DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox 360 thread - 3.3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/494189-xbox-360-thread-3-3-a.html)

Liver&Onions 03-03-07 12:50 PM

Xbox 360 thread - 3.3

Advice - Buy one.
If you get the rings, call the 800 number and get a new one

aktick 03-03-07 01:11 PM

Bringing my question over here - Had my 360 since November, and it's now having trouble reading discs. It says "Open Tray" even though there's a game in it, I open and close the tray and it tries reading, but just goes back to "Open Tray." I've tried many different games, and every once in a while Burnout Revenge works, but no others.

Also, audio CDs seem to read fine every time.

Anybody else run into this?

lordwow 03-03-07 02:08 PM

Posting to watch the thread.

Saving up for the 360...

Music 03-03-07 02:50 PM

FYI.

You can use the thread tools and subscribe to any thread without having posted to it.

lordwow 03-03-07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
FYI.

You can use the thread tools and subscribe to any thread without having posted to it.

Good point :)

kurupt 03-04-07 05:30 AM

I got my 360 last April, and yesterday it started to freeze up. First in NCAA Football, then in Gears, and finally in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. When I called Microsoft (even though it's within the year, I bought the extended warranty) I was told to call back in 24 hours because they were "updating their system" and couldn't take service requests. I then tried to troubleshoot the system as per the instructions on the website. I took off the hdd and started to play Ultimate Alliance again and again it locked up. When I turned the machine back on to eject the game, I got the "red rings." I'm glad MS has taken steps to alleviate the problem, that shows good customer service, but now of my group of friends that got a 360 fairly early in its lifespan (almost 10 people), all have had to get at least one replacement from MS.

Giantrobo 03-04-07 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by kurupt
I got my 360 last April, and yesterday it started to freeze up. First in NCAA Football, then in Gears, and finally in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. When I called Microsoft (even though it's within the year, I bought the extended warranty) I was told to call back in 24 hours because they were "updating their system" and couldn't take service requests. I then tried to troubleshoot the system as per the instructions on the website. I took off the hdd and started to play Ultimate Alliance again and again it locked up. When I turned the machine back on to eject the game, I got the "red rings." I'm glad MS has taken steps to alleviate the problem, that shows good customer service, but now of my group of friends that got a 360 fairly early in its lifespan (almost 10 people), all have had to get at least one replacement from MS.

Shit I also got mine last April. I've also been playing it a lot lately and worried about the 3 rings....

Michael Corvin 03-04-07 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by kurupt
my group of friends that got a 360 fairly early in its lifespan (almost 10 people), all have had to get at least one replacement from MS.

I bet the defective percentage is a LOT higher than people think.

kurupt 03-04-07 09:01 AM

I don't think it's worth worrying about because they have stepped up their warranty. It's really an inconvenience, though.

taffer 03-04-07 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I bet the defective percentage is a LOT higher than people think.

Yeah I think so too. The original "thick" PS2 was notorious for disc read errors, and so far, I think the 360's red ring of death is even more widespread. I wonder if eventually there will be a lawsuit against MS like the PS2 lawsuit.

Michael Corvin 03-04-07 09:18 AM

If it was a small percentage, say, under 10% they would just come out and say it. Those numbers are highly guarded though.

Guy Gadbois 03-04-07 09:51 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky few. I got my 360 at one of those midnight launches, and I've never had a problem with it. Of course, now that I have said that, it will probably burst into flames the next time I turn it on.

RichC2 03-04-07 11:00 AM

Heh, the warranty was incredibly worthwhile.

argh923 03-04-07 12:21 PM

For those who have played it, how's Phantasy Star Universe? Is it worth playing if you have no intention to take it online? Not interested in a subscription based MMORPG, but I thought I'd give the single-player a run.

discostu1337 03-04-07 12:37 PM

I have a launch 360...never had a problem. No discs scratched, no over heating. I've even hit it with controllers in a fit of rage in the past :)

I probably shouldnt have said that though, now I'll go turn it on and have the red lights...

lotsofdvds 03-04-07 06:44 PM

From Wired:

Tune in to the adventures of Butters every week? Wait until you see him in HD.

Wired News has learned that on Tuesday, March 6, Microsoft and Viacom will release the first-ever high-definition episode of the Comedy Central series South Park exclusively on Xbox Live Marketplace.

For the first two weeks of availability, all Xbox Live members will be able to download the episode, titled "Good Times With Weapons," for free.

Additionally, from March 20 through April 3, Best Buy will offer free HD-DVD discs featuring the episode with any purchase of an Xbox 360 console, or the HD-DVD add-on player.

South Park's eleventh season begins Wednesday at 10 PM on Comedy Central; new episodes will appear on Xbox Live Marketplace the following week.

fumanstan 03-04-07 07:21 PM

Cool, free episode!

Although I don't get the free HD-DVD disc with the 360 console, since it's useless for most without the HD-DVD add on.

Brooklyn 03-04-07 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
For those who have played it, how's Phantasy Star Universe? Is it worth playing if you have no intention to take it online? Not interested in a subscription based MMORPG, but I thought I'd give the single-player a run.

It's awful.

argh923 03-05-07 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
It's awful.

Any particular reasons?

Brooklyn 03-05-07 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Any particular reasons?

Here's a thread where I list several.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=480962

DJ_Longfellow 03-05-07 06:55 AM

Glad the episode is free for a while....I just watched the Free Sarah Silverman Show episode....nto sure how I felt, bad, but funny, but annoying.

Flay 03-05-07 08:30 AM

http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9595_22-6164183.html

Microsoft on Monday announced plans to offer a 512-megabyte memory unit for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. It also plans to increase the official size limit of Xbox Live Arcade games from 50MB to 150MB. Microsoft plans to sell the 512MB Memory Unit, available worldwide beginning April 3, for $49.99 in North America.

The unit will come preloaded with the Xbox Live Arcade game "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved," from developer Bizarre Creations, for a limited time, Microsoft said. The original 64MB Memory Unit will simultaneously drop in price from $39.99 to $29.99.
Hurrah!

jonw9 03-05-07 09:29 AM

What about a bigger HD?

tbird2340 03-05-07 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Advice - Buy one.
If you get the rings, call the 800 number and get a new one

:lol: :up:

KurrptSenate 03-06-07 07:50 AM

played a bit more Lumines and was extremely surprised when I finished with 260,000.