Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Now Playing and Recently Finished Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've started playing Ratchet & Clank. I'm trying to run the gamut of Sony's PS2 mascot platformers with Jak 1-3, Sly 1-3, and R&C 1-4. So far I've finished Jak & Daxter and Sly 1-3.
Old 05-12-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished Gears of War on Hardcore, now trying Insane.
Old 05-12-07, 11:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trimmed some of the old finished, and updated a bit.

Now Playing

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)- put in 2 1/2 hours or so tonight, beat the first 5 colossi. Digging it so far, though it does make me wish it was a full fledged zelda type game rather than just ride around straight to bosses. But still a ton of fun. Only gripe other wise is the camera sucks at time and the controls could be tighter and the button mapping more sensible (x to call the horse and triangle to jump? -hscratch-).

Club House Games (DS)- Finished stamp mode on easy to unlock all the games. Still playing it pretty often in bed at nights though, mainly rummy, solitaire and mahjong solitaire

Super Castlevania IV (Wii VC)- just play occasionally, not a big fan.

Recently Finished

Resident Evil 4 (GC)- played for several hours tonight and finished it. Final save was 22 hours 12 minutes, and I pathetically died 95 times. I enjoyed the game, but not as much as some. I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of ten. Not sure if I'll bother with Assignment Ada or Mercenaries mode or not.

Elite Beat Agents (DS)- beat it on easy, played a little past half way through medium. Just can't get into it, and have no qualms saying this game sucks...IMHO of course.

Big Brain Academy (DS)-got old pretty fast. Got gold medals in practice on every game on easy and normal, and up to a B on the test. Let my girl have it as she likes it a lot more than I do.

Super Mario World (Wii VC)- just as much fun as it was the other gazillion times I've played through it. Finished with all 96 exits

On Deck

Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii VC)

Super Paper Mario (Wii)- looks to be my first Wii game purchase since Zelda at launch! But holding off until I have more time and at least finish RE4. Probably not until July at the earliest.

Stack of PC games my friend lent me-Half Life 2, Quake IV, some RPGs (Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2, Torment), Civilization IV
Old 05-13-07, 10:22 AM

Currently playing and almost completed F.EA.R. (PS3)
Old 05-16-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I beat Ratchet & Clank today. Before continuing my Sony Mascot marathon, I think I'm going to get some Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories in, and also try to finish up Sam & Max Season 1. I finished Episode 4 today, and started on Episode 5.
Old 05-17-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
Just finished Call of Duty 2 (360). I was in the middle of Rainbox Six:LV when I picked it up and couldn't put it down. Well worth it.

So it's back to Rainbow Six and to fill that fighting void I'm playing Unreal Championship:Liandri (XBox) for a quick rush.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 05-17-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just Finished
Phoenix Wright - And Justice for All (DS) - By the end, the Phoenix Wright formula was wearing thin. I enjoyed it some, but I'm not anxious for the next one, they need to update it for the DS.

Saint's Row (360) This game had some love hate moments. Little things like the brilliant waypoint system just make the game that much better, but some of the missions require you to drive across half the map just to get to your destination, then if anything goes wrong you have to start over, mission chekcpoints would have been nice. Also I ran into some freezing glitches.

Armed and Dangerous (PC) - Beat it, okay for mindless fun but nothing special

Perfect Dark Zero (360) - One of the most overrated games I have ever played, this was just awful to play through. I found it more difficult than I expected, but part of the reason was the game AI. One mission near the end had me rescue some guys then escape with them, twice a guy decided to run in my line of fire, and when he got hit it was automatic mission over.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent (360) - The premise was good but the trust meter doesn't really execute the intention IMO. Also spending three or more missions in the same location was kind of a let down. It was fun enough for a splinter cell game.

Currently Playing

Far Cry Instincts Predator (360) - First few levels were nothing special, but I just got the first of the "powers", hopefully the game gets better. I can tell it will be nothing like the amazing PC game.

Project Gotham Racing 3 (360) - This hasn't done much for me, it is also starting to feel overrated in my book. Maybe it just isn't the type of racer for me, but it feels somewhat bland to be doing cone challenges instead of the nerve-racking races in Burnout Revenge.

Kind of Playing
Call of Cthulhu (PC) - I just need to get back to this one.
Old 05-18-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Playing Jak II now. The city part is really annoying, it kind of makes me not even want to play it, but I'm already 38% through the game in a day, so I think I'll be able to get through it.
Old 05-18-07, 07:26 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Perfect Dark Zero (360) - One of the most overrated games I have ever played...
Overrated? It got shitty to mediocre reviews and terrible word of mouth. It was overhyped before it came out for sure, but not overrated once it hit.
Old 05-18-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Yep. Way overhyped before release, but once the day of release hit everyone realized PD0 was a POS. I let my friends talk me into that one on the day of launch. Fuckers. I played about three levels and dumped it on ebay. Hopefully we will get that feature that allows removal of games from your profile. This will be the fist to go.
Old 05-18-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when I called up Microsoft Support, while waiting around for something to process, the guy decided to make small talk:

CS: So, what genre of games do you enjoy?
Me: Uhh... FPS.
CS: Like Perfect Dark Zero?
Me: No, not at all.
Old 05-19-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Overrated? It got shitty to mediocre reviews and terrible word of mouth. It was overhyped before it came out for sure, but not overrated once it hit.
It has an 81% at gamerankings, not amazing but even 81% is a pretty good score and definitely overrated for the game. Either way I wouldn't say the reviews were shitty to mediocre. Word of mouth is bad, I will agree with you on that, but I would saying the ratings were too high, it got a 90% at gamespot, thus I call it overrated.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516508.asp
Old 05-19-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Playing (kickin' it old school):

Yoshi's Island on SNES
Gradius 3 on SNES
Old 05-19-07, 11:13 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by msdmoney
It has an 81% at gamerankings, not amazing but even 81% is a pretty good score and definitely overrated for the game. Either way I wouldn't say the reviews were shitty to mediocre. Word of mouth is bad, I will agree with you on that, but I would saying the ratings were too high, it got a 90% at gamespot, thus I call it overrated.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516508.asp
Yeah, online rankings always tend to be high it seems. Amazed it got a 90% from Gamespot though as they tend to be tough.

I was thinking it was mostly in the 7.5 and below range in the places I read (EGM, 1up etc).
Old 05-19-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, online rankings always tend to be high it seems. Amazed it got a 90% from Gamespot though as they tend to be tough.

I was thinking it was mostly in the 7.5 and below range in the places I read (EGM, 1up etc).
There were people that gave Doom 3 10s when it was released on the PC and that game is garbage. I think some of the early reviewers got caught in the PD0 hype as well.
Old 05-20-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I beat Jak II today, and started on Jak 3. I'm already 32% complete. After I finish it, I'm starting Ratchet & Clank Going Commando.
Old 05-20-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished Full Auto with 810 points for all the achievements I could possibly get (I suck at online and I'll never get all the Full Auto awards in Career mode).
Old 05-21-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Currently Playing:
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360)
Super Ghouls & Ghosts (SNES.....and still hard as all hell)
Old 05-21-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Playing (kickin' it old school):

Yoshi's Island on SNES
Gradius 3 on SNES
Love Gradius 3.
Old 05-22-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beat Jak 3 today, and started playing Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. I completed the first four worlds this afternoon. My marathon is getting close to it's conclusion now, I only have this game and Up Your Arsenal to go. I'm debating on whether to play R&C: Deadlocked and Jak X or not.
Old 05-26-07, 10:30 PM
Retired

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League (DS)- Picked this up Tuesday, have only had time to play for an hour or so. Loving it so far, tons of modes.

Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii VC)-Played through the first temple in the dark world so far

Club House Games (DS)- Finished stamp mode on easy to unlock all the games. Still playing it pretty often in bed at nights though, mainly rummy, solitaire and mahjong solitaire

Guitar Hero 1 & 2- very casually playing this. Dicking around a bit with five starring medium. Fired up Hard on GHI, beat the first song, got my ass kicked on the second.

Recently Finished

Resident Evil 4 (GC)- played for several hours tonight and finished it. Final save was 22 hours 12 minutes, and I pathetically died 95 times. I enjoyed the game, but not as much as some. I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of ten. Not sure if I'll bother with Assignment Ada or Mercenaries mode or not.

Elite Beat Agents (DS)- beat it on easy, played a little past half way through medium. Just can't get into it, and have no qualms saying this game sucks...IMHO of course.

Big Brain Academy (DS)-got old pretty fast. Got gold medals in practice on every game on easy and normal, and up to a B on the test. Let my girl have it as she likes it a lot more than I do.

Super Mario World (Wii VC)- just as much fun as it was the other gazillion times I've played through it. Finished with all 96 exits

Shelved for good

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)- Was ok at first, but got old fast. Beat the first 7, and just had no desire to keep playing. Too tedious riding around looking for the next one, with the world being barren and empty and the bosses were often fairly obtuse in that it was damn tough on the last few to figure out what to do without a trip to gamefaqs. Just seemed lame to me, no story, no characters, just ride around in an empty world to find the next boss--like Zelda with no story, NPC interaction, dungeons etc. Just emptiness and bosses. Not my cup of tea I guess as it's endless wandering and bosses--two of my least favorite things in gaming.

Super Castlevania IV (Wii VC)- never really liked any of the series aside from the metroidvania series, and this may be the worst of that bunch I've played. Boring level design, sloppy controls leading to a lot of cheap jumping deaths (I get hit and thus I can fall through stairs I just walked on to my death--WTF?). Lame.

On Deck

Super Paper Mario (Wii)- will likely buy this after I finish my Ph D comp exam on June 30th.

Stack of PC games my friend lent me-Half Life 2, Quake IV, some RPGs (Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2, Torment), Civilization IV

Last edited by Josh H; 06-07-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando today, and started on Up Your Arsenal. I also started playing Chulip which is a weird little Japanese adventure game where your goal is to kiss as many people as you can in order to boost your reputation around town, with your ultimate goal of finally being able to plant a big ol' smooch on your sweetheart, who initally is repulsed by you because of the fact that you're poor. Ah, love.
Old 05-29-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beat Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal today. Now that I've finished my little marathon (Jak 1-3, Sly 1-3, and R&C 1-3) it's time to find another gaming project to work on.
Old 05-30-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Currently playing Crackdown, hoping to finish this in the next couple of weeks or so.

Recently finished the following:

Gears of War (on Normal, Hardcore and Insane)

Earth Defense Force 2017 (on Easy, Normal and Hard) - Hardest and Inferno are out of the question unless I can farm more weapons and co-op

Scurge: Hive (DS), fun little isometric Metroid like platformer.
Old 05-30-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just beat

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360)

Now Playing

FFXII (PS3....thanks to the new update)

Just Quit

Super Paper Mario (Wii)....it was just too boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.