Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 5

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 5

Old 03-16-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Pretty annoying to read all the comments from people only wanting classic rock, when modern rock from this decade is what has lacked the most in the game, IMO.
I don't care what decade it's from, I'd just like some songs that have a chance of being heard on the radio (mainstream). I don't like Weezer, the B52's, Nirvana, The Clash, The Grateful Dead, etc..., but at least they are songs that I heard before, and I did buy them when they were DLC. That's all I ask, gimme some mainstream & I'll buy it all!! This was also true of the David Bowie & Police songs. I hate the song Heroes from Bowie, but I knew of the song & how it went, so I DL'd it, same with Roxanne & Synchronicity II from the Police, if I know the songs, I buy them...the others, no.

That's not to say that I won't take a chance on some unheard-of stuff, as I DL'd The Coheed & Cambria song because I really liked Welcome Home, and I picked up a few others like 2 NIN songs & El Scorcho. The stuff last week & the thrash pack just seem like indie garbage to me and I won't be buying it, that's all. I love the fact that we get some DLC every week, I just hope for mainstream stuff.
Old 03-16-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
Wow, with all the complaining about the content of the DLC offerings week-to-week, you'd think they were doing us a great disservice to consistently offer 3 (or more) tracks per week from various new and old artists across multiple time periods and genres.
QFT. I absolutely appreciate the amount of time and effort that Harmonix is putting into this gem.

I guess it's time they begin working on the next retail disc of music that has 50-60 songs all over the place for the $1/song and half of them you won't like or have heard of before. At least some of them will grow on you.
...And this sounds like the route some other developer is taking with their product. Personally, I'd rather pay the extra money to have only songs I want/enjoy, and have them all in one place so that I don't have to switch discs whenever I have a hankering for a certain song.
Old 03-16-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I don't care what decade it's from, I'd just like some songs that have a chance of being heard on the radio (mainstream). I don't like Weezer, the B52's, Nirvana, The Clash, The Grateful Dead, etc..., but at least they are songs that I heard before, and I did buy them when they were DLC. That's all I ask, gimme some mainstream & I'll buy it all!! This was also true of the David Bowie & Police songs. I hate the song Heroes from Bowie, but I knew of the song & how it went, so I DL'd it, same with Roxanne & Synchronicity II from the Police, if I know the songs, I buy them...the others, no.

That's not to say that I won't take a chance on some unheard-of stuff, as I DL'd The Coheed & Cambria song because I really liked Welcome Home, and I picked up a few others like 2 NIN songs & El Scorcho. The stuff last week & the thrash pack just seem like indie garbage to me and I won't be buying it, that's all. I love the fact that we get some DLC every week, I just hope for mainstream stuff.
In fairness, "Crushcrushcrush" is all over modern (read: not stations that play only 70s and 80s rock) rock stations right now.

I see your point, but I think it's awesome that they're literally trying to hit all genres of rock. Nobody is going to be completely 100% satisfied every week, but they could release these songs for years at this rate. They've found a way to increase a game's longevity that no other company has been able to pull off thus far, due to the (literally) endless supply of content.
Old 03-16-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
In fairness, "Crushcrushcrush" is all over modern (read: not stations that play only 70s and 80s rock) rock stations right now.
That could be why I've never heard them. I rarely listen to radio - in any form - especially top 40 stations. I think my average radio time/week is approx 10 minutes - and most of that is listening to the "Jon Stewart Minute" the local station has every morning.
Old 03-16-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i kinda agree with DVDSteve's opinion about this weeks DLC... But at the same time I can making everyone happy. From a business perspective, making everyone happy isnt always the best, nor most profitable way to go though. Hopefully they will bring out some good stuff next friday, and not more crap that 10 people will pay for.
Old 03-16-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I like being exposed to songs I'm not familiar with (on the disk game), but I'm not going to spend a lot of money on songs I don't know, and I'm not going to buy a song I don't like. I did buy the first 3 80 point songs because I wanted something new and they were cheap, and my wife made me buy the Paramore song because she likes them. But i have absolutely no interest in the Dead songs, and while I sometimes like thrash, they're probably the type of songs that I can't play.
I think they're doing a great job at consistently putting out a variety of music. And some of the songs, especially the ones from the Paramore week, are probably being released for a different reason--not just Harmonix saying "this would be a great song to rock to", but the label/band saying, Hey, we want a larger audience, can we tap into that revenue stream?
I personally don't care about more modern rock from this decade, but that's basically because I'm not really into modern rock, at least what I've heard. But again, I wouldn't be made at H for releasing some, as long as they keep up the variety. I don't mind a break or two in MSPoints spending every couple weeks.
Old 03-16-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 632 Likes on 443 Posts
Has anyone come up with a good cover for the drums? Something nice like a grill cover for when it is not in use.
Old 03-16-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I wish there was a list available on how many people bought each of the DL tracks. I'm very curious to see which songs & genres top the list.
Old 03-16-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i want to play right now. Someone out there who's playing guitar send me an invite to play some RB. I don't have a mike for the drums, so pick whatever songs you want and I don't want to be the leader.
Old 03-17-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
i want to play right now. Someone out there who's playing guitar send me an invite to play some RB. I don't have a mike for the drums, so pick whatever songs you want and I don't want to be the leader.
Sent you a FR so we can play sometimes, i need more Rock Band playing friends to play with
Old 03-17-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a fun Rock Band weekend. I took my 360 and Rock Band to a party that had a mix of kids and grown-ups. Watching 9-12 year olds try and play War Pigs, was almost as much fun as playing it myself. All the kids loved it. Some of the parents even tried it. My friend's wife told him they need to buy a 360 and Rock Band now. I've been telling him that forever. Maybe he'll listen now. We played RB from about 7pm to after midnight.

I had a rock star moment, as I amazed the younger kids with my ability to play expert guitar and medium/hard drums. Most of them stuck to easy, although my friend's son can play hard guitar, and there was this 9 year old girl who had no trouble on medium guitar. My friend's son is good at GH too. I watched him play TTFATF on hard, downstrum only. If he ever learns to alt-strum I'll have some competition. I decided to give him my copy of GH2 and a PS2 guitar. He couldn't believe I'd give him that, but I don't need them anymore.

The whole thing was a lot of fun.
Old 03-17-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Getting ready to get a 360 and Rock Band. Two questions:

One, how long are the cords?

Two, do they make extensions for the cords?

I play on a projector, so my equipment is a decent distance away from the screen. Thanks.
Old 03-17-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darthlurker

I play on a projector, so my equipment is a decent distance away from the screen. Thanks.
1. Maybe 9 feet?
2. Any USB extender should work.
Old 03-17-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the speedy reply and information.
Old 03-17-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

I'd rather have something that is fun to play than something I recognize tbh.
Old 03-17-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'd rather have something that is fun to play than something I recognize tbh.
Then download the Serj Tankian track if you're a drummer! That's some fun shit.
Old 03-17-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by darthlurker

I have a projector in my basement as well, and use a USB extension (12 feet) to the USB hub, which I plug into an adjacent outlet, to get from my equipment to the playing area.

Works fine.
Old 03-18-08, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. I'm late to the party.

I just picked up Rock Band yesterday (went half and half with my best friend, who will be living with me soon anyway). This could be the most fun I've had with a game since 007 on the N64.

I can sing, so the vocals are no problem (I can ace the hard level right now). But the drums? Insanely hard for me. I'm up to medium, but there are songs that just destroy me (The Ramones comes to mind). Some of the beginner songs I can hit high 90's, but damn if that kick pedal doesn't mess me up most of the time. Tonight we went with two guitars (one guitar, one bass). The guitar is difficult for us so far. I'm sure we'll get better.

What a fun game! We've downloaded one song so far (Wonderwall, from Oasis). Any other 'must have' downloadable songs?

= J
Old 03-18-08, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IT's refreshing to get some DLC that, so far, has not been represented in the game. As much as I love some of the classic rock songs, some of the rock dlc has been getting pretty boring and repetitive. The thrash pack is a chance to try something new and different.
Old 03-18-08, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DLC Post is updated with guitar vids for Thrash Pack (at the moment).

Impressions:

D.O.A. - Doesn't look too bad. Absolutely passable on first try
Blinded By Fear - Also looks passable.
Thrasher - WHAT THE FUCK! If you can't alt-strum, you're dead instantly. If you can, then you can stay alive until the solo. Brutal! But I can't wait to try it tonight!

Last edited by Shagrath; 03-18-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts
@ Evile (Thrasher), g'luck you guitar hounds

Waiting for the drums vid on Blinded By Fear.
Old 03-18-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
DLC Post is updated with guitar vids for Thrash Pack (at the moment).

Impressions:

D.O.A. - Doesn't look too bad. Absolutely passable on first try
Blinded By Fear - Also looks passable.
Thrasher - WHAT THE FUCK! If you can't alt-strum, you're dead instantly. If you can, then you can stay alive until the solo. Brutal! But I can't wait to try it tonight!
Nice vids... But man, those songs just suck ass... Thrasher looked ass hard... You are right, if you cant alt-strum, your toast..
Old 03-18-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still haven't found a drum vid for Blinded by Fear (which probably means it's the hardest of the batch).

I won't be able to play these until later tonight when I go over to a friend's and buy them/play them. I'll probably end up playing bass, as he's better at guitar. I think I'll hold off on vocals until the weekend at our club meeting, so I can scream/growl loud as hell and not have anyone getting disturbed and calling the cops.
Old 03-18-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just listened to what I could of them, but I honestly got a headache by the 3rd song.

If I could mute the singing, that Thrasher one might be worth trying, but that singing is just obscene beyond belief to me.

Hope you guys enjoy them.
Old 03-18-08, 09:54 AM

Thrasher made me feel like a noob, and I love it for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.