Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Old 02-25-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Just subscribe to the podcast you want in the itunes music store and re-download it on the computer that you want them all on. It's not like it costs anything. Just takes the extra time to download over. No transferring needed.
Old 02-25-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just subscribe to the podcast you want in the itunes music store and re-download it on the computer that you want them all on. It's not like it costs anything. Just takes the extra time to download over. No transferring needed.
I had every episode of happy tree friends downloaded and didn't want to do it again
Old 02-25-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I had every episode of happy tree friends downloaded and didn't want to do it again
Between the amount of time spent posting and the amount of time it would take to transfer, you'd be well on your way to being done.
Old 02-25-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
Between the amount of time spent posting and the amount of time it would take to transfer, you'd be well on your way to being done.
Yeah - it's pretty easy to ask it to download everything, then the best part about computers is that they automate a lot of things.
Old 04-02-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know the site that they keep mentioning on either 1up Yours podcast, GFW podcast or PC Gamer for the browser games? I always forget to write it down when I am listening at work and their sites suck when it comes to support for their podcasts.
Old 04-02-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Does anyone know the site that they keep mentioning on either 1up Yours podcast, GFW podcast or PC Gamer for the browser games? I always forget to write it down when I am listening at work and their sites suck when it comes to support for their podcasts.
kongregate
Old 04-02-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
kongregate
Thanks, but there is another one. It only has 4 games and it runs completely in the browser. I believe it is supposed to have a tribes type game soon.
Old 04-02-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Thanks, but there is another one. It only has 4 games and it runs completely in the browser. I believe it is supposed to have a tribes type game soon.
InstantAction?
Old 04-30-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reviving this thread to announce the return of Broadcast Gamer...a favorite of the guys at Team Freemont and one I enjoy quite a bit.

www.broadcastgamer.com
Old 06-10-08, 03:53 PM

Bump!

I just recently got into the whole video game podcast thing (for travel to work) and I really dig it. I currently listen to Joystiq's, and a few from IGN and 1UP. My consistent favs are GFW (always loved Jeff Green's column) and Retronauts. The handful of podcasts I snag are good, but I was checking to see if y'all have any fresh suggestions.
Old 06-10-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still listen to and highly recommend 1Up Yours.

I also began listening to Game Theory and have enjoyed it as well. It is a little more academic but still a good listen.

Anyone know if Gamasutra does a podcast?
Old 06-10-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My current subscriptions include 1UpYours, Hotspot @ Gamespot, GFW, Gamers with Jobs, Broadcast Gamer, and GameRadio.
Old 06-10-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I also began listening to Game Theory and have enjoyed it as well. It is a little more academic but still a good listen.
I'm really enjoying Game Theory. They don't ramble on about inane shit and it is very tightly edited.

I was also really into Gamers with Jobs up until about a month ago and then Age of Conan came around and since it has become the unofficial AoC podcast. zzzzz.... between that and all the talk of WoW and Sins of the Solar Empire I checked out a few weeks ago. I keep checking the descriptions for some console talk but lately it's been too PC heavy.
Old 06-10-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
1up, Gamers With Jobs, and PC Gamer

The Hotspot went straight to hell after everybody left. It has been painful for the last couple of episodes.

Anyone have a good anime podcast they like? Anime world order is horrible but they do know their anime. Can't stand their attitude. Might just be me though.
Old 06-11-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still think GFW is by far the best podcast out there, even if you're not a pc gamer. Even though they go off topic pretty often, it's always entertaining, and the little amount of time they do spend on games is more in depth and interesting than podcasts that spend the entire show on games.

1upyours was a close second, but with Shawn Elliot leaving the podcast to focus on GFW Radio I'm skeptical about the future of the podcast. I think Shawn's cynical attitude about the industry brought a (IMO) much needed balance to the podcast (like when he called out Shane for sticking to the Konami script for his MGS4 preview). John brings some balance too (like when he called out Garnett for the Resident Evil lore this week), but he isn't going to be on the show consistently.

I like Game Theory still, but I think the podcast name is loftier than the actual discussions.

I was also really into Gamers with Jobs up until about a month ago and then Age of Conan came around and since it has become the unofficial AoC podcast. zzzzz.... between that and all the talk of WoW and Sins of the Solar Empire I checked out a few weeks ago. I keep checking the descriptions for some console talk but lately it's been too PC heavy.
I'm playing Age of Conan and I felt the same way. I don't have a problem with the games you can play right now segment centering around one game, most other podcasts spent a few episodes on only GTA. The problem was Age on Conan took over all discussions. The discussion on hype a few weeks back, was dominated by Age of Conan, even though there are a lot of better examples of game hype recently. They took a very broad topic and really limited the discussion to one game. When you play MMO's they suck up all your gaming time, so it makes sense that a podcast where a lot of them are playing an MMO, is dominated by MMO discussions.

I've been trying a few other podcasts that I'm not convinced on yet. Broadcast Gamer needs more people on the show (for me). I like the discussions that come out of the different perspectives, and I often disagree with the hosts opinions on Broadcast Gamer, but nobody else is there to provide contrast. I've also been trying Team Freemont Live. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to hard with the drunken gamers shtick, and the sense of humor doesn't grab me. I'll try a few more episodes.
Old 06-11-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
I still think GFW is by far the best podcast out there, even if you're not a pc gamer. Even though they go off topic pretty often, it's always entertaining, and the little amount of time they do spend on games is more in depth and interesting than podcasts that spend the entire show on games.
I'm still subscribed to the PC Gamer Podcast and the Gamespot podcast, but I never listen to them. I pretty much stick to the 1up family of shows now for my videogame podcasting needs.

Of them:

I agree with msdmoney that GFW is head and shoulders above the rest. I think they have the perfect mix of personalities on that show and talk about games in a way that isn't pretentious or boring. Plus, I love the random tangents they go on every week (hell I wish they would just talk about entertainment in general, since I get a kick out of them talking about tv, movies, and comics). It's the more informal nature of that show couple with some really insightful commentary that keeps me coming back week after week. I just wish Ryan would talk more. He's pretty good on Legendary Thread. I hope that Anthony Guygos<sp> joins as a regular, as I thought he was a nice addition to the show.

1up yours I still enjoy, if not so much for the personalities, as the topics they cover. Since it's more structured than GFW, 1up tends to touch on a broader variety of subjects and has that 4-minute Warning segment which I really love. Not to mention all of the community stuff they address in general.

I don't play Wow, and never will, but I listen to and enjoy Legendary Thread as well. For some reason I get a kick out of people talking about leveling up their Orcs and Elves and not in an "I'm laughing at you way" either. It's just entertaining to me.

Retronauts is hit or miss. I'm not really big on Sharkey, so whenever he's on the show takes a hit, at least for my tastes.
Old 06-11-08, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm still subscribed to the PC Gamer Podcast and the Gamespot podcast, but I never listen to them. I pretty much stick to the 1up family of shows now for my videogame podcasting needs.

Of them:

I agree with msdmoney that GFW is head and shoulders above the rest. I think they have the perfect mix of personalities on that show and talk about games in a way that isn't pretentious or boring. Plus, I love the random tangents they go on every week (hell I wish they would just talk about entertainment in general, since I get a kick out of them talking about tv, movies, and comics). It's the more informal nature of that show couple with some really insightful commentary that keeps me coming back week after week. I just wish Ryan would talk more. He's pretty good on Legendary Thread. I hope that Anthony Guygos<sp> joins as a regular, as I thought he was a nice addition to the show.

1up yours I still enjoy, if not so much for the personalities, as the topics they cover. Since it's more structured than GFW, 1up tends to touch on a broader variety of subjects and has that 4-minute Warning segment which I really love. Not to mention all of the community stuff they address in general.

I don't play Wow, and never will, but I listen to and enjoy Legendary Thread as well. For some reason I get a kick out of people talking about leveling up their Orcs and Elves and not in an "I'm laughing at you way" either. It's just entertaining to me.

Retronauts is hit or miss. I'm not really big on Sharkey, so whenever he's on the show takes a hit, at least for my tastes.
Yup, Sharkey himself is a mixed bag for me. I have more issues with his presentation. Dropping the f-bomb and mofos every sentence doesn't add emphasis to his points - it just kinda makes him sound like a douche. Still, he knows his stuff and I like his presence on Retronauts.

I completely agree that GFW is the most entertaining. It is the least pretentious (which I have found is a problem for many of these podcasts) and I love the personality mix. Ryan taking crud for his devotion to all things Lost and Green's presence alone is worth the tune-in for me.

I like Joystiq's enough, but their gaming tastes differ a great deal from mine.

I love sports games, but I turned off the Sports Anamoly one after a few seconds of play. I don't know if I picked a bad time to try it, but it was painfully annoying.
Old 06-11-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GFW is indeed great, as are most of the rest of the 1Up productions. Garnet continues to be difficult to listen to on 1Up Yours (and his rare EGM Live appearances), though.
Old 06-11-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I decided to give Giant Bombcast another chance yesterday (Gerstman's new show). I gave up on the first episode because they rambled on about energy drinks for 15 minutes, so I decided to give it another shot. About 10 minutes in guess what they were talking about? Fail.
Old 06-11-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I decided to give Giant Bombcast another chance yesterday (Gerstman's new show). I gave up on the first episode because they rambled on about energy drinks for 15 minutes, so I decided to give it another shot. About 10 minutes in guess what they were talking about? Fail.
Thank you for saving me the pain of trying to listen to that crap.

GFW is still my favorite despite the fact they don't even have GFW the mag anymore.
Old 06-11-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That's what I like about it. Every show they try a different energy drink.
Old 06-11-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
GFW is still my favorite despite the fact they don't even have GFW the mag anymore.
I'm sure that's a bummer for them, but I think it's working in the shows favor. Sure, it's PC centric, but they seem to talk more about console games now which is great.

Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
Yup, Sharkey himself is a mixed bag for me. I have more issues with his presentation. Dropping the f-bomb and mofos every sentence doesn't add emphasis to his points - it just kinda makes him sound like a douche. Still, he knows his stuff and I like his presence on Retronauts.
You hit the nail on the head. I will give him the fact that he does know his shit though.
Old 06-11-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They only talk about energy drinks for maybe 5 minutes of each show. Try skipping that part and listening to the rest of the show and see what you think. If you liked the old Gamespot podcasts, it's like that but without any restraints on language. Their policy on spoilers is a little lax though, so beware of that. That bothers me more than the few minutes spent talking about energy drinks.
Old 06-21-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This weeks GFW was great. The Anthony asking out the game-girl story had me in stitches! As did the Dolphin noises. I love this show.
Old 06-21-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
This weeks GFW was great. The Anthony asking out the game-girl story had me in stitches! As did the Dolphin noises. I love this show.
I loved the story about backyard wrestling. The "Slay Ride"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.