Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
My friends and I are all addicted to this game, and one of my friends wants to buy it. But she's not going to DL any of the new songs...so would you consider it a worthwhile purchase, or something she'd get bored of really fast?
It's hard to get bored with the game given the fact you can essentially play it four times over with different instruments. However, the DLC is what this game is really marketed to. GH may have reported FOUR releases this year, whereas RB will primarily release through DLC.
Old 01-02-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
My friends and I are all addicted to this game, and one of my friends wants to buy it. But she's not going to DL any of the new songs...so would you consider it a worthwhile purchase, or something she'd get bored of really fast?

Even w/o DLC, it's a game that lasts.. and lasts... and lasts. for at least 40 days (since thats how long Ive had it and have been playing it non-stop.)
Old 01-02-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
GH may have reported FOUR releases this year, whereas RB will primarily release through DLC.
Wonder which one would make more money over time if both were equal in set-up price?

One release with tons of DLC or several different releases with very little DLC.

Interesting.
Old 01-02-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Wonder which one would make more money over time if both were equal in set-up price?

One release with tons of DLC or several different releases with very little DLC.

Interesting.
It is interesting. If given a choice, I would probably have DLC's about half the tracks on RB, which equals roughly it's retail price.

DLC is definitely more expensive, but more versatile. However, I've found some very cool tracks (like Lay Down) I never would have heard if I was only using DLC.
Old 01-02-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This game is pretty fun. We went to my neighbor's house last weekend and played on the PS3.

I wanted drums, but was better on guitar. The timing was off for the drums and I could not get used to it.

The worst part was his girlfriend's daughter was trying to sing, but couldn't get through a song. She is about 12 and having fun, but kept failing out. I mean she wasn't terrible, just your average kid singing along to the words.

So what is the important thing for singing, it is timing or pitch, both?

Now i am trying let get my wife to let me have it for 360, but then she will need to learn an instrument.
Old 01-02-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9

Now i am trying let get my wife to let me have it for 360, but then she will need to learn an instrument.
I have found it's pitch.
Old 01-02-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.
I think individual releases, with announcements where available.

DLC is obviously a big part of the direction they are going, and it has to be a potentially huge profit center for them. However, regardless of how they would choose to release them, they cannot be doing that well with the current set-up of using the Live browser. With no ability to obtain DLC from within the game interface, they must be missing out on quite a bit of sales.
Old 01-02-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to actually purchase any content from within a game with Live. There may be a link to downloadable content, but it'll just open up the blade where the DLC is available.

Also, there was a title update last night. Does anyone know what they added in/fixed? I played a couple songs on drums and guitar and didn't notice anything different, but I didn't go delving through the menus or anything.
Old 01-02-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully this isn't too dangerous, but I noticed that the DLC is a downloaded file which you have to install. It seems like it would be easy just to share those files online.

Which leads to this question - that being the case, is there a chance that someone could decompile the DLC and start with custom releases?
Old 01-02-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
As far as I'm aware, there's no way to actually purchase any content from within a game with Live. There may be a link to downloadable content, but it'll just open up the blade where the DLC is available.
Right. I meant that RB exclusively uses the Live Marketplace, whereas GH3 links to it, and tells you new content is available before you exit the game interface itself. RB relies on the user to sort through and find it. I just think it's a little clunky, and has to be less successful than GH3's model.
Old 01-02-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jonw9
This game is pretty fun. We went to my neighbor's house last weekend and played on the PS3.

I wanted drums, but was better on guitar. The timing was off for the drums and I could not get used to it.

The worst part was his girlfriend's daughter was trying to sing, but couldn't get through a song. She is about 12 and having fun, but kept failing out. I mean she wasn't terrible, just your average kid singing along to the words.

Pitch except for the parts that are just the words.
Old 01-02-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Hopefully this isn't too dangerous, but I noticed that the DLC is a downloaded file which you have to install. It seems like it would be easy just to share those files online.

Which leads to this question - that being the case, is there a chance that someone could decompile the DLC and start with custom releases?
I would say that on either system, it may be a possibility at some point (although said system would more than likely need to be modded). I'd say it's a more likely possibility on the PS3, as their DRM is not quite as robust as 360's.
Old 01-02-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
IMO, with the exception of a handful of artists (Metallica, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, some STP), musicianship/skill in the 90's-present is pretty weak.
Skill doesn't make for exciting, artistic, or entertaining songs. It can, and often does, but othertimes they get too caught up in their own skill and it doesn't translate to interesting music.
Old 01-02-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, there was a title update last night. Does anyone know what they added in/fixed? I played a couple songs on drums and guitar and didn't notice anything different, but I didn't go delving through the menus or anything.
I haven't seen any new options (and I didn't even see the install) but my Strat is suddenly really flakey on both up and downstrum today. I'm going to submit an RMA, but updates have affected the strum for some folks before.
Old 01-02-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Looks like I was wise to change my Strat ebay auction from a 5 day to a 3 day. Prices seem to be bottoming out as more people start to sell. Mine ended a few hours ago and I managed to snag $90 with shipping but most look like they are averaging closer to $60 already.

I even noticed someone who cribbed my whole auction for his own. From the title, to the description to shipping description and price. Dickhead. I dropped him a line saying that wasn't cool. I spend time coming up with a layout and description, at least paraphrase it if you are going to steal it.
Old 01-02-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I haven't seen any new options (and I didn't even see the install) but my Strat is suddenly really flakey on both up and downstrum today. I'm going to submit an RMA, but updates have affected the strum for some folks before.
Okay, something's screwy because my green pad is dying. I guess I'll call them in the morning and see if it's the hub.
Old 01-03-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 687 Posts
DUMB Rock Band question of the evening: On the guitar strap, which end does the adjustable doubled area go...top or bottom of the guitar?

Never got one response on this. Was it that dumb of a question or so difficult no one has the proper answer for it?
Old 01-03-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the next OXM, which hits newstands on the 15th, is getting some exclusive Rock Band content. Three new songs will be available exclusively on the new OXM disc.

Freezepop - Sprode (I think this is the same some from Amplitude?)
Count Zero - Shake
Bang Camaro - Rock Rebellion

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/fea...ock-band-songs

I have no qualms about picking this up, even if I am paying $10 for three songs, which is almost twice what I would be paying for a normal pack.
Old 01-03-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I am happy at least they aren't including any songs I would actually want to play. I don't think I could force myself to pay over $3 a song.
Old 01-03-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Never got one response on this. Was it that dumb of a question or so difficult no one has the proper answer for it?
I play my real guitars with the strap adjustable clip on my strumming hand side. It's really a matter of comfort.
Old 01-03-08, 08:33 AM
Suspended

Looks like the next OXM, which hits newstands on the 15th, is getting some exclusive Rock Band content. Three new songs will be available exclusively on the new OXM disc.

Count Zero - Shake

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/fea...ock-band-songs

I have no qualms about picking this up, even if I am paying $10 for three songs, which is almost twice what I would be paying for a normal pack.
So how will that work? The songs will download from the disc to our HD?
Old 01-03-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Good question. Would be easy enough to pass the disc around if so.
Old 01-03-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Count Zero - Shake
I know I'm getting old when I don't recognize a single artist or song on that list.
Old 01-03-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
So how will that work? The songs will download from the disc to our HD?
I'm pretty sure this is the way it'll work. They allow you to grab the gamerpics and themes off the disc. I don't see how this is any different. Therefore, if you've got a few friends in the area with the game, I'm sure you everyone could go in on one copy of the mag to spread out the cost a little bit.

I love me some Freezepop and Bang Camaro is quickly becoming my favorite Harmonix band. I'd love to see them live with their 20 singers!!
Old 01-03-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I know I'm getting old when I don't recognize a single artist or song on that list.
They're only famous to the Harmonix crowd. Bang Camero was in Guitar Hero 2 (Push Push Lady Lightning) and Rock Band, and Freezepop has been in pretty much all the Harmonix instrument games (Frequency, Amplitude, Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero 2, Rock Band)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.