Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official PS3 thread x.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,602 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never have and still don't understand how a shaking controller makes games more immersive, but I guess that's just me.
I'm with you on that one. I've always found them to be annoying and distracting, but to each his own.
Old 04-04-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What, you never played Metel Gear Solid. How else is Psycho Mantis going to get in your head.
Old 04-04-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw these posted over at Kotaku and figured I would put them here. Sony always has some creative ads and while some are confusing and weird they manage to have some cool ones now and then.

Spoiler:

Old 04-04-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What, you never played Metel Gear Solid. How else is Psycho Mantis going to get in your head.
"You like Castlevania, don't you?"
Old 04-05-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
"You like Castlevania, don't you?"
Hahaha...good memories
Old 04-06-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Saw these posted over at Kotaku and figured I would put them here. Sony always has some creative ads and while some are confusing and weird they manage to have some cool ones now and then.

Spoiler:

Those look cool. Are they for a game?
I like the ones for Resistance, although I didn't like the demo for the game.
Old 04-06-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Those look cool. Are they for a game?
I like the ones for Resistance, although I didn't like the demo for the game.
They are not for a game release that I know of but more of a general campaign.
Old 04-06-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im itching to get a PS3, do they still do the get 5 free blue rays or motorstorm free thing?

Id like to wait for a good deal. Anything forseen?
Old 04-06-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts
No bundles right now. You'd be lucky to even find an 80GB (the one with Backwards compatability) at this point.

The 80GB will return in June in a MGS4 bundle though.
Old 04-06-08, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No bundles right now. You'd be lucky to even find an 80GB (the one with Backwards compatability) at this point.

The 80GB will return in June in a MGS4 bundle though.
Is the 80GB the one that sells for $400? And youre telling me that I cant play my PS2 games unless I get a specific GB? Thats fucking bullshit! Im thinking there will be no bundles with GTA4 coming.
Old 04-06-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Is the 80GB the one that sells for $400? And youre telling me that I cant play my PS2 games unless I get a specific GB? Thats fucking bullshit! Im thinking there will be no bundles with GTA4 coming.
No, it is one of the $500 ones. Yeah, no PS2 games work on the 40GB. I agree it sucks big time and it's a reason I baby the hell out of my 60GB. I'm really worried about getting it replaced/fixed if it ever breaks. I'm sure they can repair them, but I am really am not looking forward to the experience.
Old 04-06-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only bundle on the radar right now is the MGS4 bundle...and since GTA4 isn't exclusive, yeah, I doubt there will be a bundle for it.

Dumping backwards compatibility is perhaps the most annoying thing Sony did in their whole bungle of a PS3 launch. I'm reasonably happy that I found a 60gb model as a "reasonable" price, but I'd much rather bought new at the next price drop. Sadly, their sales went up, which probably validated their stupid thinking...but I'd be curious how many 40gb models were returned by confused consumers.
Old 04-06-08, 12:54 PM

Im doing my research now as I didnt think theyd screw people over like that.

I see that MGS4 bundle but no details on it. What kind of bundle? Has it been discussed here
Old 04-06-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see that MGS4 bundle but no details on it. What kind of bundle?
80 GB PS3: assumed to be same as the current one

DualShock 3 controller: all previous bundles came with the Sixaxis. The DS3 has rumble, and supposedly fixes the de-synching problem some people had with the Sixaxis, though I haven't seen any reviews about whether or not they actually fixed it.

MGS4

$500

Announcement on official blog
Old 04-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im doing my research now as I didnt think theyd screw people over like that.

I see that MGS4 bundle but no details on it. What kind of bundle? Has it been discussed here
80gb model with software PS2 backwards compatibility (about 75% of PS2 games play reasonably well)...a dual shock 3 controller...and MGS4.

$499

I don't think it's too late to find a lightly used 60gb (hardware PS2 compatibility) in the $400 range...and that's what I'd recommend.
Old 04-06-08, 01:52 PM
Banned

De-synching?

For the record, my girlfriend and I have quite a library of PS2 games that haven't been touched since we bought the PS3. I know not everyone is the same, but I couldn't imagine ANY scenario in which I would ever want to play any of our PS2 games again. For one, they would just look terrible on the HDTV, and for two, I don't even have enough time to enjoy the few PS3 titles we've picked up in addition to the BR movies we've been getting from Netflix.
Old 04-06-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
De-synching?
I don't know if that's the correct word for it. Basically, Bluetooth interference will occasionally make the controller stop responding. It seems to miss the release of a button rather than the press of a button (probably because holding the button down repeatedly sends the signal over and over, while releasing the button only sends the signal once so it's easier to miss). Some people reported a lot of instances of the problem, while some people seem to have never encountered it. I probably get it once every couple of weeks, when it causes me to run off of a cliff or something along those lines. It's never been a major problem for me, but I'd still hope they cleared it up with the new controllers.
Old 04-06-08, 11:17 PM

I've only got 1 PC so no network.
Can you download PS3's updates, burn them to dvd-RW discs and install them that way?
Old 04-07-08, 01:12 AM

The system updates can be downloaded to a USB thumb drive or portable hard drive. Don't think that they will be able to be burned onto a cd/dvd.

Have you ever thought about setting up a wireless network? Should be fairly cheap and easy to use. All you would need is a wireless router, the PS3 has the wireless card built in. All in all it should cost less than $50 tops.

Main thing I am asking is that you would be missing out on online play, game updates, demos, PSN content, etc.
Old 04-07-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Walker Boh
I don't know if that's the correct word for it. Basically, Bluetooth interference will occasionally make the controller stop responding. It seems to miss the release of a button rather than the press of a button (probably because holding the button down repeatedly sends the signal over and over, while releasing the button only sends the signal once so it's easier to miss). Some people reported a lot of instances of the problem, while some people seem to have never encountered it. I probably get it once every couple of weeks, when it causes me to run off of a cliff or something along those lines. It's never been a major problem for me, but I'd still hope they cleared it up with the new controllers.
I've heard about it, but never experienced it on my PS3. I did have it happen once on my Wii. For some reason the controller just lost the connection for a few seconds. Probably interference from some other device.
Old 04-07-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My home is a mess of wireless signals and I've never had a problem.

I have wireless phones (land line), cells, bluetooth headsets, bluetooth mouse and keyboard for the pc, wifi for the ps3, xbox, wii, desktop, and 2 laptops. And most of them are in the same area, I have the entertainment room near to my home office so almost everything is in just two rooms.

Zero issues.
Old 04-07-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in a condo, so God only knows how many signals are bouncing around my place. I supposed it's even possible it's another PS3 in the area causing it.

Last edited by Walker Boh; 04-07-08 at 12:55 PM. Reason: reworded
Old 04-08-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Is it possible to output sound over both HDMI & analog from the AV connector?

I normally use hdmi, but I'm setting up a wireless speaker through Zone-2 of my receiver, and it won't send signals from digital sources. So, I can use the tuner, my cable box can output both analog+digital hdmi, but I can't get the ps3 to do both... and I don't want to have to swap settings back and forth. thanks
Old 04-08-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by redbill
Is it possible to output sound over both HDMI & analog from the AV connector?

I normally use hdmi, but I'm setting up a wireless speaker through Zone-2 of my receiver, and it won't send signals from digital sources. So, I can use the tuner, my cable box can output both analog+digital hdmi, but I can't get the ps3 to do both... and I don't want to have to swap settings back and forth. thanks
Paging Ocelot to the thread!

I think the PS3 can, though I've never tried it before, because Ocelot was complaining earlier that the 360 couldn't.

edit: yeah, Baron is right, only one or the other. Ocelot was talking about outputting audio through hdmi and video through component, or something like that.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-08-08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You can only do one or the other.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.