Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GH3 / Guitar Hero III Thread III

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
So any upcoming DLC? This game is woefully pathetic in that arena.
Old 02-25-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there anybody here who has the PS3 version of GH3? I'd like to know if the patches fixed the lag issues everybody was complaining about.
Old 02-25-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just finished 5-starring every song on medium (except Dragonforce, fuck that!) and am now making a run at hard. I finished the first 6 tiers of Hard by 3-starring and 4-starring them. But I went back to the beginning and am now starting to 4- and 5-star songs. I was pretty proud of 5-starring ZZ Top.

I continually get owned by songs where it's mandatory to up/down strum (Barracuda, for example). Also having a tough time transitioning into 3-note chords (starting with Cherub Rock).
Old 02-25-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So any upcoming DLC? This game is woefully pathetic in that arena.
I'm curious too. Why they wouldn't milk this stuff when we want it is kind of funny.
Old 02-27-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
So I played this guy Diiamond tonight in pro face off and the dude drops 315K on me in the Tom Morello battle. Sick! I've only played the song a handful of times so I only got like 180K. Turns out he's ranked 60th in career expert.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that FC'ing Cult of Personality is beyond my reach. There are too many parts in the solo that I can't consistently pass. I've FC'ed every section, but I can't put it all together for that one miracle run. Here's what the solos look like:

Old 02-27-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need some help guys. I can pretty much 98-100% every song on medium in all the games but hard has just mentally owned me. I have all of the GH/RB games, and I would like to tackle each on in hard and progressively move to the most difficult so I won't get rattled early. Is the list below, roughly speaking, the correct order of the the difficulties of the hard levels?

GH 1
GH 80's
RB
GH 2
GH 3

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 02-27-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I need some help guys. I can pretty much 98-100% every song on medium in all the games but hard has just mentally owned me. I have all of the GH/RB games, and I would like to tackle each on in hard and progressively move to the most difficult so I won't get rattled early. Is the list below, roughly speaking, the correct order of the the difficulties of the hard levels?

GH 1
GH 80's
RB
GH 2
GH 3

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!
Personaly, i started learning Hard on Rock Band (after owning GH II and GH III). I can easily beat every song on Hard in Rock Band except for Green Grass and High tides and flirting with disaster (i still suck at the solos that are heavy hammer ons and peel offs). I have since moved on to expert and can 4 start most of the easy ones, and even Gold Starred "I think I am peranoid" on expert. I suggest you start with with ever one you really like and learn Hard (I would avoid choosing GH III to start with as its just ass hard and not fun to learn on).
Old 02-27-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by REL77
Personaly, i started learning Hard on Rock Band (after owning GH II and GH III). I can easily beat every song on Hard in Rock Band except for Green Grass and High tides and flirting with disaster (i still suck at the solos that are heavy hammer ons and peel offs). I have since moved on to expert and can 4 start most of the easy ones, and even Gold Starred "I think I am peranoid" on expert. I suggest you start with with ever one you really like and learn Hard (I would avoid choosing GH III to start with as its just ass hard and not fun to learn on).
Thanks for your input. GH 3 is far, far in my future if ever on hard.
Old 02-27-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMHO GH2 had the perfect curve for learning hard.
Old 02-27-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rabbit77
IMHO GH2 had the perfect curve for learning hard.
Quoted for truth.
Old 02-27-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Since no one commented, I have to say it's pretty damn impressive. The first solo is FCable by me (I usually miss a note or two in it), but the others are just crazy, particularly the 2nd one. Even if I could keep a streak going for that long in the 2nd solo, I know I couldn't hit the part where it's alternating Red Green and then throws in an O and Blue for no reason. I don't even try and hit those. I think it's funny that the only part of those 3 solos that you messed up on was the end of the 3rd which is the only part I can ever reliably hit.

You're damn impressive and it's nice to know there's an elite player here on DVDTalk. Don't stop a rockin'!
Old 02-27-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Since no one commented, I have to say it's pretty damn impressive. The first solo is FCable by me (I usually miss a note or two in it), but the others are just crazy, particularly the 2nd one. Even if I could keep a streak going for that long in the 2nd solo, I know I couldn't hit the part where it's alternating Red Green and then throws in an O and Blue for no reason. I don't even try and hit those. I think it's funny that the only part of those 3 solos that you messed up on was the end of the 3rd which is the only part I can ever reliably hit.

You're damn impressive and it's nice to know there's an elite player here on DVDTalk. Don't stop a rockin'!

I agree, Rabbit is definitely impressive... I hate to see you stop short of getting that FC when you are so close...
Old 02-27-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys. But I didn't accomplish jack squat since it takes dozens of attempts before I FC a section. You don't want to see the outtakes. It feels like I'm close, but in reality I'm far far away.

I have such a hard time with pinky trills since I avoid using my pinky like the plague when I play, I even sometimes slide up to a 3rd position whenever I can, but CoP won't allow you to that in a few places (like the first solo and that INSANE part at 0:35) due to the ridiculous speed.

I'm pretty burned out with the song in my attempt to FC it, so I'm going to switch gears and concentrate on improving my TTFaF since I'm sure it will be in a few tourneys coming up (there's one tomorrow night at Lion's Head in Lincoln Park). I average around 420K and want to bring that up to around 500K. I like the bar tourneys because the best players in the world are all like 15-18.
Old 02-27-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I need some help guys. I can pretty much 98-100% every song on medium in all the games but hard has just mentally owned me.
I'm with you. The learning curve between difficulty levels is ridiculous on this game. I can 5-star almost all of the career songs on medium, but I can't finish a single one on hard. FWIW, I've never owned a GH game before this one, so I started on easy and even the transition from easy to medium was rough. I probably won't even bother with learning hard.

Rock Band, in my limited experience, seems to be a much easier game that's still a lot of fun. Not trying to derail the thread, but I can actually handle a couple of songs on hard with RB.
Old 02-28-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A "No Doubt" track pack went up today. It has "Don't Speak", "Excuse Me Mr.", and "Sunday Morning" for 500 points. Woo. No, really, that was a sincere "woo". Why don't you believe me?

Last edited by cartman; 02-28-08 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Seriously? Did you play them? All master tracks? I'm only familiar with Don't Speak, I'll have to youtube the other two.
Old 02-28-08, 09:36 AM

Finally finished one song on hard, Hit Me With Your Best Shot. Only a 73% but didn't get booed off the stage.

Still looks like I'm having a seizure trying to get all the notes right. Not sure if my fingers will ever move like Rabbits
Old 02-28-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's all camera tricks and special effects. I record my hand at half speed and photoshop it into the video.

Cartman, take a break from Rock Band and play some GH3. You're too good to have abandoned us completely.
Old 02-28-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
A "No Doubt" track pack went up today. It has "Don't Speak", "Excuse Me Mr.", and "Sunday Morning" for 500 points. Woo. No, really, that was a sincere "woo". Why don't you believe me?
I finally downloaded the "Classic Rock" pack two nights ago, having just read about it three days ago. After that, I was eagerly awaiting new DLC, hoping that, after such a well done three-track pack, a new one would be in a similar vein.

And now this?
Old 02-28-08, 12:15 PM

Smoke and mirrors, that explains it Rabbit. Otherwise it's just not natural
Old 02-28-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm 5-starring the first few tiers of Hard-level songs now but am really getting tripped up on songs like The Seeker and Barracuda where there's a big emphasis on alternate-strumming (aka double-strumming). Anybody got some tips to help with this?
Old 02-28-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I'm 5-starring the first few tiers of Hard-level songs now but am really getting tripped up on songs like The Seeker and Barracuda where there's a big emphasis on alternate-strumming (aka double-strumming). Anybody got some tips to help with this?
I think there's been a lot of discussion on alt-strumming recently in the Rock Band thread - with some good tips and suggestions.
Old 02-28-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's the Rock Band thread as L&O said and there's also this thread at scorehero dedicated to tips on alt-strumming.
Old 02-28-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[lame joke] I only 5 star songs when i rock out with my cock out [/lame joke]
Old 02-28-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish the No Doubt pack went up on rock band. I could sing some of those really well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.