Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii thread - part V

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
A Soul Calibur adventure game is coming to Wii.
Yeah.. I saw that a couple days ago before it was "confirmed." Here's what Gonintendo says:

"Soul Calibur Legends is heading to the Wii, and it will take the fighting franchise in an adventure direction. This time around you will meet the Soul Calibur characters through your journey, and that is when the fighting comes into play. Details are very scarce right now, but we do know that you’ll be fighting with the Wiimote. More information may pop up later tonight."
Old 05-09-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll probably be a greatly expanded on version of the various "quest" modes that have been in the home versions.
Old 05-09-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, I can't imagine soul caliber being that fun playing with the Wiimote. Everyone knows you need a decent arcade stick for the game
Old 05-09-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
damn, I can't imagine soul caliber being that fun playing with the Wiimote. Everyone knows you need a decent arcade stick for the game
I'm thinking some games that rely on more traditional controls are going to start offering that -- either using the gamecube controller, classic controller, or some new attachment.
Old 05-09-07, 09:26 AM

I'm personally a HUGE fan of the series and believe its the paramount of fighting games. That being said, for someone who has played the series for 1000+ hours, I think it would be a totally different experience.

"New" doesn't always = bad, but in this case I wish I was actually excited for it
Old 05-09-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts
Since Soul Calibur is weapons-based fighter, I think using the wii-mote as a sword or the nunchuk as a... um, nunchuck can work pretty well.
Old 05-09-07, 10:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Folks, bear in mind that the new Soul Caliber is an adventure game, not a fighter.
Old 05-09-07, 10:53 AM

Well, i'm basically trying to make the point that it would have absolutely nothing to do with soul caliber, and would just be using the name to boost sales
Old 05-09-07, 10:57 AM

If it takes place in the Soul Caliber universe and uses the characters from the earlier games, then it would in fact have something to do with it.
Old 05-09-07, 11:05 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Groucho
Folks, bear in mind that the new Soul Caliber is an adventure game, not a fighter.
What remains to be seen is whether its a true adventure game (ala Zelda) of it its just a fleshed out expansion of the Quest modes in the previous games (i.e. the combat is the same as the fighting games).

If its the former, it could be great. But if the latter I'll pass as like the others I don't have much interest in a fighting game with motion controls.
Old 05-09-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
"meet the Soul Calibur characters through your journey, and that is when the fighting comes into play."

It won't be a Fighting game, but there will be fighting.
Old 05-09-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
What remains to be seen is whether its a true adventure game (ala Zelda) of it its just a fleshed out expansion of the Quest modes in the previous games (i.e. the combat is the same as the fighting games).

If its the former, it could be great. But if the latter I'll pass as like the others I don't have much interest in a fighting game with motion controls.
I am. That sounds bad-ass. I'd maybe get some folks to play fighting games with again. The stuff I've heard on Mortal Kombat so far on the Wii is pretty positive. Sounds like the motion control stuff makes it easier for people to learn the moves.

There's too high of a learning curve for fighting games to the fighting game novices. I've got some people to play Mario Kart or Streets of Rage or Monkey Ball with. But no one I can't beat with one hand tied behind my back at any sort of fighting game.
Old 05-09-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.. I definately want to try a fighting game with motion controls. Not sure how well it'd work, but I really want to try it. I'll rent MK for that specific reason.
Old 05-09-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I haven't had the patience to learn a new fighting game since Masters of Teras Kasi! Man, did I rule at that game.

I'm sure there's some message in there about wasted college years...

Last edited by jdpatri; 05-09-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 01:15 PM
Retired

I think it would just be too frantic with just too much flailing around.

But I agree it would probably be better for novices, or those that really dig the motion controls in general.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-09-07 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I think it would just be too frantic with just too much flailing around.

But I agree it would probably be better for novices, or those that really did the motion controls in general.
I've never really bothered to learn a fighting game - I've always been a button-masher. I can only imagine how stupid I'd look during a motion controlled fighting game. "Maybe if I pump my fist in the air three times and then make circles with both arms something cool will happen..."
Old 05-09-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I've never really bothered to learn a fighting game - I've always been a button-masher. I can only imagine how stupid I'd look during a motion controlled fighting game. "Maybe if I pump my fist in the air three times and then make circles with both arms something cool will happen..."
SF2 is basically the only fighting game I ever got into and I did learn the combos/specials for that game for just about every character... But I (with friends) literally played that everyday on the SNES. It's one of the few SNES games I played because SFII pretty much didn't leave the catridge slot.

I bought SSB for the GC recently, but haven't played it much. It looks like it would be fun in multi-player, but so far I've only been playing single player and it's just ok.

I think motion controls can be done with flailing if it's done well. You can mix button and motion... I dunno. I think MK and the wrestling game from THQ will give a taste for fighting with motion -- to see if it would work well for SSB (or Soul Calibur).
Old 05-09-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cool concept art for the Soul Calibur Adventure game gives me a 'God of War' vibe.
Old 05-11-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamestop and Best Buy are now taking pre-orders for Metroid Prime 3

Does this mean it's coming soon?
Old 05-11-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars

This is news? Gamestop was taking pre-orders for Halo 3 before Halo 2 came out.
Old 05-11-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars

No, it means they want to earn interest on our money for a long time.
Old 05-11-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Pre-orders = waste of $$$. I just walk in to the store the day I want the game and buy it. I'd rather keep the interest in my savings account.
Old 05-11-07, 10:45 AM

most of the time, sure, they really are.

On more than one occasion, though, I picked up multiple pre-orders just to get the pre-order offer. In the case of Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin, I picked up 3 pre-orders, and sold the special bonus for $50 each on ebay, BIN.

That paid for my game, and I was able to give the game as a present to my brother and a friend
Old 05-11-07, 10:46 AM

There are games that are hard to find for weeks. And sometimes you get some pretty cool extras for pre-ordering (such as the Zelda compilation disc for pre-ordering Wind Waker). But normally, I don't do it either. Have to leave time for the reviews and word of mouth.
Old 05-11-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Agreed. 99% of the time, not worth it, but there is that 1% rare instance like the Zelda disc that make sucking it up that one time worth it.

FWIW, the Bioshock SE, will only be available at EB/GS, so pre-ordering might be good in this case. Assuming you are interested in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.