Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is The Playstation 3 a bust?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is The Playstation 3 a bust?

Old 03-23-07, 06:41 PM
  #226  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Sony Playstation eats the Nintendo 64 for lunch. Then throws up.

At least put some humor or edge into it.
Agreed. Lest we forget:
Old 03-23-07, 11:25 PM
  #227  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm not sure if I find this funny or sad...
(btw, this is a real ad):

That's absurd. Also, Blu-rays are NOT DVDs.
Old 03-23-07, 11:45 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 18,009
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That's absurd. Also, Blu-rays are NOT DVDs.
You know.. if you could hook a printer up to it, it might not be a bad idea as a computer. You can use Google for spreadsheets and word processing.

Well actually.. can't you run Linux on a PS3... I guess you could just buy a PS3 instead of a computer. In that case, it is a bargain.

Except.. I don't need another computer. Kinda like how $1500 macs might be better than a $400 Dell... but I don't need a $1500 computer.
Old 03-23-07, 11:59 PM
  #229  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Harbor City, CA USA
Posts: 986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much longer before the "Sony going 3rd party and exiting hardware" rumor starts....?
Old 03-24-07, 12:10 AM
  #230  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,364
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Hey, I just read sony is going 3rd party and leaving hardware to the pros, any truth to that?
Old 03-24-07, 12:14 AM
  #231  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,579
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just heard that too.
Old 03-24-07, 01:33 AM
  #232  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that Sony made a deal to get Duke Nukem Forever exclusively on the PS3. They said that the reason DNF was delayed so much is because the awesomeness of a true next-gen Duke can only be done on the Cell, and it will take up all 50 GB of the Blu-ray disc.
Old 03-24-07, 01:40 AM
  #233  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,602
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
I heard that Sony made a deal to get Duke Nukem Forever exclusively on the PS3. They said that the reason DNF was delayed so much is because the awesomeness of a true next next-gen Duke can only be done on the Cell, and it will take up all 50 GB of the Blu-ray disc.
Corrected.
Old 03-24-07, 02:47 AM
  #234  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That's absurd. Also, Blu-rays are NOT DVDs.
That tells me right there that this can't be a real ad (or at least, it's not from Sony). I hear people new to HD discs referring to BDs as DVDs, but not Sony. They've been careful about using the trademarks correctly. Also, in this ad the "r" in "ray" is capitalized, and there's no hyphen. There might be crazy marketing speak, but incorrect details like that would have no place in an official ad.
Old 03-24-07, 07:57 AM
  #235  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hdtv00
NDP numbers for February

Nintendo DS 485,149
Wii 335,324
PlayStation 2 295,102
Xbox 360 228,225
PlayStation Portable 175,651
Game Boy Advance 135,887
PlayStation 3 127,321
GameCube 23,844
Xbox 480
Where can I find these on a monthly basis?

Thanks
Old 03-24-07, 08:06 AM
  #236  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Where can I find these on a monthly basis?

Thanks
The 1upyours podcast gets the numbers and discusses them every month. It is also the best gaming podcast out there imo.
Old 03-24-07, 07:20 PM
  #237  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vgcharts.org
Old 03-24-07, 10:59 PM
  #238  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
That tells me right there that this can't be a real ad (or at least, it's not from Sony). I hear people new to HD discs referring to BDs as DVDs, but not Sony. They've been careful about using the trademarks correctly. Also, in this ad the "r" in "ray" is capitalized, and there's no hyphen. There might be crazy marketing speak, but incorrect details like that would have no place in an official ad.

I don't think anyone suggested it was a real Sony ad, just that it was real ad.

From the logo on the bottom right, and the pic in general, it looks to be a print out a game store that was stuck with a lot of unsold PS3s taped to the window.
Old 03-25-07, 02:29 AM
  #239  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw this on Digg, not sure what store was doing this but I thought it was an interesting take on the angle.

Last edited by pinata242; 03-25-07 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 03:59 AM
  #240  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it would still be the cheapest blue ray player right, and apparently the quality is on par with the other players.
Old 03-25-07, 04:28 AM
  #241  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 561
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony UK Boss Calls the US a ‘Land of Cheap People’ to Justify PS3 Price

And the hilarity continues. This guy could be the worst corporate spinster of all time. I suppose it'd have to be put into perspective considering the audience isn't American, but really, it's a lame way to advertise and promote a product. "Buy this console because it's really expensive to avoid being American." Would have loved to hear this guy's take on why Europe is getting gimped PS3s.
Old 03-25-07, 04:20 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,862
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Well it would still be the cheapest blue ray player right, and apparently the quality is on par with the other players.
It is actually better than most of the other Blu-ray players on the market as it has full java support. I bought mine mostly for movies.
Old 03-25-07, 04:48 PM
  #243  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,602
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Sony UK Boss Calls the US a ‘Land of Cheap People’ to Justify PS3 Price

And the hilarity continues. This guy could be the worst corporate spinster of all time. I suppose it'd have to be put into perspective considering the audience isn't American, but really, it's a lame way to advertise and promote a product. "Buy this console because it's really expensive to avoid being American." Would have loved to hear this guy's take on why Europe is getting gimped PS3s.
It blows my mind. It absolutely blows my mind.

They are succeeding at making me never want to buy a PS3.
Old 03-25-07, 07:15 PM
  #244  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 18,009
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe all the Sony execs have Nintendo stocks.
Old 03-26-07, 12:01 PM
  #245  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Sony UK Boss Calls the US a ‘Land of Cheap People’ to Justify PS3 Price

And the hilarity continues. This guy could be the worst corporate spinster of all time. I suppose it'd have to be put into perspective considering the audience isn't American, but really, it's a lame way to advertise and promote a product. "Buy this console because it's really expensive to avoid being American." Would have loved to hear this guy's take on why Europe is getting gimped PS3s.
I don't think that's what he's saying... he's saying that the cost of living is higher in the UK, and that's why the PS3 is more expensive there than the US. Not sure how that compares to other consoles released there, and his phrasing (land of cheap people) is a little suspect, but it may just be an idiom or something.
Old 03-26-07, 12:03 PM
  #246  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
It blows my mind. It absolutely blows my mind.

They are succeeding at making me never want to buy a PS3.
They've succeeded with me.
Old 03-26-07, 12:14 PM
  #247  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
His phrasing (land of cheap people) is a little suspect, but it may just be an idiom or something.
It's more than a little suspect. My interpretation is that he's saying that there's a lot of Jews here.
Old 03-26-07, 12:46 PM
  #248  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plainfield, IL ok, it's really Joliet
Posts: 617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They've succeeded with me.
I'm beginning to regret buying mine. Sony seems to be treating the consumer as sheep-ole instead of the reason they are in business. Get you head out of your ass Sony. We, the consumers, are the one's paying your salaries.
Old 03-26-07, 01:35 PM
  #249  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think that's what he's saying... he's saying that the cost of living is higher in the UK, and that's why the PS3 is more expensive there than the US. Not sure how that compares to other consoles released there, and his phrasing (land of cheap people) is a little suspect, but it may just be an idiom or something.
Agreed:

"consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK – a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."
Seems to me he's not saying that Americans are cheap, just that it's really cheap to be an American. It's the weird way he talks about "the cost of people" that seems to be throwing people. If we're wanting to get all up in arms here's a better headline:

SONY UK says that Americans make cheaper slaves than Brits!

Last edited by Mordred; 03-26-07 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-07, 01:36 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,539
Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by corbin dallas
Get you head out of your ass Sony. We, the consumers, are the one's paying your salaries.
Well technically they aren't making any money yet, so...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.