Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mixed dates for Wii Play

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
You should have read this thread first.

Pretty much every review and everyone I've seen talk about Wii Play has said: It's worth $10-15, -- buy it for the remote.
I read the entire thread but you see I had 51 bucks worth of store credit that was burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a new game and Wii Play was about the only thing that caught my eye.

I wished I just have saved it for the new Sonic game coming out for the Wii in a few weeks.
Old 02-16-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I read the entire thread but you see I had 51 bucks worth of store credit that was burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a new game and Wii Play was about the only thing that caught my eye.

I wished I just have saved it for the new Sonic game coming out for the Wii in a few weeks.
That does look fun and some early reviews look promising. I'm not sure if I'll pay $50 for it yet though. I'll probably rent first.
Old 02-17-07, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have read this thread first.

Pretty much every review and everyone I've seen talk about Wii Play has said: It's worth $10-15, -- buy it for the remote.
I would push that to 15-20 (I like it better than wii sports after all), but thats strictly for 2 players and up. Guys who play with their wii by themselves should avoid.
Old 02-17-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I would push that to 15-20 (I like it better than wii sports after all), but thats strictly for 2 players and up. Guys who play with their wii by themselves should avoid.
Unfortunately, the game only supports 2 players.
Old 02-17-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We just took turns between drinks. Worked well .
Old 02-17-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wii Play is in stock at Circuit City.com

I'm surprised you like Play better than Sports. Pool, Tanks, and probably Laser Hockey are the only games I can see having any lasting appeal. At least for me... these are games I tend to play.. and I tend to play them solo.
Old 02-17-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
OOS already.

I like parts of both Play and Sports. I could go for one disk with bowling, tennis, pool, laser hockey, and maybe the shooting gallery, find-a-mii, and fishing for some multiplayer, of course, I still don't know if it would be worth full price.
Old 02-17-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wii Play is in stock at Circuit City.com

I'm surprised you like Play better than Sports. Pool, Tanks, and probably Laser Hockey are the only games I can see having any lasting appeal. At least for me... these are games I tend to play.. and I tend to play them solo.
It's more a dislike of wii sports. I really don't get the extreme love it seems to get everywhere. Tennis is a sad sad abortion of the real sport. Bowling you have to annoyingly adjust your position and angle every single bowl which really takes you out of the sport. I also get this weird ass spin to either L/R, quite unlike my bowling in RL. The baseball game gives me almost no depth perception making it often impossible to hit the pitch. Golf I didnt try much. Boxing is probably my favourite, but the controls are kind of unreliable.

In Wii Play, I loved laser hockey, pool, and fishing. Other friends loved the tank game (most reviews as well it seemed), I didn't think so much of it.
Old 02-17-07, 10:40 PM

After reading many of the posts here pretty much bashing Wii Play, I was very impressed with the game after playing it. I needed another remote anyway so this game was easily worth $10. But probably not worth $50 as a stand alone game though.

The shooting (Duck Hunt '07) game is great. Also like Laser Hockey, Billiards and the Tanks.

Find Mii is also very cool since I can get far (or so I thought) as I've gotten so many recognizable Miis from the Parade and others here on DVDtalk. I made it to level 38 last night, but only got a Bronze?? wow. thought I was in gold territory while playing...

Even the fishing game isn't as horrible as many of you made it out to me, sure it's a little lame, but it's still somewhat of a challenge to get the higher medals.

Still love Wii Sports more (would have probably paid $50 for that if it was a standalone) but Wii Play is at least 1/3 to 1/2 as good.
Old 02-18-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by illini420
After reading many of the posts here pretty much bashing Wii Play, I was very impressed with the game after playing it. I needed another remote anyway so this game was easily worth $10. But probably not worth $50 as a stand alone game though.

The shooting (Duck Hunt '07) game is great. Also like Laser Hockey, Billiards and the Tanks.

Find Mii is also very cool since I can get far (or so I thought) as I've gotten so many recognizable Miis from the Parade and others here on DVDtalk. I made it to level 38 last night, but only got a Bronze?? wow. thought I was in gold territory while playing...

Even the fishing game isn't as horrible as many of you made it out to me, sure it's a little lame, but it's still somewhat of a challenge to get the higher medals.

Still love Wii Sports more (would have probably paid $50 for that if it was a standalone) but Wii Play is at least 1/3 to 1/2 as good.
I actually agree. I think Wii Play is totally worth it if you need another remote (I did). And even if remotes were more readily available, I think Wii Play is totally worth the $10.
Old 02-18-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this at Toys R Us today and picked it up. Pretty much like it when I played through it briefly. And I also find I suck at laser hockey as much as I do actual air hockey.
Old 02-19-07, 02:00 PM

Wii Play is back in stock at circuitcity.com for anyone still looking for a copy. Free shipping. Just placed my order.
Old 02-19-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure I get the complaints about this game. I love the shooting gallery, billiards, ping pong, and tanks and I think the four of them are easily worth the price of admission. Laser hockey is pretty fun on two player, and pose mii is a nice diversion. The rest are awful but are easily ignored.

Played two player with my boy for a few hours and had a blast. The only disappointment was the two player tanks not being a more head to head affair. The shooting gallery was his favorite. He struggled with the controls a bit in billiards and laser hockey.
Old 02-19-07, 11:10 PM
Retired

Well, for professional reviews you have to realize the hold all games to the same standards (and rightly so IMO) so if a full fledged game like Zelda is a 10 then something like this can't warrant all that high of review scores especially when half of the games are by your own admission awful.

As for opinions, its just different strokes for different folks. Some people love quick, simple pick up and play mini games, others don't and just want to play more involved games.
Old 02-20-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been seeing this at ebGames and Gamestop for $19.99 used. Seems like people are trading it in already.
Old 02-20-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I have a feel we'll be seeing used copies of this for sale real soon.
*ahem*

Though for $20, you'd have to be insane to buy it without the remote.
Old 02-20-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Well, for professional reviews you have to realize the hold all games to the same standards (and rightly so IMO) so if a full fledged game like Zelda is a 10 then something like this can't warrant all that high of review scores especially when half of the games are by your own admission awful.

As for opinions, its just different strokes for different folks. Some people love quick, simple pick up and play mini games, others don't and just want to play more involved games.
More people enjoy 'pick and play' games than one would think, especially in the 'nongamer' demographic that Nintendo is going for. Something like 50% of online games played are things on Pogo or Yahoo games or the like, and they're played by "nongamers".
Old 02-20-07, 08:41 AM
Retired

Oh I agree, I was just point that out as it explains a lot of the negative buzz on the boards as for the most part people posting about games online are more hardcore gamers and less of them/us are interested in pick up and play games.

I like some pick up and play games, just not stuff as simple as the games in Wiiplay.
Old 02-20-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose...but I really think that a few of these games are brilliantly executed. If they expanded that billiards engine to a full fledged game with several different modes, I'd pay $50 for it today. I think it's that good.

I hate minigames (Wario Ware), but I love Wii Sports and Wii Play. I believe they are something different and something uniquely suited for the Wiimote...which in and of itself makes them worth the price of admission, particularly when the price of admission is free and $10 respectively.
Old 02-20-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I hate minigames (Wario Ware), but I love Wii Sports and Wii Play. I believe they are something different and something uniquely suited for the Wiimote...which in and of itself makes them worth the price of admission, particularly when the price of admission is free and $10 respectively.
I can't believe how much I love Wii Sports. Even if you want to say it costs $50 since the console is more expensive in the US it is well worth $50.

I'm also quite a fan of Wii Play. It helps that I needed the extra remote so it was only a $10 game for me. However, I see this as one I go back to many times for quick sessions of pool, tanks, shooting or laser hockey.
Old 02-20-07, 08:50 AM
Retired

Wiisports is worth free for sure, even though I've played it once since december (had some non-gamer friends over this weekend).

Wiiplay would be worth free as well, but not the $10 to me since I wouldn't play it solo and don't do multiplayer very often and usually with real sports games, guitar hero or FPS games when I do.

A lot of the games in Wiiplay don't really appeal to me anyway, as I'd rather just go play real pool or air hockey rather than a video game version.
Old 02-20-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot of the games in Wiiplay don't really appeal to me anyway, as I'd rather just go play real pool or air hockey rather than a video game version.
I'd say the same about wii sports except for boxing. I have no urge to box for real, ever.

As for the laser hockey, the some what imprecise handling in the game resulted in some hilarious mishaps and own goals, quite reminiscent of my own air hockey experiences. Also, fully down with the billiards opinion earlier. This is probably the one wii game, which fully for me feels like the real thing. Absolutely, it could be a fully fleshed out game, with a full set of modes included. Some of the spastic flailing or wristy swats you do in the other wii games doesn't bring me any closer to the sport, but wii play billiards actually succeeds in this.
Old 02-20-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was utterly impressed with the pool.

I completely suck at hitting in a straight line, but the geometry always came easy to me.

I got a 60 w/ a platinum medal a few days ago (3 balls on break, no scratches)
Old 02-20-07, 11:22 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I'd say the same about wii sports except for boxing. I have no urge to box for real, ever.
Totally true. And a big reason why Wiisports doesn't get touched unless I have people over that want to try it out.