Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-27-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CKMorpheus:

Whole slew of perfect scored reviews!

Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ IGN UK

No surprises here, IGN UK's review gives Grand Theft Auto IV a full set of 10s:

Expectations were so high for Grand Theft Auto IV that one of the biggest surprises is that itís managed to meet them. That itís also gone on to confound these is truly a marvel, and the gameís Liberty City is nothing less than one of the greatest videogame worlds yet conceived. With this game, Rockstar has set out to free itself from the excesses of the series past to emphasise the character of its world, and in doing so has created a high watermark in the relationship between narrative and play. Itís no less than the definitive open world game, and by that measure the definitive interactive experience of this generation to date.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ TeamXbox

Gameplay: 9.9; Graphics: 9.8; Audio, Longevity, Innovation: 10; Overall: 10.

Having laid out all these amazing things that Rockstar has achieved in moving their game miles ahead of anything any one has ever attempted to do in a video game, Iíve barely scratched the surface of what gamers will experience playing through. I havenít even covered going on dates, watching TV, your friend Brucie, getting on the internet, the great gps system or the four player co-operative missions. There are so many little things, so many great details, so many unexpected random events, that I could write a book and it would just be an incredibly long list of observations. Instead, go play the game for yourself. When you see how Rockstar brought everything together in a perfect storm of video game design, youíll think about the score we gave it and youíll have a hard time disagreeing. I promise.
Me thinks they like GTA IV.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ GameSpy

The GameSpy chaps gave both versions five-out-of-five:

To be totally honest, it would be very easy to write another 2000-odd words on this game, as we haven't even delved into the hours of television you can watch, the amazingly detailed virtual Internet, the strip clubs that you can visit, the ultra-realistic vehicle physics, and so on. Suffice it to say that Grand Theft Auto IV is a game that could keep anyone busy for a long, long time. Although its got plenty of excellent features, it's ultimately the storytelling that makes it an instant classic, a game unlike any we've played before. As is the case with many great books and movies, you'll want to know what happens to the characters after the game ends, and one can't help hoping that all of their American Dreams comes true.
Xbox 360 Cons:Occasional graphical glitches; combat can be troublesome in confined spaces; not for the easily offended.
Playstation 3 Cons: Occasional graphical glitches; combat can be troublesome in confined spaces; not for the easily offended; Sixaxis controls feel tacked on.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ EuroGamer

Penultimate paragraph complaints aren't enough to stop EuroGamer from giving GTAIV a "perfect" 10/10:

Like the PS2 games before this, though, some of this comes at a cost. We've all read by now about the PS3 install time (look out for a special Face-Off feature next week), but the frame-rate also takes punishment throughout, polluted by Rockstar's unashamed ambition, with noticeable pop-in in places. It never once stopped me enjoying myself, though. The only things that did that were the occasional stickiness of cover points when trying to manoeuvre quickly, the continued absence of mid-mission checkpoints (itself only irritating when a mission begins with a long drive, which is rare), and some clunkiness in ladder-climbing and vaulting objects. And perhaps Niko's arsenal, which is quite basic, even though it's versatile.

Otherwise, GTA IV is the 10/10 you were expecting. Almost everything you do in Liberty City would be good enough to drive its own game, and the best parts would be good enough to outrun the competition, but the reason it works so well is that Rockstar has made a game that requires no patience to play. This, as much as its usual coherency and the best script in the series, is what makes GTA IV the best openworld game yet, and why it will take something miraculous to rob it of game of the year status.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ 1UP

Ziff "we don't do scores" Davis awards GTAIV an A+++ via 1UP's review:

During our marathon multiplayer test session, the developers shared one of their favorite custom games (they call it "King Kong") in the make-your-own-rules Free Mode. Here, a few rocket-launcher-packing daredevils perch themselves on Rotterdam Tower (Liberty City's version of the Empire State Building) while the rest hop into choppers and try to blast them off the building. It's just one example of the limitless game types inventive players can whip up in Free Mode -- once they get over the initial, human-nature impulse to start blasting as soon as the game starts with all 16 players in a circle. But long before they resort to any DIY game design, players have plenty to keep them busy in the other modes. Even the expected deathmatch, Team DM, and race variants have that anything-can-happen GTA vibe. The objective-based Mafiya Work, Car Jack City, and Turf War modes demand teamwork and come across like an urban Battlefield 1942, with players in four-seat helicopters and cars adopting de-facto roles like navigator (continuously adjusting the GPS designator to follow objectives) or door gunner.
Old 04-27-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly think I'm more pumped up for this game than any other game, ever.
Old 04-27-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html?type=

Game Trailers video review
Old 04-27-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep... can't wait for the multiplayer experience...

If anyone wants to get in on the action together, then feel free to send a FR.

I already have Martin and Groucho (among others) in my sights for some carjacking and vehicle man-slaughter mayhem....
Old 04-27-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just to end the console debate:

Originally Posted by Kotaku
It was inevitable. With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competing for the "next-gen" first place spot, both armed with Grand Theft Auto IV shipping day and date, nitpicking comparisons between each version was expected from vocal fans. Rockstar Games has commented multiple times that both versions are identical, minus a few platform specific features and Xbox 360 exclusives.

We've played both versions of GTA IVóquite a bit, actually. We've noticed a handful of differences, some of which you know, some which you may not, many of them hair-splitting. We break it down, from frame rate to controls, after the break.

Installation
The PlayStation 3 version has a mandatory 3.4 GB hard drive installation that will be the longest 7 minutes and 20 seconds of your life if your chomping at the bit to play. It's initially an annoyance, but PS3 owners will welcome it. There is no option to install the game to an Xbox 360 hard drive.

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Graphics
The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television settings and require the finest of fine tooth combs to assess.

Downloadable Content
The Xbox 360 version is announced to have two exclusive downloadable content packs for purchase. Details on what will be contained in those two exclusive batches of DLC are sparse, so we can't judge what they'll bring to the table, nor do we know if the PlayStation 3 version will eventually get its own DLC from Rockstar. If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

Achievements
The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

Motion Controls
The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

Good Vibrations
GTA IV supports vibration in the Xbox 360 controller and the DualShock 3, so PS3 owners won't be left in the force feedback lurch.

The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

Final Thoughts
If this were a personal decision, I'd have chosen the PlayStation 3 edition, mostly based on my preference for the DualShock controller and the performance edge. However, one thing that we have yet to experience is how well the PlayStation Network will handle the online portions of GTA IV, an extremely important consideration. I place less of an emphasis on features like Achievements and Gamerscore, but appreciate how well crafted these features are.

In the end, each version stands on its own, with the only downside to the differences being that those invested in their particularly backed console will expend so much effort focusing on something far less important than the game itself.
http://kotaku.com/384422/which-versi...d-360-versions
Old 04-27-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would it be possible to have a post with everyone's multiplayer id for each console? XBL and PS3?

I'm getting it for the PS3 and would like to play my fellow DVDtalkers in multiplayer.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So basically, it's a push and comes down to personal preference. Good.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Would it be possible to have a post with everyone's multiplayer id for each console? XBL and PS3?

I'm getting it for the PS3 and would like to play my fellow DVDtalkers in multiplayer.
chibul329 here (XBL)
Old 04-27-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm trying to decide whether I want the regular version or SE. The SE is pretty cool (even for the extra $30) but I would not be happy if it ended up selling for $60 later like the Halo 3 SE.
Old 04-27-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

chibearfan
Old 04-27-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I for one can't wait for people to start saying how this should be on the Wii
Old 04-27-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

360 - luke1014
Old 04-27-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamestop called last night with a message that I should show up at 6pm! I'm going at 11pm. Who really shows up that early?

360: bauer83
Old 04-27-08, 02:17 PM

360: alxreys
Old 04-27-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

360 version, tag in my sig!
Old 04-27-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
360 - Scorpy Gkar
Old 04-27-08, 03:22 PM

Feel free to send me a friend request on the 360 - MStokes
Old 04-27-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

360: koyaani

I actually got an email from amazon yesterday morning saying the game had already shipped! Today I got the email from Microsoft saying my replacement 360 has shipped. It would be a glorious day if they both showed up at the same time.
Old 04-27-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lotsa xbox owners here.

Wow, it's going to be lonely owning a PS3 with this game.
Old 04-27-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

360 - CBrentL

I am not signed up to XBL to play yet, but I will be soon, so go ahead and add me if you haven't already.
Old 04-27-08, 04:24 PM
Banned by request

Here's what I don't get, that Kotaku breakdown makes the 360 version sound better technically (except for the pre-load on the HDD, which seems to have only negligible benefits) and with the DLC. But then their synopsis at the end says that the PS3 has a better technical presentation. Quoi?

I wasn't going to buy this, but damn those reviews sure make the game sound good. I'm torn between the PS3 and 360. I'd like the DLC, but a lot of people I work with play on the PS3, so I'd probably do more online with them.

Also, I watched the video of the hookers in the last thread, and I'm curious: Is that what the voices of the characters really sound like? If so, that would kill the game for me. Every single person sounded obnoxious as hell.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-27-08 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PS3- awil1026
Old 04-27-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dear god, can we move the gamertags into it's own thread.
Old 04-27-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking of some ideas for free mode and heres one of em:

High Rise Battle Royale: All players head to the hightest rooftop. With no weapons, the objective is to knock your opponent off of the building. The last person to stay on the roof wins.
Old 04-27-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
How's Costco with new game releases? Usually they're like $7 cheaper on games, and I know when Halo 3 came out they had tons of copies for $49.99. Any one know if there's a good chance they would have GTA on release day?

Else i'll probably just hit up Target in the morning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.