Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video game podcasts Rock

Just a heads up to those fans of 1Up Yours. They just released an epic 3 1/2 hour final show.
Old 01-23-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Video game podcasts Rock

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Just a heads up to those fans of 1Up Yours. They just released an epic 3 1/2 hour final show.
A very, very good show. Lots of good memories and Luke and Shane going at it each other with insults one last time was pretty cool.
Old 01-23-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by darkside
A very, very good show. Lots of good memories and Luke and Shane going at it each other with insults one last time was pretty cool.
The crying was actually quite moving.
Old 01-23-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Holy shit! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-23-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Video game podcasts

I downloaded it at work and started it. I was so stoked to hear Luke was on it again. Unfortunately i only got to listen to like 30 minutes of the thing.
Old 01-26-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I missed the thread bump, so color me surprised when I saw the podcast show up in itunes (since I hadn't deleted my sub). I was even more surprised hearing Luke.
Old 01-26-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a good show, Garnett struggled a couple times to make it through. A lot of good memories.

According to his Twitter, Robert Ashley's new show is called A Life Well Wasted and should be up tomorrow. Shawn Elliott has already heard it and loved it.
Old 01-26-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a good one. And I'm not biased just because I'm the host.
Dead Pixel Live: monday - thursday at 6:30pm EST Live on allgames.com

Its on itunes and www.deadpixellive.com also.
We cover daily gaming news, interviews, live callers, etc. etc.

D
Old 01-27-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason I don't remember the 1upyours of old being filled with so much innuendo and adolescent giggling. Maybe it was Luke being back but parts of the show were hard to listen to.

Originally Posted by atxbomber
It was a good show, Garnett struggled a couple times to make it through. A lot of good memories.
The end of the show was pretty sad, you could tell it meant a lot to them to say goodbye to the former 1upyours.

According to his Twitter, Robert Ashley's new show is called A Life Well Wasted and should be up tomorrow. Shawn Elliott has already heard it and loved it.
Looking forward to this, although I wouldn't expect Shawn to say he hated it.
Old 01-27-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Looking forward to this, although I wouldn't expect Shawn to say he hated it.
Oh I agree. But his tweets on the show did seem geniune... well as much as they can on twitter, I guess.
Old 01-28-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI...the show is now available!

http://alifewellwasted.com/

Looking forward to giving it a listen!

Jeff Green sez.....

Robert Ashley's new podcast, A Life Well Wasted might be the best single gaming podcast I've ever listened to. I mean it. I don't mean this to denigrate all of us who have done it before and continue to do it. All those other gaming podcasts we love are still great.

But what Ashley has done here, to use a cliche I absolutely abhor, is..."take it to the next level." Here we have what has the makings of being the "This American Life" of gaming podcasts. Anyone who's ever listened to that NPR podcast knows that I mean this as the highest possible compliment, as "This American Life" is a must-listen, consistently brilliant piece of audio journalism that is always as entertaining as it is informative. "A Well Wasted Life" sounds very much like "This American Life", complete with appropriately-timed music edited in with the talking, and Ashley narrating and guiding the program with wit and intelligence like a deeper-voiced, stoned Ira Glass.

Ashley's debut show is about the death of EGM---and if you think you're sick of this topic by now, listen anyway, because he interviews tons of great people with all sorts of memories and insight unlike anything that's come out since that shitty day.

It's an astounding first episode. Ashley was always hilarious on the Brodeo. But you have to go back to his writing in the magazines and the website to realize that he had something this professional and high-quality in him.

Bra-fuggin'o.
Awesome.

Last edited by superfro; 01-28-09 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ashley's show is loaded up on my mp3 player and I'm really looking forward to it. It doesn't sound like it will be a weekly show, but who cares if it's good.
Old 01-29-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I listened to about 20 minutes of it before I left work. Pretty solid. Very unique format. It probably took a shit-ton of work to put together though. It will be interesting to see what a standard format show will be.

I did already enjoy it more than most of what's been recommended here.
Old 01-30-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I'm really curious about though is what future shows will be and how they'll be put together. Ashley had a ready made topic and access to guests with the EGM ep. He did a great job with putting the show together, but I can't imagine he has any budget to fly around and talk to various people, so I'm really anxious to see what the next show will be. Still, it was definitely nice to hear a video game podcast with a different format.
Old 01-30-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Very unique format.

It's very unique. If you've never heard NPR's This American Life. Which it seems to be imitating.
Old 01-30-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The one thing I'm really curious about though is what future shows will be and how they'll be put together. Ashley had a ready made topic and access to guests with the EGM ep. He did a great job with putting the show together, but I can't imagine he has any budget to fly around and talk to various people, so I'm really anxious to see what the next show will be. Still, it was definitely nice to hear a video game podcast with a different format.
I agree, and have the same worry. I really hope he succeeds in putting this out level of show out on a frequent basis, but it will be very difficult to pull off consistently without a team of people similar to This American Life. It was a great podcast though, it's nice to hear a break from the typical round table discussion.
Old 01-30-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mopower
It's very unique. If you've never heard NPR's This American Life. Which it seems to be imitating.
I haven't, but it is definitely unique in the gaming arena where every podcast is nearly identical. It'll be nice if he can pull it off on a semi-regular basis. It'll be nice to have one gaming-cast that doesn't follow the "what you've been playing, new releases, news, feedback" rut that everyone else is stuck in.
Old 01-30-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

new "1up yours" podcast is up.

called ListenUp

first episode is garnett, john davison, david ellis and sam kennedy
Old 01-30-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 01-30-09, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
new "1up yours" podcast is up.

called ListenUp

first episode is garnett, john davison, david ellis and sam kennedy
Listened to it earlier tonight. Other then Shane being gone and the name change, not a huge difference in content. Not that it's a bad thing.

Of the new former 1up cast podcasts, I think the geekbox might be my favorite. Ryan Scott seems much more comfortable and natural. I think he has good chemistry with Karen Chu.
Old 01-31-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Of the new former 1up cast podcasts, I think the geekbox might be my favorite. Ryan Scott seems much more comfortable and natural. I think he has good chemistry with Karen Chu.
Yeah, I like this a lot too. It's funny, because Karen used to grate on my nerves on Legendary Thread for some reason, but on Geekbox she's great. I actually like that it's not just a video game podcast, and I hope they embrace the constant tangents.

One thing about podcasts I've found is that I don't care so much about what the hosts are talking about, as much as I care about liking the hosts. A show could be tailor-made to talk about everything that I love, but if the hosts are boring I won't listen. But when the hosts have chemistry? I'll listen to them talk about gardening.
Old 01-31-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just listened to Geekbox. It was OK, I guess, but I didn't have much interest in the tangents.

Rebel FM is pretty much the same old show...which is a good thing.

Looking forward to the new 1up Yours (glad John Davison is sticking around) and am really interested in A Life Well Wasted.
Old 01-31-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A Life Well Wasted was amazing. I really love the format he used for it. I noticed that the new 1UP Yours is called Listen Up. I listened to it and it is basically 1UP Yours. John Davidson and David Ellis were on with Sam Kennedy replacing Shane. Good show and pretty much the old show without Shane. I agree with John about Resident Evil 5. The demo is god awful to play. Looks great, but there is just no way I can ever play a shooter where you can't run and shoot and your guy moves that slow and clunky again. Fine on the GameCube, but it no longer holds up.

Last edited by darkside; 01-31-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 09:02 PM
Mok

A new podcast is up at 1up.com hosted by Tina Sanchez, Sam Kennedy, Scott Sharkey, and Chris Plante. It's called Good Grief, sounds pretty good.

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172958
Old 02-25-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had to drop Geekbox Radio because they kept spoiling the latest episodes of all the TV shows I watch! boooo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.