Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I'll just stick with my laptop, PC or PS3 for browsing.
Old 11-12-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My kids are the only ones that play the Wii these days and I'm the only one that would possibly use the browser. I was in on the free browser back in the day. No way will I shell out 500 points for something I won't use.
Old 11-12-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wii browser gets plenty of usage in my family. Youtube is a big reason and it was nice to see Youtube actually create a Wii version of their site. The new browser options sound great. The tab browsing cube looks cool and I'm intrigued about the Wii Speak support.
Old 11-13-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
From Gamepro.com

A new survey from the renown consumer tracking firm Nielsen found Wii usage is actually relatively healthy compared to other consoles.

All three, dust free.
Anyone who's visited an Internet forum, read a blog, or visited a news site like GamePro has seen it at least once. "My Wii," someone will say, "is gathering dust."

It's an Internet meme that's had considerable legs, starting pretty much when the Wii launched in 2006, and lasting to the present. The funny thing is that for a majority of Wii owners today, it isn't true.

In fact, new research out of the Nielsen Group today revealed that the Wii is actually a system that's played pretty consistently every month out of the year.

According to the chart, from September 2007 through August 2008, the average Wii was played, on average, five and six days per month for roughly 50 minutes at a time. The numbers remained consistent throughout the year.

But let's not forget about the other consoles. In an interview with GameDaily, Nielsen Games marketing manager Brad Raczka said, "all next generation consoles (Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii) continue to grow in terms of their overall consumption of usage minutes compared to the last generation."

In fact, Nielsen found that month over month the trend is continuing into 2008 and 2009. After seeing and playing the large number of solid new releases over the past two months we're inclined to agree.
Old 11-13-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4-5 hours per month isn't exactly frequent use. I can attest to the fact that I am bringing that average, on average, down.
Old 11-13-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Anyone who's visited an Internet forum, read a blog, or visited a news site like GamePro has seen it at least once. "My Wii," someone will say, "is gathering dust."

It's an Internet meme that's had considerable legs, starting pretty much when the Wii launched in 2006, and lasting to the present. The funny thing is that for a majority of Wii owners today, it isn't true.
It's absolutely true of Wii owners who also own a 360 or a PS3.

But if a Wii is the only console someone has, then of course it'll get some use - though not nearly as much as, say a 360, would if that were the only console in a home.
Old 11-13-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My consoles gather dust and I play them. I just don't dust them.
Old 11-16-08, 06:14 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I rarely ever play my Wii anymore. I just don't have the desire to. I guess it's because I'm more of a hardcore gamer, as opposed to a casual gamer. My 360 gets the most use, followed by my PS3. I still have some games that I need to play through on the Wii, but I guess I'll do that in due time. The best part about the system and the one thing that keeps me coming back is the Virtual Console.
Old 11-16-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all three now and the Wii is definitely the least used. What use mine has gotten recently has been due to the VC and Wii Ware, but I have been really happy lately with the content on the store. Worth owning just for that.
Old 11-17-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
While my 360 is vacationing in Texas, I finally got around to cracking open Wario Land: Shake It. I'm enjoying it a lot.

If you just blast through all the levels, it is going to be very short and not enjoyable, but if you do all the missions and go for all the treasure, it is a lot of fun and will last much longer.
Old 11-17-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Wario Land: Shake It is quite good. De Blob is another Wii game that's worth a look.
Old 11-17-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Well, there is one truly "hardcore" game coming to the Wii next month.

I'm pretty excited for it, but being an obscure SHMUP collection, it's for another level of hardcore even beyond those that are fans of Halo and Gears.
Old 11-17-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
From Gamepro.com

Wii leads Xbox 360 by 2 mln units in U.S.
New report shows how dominate the Nintendo console has become, launching a full year after Microsoft's Xbox 360.

The Wii sucks. People only use it to play Wii Sports. It's collecting dust. It will still fade. Right?

Myth.

Some traditional gamers might still feel alienated by new ideas, but collective Americans love 'em. So much that the Wii console lead over Xbox 360 now stands at 2 million units in the U.S., according to the NPD, this despite the former launching a full year after the latter.

As it stands, Nintendo has sold 13.4 million Wii units to Microsoft's 11.6 million Xbox 360s sold. By comparison, Sony has sold just 5.7 million PS3 units since the console launched in October 2006.

The Wii also leads by a sizable global margin too. According to September filings, Nintendo has sold 35 million Wiis worldwide, followed by Microsoft with 22 million Xbox 360s, and Sony with 17 million PS3s.
Old 11-17-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Well, there is one truly "hardcore" game coming to the Wii next month.

I'm pretty excited for it, but being an obscure SHMUP collection, it's for another level of hardcore even beyond those that are fans of Halo and Gears.
Cool. Glad that one is finally coming out. Most of those required a Dreamcast and imported games to play.
Old 11-17-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My 360 collects dust. Mainly because I don't dust it.
Old 11-18-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A new firmware update has just been released that brings Wii owners to the 3.4 version. So far, all that we know about this update officially is that it added USB keyboard support to the Mii Channel, enhanced Parental Controls, and possibly blocked some hacks. WiiRevolution1 on NSider 2 did some snooping and found an announcement about the new firmware update on the Japanese Nintendo site. The Google translation says, “In some of the SD Memory Card to improve the speed of reading and writing. Wii will improve the ability to read the disk.”

That sounds like it might make it faster to transfer things to and from a SD card. WiiRevolution1 tested it out and said it now took him 3 seconds to transfer 90 blocks, which from what I’ve experienced in the past, is a significant increase. Hopefully we’ll get more details on this firmware update. Oh, and there are some that believe this update added the section on the Wii Shop Channel to enter Wii Download Ticket Numbers. That actually came a few days ago, so that’s not a part of the new firmware update.
Old 11-19-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a glowing blue vajayjay again this morning after it happened yesterday morning for the system update. No time to see what the fuss was about though. Anyone know?
Old 11-19-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe somebody sent you a message? I didn't see anything on my Wii when I updated to NXE about 1.5-2 hours ago.
Old 11-19-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yep. Glowing for me too. I think it is yet another update. I just updated mine over the weekend from the previous update two weeks ago.
Old 11-19-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Maybe somebody sent you a message? I didn't see anything on my Wii when I updated to NXE about 1.5-2 hours ago.
It's possible someone sent a message. Guess it would be a good way for someone to get me to notice too because I haven't turned off the message notification. Almost did with Mario Galaxy's messages. The kids have finally beaten and stopped playing though. Also checked local BBV for Track Pack vol 2 and none had it for rent...
Old 11-20-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well it looks like some of the reviews for 'Shaun White Snowboarding' claim the Wii version is the one to get. Also the optional Wii Balance Board controls have received high praise as well.

IGN:
Not only is this one of the best-looking Wii games available, both remote and balance board controls feel really nice. I recommend it regardless of whether or not you own the board. This will be another good one to bring out when your non-gamer friends come over, as it fits the "pick up and play" description perfectly...Overall this is a polished package and a great example of how to treat the Wii version of a multi-platform game.
Crispy Gamer
Shaun White Snowboarding greatly benefits from the optional Board controls, which are responsive, accurate and more satisfying than futzing around with a controller. But not only are they fun, they make for a better game -- especially one that has players riding on a board...The longer you play, the more you'll enjoy foot controls -- I promise. They just feel right.
Old 11-21-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by CreatureX
Well it looks like some of the reviews for 'Shaun White Snowboarding' claim the Wii version is the one to get. Also the optional Wii Balance Board controls have received high praise as well.

IGN:

Crispy Gamer
It is always nice to see developers make a real effort with the controls on a multi platform game.
Old 11-21-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
This makes me want to get it since I have the board.
Old 11-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Skate It on Wii is also getting decent reviews. It uses the balance board as well.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/932/932004p1.html
Old 11-24-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I am somewhat interested in Shaun White with the balance board, but there is just so many more games I have to ply right now. This could be a good one for Feb/March between RE5 and SFIV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.