Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ONLY Halo 3 thread - part deux.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 02:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
If anyone is good at grenade jumping, I need help getting my last skull achievement where you have to grenade jump onto a support beam to get the "Famine" skull. I severely suck at grenade jumping. I have tried it so many times that I am just irritated by now and will take any help (uh...letting someone else do it) I can get.

I tried it with grenades, a Brute Chopper, and even throwing out the deployable cover and jumping up on it and still cannot land on the support beam. Doo-doo.
I just got that one last night, it took me about an hour. I got a Prowler up there (with a Ghost/Chopper ramp), parked it to the right of the beam, just far enough out so it didn't start sliding down the ledge, and did a jump off the turret. It took me many many tries, but I finally got it.
Old 11-18-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I just got that one last night, it took me about an hour. I got a Prowler up there (with a Ghost/Chopper ramp), parked it to the right of the beam, just far enough out so it didn't start sliding down the ledge, and did a jump off the turret. It took me many many tries, but I finally got it.
Wish I had known. I would have liked to have been in there with you.
Old 11-18-07, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's also a portable shield in the prior "camp" that can be deployed and stood on.
Old 11-19-07, 11:09 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Heroic Map Pack goes up on Xbox Live on December 11th. (3 maps, 800 points, Free in Spring 2008)

3 screenshots up on VGT: http://www.videogametalk.com/news.php

Last edited by Flay; 11-19-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 11:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

A quick question regarding completing the game on Legendary... I think I understand this but want to make sure before I start... can I just beat the levels using campaign mode, regardless of order, and still get the achievement for completing the game on Legendary once I've beaten all the levels? Or do I have to play the game from the beginning straight through for the achievement to count?
Old 11-19-07, 12:31 PM

All you have to do is complete the game on Legendary. You can do different levels at different times so long as they are all done on legendary.
Old 11-19-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Heroic Map Pack goes up on Xbox Live on December 11th. (3 maps, 800 points, Free in Spring 2008)

3 screenshots up on VGT: http://www.videogametalk.com/news.php
Nice! Hooray for new maps!
Old 11-19-07, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
Nice! Hooray for new maps!
I have to say I am extremely disappointed by this new map pack. 800 MS points for three new maps is grossly outrageous. When Gears released their DLC it was salty, but at least there was more to it than just 3 maps. I think Bungie is dropping the ball just a bit on this. Halo has always been a game that got popular due to the multiplayer aspect of the game. Halo: CE and Halo 2 both had copious amounts of maps to play on and even if you played the same map 100 times in a row (blood gulch) you never got tired of it.

Halo 3 is launched with just a handful of maps that, after you play them two or three times in a row, get very tiring. Why would bungie release the game of the century that was being praised as the multiplayer game to end all multiplayer games with a handful of sub-par maps then release only three new maps for 800 points? It is like a slap in the face to the fans of the game who are dieing to continue playing but have all but burnt out on the multiplayer aspect.

I think it would have been nice to see them A) have at least five new maps and B) release one of those new maps for free. I know bungie is in it to make money, that is the name of the game. I am not persecuting the company for trying to turn a profit, but don't tease us with three maps at a time and expect us the be happy.

Thankfully the new maps will be free next spring, but I am still a bit disappointed by their decision to handle the issue the way they have.
Old 11-19-07, 01:20 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind it might not be all Bungie behind this.

If you recall the Gears of War initial download. The company wanted it to be free, but MS made them charge for it until it became free much later.
I'm not saying it is all MS, but without knowing the exact facts, it is a bit premature to blame Bungie 100%.
Old 11-19-07, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Keep in mind it might not be all Bungie behind this.

If you recall the Gears of War initial download. The company wanted it to be free, but MS made them charge for it until it became free much later.
I'm not saying it is all MS, but without knowing the exact facts, it is a bit premature to blame Bungie 100%.

Don't get me wrong. In no way am I blaming Bungie for the amount they are charging. Thats fine. What bugs me is that it is $10.00 for only three maps. Yes I understand they have to finance the people making the new maps, testing the new maps, ect but 3 maps? Please, five for ten or even four for ten is a better scenario. Even if MS has something to do with the price I still can understand because they have to host it and make it available through XBL.

I really think they have teased us and mislead the public because reading their updates had me under the impression that they were working on like 7 new maps for DLC. I finally hear they are going to release them and I see . . . 3. Thats it.
Old 11-19-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Oh, there will be four more. Probably the day these three go free.
Old 11-19-07, 01:37 PM

If they wanted to top halo 2's multiplayer, they should have released these maps with the actual game. I feel the maps in 3 are half as good as those that 2 offerred at launch. And Bungie didn't realize how gamers are used to having a ton of maps with Halo2 (after all the downloads) and just gave us a handful with 3. I really don't see how the game would get the reviews it did when the amount of maps turned out to be so little at launch. I'm guessing I'm not th eonly one that is really sick and tired of the maps and gametypes offered. I have been sick of them since week 2.

Yeah we'll get more maps, but at 3/$10?- damn!
It sucks, but people will pay.
Old 11-19-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
It sucks, but people will pay.
not I.
Old 11-19-07, 02:41 PM

I would be happy if they would release the top three or four maps from halo 2 for halo 3 along with the new maps for 3. I think that would help sweeten the deal for me. It won't happen, but it would be nice.
Old 11-19-07, 02:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by metalhead212
All you have to do is complete the game on Legendary. You can do different levels at different times so long as they are all done on legendary.
Thanks. There are certain levels I'd prefer to save until the end, because I imagine they will be hellish to attempt on Legendary.
Old 11-19-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No thanks. I'll wait until these are free.
Old 11-19-07, 04:58 PM

Wish I had known. I would have liked to have been in there with you.

Spider, I can help you out with it. Remind me next time I'm on...
Old 11-19-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Spider, I can help you out with it. Remind me next time I'm on...
Cool. Thanks!

edited to add...3 maps for 10 bucks is pretty crappy...especially when a certain little game called COD4 is eating Halo's lunch (in my opinion).

Last edited by Spiderbite; 11-19-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 12:20 PM

I just got my 360 and played through H3 I have a question though, occasionally the "select memory device" prompt would come up in the middle of the game w/o any sort of prompting on my part (that I was aware of). Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Is it potentially an indicator of something wrong w/ the 360 or just a programming bug? It's a brand new elite so I hope that's not the case, but they don't have the greatest track record. Also, so far, this has only happened w/ H3...
Old 11-20-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone is good at grenade jumping, I need help getting my last skull achievement where you have to grenade jump onto a support beam to get the "Famine" skull. I severely suck at grenade jumping. I have tried it so many times that I am just irritated by now and will take any help (uh...letting someone else do it) I can get.

I tried it with grenades, a Brute Chopper, and even throwing out the deployable cover and jumping up on it and still cannot land on the support beam. Doo-doo.
There are 6 ghosts (I think that's what they're called, the little hovercars) in
the area, use 2 or more of them to get it easily. Drive them up to the post
(they can get up these easily, no extra vehicle ramp required) and park them
atop one another then hop from them to the skull.

My tag is SPECIALporpoise if you need any help.
Old 11-20-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Cool. Thanks!

edited to add...3 maps for 10 bucks is pretty crappy...especially when a certain little game called COD4 is eating Halo's lunch (in my opinion).

I'll second that even though I haven't done much online play with either COD4 is cool in single player. Nothing against Halo 3 as it's still a strong game but with COD4 and now Mass Effect I can't see paying for it for now.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 11-25-07, 06:42 PM

so if i'm a big fan of halo3 multiplayer and not much else, would I also enjoy COD4?
Old 11-25-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
so if i'm a big fan of halo3 multiplayer and not much else, would I also enjoy COD4?
Yes you will. The only thing that I didn't like at first with COD4 is that you have to earn extra weapons and perks. So when you first start playing online, you're going to get killed a lot. Once you start getting the cooler weapons and perks you'll start to really like the game. Plus it adds to the replayability of the game. Lately, I've been playing COD4 more than I have Halo3.
Old 11-25-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still interested in the "Halo 3 Legendary Edition". But amazon.com is selling it for $79.99.

Last edited by kahuna; 11-25-07 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just got he game havent gotten into multi yet though. isn't there clans for online? does dvdtalk have a clan, if so can i join?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.