Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msdmoney
I'm hoping it's all an elaborate joke; a result of people prediciting he would leave for quite a while. If it isn't, this sucks, Shawn and Jeff were my two favorite 1up personalities, really the only perspectives in games podcasts that I felt reflected my own. I'm not quite sure what will happen with GFW radio.
This pretty much echoes my own feelings. Haven't listened to this weeks GFW yet, but if this ends up being true, I'll be pretty disappointed (though happy for both Jeff and Shawn), GFW Podcast was my favorite thing to listen to at work.
Old 09-19-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you atxbomber. It sucks to be losing GFW in it's current form, along with the voices (and personalities) of Jeff and Shawn on the podcast circuit, but I'm also really happy for them. It's weird to have such an attachment to dudes you don't know, but they've been in my ears for hours on end, so it does feel like I "know" them in a way.

Boys done good.
Old 12-18-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Your routine Jeff Green podcast heads up for those that don't subscribe full time:

The Dec. 17th episode of Gamers with Jobs has both Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot co-hosting the entire episode.
Old 12-18-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised about how much Jeff Green said about his new boss there. Compared to the tight lipped Shawn Elliot.. I thought he might have got himself in trouble on a few things.
Old 12-18-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Downloading now thanks for the heads up. LAN Party is ok, but not nearly as good as GFW Radio.
Old 12-18-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got it downloaded but waiting on a trip this weekend to listen. Awesome news indeed!
Old 12-18-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Your routine Jeff Green podcast heads up for those that don't subscribe full time:

The Dec. 17th episode of Gamers with Jobs has both Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot co-hosting the entire episode.
I was pretty excited to see this the other night when I was working late for a work deadline.

This is a perfect combination. The Gamers with Jobs podcast is probably my favorite now that the GFW radio is gone, so it's great to see them both come together for a podcast. It's too bad that Shawn has to remain tight lipped about what he is working on. He sold me on a lot of games through the GFW Radio podcast that he wasn't even working on.

I liked how they started off announcing that Ryan Scott was on the podcast.

I have been listening to the LAN party podcast, and it's pretty good. I'm glad they decided to keep podcasting.
Old 12-18-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I really like GFW. They crew has great chemistry. However, their topics frequently devolve into WoW discussions. The topic could have nothing to with Wow, but somehow one of them always turns it into a discussion about that game. Why do I care about Rabbit's friend he got hooked on the game to have to hear about it weekly. Same goes for Sins of a Solar Empire and formerly Conan. I can understand talking about it when new content arises, but it's like discussing Gears of War or Halo 3 every week because they played a couple matches of multiplayer.

It won't make ever make it above 1up or CAG as long as that happens. I do give it a slight edge to Major Nelson though who has become extremely stale. That, and the guest speakers are always nice. I love when Ken Levine is on.

I miss Game Theory.
Old 12-19-08, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I really like GFW. They crew has great chemistry. However, their topics frequently devolve into WoW discussions. The topic could have nothing to with Wow, but somehow one of them always turns it into a discussion about that game. Why do I care about Rabbit's friend he got hooked on the game to have to hear about it weekly. Same goes for Sins of a Solar Empire and formerly Conan. I can understand talking about it when new content arises, but it's like discussing Gears of War or Halo 3 every week because they played a couple matches of multiplayer.

It won't make ever make it above 1up or CAG as long as that happens. I do give it a slight edge to Major Nelson though who has become extremely stale. That, and the guest speakers are always nice. I love when Ken Levine is on.

I miss Game Theory.
The first Game Theory I listened to was their last.
I love Gary Whitta (Gaz), and he is always great on PC Gamer, one of my favs now. I too miss the ol' GFW, but even then, I always liked when they talked about games. That has turned into a novelty on many podcasts. My favorite parts of 1UP Yours and GWJ is the "playing now" parts that kick off the shows (and mailcalls are usually solid).

My biggest gripe with LAN Party is that really none of them seem overly-familiar with PC gaming - with the exception of Ryan. (Obviously, that wasn't a prob with Jeff and Shawn) That is in sharp contrast to PC Gamer, who are relatively devout to the platform. LAN also tries too hard with the "cool, laid-back" vibe, in my opinion. I love Robert Ashley, and he covers that ground in spades; Anthony knows his stuff but seems to be compensating for his bud Tinah, who doesn't offer much to the discussion. She is good with Starcraft and 3d shooters, I reckon.

I'm about to try a few others for the first time, like Player One and Bombcast(?).

I did listen to the Jeff and Shawn GWJ and I too was surprised by Jeff's candid nature. He is still in observer/journalist mode, I believe. I think it is great Jeff and Shawn are with the "enemies" in development now, but both offered so much in the fourth estate.
Old 12-19-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by msdmoney
This is a perfect combination. The Gamers with Jobs podcast is probably my favorite now that the GFW radio is gone, so it's great to see them both come together for a podcast.
GWJ is becoming one of my favorites too. I like that they talk about games more than the industry, which I'm getting tired of (I blame the stupid NPD shit). I don't mind that they talk about the sames games a lot, that seems normal. It actually surprises me that they're able to play as much as they do. I like the chemistry of the hosts, and I find they talk about a lot of subjects that interest me from a perspective I can appreciate -- like difficulty in games. I was surprised at how candid Jeff Green was on the show. I think that's just how he is, because he would say some stuff on GFW from time to time that would surprise me.

A rundown of what I'm listening to now:

LAN Party is actually pretty good and I imagine it will only get better as they go along. I like the new format. It's not GFW, but they're good at what they're doing now. Robert Ashley cracks me up. It's also nice to hear more from Ryan Scott, and Anthony and Tina are enjoyable too. Since I like the people, I don't mind when they talk about things other than games.

1up Fm is probably my favorite show of the 1up offerings now. I like the variety show nature of it. Those "Anthony on" segments are so random, but pretty funny. Also, their mailbag section is pretty great as well as Backlog (if you care about the game they're talking about).

1up Yours? Something about that show has been rubbing me the wrong way lately. David Ellis, whom I enjoy overall, feels like he's trying too hard to be another outspoken Luke Smith-type of personality at times. His off color joke about the Wal-Mart employee from last weeks show completely turned me off, and I'm so glad that Garnett called him on that shit.

Gamespot's Hotspot is actually pretty good now too. When I gave the show another listen, I didn't recognize any of the voices, as it seems like they have an entirely new staff, but it's working for me. Actually, in some respects I like the show better now than when they had the old crew.

Gametrailers Invisible Walls is decent. I like watching the show version of the podcast to see the clips of what they're talking about. That Grumpy dude gets old fast(I'm pretty tired of the whole put-on curmudgeon gamer thing -- see Yahtzee, Angry Video Game Nerd, Grumpy), but I like the other people they have on the show. Since it's short it's a nice thing to watch when I come home from work to decompress.
Old 12-19-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1up FM? I gave the first 3-4 a listen but they all came off as expected... like the little immature red headed stepbrother to 1upYours. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have some time.
Old 12-19-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those early shows were a little rough, and I dropped it myself at first, but picked it back up for some reason and have been enjoying it. YMMV of course.
Old 12-19-08, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Those early shows were a little rough, and I dropped it myself at first, but picked it back up for some reason and have been enjoying it. YMMV of course.
I have tried 1UP FM a few times, and I can’t quite get into it. Nick and Philip (I think that is their names) are really funny together, but Nick’s voice makes me a little sleepy. I do like Retronauts; maybe it is the content, but Jeremy’s “sleepy” voice never bothers me (and the guy does killer impressions of vid game characters). I just pick and choose those, however; depends on the game/series/etc. they are discussing.

Regarding LAN Party, I actually gave up on that one until this past episode and was very pleased with it. Bobito is always on (and sounds like my fav rocker Tom Petty, which helps too) and they were in a pretty good groove. I actually like all of the personalities, but again, I lose interest if their tangents stray too far.

The only one that is seemingly on the perpetual bubble for me is Joystiq; I think I like their format (discuss games being played early on) more than the people. The non-studio approach probably affects that chemistry, too (after all, Ludwig is in South Africa).

The reason the format is important to me is that I usually just listen to the first 30-50 minutes of some podcasts because my player has a tough time forwarding back to place if I shuffle through files. That prob should be corrected post-Christmas.
Old 12-19-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
The only one that is seemingly on the perpetual bubble for me is Joystiq; I think I like their format (discuss games being played early on) more than the people. The non-studio approach probably affects that chemistry, too (after all, Ludwig is in South Africa).
You would think, but GWJ does a great job with this. I can't even tell they aren't all in the same studio. Same goes with the PC Gamer Podcast (which I haven't listened to in months). I was surprised to learn they were doing a lot of that over Skype too.
Old 12-19-08, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
You would think, but GWJ does a great job with this. I can't even tell they aren't all in the same studio. Same goes with the PC Gamer Podcast (which I haven't listened to in months). I was surprised to learn they were doing a lot of that over Skype too.
You're right, GWJ is very good with that. Joystiq always has connection problems - which actually makes for a lot of amusing moments. PC Gamer also sounds in-studio. Oh well, so much for my theory.

BTW, I just started listening to Idle Thumbs earlier today - seems alright so far (roughly 20 minutes in).
Old 12-19-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't deal with Retronaut Jeremy's "I hate podcasting / I'm so unprepared for this show / this sux" attitude. I finally had to unsubscribe. I can't believe they haven't replaced him by now, he always comes across as such a whiny dick, being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. I always liked Retronauts when Shane came on (unfortunately not every episode) because whatever you might say about his biases, he knows his retro shit far more than anyone else on 1UP. Whenever Jeremy is talking about the Sega Master System, C64, or even the Megadrive/Genesis (all of which he seems to have very little experience with) I want to tear my hair out. Plus his bitterness in the Final Fantasy 7 retro episode was quite unbearable. Sure it may not be the best FF or even hold up so well, but why all the hate? You'd think the game had killed his first born child or something.
Old 12-20-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm just listened to the latest 1UP Yours. Unfortunately, not so great. There's a reason I unsubscribed from Giant Bomb, they're kind of the fratboys of video game podcasting (as they were at Gamespot too). It didn't ruin it but I don't think much of Patrick Klepik either, he always comes off as so arrogant, even more so than when he was at 1UP. Tina didn't really talk enough to be a factor. Shane reading the news didn't have the same pizzazz as usual, even though I definitely do like having him there.

Anyway, I guess it will be similar next week, since this week's and next week's were recorded as two parts of the same session. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 12-20-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chris_D

Anyway, I guess it will be similar next week, since this week's and next week's were recorded as two parts of the same session. Anyone else have any thoughts?
I do. It's the week before Christmas. All the great games have come and gone and I doubt any of them even want to be there.
Old 12-20-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[cheap plug]For the 360 folks on the board, the podcast that I'm invovled in is giving away some free crap in our latest episode. All you gotta do is write us and let us know your favorite (or worst if you want) games of 2008. (Details in my sig.)[/cheap plug]

And if anyone ever takes a listen to our show please drop us a line and let us know what you think!
Old 01-21-09, 02:26 AM

Re: Video game podcasts

I'm missing 1UP Yours now that it's gone. I listened to a few of the Joystiq podcasts, but I find them extremely boring. I need to find another one.
Old 01-21-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last 1up Yours is released on Friday, and then a replacement podcast tentatively called "1up Ours" premiers on 1/30-per Garnet's blog.
Old 01-21-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dcswirl
I'm missing 1UP Yours now that it's gone. I listened to a few of the Joystiq podcasts, but I find them extremely boring. I need to find another one.
I listen to 10-15/week on my commute...some of my favorites:

Drunken Gamers (really funny guys with eclectic tastes)
Idle Thumbs (solidly produced, informative and funny)
Podtoid (Jim Sterling makes this one worth listening to)
Giant Bombcast (started off rough last year, but has gotten very good)
Player One Podcast (former EGM guys...professionals)
Video Game Show (well edited and often funny)

I agree about Joystiq, but I still listen every week. Same for the IGN podcasts...Gamescoop is good, but you have to be in the mood for some random sillyness.
Old 01-21-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah the IGN ones are ... different. I like Gamescoop and Three Red Lights but the others are a chore.
Old 01-21-09, 09:46 AM

For fans of (former) 1UP, a couple of new ones have formed recently: Rebel FM (with Nick, Phil, Anthony, etc.) and Geekbox Radio (with Ryan Scott, etc.).

Rebel has been pretty good, haven't heard Geek yet.
Old 01-21-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

all the guys from the 1up show have created a new video podcast called Co-op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI5HSf3SXPc

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.