Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Yep this isn't big tech at all, it's new school brokerages in an old world system with old world influences and clearing houses.
Old 01-28-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Robinhood is literally owned by Citadel, which has a LARGE short position.
Old 01-28-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

The following 7 users liked this post by Decker:
Deftones (01-28-21), Giantrobo (01-29-21), Ginwen (01-30-21), Kdogg (01-31-21), namja (02-04-21), uteotw (02-01-21), Why So Blu? (01-29-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-21, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
In a nut shell....these High & Mighty Elitist on Wall Street thought it was going to be business as usual and they make a lot of $$$ and everyone laugh it up....well a group of people...those paying attention...on Reddit saw and knew exactlly what was happening and played the same game except turned the tables on these Hedge Funds blindsiding them and taking their pants, shirt, shoes and underwear and any and everything else....

...so what do they do...well since Wall Street...and Big Tech...are alll buddy-buddy....Hedgefunds that lost the clothes off their back went to Media and The Big Heads on Wall Street and shut this down including the Trading App - Robinhood.....basically, THEY and only THEY are allowed to do this, someone else (outsiders) played by the same rules, cleaned their clocks, they thru a temper-tantrum and even some company has pulled The Server linking Robinhood claiming...ready...violates their code and labeled it Hate Speech and Threat....no joke...

I find it odd that some single stock that was basically called trash, hardly a blimp, concern suddenly is in the entire Financial Spotlight, has some Democrats Attention and White House Monitoring...

White House Is Monitoring GameStop Stock Situation; AOC And Elizabeth Warren Weigh In
The situation surrounding GameStop's stock price has caught the attention of Biden's White House. .
White House Is Monitoring GameStop Stock Situation; AOC And Elizabeth Warren Weigh In - GameSpot
It's all fun and games until the rich get boned.
Old 01-29-21, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's all fun and games until the rich get boned.
They're not involved because of the people buying the stock and driving up the price; they got involved when RH halted trading. They're for the hedge funds getting boned.
Old 01-29-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We're gonna see the White House/Congress act on this quicker than they did the $2000 checks that were supposed to immediately go out the door.
The following users liked this post:
JayTL (01-11-22)
Old 11-05-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Anyone have any inside info for trade promotions? I have a One S I want to offload for an Oculus Quest 2 for my kid for Christmas. Seems like I missed an October promotion with bonus trade value. I check Cheap Ass Gamer daily but seems like it is only game trade in bonuses right now.
Old 11-05-21, 08:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yeah you just missed a pretty excellent deal, though I don't know if the One S was included in that. Trade deals seem to change on Sundays. Folks say they are still getting extra for their consoles though, particularly for Pro members.
Honestly, best bet is to swing by a location and see how much it rings up as. You'll need to include a controller, HDMI, and power cable. Possibly even a USB cable for the controller, but that might just be for PS consoles because they have internal batteries.
Old 11-05-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

From the limited info i saw about it, it seems it was included. Yeah, I probably should swing by one to see. My other concern is the stock on the Quest 2 dwindles and I miss getting one there. Not that I couldn't get it anywhere, just more about taking some of the cost of it down. Thanks, Dan.
Old 01-05-22, 07:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Head's up for those with a "Pro" membership at GameStop... people are reporting that the $5 monthly coupon may no longer work for buying digital currency (Xbox, Nintendo, etc.) in-store. This is one of the things employees specifically used as a perk for getting people to sign up, so this is pretty shitty if true.
Old 01-05-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Head's up for those with a "Pro" membership at GameStop... people are reporting that the $5 monthly coupon may no longer work for buying digital currency (Xbox, Nintendo, etc.) in-store. This is one of the things employees specifically used as a perk for getting people to sign up, so this is pretty shitty if true.
Yes, I found that out yesterday as I went to buy a ten-dollar PlayStation card. I always used my five-dollar coupon, plus five of my own each month to buy a card. If this continues, I won't be renewing my membership as I only buy digital games now. The greed of this company will be the death of it. I can honestly say I will not miss it when it's gone.
Old 01-05-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Well that is super shitty.
Old 01-05-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that's vile and disgusting
The following 2 users liked this post by redbill:
gerrythedon (01-05-22), story (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 11:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

From another forum... you can buy something like this for $7, and input your monthly code as a coupon. You'll have to pay the $2 difference, but when you redeem it, you'll have an extra $7 in your MS account.
This will probably be disabled soon, so... jump on it if you have your January code still. I can confirm this worked for me.
darkdaze73 (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Yes, I found that out yesterday as I went to buy a ten-dollar PlayStation card. I always used my five-dollar coupon, plus five of my own each month to buy a card. If this continues, I won't be renewing my membership as I only buy digital games now. The greed of this company will be the death of it. I can honestly say I will not miss it when it's gone.
Damn I didn't even know that was a thing. Would have been nice to get 50% off of digital cards.
Old 01-06-22, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Walked back for now. Works for this month....

Old 01-10-22, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I just returned from GameStop to get my last 50% PlayStation card. The manager (she's always been an ass) informed me that this would be the last month I could use the coupon for digital content as the company makes zero profit of those transactions. I wanted to say no shit, but I was trying to be nice. I said, yeah, but do the higher ups not see that this brings people inside the store, which in turn, they might buy additional items? She went into full dick mode after that. People will still come in the store and buy things, like games, clothing, Funko Pops etc she said.

I told her that stuff was overpriced as it is and five bucks off wouldn't make a dent in their pricing. After that I left and it's very, very doubtful I go back.
JayTL (01-11-22)
Old 05-06-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

My GameStop recently closed. I don’t even know when it happened as I swear when I was out in that area earlier in the week it was still there.

Last night my girlfriend and I went to get something to eat at the Qdoba next door to where it was and as we were walking out I figured maybe we’d go in and browse for a bit, but it was completely gone. All signage was taken down and there’s already a for lease sign in the building.

I didn’t go there a whole bunch, but I recently picked up Kirby and the Forgotten Land there. A couple weeks before that we stopped in for a bit and the worker gave us a few games because they were being zeroed out (Assassin’s Creed III on 360, Mass Effect: Andromeda on Xbox One, and NBA 2K15 on Xbox One). Plus my girlfriend picked up the remastered version of Skyrim on Xbox One.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-06-22 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Oof, I thought they were done with the closings.
I know they had probably overreached with so many locations, but now it feels like they're closing too many. It was sometimes nice being out on a Saturday and hitting 3-5 of them in the Chicago surburbs and pick up a couple little things at each one.
Old 06-07-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Amazing!

https://kotaku.com/gamestop-meme-sto...nio-1849027868

"For my health I had to leave," Frank Maurer, the store's recently promoted manager, told Kotaku in a phone interview. The stress and anxiety were so bad he had trouble sleeping and wasn't even enjoying games anymore. He said he only started working there in late 2021, and while at first it was fun, it quickly turned into a nightmare between the lack of resources and management's strict quotas. To put up with it Maurer said he was paid $17 an hour, just $2 over the entry level rate at the nearby Target, while those under him made only $9, Nebraska's minimum wage.

He also claimed he was never properly trained by the company on any of the new responsibilities he was given as manager, nor given the resources and time to train others at the store. At one point he said he had to work over two weeks straight with no days off just to keep the store functioning.

"When I asked for support I was met with silence," Maurer said.

A similar walkout sign taped to Lincoln, Nebraska's other GameStop earlier this year also blamed the district manager for the mass resignation. "There have actually been four walkouts since august 2021 because of him," wrote one former employee on Facebook. "Two at each location. The first ones were kept pretty quiet though."

When asked about the prospect of unionizing amid huge labor pushes at Starbucks, Amazon, and Apple, as well as recent efforts in the larger gaming industry, Maurer said he can't see it ever happening. Like every other current and former GameStop employee I've spoken with in the past year, he feels turnover is too high and management too ruthless for anything like that to ever get off the ground.
Can't treat employees like this when there's better paying jobs with far less stress out there.
There needs to a be a huge corporate shakedown, but it won't happen.
Old 06-07-22, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I have a 500GB PS4 with 2 controllers, about 18 games and the full PSVR gear set. I am having no luck selling this on Facebook Marketplace and was wondering if I can expect anything decent of an offer from GS? Anybody trade in a system recently? Or would you avoid GS altogether?
Old 06-07-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Digital download needs to destroy them quicker.
Old 06-07-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I have a 500GB PS4 with 2 controllers, about 18 games and the full PSVR gear set. I am having no luck selling this on Facebook Marketplace and was wondering if I can expect anything decent of an offer from GS? Anybody trade in a system recently? Or would you avoid GS altogether?
IMO I would sell them the console (especially if they have one of those x% more when you trade in a console deals running) and dump the lot of games on eBay.
Rob V (06-08-22)
Old 06-10-22, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I had a pretty funny situation today in my local store. Took in Deathloop to trade in. Checked the site first and said it was with $15.40. Got to the store and it rings up at $11.

I pointed this out to the employee and even showed him the site.

His exact words were "I don't run the site, and I can't change the price in the computer for trade-ins."

Uhhhh, it says on the site, the quote is good at any store for the day. I showed the guy that information. Then I sat there, in complete silence just looking at him. For like a minute. It got awkward.

Amazingly, he figured out how to adjust the price in the computer for the trade in, while I sat there in silence.

The whole thing was amazing
IBJoel (06-20-22)
Old 06-11-22, 12:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It's $11.20 if you are not a Pro member and just want cash.
It's $15.40 if you are a Pro member and want store credit.

My guess is the employee had no idea what they were doing, which is not remotely surprising
IBJoel (06-20-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.