Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The latest Gamers With Jobs podcast had a bit of a sobering look at the whole Gamespot fiasco. Certainly made me rethink a few of the thoughts I had previously. I recommend it for another point of view.

Last edited by Chris_D; 12-05-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Btw, the latest Hotspot had most of the crew doing a bit of a round table sob story. Whatever you think of Gamespot now, it seems that some of the staff there have had a rough time of it this past week. Anyway, if you were into the podcast previously, there's definitely no reason why you shouldn't dive in and at least have one last sayonara episode before unsubscribing.
Old 12-05-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Yeah, though the Hotspot never actually said "This had nothing to do with Kane and Lynch" they did their best. They did say that it wasn't one game or one publisher, but they definitely skirted the issue.

I did appreciate how they said that internally they felt that the whole thing was a complete clusterfuck (their word) and that no one is happy with how it turned out.

I'm not going to drop my subscription, mostly because I don't hold the Hotspot crew responsible for any of this. And I enjoy the show, though Jeff will definitely be missed.

Last edited by Draven; 12-05-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The defunct Broadcast Gamer podcast has actually got up a Christmas special if anyone is interested.
Old 12-13-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to the Gamespot sob story. I may stick around for a few more weeks, but honestly, it's not one of my favorites anyway.
Old 12-13-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I'm not going to drop my subscription, mostly because I don't hold the Hotspot crew responsible for any of this. And I enjoy the show, though Jeff will definitely be missed.
I don't hold them responsible either, I'm just dropping it because Jeff was the reason I listened. I loved his voices and wigger impersonations. That's why I hope he lands on another show in the future.
Old 12-13-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm with boredsilly. I listened for Jeff, but don't hold any of the other guys responsible. I'm on the fence though. I picked up the subscription to hear the last episode. Not sure if I'll listed to anymore though.
Old 12-16-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to offset all the bitching about 1up that has found a home in this thread, I think it's only fair to say that the last batch of shows have been pretty enjoyable.

I listened to the second post Gerstman Gamespot episode (didn't get around to removing the feed), and that was pretty good too. Even if Vinnie's dismissal of the fighting game genre was irksome (and I don't even really like those games).
Old 12-16-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I listened to the second post Gerstman Gamespot episode (didn't get around to removing the feed), and that was pretty good too. Even if Vinnie's dismissal of the fighting game genre was irksome (and I don't even really like those games).
Despite my saying I wasn't going to listen, curiosity got the best of me, and yeah, the chemistry is still OK.

Dismissing the fighting genre is one thing, but the fact that there was nobody there to stand up for Mario Galaxy tells me that there's nobody on the show that represents my point of view. It might as well be another 360 podcast.
Old 12-16-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to offset all the bitching about 1up that has found a home in this thread, I think it's only fair to say that the last batch of shows have been pretty enjoyable.
I have enjoyed all the recent shows. However, even they acknowledged how irritating Garnet was in the podcast many of us complained about. He was drunk and acted like a dick and he acknowledged it. Shane loves to bring it back up though to toss in his face.

1UP Yours and GWF are still my two favorites. I have started listening to IGN when I have time. I don't always finish them, but they aren't bad and sometimes cover info or games 1UP doesn't.
Old 12-16-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I have enjoyed all the recent shows. However, even they acknowledged how irritating Garnet was in the podcast many of us complained about. He was drunk and acted like a dick and he acknowledged it. Shane loves to bring it back up though to toss in his face.
Oh for sure. That episode was awful, as were some of the ones surrounding it, but I'm all about giving props when they're due. I do get a kick out of Shane giving Garnett the blues "I think it was 'It's my goddamn show', right Garnett?" Heh.
Old 12-17-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those interested in a Nintenocentric podcast other than the Wiire and Wiik in Review (which are both consistently terrible), I've enjoyed listening to the show from Infendo. It usually runs about half an hour, never overstaying its welcome and is generally entertaining throughout.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/InfendoRadio
Old 12-17-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh for sure. That episode was awful, as were some of the ones surrounding it, but I'm all about giving props when they're due. I do get a kick out of Shane giving Garnett the blues "I think it was 'It's my goddamn show', right Garnett?" Heh.
To give poor Garnett a little credit he has been on several video podcasts lately including segments of Tekzilla and DL.TV and as a full guest on Cranky Geeks and he did very well.
Old 01-22-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been listening to the Criterion Games podcast CrashFM and the Insomniac games Full Moon Podcast recently. I like hearing developers talk directly about the games they are making and some of the decisions that occur during the development process. It gives a different perspective from all the other podcasts that focus more on the industry. I would love to see Valve do a podcast.

I've also starting listening to the Sarcastic Gamer podcast. I'm not sure I will continue listening. They have some funny skits, but I don't enjoy the unbalanced podcast discussions. They completely dismiss the Wii (because they are "hardcore" gamers), and have nothing but negative things to see about the PS3 and PC. In one episode they talked about Crysis (before it came out), and proceeded to give a ton of misinformation about the game, saying it would only run in Vista and require a $2000 pc to run, before proclaiming the death of pc gaming. Things certainly aren't rosy for pc gaming and they could back up the death of pc gaming with lots of true information, so it bothers me that they would support their opinions with a bunch of misinformation.

GFW is still my favorite, for a platform specific podcast, I really think they are one of the least biased podcasts around. A couple of episodes ago they talked about Mario Galaxy and Kororinpa Marble Mania for the Wii.
Old 01-22-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I've been listening to the Criterion Games podcast CrashFM and the Insomniac games Full Moon Podcast recently. I like hearing developers talk directly about the games they are making and some of the decisions that occur during the development process.
Depends on the developer. Some are boring as shit. I love hearing Ken Levine talk. Not sure what it is. I could listen to him read me the Bioshock instruction manual and be enthralled by it. He's been on Gamers with Jobs a few times and a couple of the other ones like Major Nelson and maybe 1up.
Old 01-22-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GFW is still my favorite, for a platform specific podcast, I really think they are one of the least biased podcasts around. A couple of episodes ago they talked about Mario Galaxy and Kororinpa Marble Mania for the Wii.
Yeah, they seem to keep getting better and better. It's easily my favorite game-centric podcast too.
Old 01-22-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After an 8 month break Twitch Asylum have another podcast up. They spend some time talking about the King of Kong movie.
Old 02-21-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 1up podcasts have been really good this week at GDC, they are having a podcast every day with two developer guests interviewed. I think it has made for some interesting discussions, I like hearing directly from the game designers.

Also in somewhat related news the fourth chair for 1upyours is now Shawn Elliot. I think he adds a much needed different perspective to the podcast. The 2/15/08 podcast was a great example with the discussion of cutscenes in games.
Old 02-21-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also in somewhat related news the fourth chair for 1upyours is now Shawn Elliot. I think he adds a much needed different perspective to the podcast. The 2/15/08 podcast was a great example with the discussion of cutscenes in games.
My problem with this is that he is leaving the GFW podcast to do so. I was hoping he would be on both especially since I am a PC gamer and tend to avoid consoles.
Old 02-21-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
My problem with this is that he is leaving the GFW podcast to do so. I was hoping he would be on both especially since I am a PC gamer and tend to avoid consoles.
He's not, you were griefed. They jokingly said that in one of the previous episodes of GFW, but in the end they said it was a joke, he will be on both.
Old 02-21-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's not, you were griefed. They jokingly said that in one of the previous episodes of GFW, but in the end they said it was a joke, he will be on both.
Oh I am behind an episode and since I listen at work I sometimes get interrupted so I must have missed the end of that podcast.
Old 02-24-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 1up podcasts have been really good this week at GDC, they are having a podcast every day with two developer guests interviewed. I think it has made for some interesting discussions, I like hearing directly from the game designers.

They really did out do themselves with the GDC coverage this year. The coverage itself was pretty dry (what was there to cover?), but the topics and guests were really great. I do feel short changed by the 20 minute Ken Levine episode though. They really were having a great discussion and I wanted more! The Portal developers were really entertaining too. Just a really great set of episodes this week.

And I totally agree that Shawn is a great addition to 1up Yours. He's an independent thinker, and that's great since I feel some of the rest of the people on 1up drink the same kool-aid sometimes or can be incredibly biased when it comes to certain topics.
Old 02-24-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

. I do feel short changed by the 20 minute Ken Levine episode though. They really were having a great discussion and I wanted more!
see post 190.
Old 02-25-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Is it easy to copy podcasts from one iTunes into another? I have 2 computers with podcasts and I want to consolidate them into one. How does it handle any newer podcasts once they're copied?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Is it easy to copy podcasts from one iTunes into another?
Nothing is easy with iTunes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.