Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone wants to play WARZONE tonight?

My GT is ArpeggiBMW and I'll be on around 8 pm pacific.
Old 01-29-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ill be on later. I normally play execution, though
Old 01-29-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any way to pull up how many kills you have with each weapon in ranked play? I know I'm nowhere near 100 with any of them, but I'd like to at least be able to track my stats and see where I stand.
Old 01-29-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's in the leaderboards section somewhere, I could tell you exactly where it was if I where at home with the game on.
Old 01-29-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
It's in the leaderboards section somewhere, I could tell you exactly where it was if I where at home with the game on.

However...it doesn't give you the stats for every weapon.

I've also heard that if you're playing Ranked and someone quits.....your points will be recorded on the leaderboard, but apparently they will not count towards your acheivements.

For instance it took me 106 kills to get the "Frag" acheivement because six of those kills occurred during a match where a player quit.
Old 01-30-07, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
Let me ask you a question. This new move. Is there a knuckle involved in any way?
No, but I think it ends with a counter clockwise swirl.
Old 07-03-19, 04:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Gears of War

so, i finally got used to the movements and such and i love the ambience and the music that plays and the Ultimate Edition (not sure if they remastered, but i'm sure they did) looks gorgeous.

But, does it get any harder?

i play on normal. that is usually a pretty decent difficulty level for most games, not too hard, but not easy either. i'm in Act 3, chapter 3 or something, in the sewers of a bldg. and i kill some stuff, but with squad mates they take out half and maybe i take out another half or less and there hasn't even been mobs of enemies. some of those glowing creatures come in packs and the Kryll, but the aliens with guns are so few and far between and have not changed in difficulty yet or at all if that's the case. and as long as you take cover you're fine. i fought a few different creatures, but nothing overwhelmingly difficult. no boss or anything i can recall.

does it get harder? are the rest of the games similar, kill some stuff, talk to whoever on the comm to get direction, see a cutscene, rinse repeat?

mind you, i'm not at all hating this game at all. as mentioned everything works so well together as a game, just not the difficulty level. and yes, i know i can play on hardcore, but i don't think i would survive that. i know i played a little of Gears 2 and remember it was much more difficult, with more enemies and think that was mainly solo, unless i am mis-remembering. anyway...
Old 07-08-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! Wait until the last chapters.

Specially the last boss battle, you will asking a lot of questions here , and/or watching youtube videos.
Old 07-09-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The final boss battle is the only reason why I never finished the game on the highest difficulty. Fuck that guy!
Old 07-09-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The final boss battle is the only reason why I never finished the game on the highest difficulty. Fuck that guy!
That was definitely one of those OMG moments when I finally beat that with someone on Co-op online. Think it took us about 2 hours to finally beat him. We were going NUTS to put it lightly.
Old 07-09-19, 05:55 PM

ugh! really? two hours and there was 2 of you? i don't stand a chance then. i'm on Act V: Chapter 2, maybe. i know only a few more to go. it didn't get any harder really on normal, same ole thing throughout the game. don't get me wrong, i really like the game. once i got the hang of duck and cover, then shoot, it was pretty easy. we'll see what comes next, but def. look forward to it. have Gears 2 set to go after...

And my god is this linear. I like linear don’t get me wrong, but let me get over some rubble or break a window or something. And more than just finding dog tags. There not even a challenge to find. Go around 1 corner that leads to no where and there it is.

do they go more into the history of the "Fenix Estate" and his father and all that or is that later games?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-09-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
ugh! really? two hours and there was 2 of you? i don't stand a chance then. i'm on Act V: Chapter 2, maybe. i know only a few more to go. it didn't get any harder really on normal, same ole thing throughout the game. don't get me wrong, i really like the game. once i got the hang of duck and cover, then shoot, it was pretty easy. we'll see what comes next, but def. look forward to it. have Gears 2 set to go after...

And my god is this linear. I like linear don’t get me wrong, but let me get over some rubble or break a window or something. And more than just finding dog tags. There not even a challenge to find. Go around 1 corner that leads to no where and there it is.

do they go more into the history of the "Fenix Estate" and his father and all that or is that later games?
Doing it on Normal you'll be fine. That took me maybe 3 or 4 tries by myself and then I beat it. We were talking about on INSANE mode. Died way too many times to count because the whole end only takes like an actual 4 minutes or so to beat.
Old 07-10-19, 09:03 PM

Ah. Feel better. Looking forward to 2. Does that just improve and expand on this one? And then 3 following it? How was 4?
Old 07-10-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Ah. Feel better. Looking forward to 2. Does that just improve and expand on this one? And then 3 following it? How was 4?
Less of a horror feel. Heavier emphasis on massive, cinematic setpieces. Significantly easier, at least on the default difficulty. (Your teammates can revive you in the sequels.) I've been participating in a full series playthrough discussion on another forum, and basically everyone agrees that 2 and 3 are a considerable improvement over the first game (though it's a bit more up in the air if people prefer 2 or 3. Personally, I'm 2>3>1). 4 tends to be shrugged off as a very safe sequel, and people tended to not be wild about the way it incorporated Horde mechanics (the countdown timer, deciding where to put turrets and stuff, etc.) into the campaign. I had a blast with 4, but it was only the second Gears game I played, and I haven't gone back to it yet after binge-playing the first 3 in the series.
Old 07-12-19, 05:42 PM

i guess the last few missions got a little harder. not done yet, but still having fun. just wish more enemies and more enemy variety...
Old 07-13-19, 07:48 PM

nearing end. just killed Brumack or the electricity rather. he was a son of a bitch considering my AI partner kept getting killed instantly and he only attacked me until i could, if i could, revive. still not as challenging as i would have liked, but i did like game thus far overall. looking forward to 2 right after. then maybe 3 and tide me over till the great Fall FPS releases...
Old 07-14-19, 02:05 PM

...and finished. pretty satisfying overall. RAAM was an SOB to kill, but once figured out torque bow to kill, pretty simple. Kryll didn't even bother me if i was in coverage. he just stayed in one spot one time and that was it. would have liked a little more of a challenge, but still very good. didn't know who that Queen was. sure didn't look Locust, but jumped into the first mission of 2 and she narrates the beginning, so i am sure i will find out soon enough. nice little odyssey so far...
Old 07-22-19, 06:31 PM

I’m midway through Act 3 now and still on normal. Nothing has been a real challenge. Like the first the enemies are so few and far between. I don’t get it. Why the hype and rage? I go to several checkpoints walking up a mountain or in that Centaur, I think with out fighting a single enemy. In the tank, shoot the rocket, kill everything and move on. A couple times I fell through ice and died, but no real challenge to get remotely frustrated like I’ve had with many games once or twice. And I don’t necessarily hate it. I got used to play style and it is fun shooting locusts to bits, but despite how much I suck, I would like to get a little frustrated, put it down, pick up another day and beat it fairly quickly what gave me trouble before. I’m just a little shocked why they are so revered. I know I can change difficulty and start Act over, but I always play on medium or normal and never this easy. I hope 3 and 4 have better variety and more enemies. Might have to rethink 5 preorder...