Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 5

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 5

Old 03-04-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone curious about the meaning or references behind some of the lyrics (jump like a Willy in four wheel drive? wtf?!) here is a website that has annotated Grateful Dead lyrics. http://arts.ucsc.edu/Gdead/AGDL/

They made of book of the information from the website... which coincidentally i own.
Old 03-04-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Even in practice, I can't get past 60%. It doesn't make any sense to me. Do I just save star power and sludge through it?
I posted some tips in the last thread. I did that song about a dozen times. each time hitting 78%. Very frustrating. Just save up your overdrive and make it as far as you can in the solo before you activate. Once you see the white notes coming ignore every other note and just focus on nailing those. You should be able to pick up two more sets of them giving you enough overdrive to make it through the rest of the solo.
Old 03-04-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I can get anywhere from 75-83% right now. I know there's just a hump i need to get past. Thanks, I'm going to keep on it.
Old 03-04-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Not a huge GD fan, but I'll check out the videos based on the feedback so far.
OK, I love RB, and I know it's not "playing a real guitar" and I'm fine with the virtual experience of musicianship (since I have neither the talent nor the patience to really do it.)
But I'm not sure about this
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/13/r...-by-gamestop/2
"a new accessory is set to amp up the fun [of Rock Band] even more by bringing an "interactive light and smoke stage show" to your already thrashing performances."
Saw the preorder signage and a demo box in a local GS today as well. I'll be buying more DLC, but I don't think I'll be buying this....especially for 99.99.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...ct%5Fid=802828
Then again, depend on how it works and what it hooks up to, it could possibly be used standalone at parties or Halloween; still somewhat pricey though, based on what I recall seeing at Party City the last week of October.

Old 03-04-08, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the flawless groove achievement on I Think I'm Paranoid. Looks like you can get it during quick play. I must have hit a downstroke the other time. Almost got 100% on guitar during El Scorcho, but missed the second to last note and was too depressed to try it again. Only 5 more songs to go on expert and I just can't get passed each solo. With time, that achievement will be mine!
Old 03-04-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would be so much fun at something like a clan meet. We keep trying to get some of the hosts of our clan meets to pick up one.
Old 03-04-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah, it would definitely add to a party/gathering type experience. In my case, it's usually just me and my wife and my boy watching (or helping with drums or singing), so my getting that kit would make playing "cover songs on a toy guitar" even dorkier.
Old 03-04-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-04-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A friend and I are probably going to go in together on the stage kit, depending on reviews. We'll bring it in to our club meetings to liven things up a little bit more.
Old 03-05-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it creepy that there's a "Grateful Dead ringtones" ad in this thread. Somebody's watching.
Old 03-05-08, 05:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Grateful Dead DLC reminded me of this:

Old 03-05-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, Flirtin' With Diaster on Hard - how the fuck? This is the only thing standing in my way of finishing the Solo Tour on Hard and I just can't make any sense of the solo.

Even in practice, I can't get past 60%. It doesn't make any sense to me. Do I just save star power and sludge through it?

THis is the exact thing I am having a problem with, only thing holding me back from passing the solo hard tour... I just cant get it
Old 03-05-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by glasschicken
Got the flawless groove achievement on I Think I'm Paranoid. Looks like you can get it during quick play. I must have hit a downstroke the other time. Almost got 100% on guitar during El Scorcho, but missed the second to last note and was too depressed to try it again. Only 5 more songs to go on expert and I just can't get passed each solo. With time, that achievement will be mine!
I Think I'm Paranoid is probably the easiest song in the game on Expert.
Old 03-05-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by glasschicken
I'm still working on Hard, but I tried El Scorcho on Expert and did almost exactly the same thing. One time I messed up the last note, the next time I double strummed a note in the fast section and then played the rest of the song perfectly and then I tried one more time and missed the last note again. Grah.
Old 03-05-08, 10:18 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by REL77
THis is the exact thing I am having a problem with, only thing holding me back from passing the solo hard tour... I just cant get it
I had the same problem but finally beat FWD after many, many tries. You need to have a full or almost full approval meter and a full overdrive meter when you go into the solo. Make it as far as you possibly can into the solo (remembering that it is almost entirely HOs and POs) before activating overdrive. You really need to nail the 2nd set of overdrive notes in the solo, and you should make it through the solo just barely. Then you have to hang on until then end, hopefully getting enough overdrive to activate it one more time in case you have trouble with the post-solo parts.
Old 03-05-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JM
I had the same problem but finally beat FWD after many, many tries. You need to have a full or almost full approval meter and a full overdrive meter when you go into the solo. Make it as far as you possibly can into the solo (remembering that it is almost entirely HOs and POs) before activating overdrive. You really need to nail the 2nd set of overdrive notes in the solo, and you should make it through the solo just barely. Then you have to hang on until then end, hopefully getting enough overdrive to activate it one more time in case you have trouble with the post-solo parts.
This is my problem. I can't do shit once the solo starts. I'm completely clueless on the whole concept of this song's HO/POs. I can get to the solo with a full meter, and in the green, but after that I just crumble.
Old 03-06-08, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just wait until you get to FWD on Expert. Fun times
Old 03-06-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by porieux
Just wait until you get to FWD on Expert. Fun times
True. I have 4 songs left on expert:

Flirtin
Highway Star
Green Grass
Run To The Hills

Tough stuff.
Old 03-06-08, 08:06 AM

I have 4 songs left too.

Flirtin (made it to 84%)
Train Kept A-Rollin'
Run To The Hills
Green Grass (made it to 81%)
Old 03-07-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I've been working on getting my 2 Score Duel achievements... If the douchebag I'm beating drops, that doesn't count as a W for me, does it?
Old 03-07-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The Grateful Dead songs are better then I expected. I am a fan (somewhat), but didn't know how the songs would translate. China Cat Sunflower is a blast with the HO/PO.
Old 03-07-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
The Grateful Dead songs are better then I expected. I am a fan (somewhat), but didn't know how the songs would translate. China Cat Sunflower is a blast with the HO/PO.
I like a lot of Dead stuff...wouldn't exactly call myself a fan though. The songs in Rock Band though may be the most fun I've had on guitar in the game. Truckin' is way harder than I'd have thought.
Old 03-07-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts
So I've been working on getting my 2 Score Duel achievements... If the douchebag I'm beating drops, that doesn't count as a W for me, does it?
Nope. And I wonder if a tie affects your win rate?

I thought it kinda sucked last night that both myself and the person I played against in a tug of war duel did 100% on a song yet s/he pulled out the win
Old 03-07-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It took me a while to get the hang of Tug of War. I came to the conclusion that you can only be "so far" ahead. So if you're winning significantly, there's no need to blow your overdrive until they start to come back, i.e. engage their own overdrive.

If you do it when you're near the top, you'll end up maxing out and wasting the 8x bonus.
Old 03-07-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It took me a while to get the hang of Tug of War. I came to the conclusion that you can only be "so far" ahead. So if you're winning significantly, there's no need to blow your overdrive until they start to come back, i.e. engage their own overdrive.

If you do it when you're near the top, you'll end up maxing out and wasting the 8x bonus.
The bar "wraps" and keeps on truckin making it tough to come back from way down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.