Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBL down..no wait its up again...errr..down.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-31-07, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess XBL has been having some troubles this week. I guess since the 22nd users have reported being unable to connect / access the xbox live net work. Has anyone else been affected by this? I am unsure what caused the issue, but I know I have had a lot of problems these last few days getting on the xbox website and getting on live. Great job dropping the ball right after thousands of people just bought brand new xbox's and games. Not exactly the first impression MS wants to make.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...tus-12-29.aspx
Old 12-31-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 481 Likes on 343 Posts
Mine randomly connects, but it's never more than for a few minutes at a time.
Old 12-31-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Mine randomly connects, but it's never more than for a few minutes at a time.
Same here. Kinda annoying.

Ah well. All I've been doing is playing Rock Band for the last week anyways.
Old 12-31-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 571 Likes on 376 Posts
I've had troubles since Friday with not being able to find matches, not being signed in when i should be, and network loss messages. But it's no big deal. Like i said in another thread, LIVE is up most of the year and it's not down that much. Even when it is down we often have advance warning.
Old 12-31-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love it when it tells me it can't connect, then goes on to tell me which of my friends are online
Old 12-31-07, 09:30 AM

Same here. Got a good connection for a while yesterday. Won't be able to try again until tomorrow.
Old 12-31-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$50 a year. Jump in!
Old 12-31-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 498 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
$50 a year. Jump in!
You've never had cable, satellite, or phone service go out for a few days total during the year? How is this any different?

In fact, it's not as bad, since that stuff is $50+ a month.

I don't have any concerns over a few issues during an entire year.
Old 12-31-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
You've never had cable, satellite, or phone service go out for a few days total during the year? How is this any different?
I cannot recall having my phone or internet down at all in at least six or so years, probably more. The electricity went out once recently during a massive wind storm but it was back up in two hours. I've had Xbox Live for five months and it's been screwed up at least half a dozen times. It is not a stable service.. hell, the last time it went down you couldn't even play games offline.. now THAT was an achievement (for 250G, I believe).
Old 12-31-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cannot recall having my phone or internet down at all in at least six or so years, probably more. The electricity went out once recently during a massive wind storm but it was back up in two hours. I've had Xbox Live for five months and it's been screwed up at least half a dozen times. It is not a stable service.. hell, the last time it went down you couldn't even play games offline.. now THAT was an achievement (for 250G, I believe).
Half-Dozen times? When? This is the only major time when it has been down I can recall....I have had LIVE since the beginning also. I know it goes down for updates, but this is the one of the first major times it has been "down" for more than a day.
Old 12-31-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Dear Xbox Live,

You have raped my Xmas vacation.

Regards,

Rob V
Old 12-31-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
I cannot recall having my phone or internet down at all in at least six or so years, probably more. The electricity went out once recently during a massive wind storm but it was back up in two hours.
Where do you live? Sounds like Shangri-la.
Old 12-31-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Half-Dozen times? When? This is the only major time when it has been down I can recall....I have had LIVE since the beginning also. I know it goes down for updates, but this is the one of the first major times it has been "down" for more than a day.
When? I don't mark insignificant events on a calendar or a FaceSpace or whatever the hell it is people use these days. You are correct that this is the first time it's been down for days but I was actually low-balling the number of times I've had issues with the service which is usually just for the night it's happening.
Old 12-31-07, 10:13 AM

I live in a metropolitan city and I've had my electricity out 4 times(longest was 15 hrs). Cable has been out at least 6 times. Telephone service was out at twice(outgoing calls were fine, but not incomming calls). Xbl has been pretty stable for me. Now have notice things can get pretty slow whenever a new service is rolled out or a AAA game demo is released before the production version is released.

XBL like any service hosted on the Internet, it's performance is really based on a lot of factors beyond its control.

I going to assume your statement that you couldn't play games while XBL is down is related to XBL arcade/DRM issue. Yeah that needs to be resolved.
Old 12-31-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested to know what caused the issues. Was it really the influx of new users? Doesn't MS know how many units they manufacture and plan accordingly?
Old 12-31-07, 11:08 AM

I think the fact that this has happened over X-mas break for many people has helped to inflate the issue. Personally it just seems that since they incorporated the last major update they have had nothing but troubles. Maybe some more testing was needed before they implemented it.
Old 12-31-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
Dear Xbox Live,

You have raped my Xmas vacation.

Regards,

Rob V

Old 12-31-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had problems with Live for a week now. While I am not happy that something that I pay for, regardless of the price, is down. What really bothers me is that my console was replaced a month ago and I can't play any arcade games unless I am signed into the Xbox Live. So yeah I am pissed when the service goes down. I wanted to finish Castlevania while I'm on vacation.
Old 12-31-07, 02:12 PM
Banned

I haven't had any problems getting signed in, so I can always access my arcade stuff. I've just had issues getting matchmaking to work.
Old 12-31-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 481 Likes on 343 Posts
I can't believe the "I can't play my arcade games" complaints. Who has time for those with the recent deluge of triple A titles on all three systems?
Old 01-01-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are people still having issues? I am....just curious.
Old 01-01-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am. COD4 was the worst, constant freezing and getting booted. I got some games in on Halo 3 but it kept acting shitty so i said fuck it and turned it off.
Old 01-01-08, 07:23 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still having problems, I keep getting signed out of Live and the Market Place is slow as hell. According to the xbox support site all is well.
Old 01-01-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I played all day Monday with no problems.
Old 01-01-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't played much since i've been busy with other family stuff, but the few times I tried I didn't have many issues.

Either way, shit goes down. It's not really a big deal for me, since it's not like I can't do other things.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.