Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 thread - 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they really want to push downloadable movies and TV shows over Live (especially in HD), they need to offer a reasonably priced larger HD. What they really should do is support external hard drives via USB, but I think they're too greedy for that. As it stands now, I will stick with the 20GB drive since the price for the 120GB drive is outrageous, and I don't use my 360 for media playing except for HD-DVDs.
Old 03-28-07, 10:22 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm pretty sure the price was announced at 179. Still WAY too high.
Eh, it's not horrible. Consider that these 2.5" drives run (newegg) about $125 for a 120 gb drive. So it isn't absurd that there would be a markup for the casing and transfer cable. I'm not excited to pay that price, but it is reasonable, IMO.

These are not standard 3.5" drives, but the more expensive laptop (2.5") drives.
Old 03-28-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 988 Likes on 715 Posts
The article mentioned that the transfer cable would not be included if you buy the HD by itself. It will be included with the Elite package. So if you want that you have to buy the HD and the transfer kit separately. Its price has not been determined. The article read like this wasn't set in stone yet though.
Old 03-28-07, 10:51 AM
mbs

The article mentioned that the transfer cable would not be included if you buy the HD by itself. It will be included with the Elite package. So if you want that you have to buy the HD and the transfer kit separately. Its price has not been determined. The article read like this wasn't set in stone yet though.
From the engaget article:

"On the solo 120GB drive side of things, that unit will cost $179, and will come with a cable and software to migrate from your old 20GB drive."
Old 03-28-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbs

"On the solo 120GB drive side of things, that unit will cost $179, and will come with a cable and software to migrate from your old 20GB drive."
Damn, I must have had it backwards then. It comes with the separate HD but no confirmation that it comes with the Elite package. My mistake.
Old 03-28-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Damn, I must have had it backwards then. It comes with the separate HD but no confirmation that it comes with the Elite package. My mistake.
Which makes sense. This is still targeted to new customers who won't already have a drive full of saves/games. There probably won't be a whole lot of people upgrading at $500 for these minor enhancements.
Old 03-28-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
Eh, it's not horrible. Consider that these 2.5" drives run (newegg) about $125 for a 120 gb drive. So it isn't absurd that there would be a markup for the casing and transfer cable. I'm not excited to pay that price, but it is reasonable, IMO.
I think it IS horrible. You can't compare this 360-specific drive with standard drives at newegg. The usefulness of the 360-specific drive is far more limited than a standard PC drive.

Let's face it. The primary reason for having a harddrive is so that Microsoft can sell downloads. They tightly control what we can put on these drives. As it stands now, I cannot put my own mp3, wma, and wmv files on it. The best that I can do is rip CDs to it.

So given that the harddrive is basically a cache for Microsoft's personal ATM, the pricing on the drive should be far, far lower.
Old 03-28-07, 11:57 AM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23840

360 Elite validates Sony's hi-def focus – analyst

Matt Martin 15:00 (BST) 28/03/2007

"Microsoft will likely offer a Blu-ray drive with the Elite," says Pachter

Microsoft's release of the Xbox 360 Elite validates Sony's focus on capturing the early market for high-definition entertainment, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

As the format holder continues to sign up more providers of downloadable content to Xbox Live Marketplace, the support for HDMI output is Microsoft's acknowledgement that the hi-def consumer is more important that it initially believed.

"Microsoft's move is an endorsement of high-definition output, and its inclusion of HDMI validates that Sony's initial strategy was correct," said Pachter, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"The 120 GB hard-drive is focused on helping the roll-out of IPTV, and I expect a progression of HDTV broadcast from the current 720p to the 1080p standard over the next few years, so the HDMI output will be relevant."

"On balance, this is a very smart move by Microsoft, but it appears to validate Sony's strategy, and serves as an acknowledgement that HD content matters," he commented.

For Pachter, the Xbox 360 Elite is stepping closer to the functionality of the PlayStation 3, but instead of offering an all-in-one package, Microsoft is giving the consumers a choice to upgrade their current console or buy the individual components relevant to their needs.

"Microsoft has made a bold move here in order to capture additional market share. They have essentially offered consumers the opportunity to replicate the performance of a PS3 by purchasing the 360 Elite plus an external HD-DVD drive," he offered.

"The value proposition is fair, and it places the two companies on similar footing."

The fact that Microsoft is not offering the external HD-DVD drive as part of the new Elite bundle may be an indication that it believes Blu-ray will eventually win the hi-definition format wars.

"It appears to me that Microsoft sees the writing on the wall – Blu-ray is going to win the format wars," he said.

"Ultimately, Microsoft will likely offer a Blu-ray drive with the 360 Elite, and I think consumers will be able to select based solely upon other drivers."

Pachter also believes that although the Xbox 360 Elite will register with early adopters of hi-def content, the current 20GB model will still be sufficient for many consumers.

"I'm hopeful that Microsoft does not phase out the 20GB model," he said.

"I continue to believe that most consumers will be perfectly happy with that SKU, and those with 720p TVs should be very happy with the performance of the current 360."

A price drop of the Premium console would also not be out of the question, said Pachter, giving Microsoft an advantage over Sony at retail.

"Microsoft is in a good position to lower the price of the USD 399 version, and it would give them a big competitive advantage to do so."

"In the final analysis, I would be surprised if they eliminated this SKU, and would consider it a mistake if they were to do so," he concluded.

Chris
Old 03-28-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd easily pay another $200 for a blu-ray add on to the 360. As long as it would work with my premium system. I won't buy an elite system if thats required for blu-ray.
Old 03-28-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mbs

Interesting.

I wonder if I could get $300 for my current 360. If so, I'd buy the Elite, sell the old 360, and transfer my old stuff...if not, I'd likely just buy the bigger HD, and sell the 20GB one.
Old 03-28-07, 12:22 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by sracer
I think it IS horrible. You can't compare this 360-specific drive with standard drives at newegg. The usefulness of the 360-specific drive is far more limited than a standard PC drive.
Um, exactly. It has limited uses and will thus cost more. That happens with every product. Consider, for example, why laptop hard drives cost significantly more than standard PC drives.

All I was saying is this... if the drive alone (a component of the product) goes for ~$120 (link) , how do you expect the entire product to sell for less? Considering you could not buy the drive alone for much cheaper, I'm fine with paying the ~$50 premium for the casing and transfer cable.

And no one needs this for their 360, so I can see why MS doesn't feel the need to lose money on each hard drive sold.

Last edited by mbs; 03-28-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs

These are not standard 3.5" drives, but the more expensive laptop (2.5") drives.
I am finding 160GB drives for $109 so I still consider this drive pretty overpriced. Not as outrageous as their Wi-fi adapter though. Would support for a USB HDD be too much to ask?

Also, they are going after the PS3 in a terrible way. If I want to match the 60GB PS3 I need to buy an elite, Wi-fi adapter and HD DVD add on for a total of $779. I'll stick with the $600 PS3.

Last edited by darkside; 03-28-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Interesting.

I wonder if I could get $300 for my current 360. If so, I'd buy the Elite, sell the old 360, and transfer my old stuff...if not, I'd likely just buy the bigger HD, and sell the 20GB one.
A guy I know that manages a local swap-shop is planning on doing this himself. He says that the going rate for a Premium is right at $300. YMMV, though.
Old 03-28-07, 12:29 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by darkside
I am finding 160GB drives for $109 so I still consider this drive pretty overpriced.
You are looking at 2.5" drives (laptop drives, as used in the 360 HDD) or 3.5" drives? The 3.5" drives are significantly cheaper components.

EDIT - Actually, I just found a 160 GB drive for $120. I was looking specifically at 120 GB and the cheapest 120 GB was $120 from Newegg.
Old 03-28-07, 12:29 PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=13308

March 28, 2007

Microsoft Announces New X360 Video Marketplace Partners

Following official confirmation of the much rumored Xbox 360 Elite hardware, officials from Microsoft have also announced the support of a raft of new video content providers for Xbox Live, including Paramount, Warner Bros., A&E Network, ADV Films, National Geographic and TotalVid.com.

Paramount Pictures will also offer content on Xbox Live for the first time, with move titles such as “Braveheart”, “Team America: World Police”, “World Trade Center” and “South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut”.

At the same time, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release direct-to-video movies exclusively in high definition on Xbox Live – simultaneous with their release on DVD. Initial titles confirmed for the series include “Sublime” and “Babylon 5: The Lost Tales”.

Content offered by A&E Network will include “Dog the Bounty Hunter,” “King of Cars,” “Gene Simmons Family Jewels,” “Driving Force” and “Criss Angel Mindfreak”. National Geographic will offer television series such as “Is It Real?”, “Taboo”, “21 Days to Baghdad” and “Air Force One”.

Specific titles from ADV Films and TotalVid.com have not yet been announced, although the former is one of the major producers and distributors of Japanese anime in the West. TotalVid.com specializes in extreme sports such as skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross, surfing and mountain biking.

“With more than 300 games expected by year’s end, an Xbox Live community of more than 6 million people and a growing catalogue of premium content from some of the biggest names in entertainment today, Xbox 360 is an incredible value,” said Microsoft’s Peter Moore. “Adding partners and content like this helps reinforce the console’s position as the center of connected entertainment in the living room.”

Microsoft claim that the new partners will add more than 1,500 hours of downloadable content to that already available on Xbox Live. It is further claimed that downloads have grown by 400 percent since the service began offering TV shows and movies late last year.

The downloading of movies and TV shows is currently limited to North America, with no specifically announced timetable for a similar service, which would require different licensing deals in other parts of the world.

As examples of the service’s popularity, Microsoft revealed that “South Park” episode “Good Times With Weapons” – the first ever in high definition and offered only for a limited time – has been downloaded 380,000 times. Promotional clips for movie “300” have been downloaded more than 477,000 times.

POSTED: 05.50AM PST, 03/28/07 - David Jenkins
Chris
Old 03-28-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
You are looking at 2.5" drives (laptop drives, as used in the 360 HDD) or 3.5" drives? The 3.5" drives are significantly cheaper components.
2.5" drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&CMP=OTC-C173T

I would need to double check, but I think this is the type of drive the PS3 uses.

Last edited by darkside; 03-28-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
A guy I know that manages a local swap-shop is planning on doing this himself. He says that the going rate for a Premium is right at $300. YMMV, though.
I wonder what it goes for on Amazon or eBay - that's likely where I'd sell it.
Old 03-28-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
I wonder what it goes for on Amazon or eBay - that's likely where I'd sell it.
Stands to reason more than $300 then
Old 03-28-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
Um, exactly. It has limited uses and will thus cost more. That happens with every product. Consider, for example, why laptop hard drives cost significantly more than standard PC drives.
Not quite. The "limited use" for the 360 drive is artificially imposed by Microsoft. That is far different than specialized hardware, that by the nature of the device, is very specialized. Only Microsoft's desire to retain tight control over the harddrive's content limits the use of the drive. If MS allows us to copy photos, music, and video to the drive, then it greatly broadens the usefulness of the drive, and by extension makes it more valuable (and worth the current price).

Originally Posted by mbs
And no one needs this for their 360, so I can see why MS doesn't feel the need to lose money on each hard drive sold.
Microsoft definitely wants us 360 owners to own a harddrive. They can't sell us downloadable content without one. And THAT is the reason for the larger drive.

The reason why they don't feel the need to keep the pressure on to offer value for its customers is because they are confident that their primary competitor (Sony) is in a much worse situation.

If one agrees with Microsoft's party line regarding the purpose of the hard drive, then the current pricing is fine. But for those of us who want to make GREATER use of the 360, then the drive is overpriced.
Old 03-28-07, 12:55 PM

yea, if you wanted to "upgrade", sell your 360 with like 2 or 3 games you aren't exactly fond of, and get like 350 for it

if you waited until the "upgrade" is out, I think a lot of people will have the same idea
Old 03-28-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This Wired blog entry got a hold of the Japanese press release for the 120GB drive and transfer cable. It looks like the functionality of the cable is extremely limited.

Microsoft: Data From Two Xbox 360 HDDs Can't Be Combined On 120 GB Drive

XboxhddIn announcing the Japanese launch of the 120 GB Xbox 360 hard drive, a Microsoft Japan press release revealed some additional information about migration of content: most notably, that the data from two 20 GB drives cannot be combined onto one 120 GB drive.

This wouldn't be so bad had Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg not told gamers at the launch of Xbox Video Marketplace to go out and buy two drives:

At this point we’re not ready yet to roll out a bigger hard drive. I can tell you what people tell me they do to get around this. What they do is they put their Live account on a memory unit and then they have one hard drive that they put their games or related content on, and then they have another drive that they put their movies and TV on.

And so if you took Microsoft's advice on this, you're apparently screwed.

I've translated the pertinent part of the press release, which has a few more details about migrating content, after the jump.

* You can only move data from the 20GB Hard Disk to the 120 GB Hard Disk. Transferring data in the other direction, or any other combination, is not possible.
* Any data stored on the 120 GB hard disk will be automatically deleted.
* Any data stored on the 20 GB hard disk will be automatically deleted after it is moved over.
* You cannot put the data from two or more 20 GB hard disks onto one 120 GB hard disk. If you attempt to move multiple drives, only the last one you move will be stored.
* Once you move the data over, it cannot be placed back on the original hard disk.

Original Japanese:

・ハードディスク (20 GB) からハードディスク (120 GB) へのみ、データを移行することができます。
逆方向への移行や、これ以外の組み合わせでは、データの移行ができません
・移行先のハードディスク (120 GB) に保存されていたデータは消去されます (収録されているコンテンツは除く)。
・移行元のハードディスク (20 GB) に保存されていたデータは、データの移行後に自動的に消去されます。
・2 つ以上のハードディスク (20 GB) のデータを、1 つのハードディスク (120 GB) にまとめることはできません。
移行を複数回行った場合には、最後に移行したデータのみが保存されます。
・一度移行したデータは、元のハードディスクに戻すことができません。
Old 03-28-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Okay, that fucking blows.

That said, could you just redowload everything to the new drive, assuming you used the same Xbox Live account?
Old 03-28-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Okay, that fucking blows.

That said, could you just redowload everything to the new drive, assuming you used the same Xbox Live account?
Not your game saves.
Old 03-28-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's garbage. They just keep digging the hole deeper. They shouldn't have messed with anything considering they were already the consumer favorite by far. This is just going to piss people off.
Old 03-28-07, 02:46 PM

I convinced my brother to pick up a 360 2-3 weeks ago. After telling him about the Elite package, he was really only mad for about 5 minutes, and then let it go.

if you see it as an extra choice, it couldn't be a bad thing from the consumers point of view. If you are using it as a stepping stone to titrate up to the PS3s price, then really, you are just looking for an excuse to get a PS3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.