Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Now Playing and Recently Finished Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Just finished Gears of War...and wow, what a short game with an underwhelming ending (reminded me of Halo 2). Sure it's great looking and featured an innovative control (cover), but that was way too short (Max Payne short!) to feel I got $60 worth of gameplay (and yes, I have played it online).

I recently started RE4 Wii...and wow, what a difference Wii controls make!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 07-01-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on the last mission or two in Manhunt. I found the game easy, but extremely addictive and fun. I'll definitely be getting the second one when that hits.

I just started playing Touch Master for the DS. Fantastic, addictive gameplay! I haven't shown this game to one person who wasn't instantly hooked, including myself. The ability to post scores online will definitely have me playing this for a great while
Old 07-02-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently finished all of the modes on Tomb Raider: Legends for Xbox 360. I got my $20 out of this game.

It will probably be a week or so before I start anything else due to the holiday.
Old 07-20-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just beat Final Fantasy XII on ps2. The battle system and liscense board are great. But the story was just straight up awful. Zero character development. And was it just me or is Balthier the main character of the story (he constantly moves the narrative forward). Ending time was 57 H 33 M 12 S.
Old 07-20-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Just finished Gears of War...and wow, what a short game with an underwhelming ending (reminded me of Halo 2). Sure it's great looking and featured an innovative control (cover), but that was way too short (Max Payne short!) to feel I got $60 worth of gameplay (and yes, I have played it online).
What difficulty did you play on? IMO, co-op Insane is a whole new game, and there is no way you are beating it in less than 10 or 12 hours.
Old 08-20-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Haven't updated in awhile:

Now Playing
Lunar Knights (DS) - I started and stopped on this one several times, but I'm going to play through it now and I'm a little over half way. Not a great game though. Awesome presentation, but the gameplay is definitely lacking.
Disgaea (PS2) - I really love this game. I have chipped away at it for a few months now and will probably finish it up soon. Love the humor and I'm always ready for a good strategy RPG.
New York Times Crosswords (DS) - Really nice presentation, but god damn these are hard. I spend most of my time looking up answers on the internet. I may not be smart enough to play this one for long.

Recently Finished
Paper Mario (Wii-VC) - Even better than I remember. After playing Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario I had forgotten just how superior the original was. One of the best titles on the VC.
F-Zero X (Wii-VC) - Much worse than I remember. I loved this game on the N64 and beat and unlocked everything. I have yet to have any fun with it on the VC. Maybe it is because the controls feel off and maybe its just because I am older and have played better games since this came out. Wish the VC had a return policy.
Picross DS (DS) - You can't spend a better $20 than on this game. Puzzle masterpiece.
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Uncut (PC) - I know, I know. The gameplay is terrible, but the game itself is hilarious. I never expected to play it more than 5 minutes and I ended up finishing it. I just wish they could have combined the humor with some decent gameplay instead of the boring DDR type puzzles. Quarters was a blast though.

On Deck
I have a stack of games I need to play, but will probably start with these.
Disgaea 2 (PS2)
Super Metroid (Wii VC)
God of War II (PS2) still haven't started this or FFXII
Old 08-20-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recently Finished

All on 360

Rainbow Six Vegas (Normal, Realistic) - one of the best FPS I have ever played. Realistic is actually easier once I had gone thru the game once on normal.

Prey (normal) - Not a bad FPS with some cool puzzles playing with the gravity belt, etc.

Eragon (normal, hard) - Not as bad as I thought, it is on par with the movie based beatem ups like LOTR. The dragon flying stages were fun.

Fight Night Round 3 - Great game, easy achievements

Condemned - This game if freaky. Scared me a few times too.

Superman Returns - Just finished last night, thank god the game was short.
Old 08-20-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Recently started:

Resident Evil 4- Wii (still getting used to the Wii controls so this may take a while )
Teen Titans- gamecube (Fun game!!! Plus, it's DCU so that's all good.)
Justice League Heroes-XBOX (Fun game and again, it's DCU.)
Tomb Raider Legend- 360
TMNT- 360

Games on a "Long Term playing schedule":

Star Trek Legacy-360 (I only play this a little at a time)
Superman Returns -360

Games I played a bit, but haven't officially "Dug into them":

Condemned-360 (I'm scared )
The Outfit-360
Resident Evil Zero-Gamecube
Old 08-20-07, 09:50 AM

Recently Finished (or no desire to play again)

Mario Strikers (Wii) - Easily the most frustrating game I can remember playing in years. I pride myself on keeping my "cool", but this game actually led me to toss the controller on more than one occasion. Can't be a good thing

Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - Breezed through the main story and one of the side quests. I have too much on my plate now, so I'll wind up selling it to my brother for 25

Now Playing :

Oblivion (360) - only about 45 hours into the game with a few hundred more to go.

Shadowrun (360) - Absolutely love the fun factor of this game. Makes me not want Halo 3 in the least
Old 08-20-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
August
Recently Finished:
Bomberman: Live - brilliant incarnation. One of the best.
Planet Puzzle League - solid, but would be better MP
Super Puzzle Fighter(GBA) - picked this up to warm up for the XBLA release.
Geometry Wars - very fun. One I never got into or bought until this month.
Track and Field - hard. Damn this one is frustrating, but still fun.
Madden '06 - it's Madden
Madden '07 - it's Madden
Fight Night - surprisingly fun. Liked it quite a bit.
NBA Street - Really surprised at this one. It was a blast. Blocking/goal tending is the only major thing holding it back from greatness.
TMNT - fun little Prince of Persia knock off with touches of the original Ninja Gaiden.

Now Playing:

Bioshock - not too far, but excellent thus far.
Lost Planet - great game, it seems to be my filler game though. Pop it in for a level or two before the next big game comes along. Just two levels left.
Castlevania(GBA) - I don't recall this game ever being hard, but it is kicking my ass.
Pokemon Pearl - my first foray into the Pokemon world. Very fun and addictive.

On Deck:

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Klonoa 2
Mark of Kri
Jak & Daxter
Old 08-20-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
August:
Recently finished
1080 Snowboarding (N64) - Obviously graphically it doesn't hold up. Gameplay-wise, I still enjoy it. It needs at least twice as many courses, though. Snowboard selection is really weak (excluding the hidden boards). Due to the huge stat imbalance, there is no reason to choose any board other than the Tahoe 155. B-

Kirby Squeak Squad (DS) - Pretty much everything in this game is recycled from old Kirby games. None of the music, level design, bad guys (other than bosses), or special items were new. It felt really tired to me, but since it was maybe three hours long, it was over quick. D+

Phoenix Wright: Justice For All (DS) - More of the same. "Psyche locks" were just more ways of presenting evidence to make people change their story, like you would to someone on the witness stand. I think that worked pretty well. By the midpoint of the game, I was sick of the basic gameplay, despite only having played one other PW game. It took me about six months to get through this one, because I lost the desire to play it. I'll probably play the next PW games, but I'll give myself two plus years off, I think. C+

LEGO Star Wars II (XBox) - The concept of Legos in the Star Wars universe still works well. The humor is there, but perhaps not as effective the second time around. The game is pretty buggy, including bugs that made me completely restart two levels. I had no desire to go back and get all the minikit pieces or get 100% of studs on every level this time around. C

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (GC) - Fun concept, due to the bongos. Without the bongos, it would probably have been mediocre at best though. Fairly short, but probably just the right length to keep me from tiring of it. Way too little variety in the bosses. There were probably only about four basic concepts for bosses, with the rest being rehashes of those four. B-

Now playing:
Mario Party 8 (Wii) - My wife likes this game a lot, so it is something we both can enjoy. It would be better with four players, but it still works well with the two of us plus two computer players.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (XBox) - I'm sick of Splinter Cell games, and maybe all stealth games in general, but I want to finally finish this and knock it off of my To Do list.

Guitar Hero II (XBox 360) - If I get my 360 soon, like planned, I'll be playing this a lot.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (XBox 360) - Ditto.

On Deck:
Trauma Center: Under the Knife (DS)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Random now-cheap titles (XBox 360)
Old 08-20-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't finish many games these days, but I got a few DS games under the belt with all the train traveling I was doing during the summer holidays.

Hotel Dusk - Just one annoying little bit towards the end. Once I got past it, no more problems. The only time I really got stuck in the game.

Puzzle Quest - What a total grindfest.. Surprised I bothered to finish it, because it got supremely dull in the last two thirds. Greatly overrated. Apart from that, I was surprised after hearing how super hard the final boss is supposed to be (on several different podcasts), he fell over first go in only a few rounds. Oh well, whatever.

Lunar Knights - Awesome awesome game. Every ds owner should do themselves a favour and pick this up. I actually have kept playing it since, and have almost completed the game again in Hard (playing another 12 hours and also covering several things I missed the first time through). Also, the New Game mode that you unlock after completing it once opens up this ball busting tower er dungeon, that you have to climb through to level 100. On each level of the tower the enemies are the same level as that level number, so they get steadily tougher, and the types are mixed up too.
Old 08-20-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recently Finished:

Doom 3 - PC version. I just got a new video card the other day I thought I'd give this game another chance. I used the flashlight hack which helped alot. Great looking game. This is the second time I've played through it. It was much easier this time around.

Currently Playing:

Guitar Hero II - 360 version

On Deck:

Bioshock - 360 version
Old 08-20-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just Finished
Project Gotham Racing 3 (360) - I don't think I will play any more of these, this game is somewhere in between the Arcade racing Burnout and the sim Gran Turismo, but IMO it misses out on the fun aspects of either. In Burnout I am avoiding insane crashes at 200mph, in PGR3 I am avoiding cones, the racing and challenges got old really fast.

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (360) - I wanted to like this more than I did, I found the graphics stunning, but the gameplay was just okay. I think it is worth playing through once, but no desire to play through again.

Company of Heroes (PC) - Amazing game, from the graphics and production values to the gameplay. I really liked the squad based controls, and you could really use the environment, especially buildings to your advantage. It really deserves all the praise it gets.

Prince of Persia Classic (XBLA) - I liked this game even though it can be unforgiving and frustrating. It's short, can easily be beat on one playthrough, but not a bad thing IMO.

Darkwatch (XBOX) - Mediocre FPS, didn't really do much for me. It's short and only good for a mindless shooter.

Currently Playing

Zelda Twilight Princess (Wii) - Nearing the end, I'm on the Twilight dungeon. It's everyhing I expect from a Zelda game, and really long.

Lunar Knights (DS) - I'm on the fifth act, I expected better after hearing rumblings about this being somewhat of an underappreciated game. I think I don't really enjoy the elemental stuff.

Donkey Kong Country (GBA) - Not as good as I remember, but still a strangely addicting platformer.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night (XBLA) - On the inverted castle, I can't get enough of the Metroidvanias.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2) - About 4 hours in, nothing to amazing so far, and still too many cutscenes but that was to be expected.

Dead Rising (360) - I plan on playing through a couple times, since as I have been told I won't be able to make it through everything the first time. So far I'm still in the beginning (just had the shootout in the food court), and still enjoying just taking out Zombies.

Kind of Playing
Call of Cthulhu (PC) - I just need to get back to this one.

Grand Theft Auto III - Every once in a while I jump in and play a few missions.

On Deck
Hotel Dusk (DS)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
Bioshock (PC)
Too many other games
Old 08-20-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
Playing:
Condemned: Picked it up used for $16, getting close to the end, still a hugely enjoyable game, despite its short length and repetitive levels.

Rainbow Six:Vegas: Recently started single player and am getting my ass handed to me in the Lucky Buddah .

Kameo: Recently started and enjoying so far, but also have some frustrations that have prevented me from getting further. Swimming sucked in Conker and suckers harder here. STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER, RARE!! Very nice graphics.

On perma-pause:
Oblivion - Just isn't doing it for me.
Dead Rising - See above.

Soon:
BioShock (360 - Tomorrow, woo and hoo)

I've been playing a lot of Super Puzzle Fighter lately...
Old 08-20-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 751 Posts
Currently Playing:

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Gotta finish this before starting Bioshock
Heroes of Mana - Only a few hours in. Not bad so far, but not great either
Rune Factory - Just started. If it's anything like previous Harvest Moon games I'm sure I'll love it
NCAA Football 08 - Finishing up my first dynasty year. Getting ready to do some heavy recruiting
Old 08-22-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dead Rising is "on pause" for me too. Last year I got to the foodcourt shootout, got killed, and I haven't played since.

Just finished: TMNT on 360
Old 08-22-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Playing:
Condemned: Picked it up used for $16, getting close to the end, still a hugely enjoyable game, despite its short length and repetitive levels.

Kameo: Recently started and enjoying so far, but also have some frustrations that have prevented me from getting further. Swimming sucked in Conker and suckers harder here. STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER, RARE!! Very nice graphics.
Condemned: A office building, a school, an apple orchard and an abandoned house. How is that redundant?

Kameo: Lay off the right analog. It helps with navigating in the water.
Old 08-22-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Condemned was good, very freaky. I did the all melee achievement and that made it more fun too.
Old 08-23-07, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Condemned: A office building, a school, an apple orchard and an abandoned house. How is that redundant?
I agree. Condemned may have repetitive gameplay whacking the same guys with the same melee weapons over and over, but the levels themselves are far from repetitive. Each level takes place in a completely different environment. In addition to the levels MC listed, there are also a department store and library. Condemned is great at making seemingly innocent locations scary as hell.

If you want a game with repetitive levels made by the same developer... play FEAR. There are exactly two level types in that game, office buildings and warehouses.
Old 08-23-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally turn away from the allure of the 360 to get back to Odin Sphere (aka Best PS2 Game Ever) last night. It took me a bit to get back into it since I was near the end, so I just replayed an earlier level to get back in the groove. If I can finish that up by Friday night I'll probably try to tackle Tomb Raider Legend on the 360 over the weekend or if I don't want to attempt to beat that in a two day stretch, I'll just casually play some Ridge Racer 6.
Old 08-23-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts
Started back up on Shadow of the Colossus last night, I had quit playing after beating the first 10 Colossi. I love the game and all but man the camera system is extremely annoying. But I really want to see the ending to this one.
Old 08-27-07, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just Finished:

Justice League Heroes...XBOX. Now I'm replaying with powered up heroes
TMNT...360
Old 08-27-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Just Finished:

Justice League Heroes...XBOX. Now I'm replaying with powered up heroes
TMNT...360
How is TMNT 360? I am thinking of getting it.
Old 08-27-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

TMNT is a rental.

It's a fun little game that wears its inspiration on its sleeve... Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Which isn't a bad thing. There is no camera control, but they seemed to have made it work without.

If you are looking at just achievements, it is a 5 hour game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.