Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by db27
good point, opening one would be enough!!!
One is still too many. If they can print mockups and put them in generic cases for games that have yet to be released, why can't they do the same for games they actually have?

And if it's just to keep the shelves full and avoid thievery, just keep all the games on display in a glass case. Your customers see what's in stock and it also lessens the chances of people stealing the merchandise.
Old 07-03-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What I don't understand is this: what are people doing with these? I keep my games in the case, and I've never lost a manual or a cover. For example, I've still got my Zelda Toot gold cartridge in pristine condition, including manual and box.
I remember going in on a saturday morning and while waiting in line the person in front of me had a shitload of games they wanted to unload. All of them were without cases which was kind of odd at first. They told him that the city will prosecute people 16 and older. He took his games and walked out. It looked like he was with two more people. So i think a lot of those games without cases have been stolen from another store.
Old 07-03-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
That doesn't surprise me, and it really shouldn't surprise Gamestop either, as they're basically a glorified pawn shop. They make exponentially more money off of the 2nd-hand market than they do off of regular retail.

Funny detail - a while back, the local Gamestop here in Irvine had to stop selling used consoles, as it's against city ordinances to operate a pawn shop, and used consoles are classified as pawn shop items. Used games, however, fall out of that jurisdiction.
Old 07-06-08, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in there yesterday browsing their DVD section and came across a Hellboy Preview DVD that they were selling for $9.99. It says Hellboy on the cover and has the titular character. The disc itself only has a couple of trailers. I remember Best Buy was giving it away for free a few years ago when the original Hellboy movie was coming out.

So either someone duped Gamestop into buying the promo disc thinking it had the actual movie, or Gamestop is knowingly trying to ripp off their patrons.

Either way, yipes.
Old 07-07-08, 02:36 AM

This story doesn't really fit in with the main point of this thread (shitty policies and practices of the Gamestop corp.), but anyways. I work weekends at Barnes & Noble and for those of you who don't know Barnes & Noble used to own Babbage's and Software Etc and through some crazy corporate stuff they separated, but we all still share the employee discounts for each store.
Anyways, there's an employee at the Gamestop a few stores down that is kinda notoriously annoying. He falls somewhere between the personality of a theatre kid, the comic book store guy from the simpsons, and a cast member of a Kevin Smith movie. He's annoying but harmless. About a week ago he comes to the Cafe the women working there are two people that don't normally work in the mornings; one is a grad student that usually works evenings and the other has only been there about a week. He orders a frappucino, and the new girl tells him the total and he tells her that he gets a discount. and the new girl looks over to the the grad student who asks if he as a pay stub (which everyone needs to get their discount). His reaction without any hesitation: slams his hand on the counter "WHAT THE FUCK! THIS IS BULLSHIT! SINCE WHEN HAVE I EVER NEEDED A FUCKING PAYSTUB! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR TWO DAYS TO GO OFF ON SOMEONE LIKE THIS! FUCK THIS SHIT! I'M SO SICK OF THIS BULLSHIT" he turns around and walks towards the door. The grad student goes "if you want to can talk to the manager" and as we walks out he goes "YEAH I'LL COME BACK AND TALK TO YOUR FUCKING MANAGER!" Myself and a couple of co-workers heard him screaming from the other side of the store and by the time we got there he was out the door.
Our manager called the general manager of his store and told him what happened and banned him from coming into our store. Two days later a guy from the cafe walked up to me and asked if something happened with gamestop because he went into buy something and whomever rang him up goes "we need your paystub." he goes into his wallet and the gamestop employee goes "cause your store makes such a big deal out of it."
The day after it happened the manager of the Panda express that's between us called my manager and said that dude did went into their place and did the same thing.

The funny thing about it we always give those guys the discount without pay stubs all the time...we just have to ask.
Not that great of a story, but I thought i'd share.
Old 07-07-08, 02:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's pretty funny. I used to take advantage of the B&N discount all the time. I miss that.
Old 07-20-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Has GS changed their return policy on used games, or have I just noticed it for the first time? Last week I bought a lot of games with the PS3 coupon, as well as some PS2 games.

I returned some PS2 games, and bought 1 PS3 game. a few days later I returned said PS3 game to get something else, and was told I could only do the return one time.

I showed that yes there was some previous returns, but the PS3 game was only purchased once, and therefore should be allowed to be returned.

The girl working said that its their policy to only do one return per transaction, but since she knew me, shed let it slide.

On Thursday a friend of mine bought 2 PS2 Sing stars, but decided to return them later that night when we realized a lot of the songs are already on the PS3 version. GS manager wanted a full explanation why he was returning the games so soon.
Old 07-20-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow...i can see one return per ITEM, but not per Transaction. In fact I did a return one time, and on the return receipt it said "Previous item returned--this sale is final" or something. Of course this is back when they took returns on New/Opened items as well
If the item is new and unopened I can see the manager asking the reason for the return, but not denying the return, especially for a good reason (I want the more expensive version with more stuff).

It might not seem to make sense why they gut every (or many) copies; however, some stores are very small, and they don't have room to store 1000 unopened copies of a game in a secure but easily accessible place, but they can store the disks alone. I don't like it, and would prefer the glass case thing, but to some extent I can understand it.
Old 07-20-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
It might not seem to make sense why they gut every (or many) copies; however, some stores are very small, and they don't have room to store 1000 unopened copies of a game in a secure but easily accessible place, but they can store the disks alone. I don't like it, and would prefer the glass case thing, but to some extent I can understand it.
I still can't see opening new games. They should be able to store stock in the back securely. It absolutely makes no sense to me to buy something "new" at full price, that's been opened. If anything keep them all in the back and do the paper slip thing that TRU used to do, like others have mentioned.
Old 07-20-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't disagree, I like the paper thing, or the glass case thing. In these smaller store, you might not even need the paper (Can I buy that game on the shelf there *points* Except that the paper can work as "out of stock" notice too.) But some of the stores, especially the ones in strip malls (not in actual malls), have very small "warehouse" areas, usually in the back. I can't see having to go back there every time someone wants a game, and most of the EBGSs I've been to do not have the room to store all the complete games in the front. They could probably make it work if they quit using the glass cases on their side of the counter for ad space and used it instead for storage space, and they wouldn't need all copies of every item in there.

The "opened = used" thing is interesting. I'm not sure where I am on this. My "new" car had 100 miles on it when I got it--was it "new" or "used"? The shoes I bought yesterday most likely had someone else's feet in them, new or used? Someone probably read the entire magazine I bought at the newsstand - new or used? The produce aisle, they're still charging 50c/lb for bananas even though they've all been touched (though not "used" of course). Games are actually probably the things that can be called "new" most safely, since with proper handling a game doesn't necessarily show any wear or tear, whereas a car has visible wear (mileage), shoes/shirts, possibly (and someone's germs from trying them on.) Does "new" mean "pristine and untouched" or does "new" mean "in the same condition as straight off the factory line"?
Old 07-20-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely deplore when things are held behind a case. I totally understand why it's done, but it makes me avoid shopping in places that do it. Having to find someone at Wal-Mart to open the case for every dvd you want to look at is a PAIN IN THE ASS! Not only that, but it makes browsing pretty impossible (if you like to read the back of boxes). I remember I tried to buy a DS from a Wal-Mart, and I waited 20 minutes before just giving up and leaving the store.
Old 07-20-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The walmarts around here do not have cases for dvds not even the boxsets. But they do for games and it is annoying
Old 07-20-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So forget the glass case, do the paper slip thing or invest in individual plastic cases like BB and CC.
Old 07-20-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They could have the shrinkwrapped games behind the counter secure, and have either one gutted copy (better than gutting them all) or one promo package (like the Coming Soon) things on the shelf to look at.
My walmart has DVDs out on the floor on shelves (some of the DVDs have the sensor on them, you can still look at them but you couldn't steal them), and most of the games, including all the new ones and the consoles, in a locked case. The Greatest hits and older, 20-30$ games are in a regular accessible rack.
Old 07-20-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I have always hated the whole "It's still new" argument they use to justify their silly practice.

But, I though about for a bit. They say they are trying to combat shoplifting, but what happens is someone comes in to rob (or breaks in one night) the store. Well, they sure do make it easy for criminals to make off with an entire store of games in a couple of duffle bags.

I wonder if they've taken that into consideration??

Anyone remember Toys R Us (way back in the day) having the plastic two sided cards (with full box art front and back) with slips you took up to the register??

Now that made sense. You can't shoplift what's not there, and all games are kept in a secure room in their new condition.
Old 07-20-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
The only difference with keeping display cases on the floor and all the sealed games safe in the backroom is having to walk back and forth from the cashwrap to the backroom every single time a new sale is sold during a transaction.

GameStop's are usually run on single coverage shifts unless it's a weekend. Theives would have easy access to shoplifting controllers, or any other live product off the floor, as they can simply wait for the store to empty with customers, and send the cashier off in the back to grab 2-3 games. That's plenty of time to make off like a bandit.
Old 07-21-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
New as in pristine, unused condition... however, how the heck do I know that the game is new? How do I know that they didn't just take a used game and sell it to me as new? If I take a sealed game home, open it but don't play it at all, and return it the same day will they refund me my money? If not, then there is a difference, right?

Does a single shift mean that they only have one person working there? If so, in the time it takes them to turn around and look through that pile of games for the right one, a thief can make off with other things as well. Also, there are many times when they have to go in the back to get the game anyway. I don't think Gamestops gut all their games, I thought they only do it to the display/last copy, which is why I thought it was odd that they would gut all the computer games like that.
Old 07-21-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, I think I could deal with them calling opened merchandise new if I could also return any opened game as new as long as it had the instructions and no scratches on the disc. Seems fair.

However, the opened shit they sell me is new and the opened mint game I bring back is used. This is my problem with the policy. If the only new copy they have is opened I just go somewhere else.
Old 07-21-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
You know, I think I could deal with them calling opened merchandise new if I could also return any opened game as new as long as it had the instructions and no scratches on the disc. Seems fair.

However, the opened shit they sell me is new and the opened mint game I bring back is used. This is my problem with the policy. If the only new copy they have is opened I just go somewhere else.
Yep, it's a crock of shit and the biggest scam going.
Old 07-21-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW, I would add a story I told here years ago which really pushed my limits with the opened is new policy. I preordered Tales of Symphonia for GameCube way back when it came out. I came in to get my copy the day after it came out and found out the only copy they had was opened. I couldn't believe they would open my preordered copy.

Apparently the store manager was in the habit of letting employees take home used and sometimes "new" games to play. According to the employee they didn't get enough copies of the game in so he opened mine and took it home to play it the night before. They didn't understand why it would bother me since it was still "new".

I walked out of the store and contacted the district manager directly. They offered to find a sealed copy for me, but as far as I know didn't really see anything wrong with it being opened though the DM said employees should not be taking games home for private use.

I eventually bought the game on Amazon, but to this day I avoid their opened new games. I also try to never preorder from them, but occasionally they do have a free item I really want and I will preorder. The Apollo Justice keychain comes to mind.

I could even tell another story of EB employees taking all the preorder freebies (I lost out on the Lunar 2 Punching Puppet over this), but everyone gets the point that these stores have their share of bad policies and bad employees.
Old 07-22-08, 12:04 AM

I've heard about employees taking the new games home too. Actually I think its a common thing at some of the local Gamestops. I've bought one opened game there before (a DS game), but I try to avoid it if possible. Its not "new" in my opinion, and they put them in little paper sleeves. I'm sure a lot of them are already scratched up from being in that cabinet/paper sleeve behind the register.

I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but when I was in there last picking up Mario Kart I noticed some of the new games were in the same cabinets as the used ones. It made me wonder what was really new or used at that store.
Old 07-29-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump

Went into Gamestop today, had a $15 credit, wanted to use towards Soul Calibur IV. The clerk gets me a copy of out of a sleeve and goes to get the empty case off the shelf.

I'm thinking irritated to myself, "not this shit". I ask him to look at the disc since it is open. He says, "it's new, the game just got pulled out and put in the sleeve". You know, because tossing a disc into a paper sleeve is the best way to keep it unscratched. Sure enough, there's some small scratching on it. "Yup, it's scratched", I say.

He tries to rub off the scratches with a soft cloth to no avail. "Do you still want it," he asks. "Do you have any sealed copies?" I ask. "No, this is the last copy", he replies. "No thanks, I guess I'll go across the street to Best Buy". And off I go.

*sigh*

I don't know why I even tried. I had a feeling I'd end up with that opened-game crap again.
Old 07-29-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I went to Gamestop today to pick up my copy of MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii. Keep in mind I pre-ordered it last week because I knew I was getting it anyway. I got the call last night that it'd be in today.

I get there and they have zero copies. They never got any Wii versions in and don't have any on order. He offered me the PS2 version instead

I got my deposit back and walked out. Sad when a pre-order isn't in stock.
Old 07-30-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
bump

Went into Gamestop today, had a $15 credit, wanted to use towards Soul Calibur IV. The clerk gets me a copy of out of a sleeve and goes to get the empty case off the shelf.

I'm thinking irritated to myself, "not this shit". I ask him to look at the disc since it is open. He says, "it's new, the game just got pulled out and put in the sleeve". You know, because tossing a disc into a paper sleeve is the best way to keep it unscratched. Sure enough, there's some small scratching on it. "Yup, it's scratched", I say.

He tries to rub off the scratches with a soft cloth to no avail. "Do you still want it," he asks. "Do you have any sealed copies?" I ask. "No, this is the last copy", he replies. "No thanks, I guess I'll go across the street to Best Buy". And off I go.

*sigh*

I don't know why I even tried. I had a feeling I'd end up with that opened-game crap again.

If you would have reserved the game, it would have been sealed. This Gamestop bitching is annoying sometimes...
Old 07-30-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
If you would have reserved the game, it would have been sealed. This Gamestop bitching is annoying sometimes...
Are you kidding? Maybe he stepped in there on a whim and isn't a store that he's never had an opportunity to pre-order from. Maybe he has both a 360 and a PS3, and like me, didn't know which version he wanted until the day it came out. Furthermore, pre-ordering doesn't necessarily guarantee you a copy. Also, This a fairly major release. If they're a video game store, not only should they have way more copies of it on release day than reserves, but they sure as shit don't need to gut a copy since they still have all those empty "coming soon" boxes up, not to mention, people can see the game just fine behind the counter. Is it so outlandish for people to expect to buy a new copy of a major game on the day it's released from a video game store?

Any way you cut it, GS is the annoying party here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.