Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBL down..no wait its up again...errr..down.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBL down..no wait its up again...errr..down.

Old 01-10-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
COD4 is still very problematic. Saw this the other day:

"An Open Letter To Microsoft: So really, what *ARE* we paying for?

[ snipped ]

Although I’m sure many are likely to disagree with me and simply respond with “if you don’t like it, don’t pay,” it’s not quite that simple. Without an online service, my games and the console itself lose much of their playability and worth. I also lose contact with my friends who still use Xbox Live. So unless I’m willing to cut off contact with my friends and make my system no longer worth playing, no longer paying for Xbox Live isn’t really an option.

I’d like to hear the thoughts of the rest of the community. I feel that now, in light of the recent Xbox Live downtime, is a good time to start changing Xbox Live for the better."

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=17809534
Microsoft does it because they can. Pure and simple. Your choice is (A) suck it up and accept it, (B) avoid Live and use your 360 in a lesser capacity, or (C) Sell/trade your 360 setup and move to another platform.

I chose option "C" because I know that I'm in the minority of 360 owners who find it unacceptable. Being in such a minority means that there is no incentive for Microsoft to make the changes necessary to make things acceptable to me.
Old 01-10-08, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't pleased with the on & off problems, but it is rare and I was able to play as intended 75% of the time, even during the three weeks with issues. Even at full price, its like $4 a month. I can barely rent a movie for that price, so I can't complain too much. I enjoy Live and for $4 a month (and that is IF you pay full price, which I doubt many do), it is well worth the slight cost.
Old 01-10-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Although I’m sure many are likely to disagree with me and simply respond with “if you don’t like it, don’t pay,” it’s not quite that simple. Without an online service, my games and the console itself lose much of their playability and worth. I also lose contact with my friends who still use Xbox Live. So unless I’m willing to cut off contact with my friends and make my system no longer worth playing, no longer paying for Xbox Live isn’t really an option.

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=17809534
This is exactly it. They have a captive audience for the service. While I agree that the outage was ill-timed and should not happen for that length of time on a paid service without some kind of compensation, I can't see complaining about the rest of it. It's true, if you don't like it, don't pay. If you pay because the console being online and your xbox live friends are too important, well, then you're paying for that privilege, ads and all.
Old 01-10-08, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is exactly it. They have a captive audience for the service. While I agree that the outage was ill-timed and should not happen for that length of time on a paid service without some kind of compensation, I can't see complaining about the rest of it. It's true, if you don't like it, don't pay. If you pay because the console being online and your xbox live friends are too important, well, then you're paying for that privilege, ads and all.
I think that he used the downtime to vent about other issues that he would like changed about Live. May not be the best time to do it, but the points are still valid.
Old 01-10-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I think the outage made those that didn't care previously, painfully aware of DRM issues. Can't hop online for a few weeks for multiplayer? 'Eh, I'll deal, but if you can't even use games and content you bought in an offline environment, then their are major issues.
Old 01-10-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think the outage made those that didn't care previously, painfully aware of DRM issues. Can't hop online for a few weeks for multiplayer? 'Eh, I'll deal, but if you can't even use games and content you bought in an offline environment, then their are major issues.
I sure fucking hope so.
Old 01-10-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There is no outcry about that. I raised those issues on various forums, and the overwhelming reply was, "no big deal", "go do something else", "must be you".

The whole "must sign in to Live to play arcade games on any system other than the one it was originally purchased on" has been around since day-1. And considering that the RRoD issue has caused a lot of us to receive different consoles, Microsoft has done squat to change that behavior. And having that issue outstanding hasn't prevented others from continuing to buy downloadable games.

Continued XBLA sales = no problem.

...and hey, that's fine if people find that acceptable. I just have to do what I believe is right for me.

Last edited by sracer; 01-10-08 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's down again...for me anyway
Old 01-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts
This is weird. It is not signing me in automatically to Live as usual. I push to sign in but it doesn't give me the screen where I actually signed in but it tells me I have 15 friends on line. I can't see them, can't got to the marketplace...technically, I am not signed in but it seems to be acting like I am (if that makes any sense whatsoever).
Old 01-10-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
This is weird. It is not signing me in automatically to Live as usual. I push to sign in but it doesn't give me the screen where I actually signed in but it tells me I have 15 friends on line. I can't see them, can't got to the marketplace...technically, I am not signed in but it seems to be acting like I am (if that makes any sense whatsoever).
That's what mine is doing.
Old 01-10-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

Same thing happened to me tonight. I signed on and it showed me I had friends online but there was no way to check them. It only gave me the option to connect to Live. I "connected" about 3 times and then finally just gave up and ran the Live connection test. It ran slow as hell but after it was finally done I was able to see my list.
Old 01-13-08, 12:03 AM
Cool New Member

Anyone else having trouble right now?
Old 01-13-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
There is no outcry about that. I raised those issues on various forums, and the overwhelming reply was, "no big deal", "go do something else", "must be you".

The whole "must sign in to Live to play arcade games on any system other than the one it was originally purchased on" has been around since day-1. And considering that the RRoD issue has caused a lot of us to receive different consoles, Microsoft has done squat to change that behavior. And having that issue outstanding hasn't prevented others from continuing to buy downloadable games.

Continued XBLA sales = no problem.

...and hey, that's fine if people find that acceptable. I just have to do what I believe is right for me.

And you did that by giving up and selling your Launch 360 so why do you still care about these issues? Most of us are dealing with the outages in stride. Granted, the issues do makes the DRM situation obvious, but hell, even with that most can deal with the situation.

I don't buy Arcade games so it's be no big deal to me and other than this recent on/off outage issue, LIVE has been pretty reliable since I first joined it. Also, when all is said and done I'm sure MS will do more than just offer the free game to compensate for the recent outage.

Mind you, all this is not to say that LIVE couldn't use some "tweaking" and improving.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-13-08 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-13-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
... LIVE has been pretty reliable since I first joined it. ...
Mind you, all this is not to say that LIVE couldn't use some "tweaking" and improving.
Good for you. I wonder how many thousands like me are approaching the end of the 30 day free trial of xbox live for their holiday 360 and thinking; "Damn, I haven't had one trouble free day with this service. I think I'll pass."
I'll bet I'm not the only one.
Old 01-13-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Good for you.
Yes, good for me.
Old 01-13-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Me too!
Old 01-13-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Easy
Good for you. I wonder how many thousands like me are approaching the end of the 30 day free trial of xbox live for their holiday 360 and thinking; "Damn, I haven't had one trouble free day with this service. I think I'll pass."
I'll bet I'm not the only one.
True, and that is something that does impact MSoft's bottom line. But, like Giantrobo and Corvin said, it doesn't affect me. I'm sorry if new gamers aren't getting the best Live experiences but that is more MSoft's issue than any end-user issue.
Old 01-13-08, 12:50 PM

I for one, know that when my 360 RR, I will be extremely pissed if I'm out my Arcade games and DL content unless online. I have bought a ton of games and even more content. It would be the end of MS systems for me. For now, I love my 360.
Old 01-13-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Silkk_34
I for one, know that when my 360 RR, I will be extremely pissed if I'm out my Arcade games and DL content unless online. I have bought a ton of games and even more content. It would be the end of MS systems for me. For now, I love my 360.
My 360 hasn't needed service, but haven't people been able to call MS customer service and get them to provide the points to re-download games and such, thus avoiding the issue you're talking about?
Old 01-13-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
...It has been so long since I've fired them up, but I don't think I've tried Symphony of the Night or Worms (the only XBL games I've purchased) since I got my 360 back after redringing a few months ago.

So I'm clear, the issue is that my console needs to be online now to play those games? I'll give that a shot tonight.
Old 01-13-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes and no. Some people have spent time arguing and/or gotten a helpful CSR who did do this for them. Many have just butt their heads against the wall of the CSR.

It is a shame, because crap like that is something nobody should have to deal with. We shouldn't have to call CS and even argue the case.
Old 01-13-08, 03:21 PM

My console was having trouble a little while ago. It wouldn't sign in, but it didn't matter I just started playing ESPN 2k5, which finally made it to the backwards comp. list. Best football game ever.
Old 01-13-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been able to automatically to sign into Live for quite a while now. I always have to do it manually. Aside from the downtime, is there anything else that has changed? Is there an option to say connect automatically?
Old 01-13-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieking
I haven't been able to automatically to sign into Live for quite a while now. I always have to do it manually. Aside from the downtime, is there anything else that has changed? Is there an option to say connect automatically?
Are you sure have it set to 'auto sign in?' I know at least once mine had reset and defaulted to 'no' somehow.
Old 01-13-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
My auto sign-in is also flaky. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes it doesn't do it until I start a game.

And I definitely have it set correctly. Just annoying.