Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too.I love ND and they have some nice songs to play drums too
Old 02-29-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I mentioned this in the RB thread, but I'll post here also...

If anyone else hates the strum clicking noise on the Les Paul (or the X-Plorer) for that matter, you can easily remove the clickers if you have a Torx 10 screwdriver. There is a tutorial here. I did the modification tonight, and it turned out great. I think the LP is MUCH better without the clickers.
Old 02-29-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Cartman, take a break from Rock Band and play some GH3. You're too good to have abandoned us completely.
I like RB too much to ever do that . I do play a few GH3 songs every now and again, though (Black Magic Woman, La Grange, Pride and Joy, Slash battle mostly). I did see you took my "La Grange" spot away from me in the last day or so, so I played it once to take it back . I'm still missing one note, though, which is annoying (like my note in Cherub Rock). Oh, and I accidentally took "My Name is Jonas", so get to work on that one, too .

I'm going to have to remove the clickers, Jeremy, thanks! The clicks throw me off a lot.
Old 02-29-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cartman
Oh, and I accidentally took "My Name is Jonas", so get to work on that one, too .
Accidentally, eh? You can keep that score, since I can't squeeze worth a damn.
Old 02-29-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I passed the 2 stinkin' songs on hard that were holding me up, 3's and 7's and the slipknot song. I gave up the other night, but I managed to 3* both on my first attempt last night. I then passed Cult of Personality, One, and CLiffs of Dover on 1st attempt for the each except for One which took 2. Yay me!! Now it's time to continually die on Raining Blood. The Iron Maiden song doesn't seem like it will be that bad, just has some really fast crap to get the timing down on.
Old 02-29-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the links on alt-strumming, guys. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

The natural proclivity is to completely over-strum way too fast. Most of the notes looked bunched together but the up/down strumming is much slower than it feels it should be to get the job done. Takes some getting used to.

I'm still having troubles alt-strumming and switching chords in the middle but that will come with time.
Old 02-29-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
The natural proclivity is to completely over-strum way too fast. Most of the notes looked bunched together but the up/down strumming is much slower than it feels it should be to get the job done. Takes some getting used to.
hyperspeed would separate the notes more and could help you get the rhythm. I don't use it (makes it harder for me for some reason) but it helps a lot of people out on hard and expert.
Old 02-29-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
[lame joke] I only 5 star songs when i rock out with my cock out [/lame joke]
That's how I activate Star Power.
Old 02-29-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Anyone bite on the No Doubt pack and want to give some feedback?
Old 02-29-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Accidentally, eh? You can keep that score, since I can't squeeze worth a damn.
Yeah, after La Grange I played a few other songs and I finally got the gold star on MNIJ. That's usually how I increase scores, by not playing something for a long time and then playing it out of the blue and doing better . I've never been able to just sit and play one song for hours (with very few exceptions) trying to get it "right", I just play through for the fun of it . That's also why I never bother with optimal star paths, I just use it when it feels right. I tried a couple times to follow what I thought would be a better use of star power (like 2-4-3-2 or whatnot), but it took more concentration that I wanted to give. I think I'd need someone standing beside me saying "ok use it now" to be able to do it like that.

Also, what's squeezing?
Old 02-29-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is squeezing?
This question gets asked over and over on the forums; the simple answer is that squeezing is starting a star power activation slightly late, and playing the last note or two of your activation slightly early, so that they are included in your star power section, and thus get you more points.

How to squeeze
First, remember to activate the select button very, very slightly before the first note, but not at the exact same time. You should hit the select button, then immediately strum the note, in one fluid motion. And remember, do this slightly after the note. At the end of the activation, simply strum the last note slightly ahead of the beat. The timing window on GH is huge, so usually you can push this a lot more than you think.

How do I know if I got the squeeze?
It's sometimes hard to judge if you activated a squeeze correctly, especially at the end. Watch the last note carefully, and see if the color changes back to its normal color just before you strum. Another technique you can use is to pause your game (assuming there is a rest in the music!), and write down your score, to see how it compares with other times through the same passage.

Advanced technique
Once you get good at squeezing, you can really push your squeeze to the very edge of the timing window. In some cases in fast passages, it is actually possible to squeeze in an extra note (or more) beyond what you could normally squeeze.
Written by malictus over at scorehero

Last edited by rabbit77; 02-29-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy carp! There's no way I'd ever be squeezing on purpose .
Old 02-29-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's insane what these uber players do to try to outscore each other. The level of intricacy and scrutiny - it's too much to think about, I'm just happy to hit all the notes!
Old 02-29-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Anyone bite on the No Doubt pack and want to give some feedback?
I think I'm going to bite when I get home from work. I liked Tragic Kingdom back when I was a senior in High School.

edited to add impressions.... Sunday Morning provides a little bit of a challenge on expert and is a fun song overall. Don't Speak and Excuse me, mister make Dream On look hard. Great buy if you are a big fan of early No Doubt. If you could buy single songs, I would suggest Sunday Morning. So, good buy for me as I like early No Doubt, but, if you don't proceed with caution.

...One more edit. The above impressions were from playing Pro-face off with my son. Actually playing the entire songs through, each have a bit of challenge at spots. It is actually Excuse me, mister that is the most fun and not Sunday Morning. You could actually do much worse than the No Doubt pack.

Last edited by shumway; 02-29-08 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Simlutaneous events for these new am/pm stores in Chicago and Atlanta. Finalists play in front of OK GO at the House of Blues in Chicago and Alter Bridge at the Tabernacle. Grand prize is a guitar signed by the band, a 360, GH3 and some other crap from am/pm.

http://www.ampm.com/ampm/sectiongene...tentId=7041535

PLAY DETAILS:

On-site staff will compile the registration forms from participants prior to their playing.
Game will be played in Pro Face Off mode. Players will compete in the order they signed up. No substitutions or replacements are permitted. Players shall not be permitted to select the songs to be used, but shall compete to one of the following songs which will be played repeatedly, in below order:
→ Miss Murder
→ Welcome to the Jungle
→ 3's and 7's
→ Bulls on Parade

Game at each location to be on expert level of difficulty
The chosen character and guitar will not affect gameplay.
Players must use provided Les Paul controllers to compete. No personal or modded guitars will be allowed.
Players will play a predetermined song.
Players will be paired off in the order they signed up for the contests in-store.
Any attempts to distract or disrupt a player during a round are prohibited.

ELIGIBILITY: only open to legal residents of United States of America who are 18 years or older. Employees, officers and directors of BP, Activision and Guitar Hero and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, owners, partners, agents, affiliates, dealers, distributors, retailers and advertising and promotion agencies, as well as the immediate families and those living in the same households of each are not eligible to play.

TO WIN: The winner of each match will be determined by high score. No prizes shall be awarded for the winner of each individual match. If scores are tied at the end of the four-hour competition, highest note percentage will determine winner. If note percentage is tied, then highest note streak will determine winner. If the note streak is tied, the first player to achieve that score shall be deemed the winner. The contestant with the highest overall score at each in-store contest location will be called back to compete at the final event

PRIZES: Prizes will be awarded to the highest scoring player from each contest location, with 12 prizes awarded in Illinois and 12 prizes awarded in Georgia. Winners from each Chicago-area in-store contest will receive four (4) tickets to an intimate OK GO! concert and be invited to play in a final event, both of which will be held at the House of Blues in Chicago on April 14, 2008. Winners from each Atlanta-area in-store contest will receive four (4) tickets to an intimate Alter Bridge concert and be invited to play in a final event, both of which will be held at The Tabernacle on April 3, 2008. One grand prize will be awarded at each final event, consisting of a guitar, Xbox gaming system, Guitar Hero III game, and a basket of ampm goods valued at $300.

TO VERIFY/CLAIM PRIZES: Finalists will be determined after the ampm in-store competition is complete and scores have been tabulated. Finalists will be notified via telephone for eligibility to play at final event and may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and compliance with these Rules, a publicity/liability release (unless prohibited by law), and any other requested documents to implement the contest. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in disqualification. Finalists are solely responsible for any and all expenses related to participation in the final event, including but not limited to travel and accommodation expenses.
I don't understand the rules. Each person plays one song, and the highest score wins? But each of the 4 songs have different max scores. Or just one song is played throughout the 4 hours at one store? I don't get it. If contestants play all 4 songs and add them together, that'd be cool... but the rules don't sound like that's the case, plus using note streak and note percentage as a tiebreaker makes it sound like you only play one song.

Last edited by rabbit77; 03-04-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds to me it's just a standard tourney but with only 4 songs from that list.

Anyway, I got GH3 for the PS3 from a guy on Craigslist today for $70. I've only just started to mess with it, but I think I'm going to end up liking it better than the Wii version. We'll see though. If I do, the Wii version is going to be returned for the refund.

I've updated my account on guitarhero.com to use the PS3 one so that's why my high scores disappeared from all the lists. Hopefully I'll have some decent scores up soon.
Old 03-06-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Activision/Neversoft are picking up the pace a little bit.

New DLC pack called "Modern Metal" is up on the 360 Marketplace.

Avenged Sevenfold - Almost Easy
Deftones - Hole in the Earth
Thrice - The Arsonist

I assume these are all masters, but can't check as my box is RROD'd.
Old 03-06-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Freaking good news - I thought I was done with this game but if Avenged Sevenfold's song is anything like Beast and the Harlot I'm in. It will be my first foray into the non-free DLC for this game.

So Mordred, is it easier to play on the PS3 than the wii? I remember you mentioned that the game wasn't working very well and that makes me nervous since I'll be competing on the wii version this weekend.

Last edited by rabbit77; 03-06-08 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice, I really dig Avenged Sevenfold.
Old 03-06-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Kind of mixed on that pack. It seems like more a promo selection than good Guitar Hero songs.

I hate Thrice with a passion (saw them at Taste of Chaos a few years ago, one of the most painfully boring bands I've ever seen/heard). The Deftones song is from their new album, and considering their back catalog, is sort of a disappointing debut for the band in the music games. The Avenged Sevenfold song is also from their most recent album, and is probably one of their more accessible songs, I'm not a big fan of their last two albums, or actually them lyrically at all (otherwise talented musicians), but did enjoy Beast and the Harlot.
Old 03-06-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am thrilled that they are releasing DLC at a more rapid pace than they have in previous months, I would prefer some more from "classic" bands as with the "Classic Rock" pack they released at the end of January.

EDIT: To be fair, my biggest problem with this is that I simply don't like any of the bands in "Modern Metal." Perhaps some Chevelle, Drowning Pool, Priestess, Wolfmother, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal...

Last edited by invisiblegt; 03-06-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in for the modern metal pack. I'd still like to see some more 80's rock.
Old 03-06-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freaking good news - I thought I was done with this game but if Avenged Sevenfold's song is anything like Beast and the Harlot I'm in. It will be my first foray into the non-free DLC for this game.

So Mordred, is it easier to play on the PS3 than the wii? I remember you mentioned that the game wasn't working very well and that makes me nervous since I'll be competing on the wii version this weekend.
Wow, I think I might actually buy that pack. Almost Easy is a great song and I love Thrice (although the Arsonist isn't that great a song).

As for the PS3, I don't know yet. The Wii didn't have a method of calibrating audio lag, so now I've got two lags to dial out. At the moment I'm trying to use my TV in non "game" mode because I watch BDs on the PS3 and don't want to have to change the setting everytime I switch between game playing and movie watching. I split the audio so it goes through the surround system and not the TV and there is definite audio lag.

I've only played the game for about 45 minutes and so far I'm relatively satisfied. The PS3 controller is just as touchy with starting SP as the Wii, but it's much easier for me to Whammy on it (much more responsive I think). I did miss some notes that I was sure I hit, but I think it's more still a lag issue than a controller-not-working-right issue. We'll see. While playing with the lag settings I scored a 1.91x multiplier on The Way It Ends, which isn't too far off my 4* score from the Wii, so the game is playable. I'm going to log a lot more time on it in the next week or two before deciding which version to keep.

BTW, playing GH in HD is soooooo nice. Not only does the Wii version sound terrible... it looks god-awful in comparison. Also the PS3 version loads way faster (everything but the songs which take about the same time). Traversing through the menus on the Wii was a chore and took forever. PS3 is lightning fast in comparison.
Old 03-06-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-06-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who let twikoff out of the Other forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.