Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Yep. My friends are all dipping their toes in, one has made a few hundred thousand. Good on em.

Friday and Monday are gonna be shitshows
The following users liked this post:
doblbj2k (01-28-21)
Old 01-27-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes, I got in when it was around $38 a share, but only for a few shares with money I had laying around in my Robin Hood account. So it may end up helping offset some future expenses, but nothing I can retire over unfortunately. I vow to follow r/wallstreetbets more closely in the future, and promptly lose all my gains at a later date.
The following 2 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
Noonan (01-27-21), RichC2 (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the "I started with $20k, made it to $1k and got back to $20k and still know nothing." posts on there

But 2 million+ person buying force is something to be reckoned with
Old 01-27-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Two hedge funds that were short selling the stock finally surrendered and bailed out today after losing billions. Now the same thing is happening with AMC. I don't pretend to understand all of this, but from what I've read it seems like smaller investors are organizing these mass stock purchases on Reddit forums as revenge on Wall Street short sellers.
Old 01-27-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It will be interesting to see when this all ends. One of biggest shorters, Melvin Capital, supposedly just liquidated. Eventually all the shorts will either cover or be liquidated. After that happens, you don't want to be holding any shares.

Trying to time the top in a parabolic market is very risky and basically impossible. A lot of people celebrating their profit now will end up in the red. I love that some hedge funds are taking huge hits after manipulating the markets illegally for years, but this can't end well for every single retail trader.
Old 01-27-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Are people still holding? I would have locked up at least most of my gain already.
Old 01-27-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
II love that some hedge funds are taking huge hits after manipulating the markets illegally for years,

If I had jumped in on this (wish I had), I'd definitely be jumping out now.
Deftones (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Lol. It’s up to $331 now. I wish I knew about how the market works.
Old 01-27-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I bought $200 worth of AMC this morning. Right now I'm up about $70
Old 01-27-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Lol. It’s up to $331 now. I wish I knew about how the market works.
My understanding of it in Gamestop's case, it was hedge funds writing too many options.

My boring, probably wrong explanation:
Spoiler:

One of the main ways to short-sell a company (bet against it) is to write contracts and sell them (these are known as "options"). These basically say "If you pay us $xx amount, we owe you 100 shares of GME for, let's say, $20/share". The expectation here is the stock won't get up to that $20 price before it expires (at which point the hedge fund keeps the money), if it's above $20, it's "In the Money" and they must give you 100 shares of the stock at $20/share. So even if the stock is at $355 - if you had a $20 contract, they owe you 100 shares at $20/share.

Looks like this:

Left side are "Call" options which is where the the hedge funds sell the contracts, you expect the stock will hit the price in the middle. The ones on the right are "Put" options, which are similar to covered shorts with even less risk, so you can short a stock without the risk of losing everything.

These are the ones expiring this Friday. The prices are price per share, each contract is 100 shares, so the actual price for the call 320 strike option is $10,490.

Those got oversold, severely, to the amount of 140% to the number of actual available shares, and the hedge funds didn't have the stocks to make good on the contracts.

So the stock was already getting higher due to /r/wsb interest, once the guy from Chewy joined the board the stock hit this place where all the available "Call" options were "In the money", and the hedge funds could no longer easily buy shares to cover them. The guys on reddit figured this out and began what's known as a Short Squeeze -- the Hedge Funds had millions of shares they had to buy and nobody was selling, so they had to offer more and more money for shares, and people kept holding out, and continue to do so. That's why the stock went up as quickly as it did, and to as high as it did for short periods of time. That's now compounded by general interest because they can't. stop. talking. about. it.

Options exercise at 4:00 PM every Friday, or whenever people manually do it. As such, the hedge fund folks have to buy the shares, at whatever price is asked, especially now that almost every available share is bought up and being held. If the stock is still above $320 on Friday at 4:00 pm, there's a good chance things are going to go sideways (the hedge fund firms claim to have all their shorts covered, but many, many people are calling them out on that.) It could also just as easily come crashing down. They reference it as a YOLO for this reason.

I've been staring at my stocks a lot today and fwiw, what happened with /r/wsb IS normally illegal in financial institutions/hedge funds, but since it's just a message board and nobody was being directed to do anything, just suggested, there's nothing that can technically be done about it.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-27-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But basically you could also be left holding the bag if the shorts get covered for real, right? And what does this do to their stock price after that?
Old 01-27-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
But basically you could also be left holding the bag if the shorts get covered for real, right? And what does this do to their stock price after that?
Absolutely, at which point it's a race to the bottom. Unless everyone agrees to hold for another week and try it again, which is unlikely.

The stock would probably return to its earlier values, around $20. $0 is the bottom in a sell off, but those redditors are pretty loyal to this stock, so it may actually take a breather around $70.

But yeah, this isn't playing the stock market, it's high stakes chicken.
Old 01-27-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Surprised none of you have watched The Big Short. This is what's happening but instead of the mortgage industry, it's individual corporations that are getting shorted. Also, Elon Musk really needs to stop mentioning companies and whatnot. This is also pumping up speculation on what stocks people should buy. He's gonna be one of the first people scrutinized for "market manipulation.
Old 01-27-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Melvin Capital has fully not liquidated their position. They have liquidated a small fraction at best. There has not been enough movement of the stock to facilitate them covering all their short positions.
Old 01-27-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is the general consensus.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Surprised none of you have watched The Big Short. This is what's happening but instead of the mortgage industry, it's individual corporations that are getting shorted. Also, Elon Musk really needs to stop mentioning companies and whatnot. This is also pumping up speculation on what stocks people should buy. He's gonna be one of the first people scrutinized for "market manipulation.
​​​​​​​That was the first thing that came to mind for me
Old 01-27-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I’m not sure I get the gist of this GameStop thing. Sounds like it’s some kind of stock market scam. If someone can explain this in English for those who don’t follow the stock market, I would love some insight.
Old 01-27-21, 05:01 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Why So Blu? (01-28-21)
Old 01-27-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Basically, Hedge funds were selling stocks they didn't have to sell (140% guaranteed over what was actually available).

/r/wallstreetbets and other investors bought up the actual available shares and are holding those shares hostage when it comes time for the Hedge Fund to pay up. This is driving the price up an insane amount.

Initial enthusiasm about GameStop triggered it, but it no longer has much to do with them.

I think the Selena Gomez sequence may be a better explanation of this particular phenomenon, kind of (its still different). Though I do prefer the Margot Robbie scene.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-27-21 at 05:12 PM.
K&AJones (01-28-21)
Old 01-27-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I’m not sure I get the gist of this GameStop thing. Sounds like it’s some kind of stock market scam. If someone can explain this in English for those who don’t follow the stock market, I would love some insight.
This Guardian article seems to explain it the best.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...il-wall-street
Old 01-28-21, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Also, Elon Musk really needs to stop mentioning companies and whatnot. This is also pumping up speculation on what stocks people should buy. He's gonna be one of the first people scrutinized for "market manipulation.
I know Musk has had some iffy tweets in the past, but I highly doubt he has any GME. He wouldn't have made that tweet if he did. If he doesn't have any GME, his tweet is perfectly fine.
Old 01-28-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This one also explains it, as well:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...162734056.html
Old 01-28-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So what wall street is doing is still illegal isn't it?? I mean, how are they allowed to stop you from trading on specific stocks? It's because billionaires are starting to lose out right and by stopping the trading it will allow them to get out.

Just in general, I'm not sure how WS is allowed to do what they're doing.

I don't have the most knowledge when it comes to this stuff but in the black and white.....it seems like what they're doing is illegal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rival11:
Giantrobo (01-28-21), K&AJones (01-28-21)
Old 01-28-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, what's happening now should very much be illegal, but a little money and power goes a long way.
Old 01-28-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

In a nut shell....these High & Mighty Elitist on Wall Street thought it was going to be business as usual and they make a lot of $$$ and everyone laugh it up....well a group of people...those paying attention...on Reddit saw and knew exactlly what was happening and played the same game except turned the tables on these Hedge Funds blindsiding them and taking their pants, shirt, shoes and underwear and any and everything else....

...so what do they do...well since Wall Street...and Big Tech...are alll buddy-buddy....Hedgefunds that lost the clothes off their back went to Media and The Big Heads on Wall Street and shut this down including the Trading App - Robinhood.....basically, THEY and only THEY are allowed to do this, someone else (outsiders) played by the same rules, cleaned their clocks, they thru a temper-tantrum and even some company has pulled The Server linking Robinhood claiming...ready...violates their code and labeled it Hate Speech and Threat....no joke...

I find it odd that some single stock that was basically called trash, hardly a blimp, concern suddenly is in the entire Financial Spotlight, has some Democrats Attention and White House Monitoring...

White House Is Monitoring GameStop Stock Situation; AOC And Elizabeth Warren Weigh In
The situation surrounding GameStop's stock price has caught the attention of Biden's White House. .
White House Is Monitoring GameStop Stock Situation; AOC And Elizabeth Warren Weigh In - GameSpot

Last edited by K&AJones; 01-28-21 at 02:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by K&AJones:
milo bloom (01-29-21), Rob V (01-29-21)
Old 01-28-21, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's less that Wall Street and Big Tech are buddy buddy and more that Robin Hood is at least partially owned/beholden to Wall Street.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.