Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Old 04-29-08, 10:43 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keit2208
i'm getting some freezing/slowdown on my 60gb ps3...
I'm also having minor freezing issues on my 40GB. Occasionally, the screen will just freeze for a few seconds, while the audio is still going. Though play resumes immediately after a 3-5 second delay, this is quite annoying. This happens very rarely though, and from what I've been hearing, the 60GB models has the brunt of these issues. I sometimes turn on the game and play without a hiccup, and I have never even once seen pop-up or framerate issues in the game. Rockstar needs to release a patch before the end of this week...
Old 04-29-08, 10:45 PM
Banned

Have to echo the lament for the controls. The GTAs are my favorite games, but IV has terrible controls, even by GTA standards. I can deal with Niko, but the car situation is insane. I hate to lose achievements, but I might have to if there is an "improve car handling" cheat.
Old 04-29-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the controls are fantastic...EXCEPT for the helicopter.

Anyone know how to bowl well yet?
Old 04-29-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My brother and I live together and it seems only one of us can play multiplayer at once....I was trying while he was in a game and it kept saying disconnect from game session when I would try to get in....Can we both not play online at the same time on the same router? Anyone have an answer that could help me?
Old 04-29-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
OK I think I died in the lamest way possible. I was out on a date, and I drove the car into the mini golf course, and wound up submerging us in the little pond LOL.
I gotcha beat.

After picking up a hooker, we ended up in the thruway. As I was driving, I got a little...twitchy and somehow the car flipped over and we ended up upside down. Since the car stopped, the "Press L1 to cycle" thingie came up, so I selected a handjob. Once she finished, I clicked the triangle to get out of the car and she did too. Since traffic was blocked up because of us, I went to jack another car, but couldn't move much when I got in. So the hooker came over and yanked my ass outta the car and she and the car's owner beat the holy hell outta me..

As for the stuttering and whatever else has been reported...i've been playing for about 5-6 hours total and haven't had a problem yet.

Knock on wood.
(or brick...)
Old 04-29-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts
I gotta call bullshit on this quote from the article:
Originally Posted by 1up
In contrast, the typical 'hardcore' potential PS3 owner is still on the sidelines, also for a variety of reasons...
If someone's a "hardcore" potential PS3 owner, whatever that means, there's no fucking way they're still on the sidelines.
Old 04-29-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by IIG
I'm also having minor freezing issues on my 40GB. Occasionally, the screen will just freeze for a few seconds, while the audio is still going. Though play resumes immediately after a 3-5 second delay, this is quite annoying.
I've been getting these same pauses on my 20GB right from the opening credits. It stopped briefly after I left the game paused for a bit and went back to playing; ten minutes later, it started up really bad when I went to chase Darden in the car. Had to shut it off because the game is literally unplayable.

Won't be keeping this one, apparently...
Old 04-29-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, it sounds like all the pausing issues are with the PS3 version?
Old 04-29-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quack
My brother and I live together and it seems only one of us can play multiplayer at once....I was trying while he was in a game and it kept saying disconnect from game session when I would try to get in....Can we both not play online at the same time on the same router? Anyone have an answer that could help me?
how many consoles?

if one - see posts 214 and 215, if more than one. I have no clue.
Old 04-29-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923

Anyone know how to bowl well yet?
I threw three straight strikes, then proceeded to screw up the next few frames. Oh well.
Old 04-29-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
how many consoles?

if one - see posts 214 and 215, if more than one. I have no clue.
We each have a console as well as a copy of the game....I just don't see why we wouldn't be able to play at the same time....
Old 04-29-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I threw three straight strikes, then proceeded to screw up the next few frames. Oh well.
Did you move in any certain way to get the strikes?
Old 04-29-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Moved to the right, just slightly off center.
Old 04-29-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll try that...I'd been moving left.
Old 04-30-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
So, how long will it be before this game finds its way into the PC?
I'd guess 6 months at least.

Heh, I've never had a whole lot of friends on Live, but it's funny to see so many people on and all playing GTA. I don't even think Halo 3 was that packed.
Old 04-30-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
So did the other GTA's. The controls are fine. The driving controls are hard to get used to but it's more realistic.

I love everything so far about the game.
Agreed. Played 3 hours of Multi-player after I picked the game up last night. Was able to jump right in and got used to the controls within minutes of playing it. Game is freaking awesome.
Old 04-30-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I just saw this on another forum. Pretty great story...
Sad world we live in. People were justifying him stealing the game by saying "it's just a game"!?!??! Was the thief arrested?
Old 04-30-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts
FWIW I played about 4 hours straight tonight on a 60GB PS3 with no pauses at all (knock on wood).

I was mostly just doing random mayhem. The cop followed me all the way to the top of the World's Fair thing! Still trying to find a good place to snipe civilians from where I can't be reach by the cops.
Old 04-30-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I find the controls very intuitive and within minutes I got the hang of it. Once I figured out how to use cover, it was aces. Great game so far, and there's so much to do, I can't wait to get my hands back on the remote control.
Old 04-30-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Also, I can't find the station with metal. I know the page here says Radio Broker but it's nothing but crap. Where's the Slayer and Tool?
I think it's the LFCC station?

Man this game is awesome. This is the first GTA where I actually want to work my way up to being a complete psycho instead of just going on rampages right away. I think they did a great job of pacing the story, making the controls more realistic, and constructing such a detailed environment, that even at 20% complete I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what's there. It gets a little hectic with so many people calling, and dating, emailing, etc., but once I'm done with the story I look forward to laying waste.
Old 04-30-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack
We each have a console as well as a copy of the game....I just don't see why we wouldn't be able to play at the same time....
over live or lan?

If Lan - i don't think you can do that.
Old 04-30-08, 01:19 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Meh. So far I"m about 1.5 hours in and I'm underwhelmed. The control scheme is horrible. I mean, down right horrible to the point Rockstar being ashamed. It's floaty and not very responsive. Looks good and the story is good. I'll keep playing, but I'm really not having fun dealing with the controls.
I agree, except that I am similarly unimpressed by the graphics and story. In no way should this game have received perfect scores. The horrible control and camera issues alone should have foreclosed that. Also, there just doesn't seem to be much innovation in the single player component of the game. It is more or less the same as in previous incarnations. At some point, enough is enough for me; and I think I am at that point. I have not tried multiplayer yet, so I hope that changes things but as of right now I am not having fun.
Old 04-30-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The music list posted earlier in this thread is false - there is no metal station, or any songs by 2Pac.
Old 04-30-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JM
I agree, except that I am similarly unimpressed by the graphics and story. In no way should this game have received perfect scores. The horrible control and camera issues alone should have foreclosed that. Also, there just doesn't seem to be much innovation in the single player component of the game. It is more or less the same as in previous incarnations. At some point, enough is enough for me; and I think I am at that point. I have not tried multiplayer yet, so I hope that changes things but as of right now I am not having fun.
I also agree with Deftones. This is the similar GTA we played and love but there is nothing new to it. The controls are a bit sluggish too. It's not very responsive, there's a delay.
Old 04-30-08, 02:50 AM

freeze freeze freeze. I can't play for more than 5 minutes on my Xbox Elite. This stinks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.