Reload this Page >

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Old 03-20-20, 05:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

I don’t know about you all but after I

A.) have had numerous game discs get scratched, lost, or stolen.

B.) had my PS4 get stolen out of my house along with all my disc games.

ive gone digital media and haven’t looked back. The digital games I bought I was able to recover from my PSN account from the stealing incident. The physical games, I wasn’t so lucky. I don’t see any advantage in preferring physical media other than it feels nice to hold/looks good on your shelf.

a blessing in disguise with this decision was never feeling the need to step into the vile excuse for a game store that is GameStop again
Old 03-20-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Is he already there? I can't fathom him greenlighting that decision.
I believe Reggie's starting date is (was?) April 20.
Old 03-20-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Reggie Fils-Aimé has to be combing his contract looking for an out.

Tell them he wants to use his old helmet ... oh wait ...

Old 03-20-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I heard a passing reference to this on the national news ... any updates on how this is working out for them?

EDIT: Looks like they closed in California ...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/2...te-coronavirus
Old 03-21-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Part of their rationale:

Update (3/19/2020 11:16pm ET): GameStop provided a statement to Ars Technica saying that "while GameStop is best known as a provider of gaming and home entertainment systems, we also offer a wide array of products and devices that are important to facilitate remote work, distance learning, and virtual connectivity." GameStop says it is "one of many providers" that serve the "significant need for technology solutions" that many Americans are now facing as they work and learn from home.
Old 03-21-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't see how they can defend themselves after that debacle in Canada(where they are also closed, like CA). Technically some stores may sell some used networking equipment but I don't think I've ever seen that around here and certainly I've never gone there to look for it.

seems like they changed their tune shortly after PA forced them to close:

https://gamestop.gcs-web.com/news-re...stomer-service

Last edited by fujishig; 03-21-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

https://screenrant.com/gamestop-stor...eports-stocks/

Gamestop is going to shut down 320 stores in 2020.

I know this thread is basically saying the store sucks, but honestly I've never had a problem with them. I don't buy games nearly as much now as I did in the past, but whenever I've gone to their store, I usually find what I want with no issues. This thread is way too long for me to get a gist of why this forum hates them so much.

Anyone willing to give a few bullet points as to why it's such a reviled retailer?
Old 03-27-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

#1. Selling used games as new is the numero uno for me. "oh we just take the shrink wrap off to prevent theft" or "this is the display copy, never been played*" "that'll be $60+ for that open copy." Nope. No shrink wrap means used. Period. *it's only been "rented" by the employees a dozen times.

#2. Asking for a new release game only to hear, "oh, did you pre-order? I'll have to see if we have any extra copies. Then acting like they're the only place I can get the new release. "We don't have extra copies but remember to pre-order next time!," No thanks. I'll just hit up Target or Best Buy who know how to stock a new release game.

#3. Hawking everything under the sun and pestering customers into buying or pre-ordering things other than the game I came in for.

That's a start anyway.

#4. Giving pennies on the dollar for used games.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
Adam Tyner (03-27-20), DJariya (03-27-20), story (03-28-20)
Old 03-27-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://screenrant.com/gamestop-stor...eports-stocks/

Gamestop is going to shut down 320 stores in 2020.

I know this thread is basically saying the store sucks, but honestly I've never had a problem with them. I don't buy games nearly as much now as I did in the past, but whenever I've gone to their store, I usually find what I want with no issues. This thread is way too long for me to get a gist of why this forum hates them so much.

Anyone willing to give a few bullet points as to why it's such a reviled retailer?
Couple things - first is the trade in values on games and systems. A system that sells new for $300, they might give $50. Seems unfair, but that's how they make their money. Their margins on new games and systems is probably only a few percentage points, so they have to have a higher margin on the used.
And then for the new games, they're known for being extremely push about pre-ordering games. They say it's to lock in your copy, but when you can go to a big box retailer that same day and grab it for the same price while you also get your groceries then it's just a turnoff.

But we're like you, we never sell games or systems to them, we do eBay or something where we can control the price.
When we go to Gamestop we get exactly what we want and we exude an aura that says "don't try the hardsel crap with us".

But there are way too many locations. Here in the Chicago suburbs there every other suburb. Some just down the road from another one because they''re technically in different cities.
They could stand to downsize.
Old 03-27-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

There’s an insane amount of them in Des Moines.
Old 03-27-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an intersection near my house where we used to have a Gamestop on 3 of the 4 corners. One was in a mall, and has since closed. The other 2 are still there. There is yet another one less than 2 miles up the same street.
Old 03-27-20, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a handful or two here in Rochester. My best friend is an assistant manager at one of them. He sent me a picture of the memo. Fuckin bullshit. He was pretty pissed.
Old 03-27-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's largely because they bought up the competition and kept a lot of the stores. A smaller company could probably do well cutting down a lot and pivoting, but honestly investors would rather cash out than go for a much smaller but profitable business.
Old 03-27-20, 11:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't believe this is real life.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door.

The instructions e-mailed from a district leader to managers on Monday almost seemed like a prank, said the 24-year-old manager, who asked to remain anonymous because he feared retaliation.

The message, titled “Chip card best practices," says: “Lightly (you want to be able to get it off easily) tape a Game Stop plastic bag over your hand and arm. Do not open the door all the way —keep the glass between you and the guest’s face — just reach out your arm.”

"It's like they're an animal or a pet," said the manager.