Reload this Page >

Is The Playstation 3 a bust?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is The Playstation 3 a bust?

Old 03-23-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I missed your post before, and unless I'm reading it wrong, this is completely and utterly wrong. HD signals are carried over antenna as well. For free. Fox, NBC, ABC, & CBS. All you need is an HDTV with a built in decoder and a decent antenna.

So theoretically all Jim Bob needs is an HDTV and an antenna strong enough to pick up the signals.

But I may be reading your response wrong.
Yup cuz I don't have cable and I get HD OTA...
Old 03-23-07, 09:05 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I missed your post before, and unless I'm reading it wrong, this is completely and utterly wrong. HD signals are carried over antenna as well. For free. Fox, NBC, ABC, & CBS. All you need is an HDTV with a built in decoder and a decent antenna.

So theoretically all Jim Bob needs is an HDTV and an antenna strong enough to pick up the signals.

But I may be reading your response wrong.
You're reading it slightly wrong. I know HD is over the air.

My point was the only people who are watching SD over the air for the most part are poor people who can't afford cable or satellite. Thus they are the ones hurting when the government switches over the air broadcasts to HD only.

They can't afford an HDTV to get these channels (given they can't afford cable or satellite) and thus are inconvenienced with having to get some kind of converter to get the HD signal onto their crappy old SD TV.
Old 03-23-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle

My point was the only people who are watching SD over the air for the most part are poor people who can't afford cable or satellite. Thus they are the ones hurting when the government switches over the air broadcasts to HD only.
I disagree.. I'm not poor, I don't have cable and I know A LOT of others who are in the same boat.. However.. I do see a lot of ghetto'ness where they have 12 kids and no money yet have 2 satellite dishes..
Old 03-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06689_P...ft_Unsold.html

PS3's French Debut- A Total Disaster: 95% of Consoles Left Unsold
Old 03-23-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Old 03-23-07, 09:43 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I disagree.. I'm not poor, I don't have cable and I know A LOT of others who are in the same boat.. However.. I do see a lot of ghetto'ness where they have 12 kids and no money yet have 2 satellite dishes..

There are exceptions to everything. Think more of poor elderly that only have antenna and will need a convert etc.

Of course their are people who choose not to have cable or satellite, most of these people can probably afford the converter if they want to continue to watch SD over the air (or even an HDTV if they don't already have one for DVDs etc.). The old lady on a fixed income is the one hurting when she can't watch her TV without the converter.
Old 03-23-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nazgul
PS3's French Debut- A Total Disaster: 95% of Consoles Left Unsold
Wow.. and just, yikes. And here I actually thought that all the negative press they'd been getting concerning Europe wouldn't actually hurt sales THAT much. That'll teach me to think positive!
Old 03-23-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

They can't afford an HDTV to get these channels (given they can't afford cable or satellite) and thus are inconvenienced with having to get some kind of converter to get the HD signal onto their crappy old SD TV.
Gotcha. That was the second way I was interpreting it, I just assumed it was the first way I read it.
Old 03-23-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does everyone think it's going to be HD-only when the analog signals are switched off? Digital does not necessarily mean HD. SD signals are going to be broadcast for a long time to come. They'll just be coming in over digital signals.
Old 03-23-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. SD signals from cable will be around for a long, long time. Also, HDTVs impact is very overrated IMO. I know quite a few people with HDTVs and maybe 2 out of 40 actually watch anything HD on them.
Old 03-23-07, 03:10 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Why does everyone think it's going to be HD-only when the analog signals are switched off? Digital does not necessarily mean HD. SD signals are going to be broadcast for a long time to come. They'll just be coming in over digital signals.
As I understand it one needs a convert to get SD over the air when this switchover happens?

Is that not correct?

If so, my point was it won't change anything with the adoption of HD, and just inconveniences people who only watch OTA SD channels now...especially people who do so because of poverty.
Old 03-23-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I understand it one needs a convert to get SD over the air when this switchover happens?

Is that not correct?

If so, my point was it won't change anything with the adoption of HD, and just inconveniences people who only watch OTA SD channels now...especially people who do so because of poverty.
No, that's not correct. If you have a TV with an ATSC tuner, you're fine. So either you have to buy a TV with an ATSC tuner (and I don't believe you can buy NTSC tuner-TVs any longer) or you have to get an ATSC box that your old (NTSC) TV can use.
Old 03-23-07, 03:14 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, that's not correct. If you have a TV with an ATSC tuner, you're fine. So either you have to buy a TV with an ATSC tuner (and I don't believe you can buy NTSC tuner-TVs any longer) or you have to get an ATSC box that your old (NTSC) TV can use.

So poor people with old tvs will have to get the ATSC box (or a new tv with the ATSC tuner) to watch SD TV which was my point.

Where was I incorrect?
Old 03-23-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So poor people with old tvs will have to get the ATSC box (or a new tv with the ATSC tuner) to watch SD TV which was my point.

Where was I incorrect?
You seemed to be under the impression that turning off analog OTA signals=HD only.

It is true that old NTSC-only sets will basically stop working after analog signals are shut off if they are used for analog OTA.
Old 03-23-07, 03:25 PM
Retired

Nah, I just meant that old sets won't be able to receive SD OTA anymore without a box.

I new the signals would be there, just that a converter or newer TV would be required to get them.

Which again really accomplishes nothing other than inconveniencing people with old TVs who only watch OTA signals.
Old 03-23-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it a electronics chain similar to Best Buy or Circuit City? Wasn't the price also a bit steeper down under?
Not sure. We have different departments for Furniture, Bedding, Electrical, and Computing. Most stores are pretty big and have several full time salespeople per department.
Old 03-23-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
It's shit like this that's been pissing me off about Sony.

Sony UK boss Ray Maguire has told GamesIndustry.biz that the PlayStation 3 is stepping over the competition from rival Microsoft and Nintendo consoles.
For Maguire, the PlayStation 3 isn't joining the party late, but leaving behind the Wii and Xbox 360 as it bounds into the true hi-definition entertainment world.
"Many people are saying we're now joining the next-generation console era, but I believe we've stepped over the current next-gen to create the real next-generation," said Maguire, in an exclusive interview published today.
Maguire believes the stand out features of the PlayStation 3 the Blu-ray player, the HDMI and 1080p support, and the Cell chip are all crucial to distinguishing the console from the competition.
"All of those things are part of moving from the PlayStation 2 era to the PlayStation 3 and leaving behind all of the middle products that are in the market place right now, which clearly don't compare in terms of technical prowess," he said.
"We're into a hi-def existence, we're into the next part of the entertainment world."
He took the opportunity to take a swing at Microsoft's Xbox 360, and would not be drawn on comparisons between the two machines.
"We're not hooked into a world which was technologically average two years ago. You can't compare the two. If you're comparing the two we would have had the same technology and we'd be at the same price we're not," he said.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23723

It's not like MS and Nintendo couldn't release higher powered and overpriced consoles - they didn't, because they're not dumb.
Old 03-23-07, 04:16 PM
Retired

Yep, even more than the ridiculous price, it's Sony's arrogance that will keep me from buying a PS3 or another Sony product any time soon. And I loved the PS1 and 2 and own a ton of sony electronics.
Old 03-23-07, 04:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm reminded of the PS2 hype, remember when Sony claimed that it could render Toy Story in real time?
Old 03-23-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
"We decide when the next generation begins. Oh, wait, it already did? Well, okay...well, the PS3 is the next NEXT generation - yeah, chew on that!"

They are so next-gen they don't even give you an HDMI cable. Because in the future, all of our appliances communicate via telepathy.
Old 03-23-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It used to be arrogant. Now it's just downright comedic. I'm starting to think they make these kinds of statements to entertain us.
Old 03-23-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
I'm not sure if I find this funny or sad...
(btw, this is a real ad):

Old 03-23-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Groucho
I'm reminded of the PS2 hype, remember when Sony claimed that it could render Toy Story in real time?
This time they said the PS3 could render Spider-Man 2 in real time.
Old 03-23-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, even more than the ridiculous price, it's Sony's arrogance that will keep me from buying a PS3 or another Sony product any time soon. And I loved the PS1 and 2 and own a ton of sony electronics.
Its a good machine too, but they almost defy you to like them and buy their products. Worst PR of any major company I can think of.
Old 03-23-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That stuff irks me. At least in the old days it was funny.

I remember reading about an E3 banner before the release of the N64 and the PS1. It read:

Sony Playstation eats the Nintendo 64 for lunch. Then throws up.

At least put some humor or edge into it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.