they are going to reach out to the home office and see if they can find me one. Here it is almost a week later and I have not heard a peep from them, not that I expect to. Shitty practices like this is why they are one of the most hated companies in the US. I don't want anyone to lose their job, but I will not shed one tear when GameStop goes tits up!
Old 06-03-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I have no sympathy for this company at all. I ordered a Animal Crossing: New Horizons players guide in the early March of this year. They tell me because of the virus, the guides would not arrive on their original release date, which I can understand. They told me in April the new release date was 5/29. So, for the next few weeks, every time I went in the store, I would ask them the release date and every, single time they told me 5/29.

So, Friday, I went to go get the guide because it was 5/29 and they told me some cock and bull story that the guides came in a few weeks ago and I never came and got mine so they sold it to someone else. To say I flipped a brick would be an understatement. I'm like, for a solid month you guys kept telling me the release date was 5/29, and yet here I am, and you have the nerve to tell me it came in a few weeks ago and you sold it? Bullshit!

I was beyond hot and they knew it. So they tell me this fairy tell about how they are going to reach out to the home office and see if they can find me one. Here it is almost a week later and I have not heard a peep from them, not that I expect to. Shitty practices like this is why they are one of the most hated companies in the US. I don't want anyone to lose their job, but I will not shed one tear when GameStop goes tits up!
Not to rub salt in the wounds but why not just order it from Amazon? Store credit at Gamestop or just some hatred of amazon?

oh wow it's sold out.

edited to add: Maybe this is why:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/36066...g-new-horizons

Might've dodged a bullet if that reprint thing is true.
Old 06-03-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not to rub salt in the wounds but why not just order it from Amazon? Store credit at Gamestop or just some hatred of amazon?

oh wow it's sold out.

Top of the article :
Old 06-04-20, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig

oh wow it's sold out.

I pre-ordered as well from Amazon when they said the delivery date would be April 27th. I did it because they were offering it for $18.99, which was 12 bucks cheaper than GameStop. I got an email from them yesterday saying it had been pushed back to anywhere from July 3rd to the 19th. At this point, I don't even want the dang thing anymore, but my daughter wants it, so I will keep both pre-orders until one of them can actually send it to me.
Old 06-04-20, 08:40 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I've only played the mobile app.

Does the Switch game constantly add new content and characters like the mobile version? If it does, I would think it would be difficult to write a player's guide that wouldn't be accurate past the first month.
Old 06-04-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
I've only played the mobile app.

Does the Switch game constantly add new content and characters like the mobile version? If it does, I would think it would be difficult to write a player's guide that wouldn't be accurate past the first month.
Oh, it is already outdated. It's still a beautiful book but there's no way it can keep up with the content that's newly released, even if it's not as frequently updated as a mobile game.
Old 06-04-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the guide is not going to tell you anything you don't already know. My Wife, Daughter and I are huge fans of the Animal Crossing games and just want the guide as a keepsake. We still have the guide to AC: City Folk.
Old 11-05-20, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I rarely shop at Gamestop but just noticed I had enough points to get a $5 reward. I cashed it out on a $5 online only reward but I don't know how to use it. I checked my digital locker and the code they gave me doesn't seem to work on the online checkout. Anyone have an ideas on how these things work?

Example of the code they gave me: web-abcd-abcd-ab
Old 01-26-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Anyone following this stock shorting of GameStop stock? Holy fucking shit it is amazing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.