Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 06:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just have to say, this sentence is amazing:

"This isn't so much killing the goose that laid the golden egg as sexually assaulting it then filming the worlds first bestiality/metallurgy/snuff film."
Old 07-30-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Gamestop isn't even a good resource for niche titles anymore. I tried to buy Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection, but it wasn't an important enough title for them to stock. Had to get it at Best Buy. I was worried about getting Arkanoid DS and Space Invaders Extreme and tried to preorder them, but again they weren't important enough titles for Gamestop to allow preorders.

I don't need a store like Gamestop to buy GTA IV and Metal Gear Solid at. I can get those anywhere. The way you make me loyal to your store is to carry the niche titles. Isn't that the whole point of a games store? Instead they just want to rip you off on trade ins and preorder big titles to you that you have no trouble buying anywhere on day one. Besides being a pawn shop for video games they seem to serve no useful purpose anymore.
Old 07-31-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to buy used games at GS when they have coupons for 25-30% off, and with an extra 10% from Edge card, you can get some good deals.
Old 07-31-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
But they won't be able to function as the pawn-shop they are now (i.e. selling used games), and will still be shit out of luck.
Sadly, so will we. I have consistently paid about $10 on average for games purchased from GameStop using the B2G1 and some of their coupon misprints (that $5 off GameCube games with no minimum price was great). Us bargain gamers will be screwed when we move to no physical media. That doesn't even take into account all of the DRM hasstles we will have to deal with.
Old 07-31-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I read a few months ago that a new faster speed of internet is coming out. It'll download a blu ray size disc in a matter of minutes.
It will be many many years before widespread adoption of speeds that great. You also have the problem of a hard drive not being able to write data that size in that amount of time (20+ GB in minutes).
Old 08-06-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And the hits just keep on comin'!

http://theexplodingbarrel.com/?p=614

At around 11:55 pm toward the end of a delightful September’s day, a local Commerce Bank employee came into our store looking to reserve yet another one of these alien vs. human space epic shooters, which I believe goes by the name of Halo 3. The game was going to be released in about five minutes, but paying for the full thing, all 63 dollars and 49 cents of it guaranteed him a quick pick-up after the clocked ticked to the next day. In order to take his reserve, and his money, I first needed to bring up his information. I asked for his phone number and received it. As a regular customer, his name came up as did any game he had reserved and has yet to pick up. At that moment I noticed something special, for him anyway, which was the fact that he had a fully paid-off copy of another alien versus human epic shooter, I believe called Gears of War, and I could simply transfer the balance to Halo 3 giving him what would now seem like a free game. He was overjoyed at the prospect of not having to shell out any of his hard earned cash and gladly accepted the balance transfer. After the transaction was complete, my manager took me aside and what she said changed my whole outlook on EB Gamestop forever.

EB Gamestop is a multimillion dollar corporation once owned by Barnes and Noble, but I always assumed that they were one of those good monopolies… you know like… Febreeze. She brings me to the other computer and types in a couple of secret manager passwords which brings up a screen of released games with a number next to each one. She immediately scrolls down to Madden 08 and points at the number. “How many people have this game reserved?” she asked. I then realized that the number next to the game represents the people who still have the game reserved. “42”, I respond completely flabbergasted. She then said, “People often forget where they reserved a game, pick it up somewhere else, or just do not care. Now while corporate does not just come out and say it, they really do not like us to remind people they have things reserved that already passed because at the year anniversary of that game’s release date, the reserve sku and the money magically disappear.” Not knowing what to say next, I got extremely curious and asked her to scroll down to Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Gamecube, and to my astonishment there was still a shocking 99 reserves in our system that would disappear forever on December 3rd.

While undeniably shitty, this falls more on the consumer in my opinion. If you're dumb enough to forget you reserved something or gave someone something in earnest and expected something in return, you damn well better keep up on it.

That said, it's unbelievable that GS would exploit that.

Last edited by pinata242; 08-06-08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242

Totally believable, IMO.
Old 08-06-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Part of me can't wait for them to go out of business. But then I realize that if they do, these asshats that run the company will disperse throughout corporate America and apply their shady shenanigans elsewhere. Better to keep them in this one place I know they're at just so they're easier to avoid.
Old 08-06-08, 03:42 PM

And the hits just keep on comin'!

http://theexplodingbarrel.com/?p=614

While undeniably shitty, this falls more on the consumer in my opinion. If you're dumb enough to forget you reserved something or gave someone something in earnest and expected something in return, you damn well better keep up on it.

Although it's believable that GS would do this if they could, I call BS on the article. Most states have unclaimed property laws whereby unclaimed items and money must be turned over to the state for them to hold. They're in place specifically to prevent practices like this. This is something that could potential be turned into a class action suit if true. If this practice was widespread, I'd expect it to have been noticed earlier on their financial statements, just from the liability and reduced revenue standpoint.

Taken from California's State Controller Office
The Unclaimed Property law was enacted to prevent holders of Unclaimed Property from using your money and taking it into their business income. This law gives the State an opportunity to return your money and provides California citizens with a single source, the State Controller's Office, to check for Unclaimed Property that may be reported by holders from around the nation.
Old 08-06-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I agree. When I read that I thought about how some stores count on people either forgetting to send in requests for rebate checks, or not following up on the check processing after they send requests in.

I just recently found a Verizon rebate form for $50 I was supposed to send in before July. I'm sure Verizon isn't upset that I forgot to do this, and it was no one's fault but mine for not doing it. So if some guy reserves a game and/or pays for a reserved game, that's on him to follow up whether that means canceling if he bought it elsewhere, or picking it up after the release.
Old 08-06-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keyed
Although it's believable that GS would do this if they could, I call BS on the article. Most states have unclaimed property laws whereby unclaimed items and money must be turned over to the state for them to hold. They're in place specifically to prevent practices like this. This is something that could potential be turned into a class action suit if true. If this practice was widespread, I'd expect it to have been noticed earlier on their financial statements, just from the liability and reduced revenue standpoint.

Taken from California's State Controller Office
If you read the article (not just what I copy/pasted), you'll see that the money doesn't really disappear, just what SKU you originally reserved against does. Do while the money is still associated with your name/number, it doesn't list "StarFox 64" anymore as what you forgot you reserved.

It's kind of no different than buying gift cards at any store that you never use or lose. They don't expire and the company keeps it in their liquid assets, but you don't have access to it anymore. Actually, I guess that's worse.

So I don't think they're in violation of laws, per se. Just general shadiness.
Old 08-06-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just hearing from a (remarkably) vocal minority here: picky, difficult to please customers who can and will find something to bitch about anywhere they go.

Personally, I've never had any problems with Gamestop. No aggressive employee or preorder scam stories here. And as far as trade-ins go, I know what I'm getting into before I walk into the store, so no horror stories about that either.
Old 08-06-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow. The one time I preordered from GS, they called me as soon as they opened that day and left a message saying the game was there and would be there behind the counter for a week (SMT Nocturne, and it was sealed). The only "trouble" I've had is the proactive "Care to preorder Hot New Game?" upon checkout, and I liken that to "would you like to supersize that?"
I'm with you, my experiences do not in the slightest echo these stories of Evil Corporate Overlords and Stupid Corporate Underlings we always hear about. At least no more so than shopping at any other retailer. I know they're out there, either they're overrepresented in the stories because they're fun stories, or they're just told a lot.
Trade-ins, I know I'll get crap so I go in aware of that; if Value Offered is greater than Inconvenience of Ebaying/Amazoning, I'll take the trade, if not, I'll say "Thanks, I'll keep them."
Old 08-06-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
It's the old saying "A satisfied customer will tell 2 friends. A dissatisfied one will tell 8" in action.

I may have the numbers wrong (and if I do I'm sure someone here won't hesitate to jump on it and correct me), but you get the idea.
Old 08-06-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
My local GS must be a renegade store... I've had good experiences with them. 3 years+ ago I was buying up Sega Genesis games for $0.25 each. They gave me $315 for my XBox 360 and handful of games when I traded them in for a PS3 80GB. And just yesterday I took advantage of their buy2-get3 DVD deal... 5 seasons of Seinfeld for $40 is good.

I don't doubt that the horror stories are true though.
Old 08-07-08, 02:08 AM

If you read the article (not just what I copy/pasted), you'll see that the money doesn't really disappear, just what SKU you originally reserved against does. Do while the money is still associated with your name/number, it doesn't list "StarFox 64" anymore as what you forgot you reserved.

It's kind of no different than buying gift cards at any store that you never use or lose. They don't expire and the company keeps it in their liquid assets, but you don't have access to it anymore. Actually, I guess that's worse.

So I don't think they're in violation of laws, per se. Just general shadiness.
I did read the article. The problem is that Gamestop's a public company, and keeping the deposits doesn't do anything for their financial statements. It probably hurts them a little because sitting money doesn't translate as revenue, and while it might be sitting in their bank, on the books, it's considered a liability until the product is sold.

I'm not sure why a manager would want to keep the money in the system either. Aren't manager's mainly concerned with sales #s, and an unspent deposit represents a lost sale.
Old 08-07-08, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
I don't think it's that we're really hard to please... is it too much to ask that they keep their new copies sealed (especially if they wouldn't take that same copy in as a new game)? That they sell me a game they have behind the counter if they have enough stock, even if I didn't preorder? That they have the preorder bonus waiting for me when I preorder months in advance and put a deposit down? That they have the game waiting for me when I preorder months in advance? That they give accurate information about games when asked? That they don't try to ridicule me if I don't preorder the game they want me to?

It's telling that for the most part, the best things people can say about them are that they occasionally have good sales and that they're not as harassing as others claim. I haven't seen anyone say that they did a great job recommending a game that would've otherwise been missed, or that the employees were just a fountain of information and extra helpful in buying a product, or something like that. I think that's what a game-specific store should be, otherwise why go to them instead of the big box store? There are stores and employees out there like this, but they seem to be few and far between. But I am interested in any cool stories people have about game stores.
Old 08-07-08, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Wow. The one time I preordered from GS, they called me as soon as they opened that day and left a message saying the game was there and would be there behind the counter for a week (SMT Nocturne, and it was sealed).
Yeah, I preordered Zelda there (to get the gamecube Ocarina disk) and I think 2 or 3 other games over the last 10 years, and they've called me each time.

I don't have a "true" horror story either, same goes for Wal-Mart that other much maligned retail store, but I can say I don't like the way they do business. A lot of what they get away with does fall on uninformed customers though (it kills me to see kids trading in their PSPs and 360's for $40 and $80 bucks).
Old 08-07-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never really had an outstanding experience at the stores. Since they never really go all out as far as customer service I don't feel bad going in an changing preorders all the time. I went in and took the money I had put on MGS4 and moved it to Fable 2. Now I have to go back and change Fable 2 to the regular edition because I didn't realize that the collector's edition was 80.00 and I thought the pub games only came with the more expensive edition. I will happily give them my money but I make them work for it a bit.
Old 08-07-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's telling that for the most part, the best things people can say about them are that they occasionally have good sales and that they're not as harassing as others claim. I haven't seen anyone say that they did a great job recommending a game that would've otherwise been missed, or that the employees were just a fountain of information and extra helpful in buying a product, or something like that. I think that's what a game-specific store should be, otherwise why go to them instead of the big box store? There are stores and employees out there like this, but they seem to be few and far between. But I am interested in any cool stories people have about game stores.
You are on a videogame message board. How many people in here don't already know what they want? I personally have a huge list of games I am interested in getting. I hear about everything I am interested on podcasts and the internet. Have you gone into any media store and had them recommend something you weren't already aware of? I haven't. On the other hand, I have been in Gamestops (the good ones anyway) where the clerks will help a clueless mom pick out a good game.
Old 10-01-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Here's a new one. I got screwed by Gamestop today and I didn't even go in a store!

I tossed my 360 on Craigslist last night, sans hard drive, opting to include a memory unit instead. I got a call earlier and the guy was jazzed about getting it. He said he could live without the hard drive as long as he could get on Live with the MU, which I assured him he could. He called back a bit ago saying he called GS and was told you cannot get on Live w/o a hard drive. I reassured him he could and even sent him a link to xbox.com showing the requirements but alas, no sale.

I'm not sure if the GS employee was just trying to push a hard drive or just a moron but either way it's poor service to lie to a customer for a sale. I guess if you tell yourself enough times that an open game is still new you start to believe the lies yourself.
Old 10-02-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My biggest gripe with Gamestop was that when they had DVDs. I would find 3 when they had the buy 2 get 1 free. Just about EVERY time they would find 2 of the DVDs but not the third. That was when I just gave up on them. I am VERY lucky to have a used media store nearby that has EVERY game format, DVDs, CDs, books, VHS, records, etc. Their prices are decent and I typiclly find an item to sell on Ebay that pays for it all.
Old 03-11-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Old 03-11-09, 04:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perfect.
Old 03-11-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The only problem I see with that is they'll probably give you very little in exchange for your guns.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.