Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends if your mates are online, and if they want to join...

but that's exactly why they have measures to assure that. Personally, its un-even to have one team of buds, and then just having randoms on the other team. If you want to inflate your ego, its cool, but not if you want competitive matches
Old 01-12-07, 01:42 PM

this all depends on whether you're talking about ranked matches or friendly matches mmconhea. If you want to play ranked matches with friends then you're looking for an advantage that Epic doesn't want you to have. I'm talking about you making a private room for you and your friends to play friendly matches if you have 4 people you can easily all be on the same team and play against random people to fill the other team.

Am I going to have to draw a picture?
Old 01-12-07, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People still play ranked with teams, but it is much harder to do now because of the patch. Personally, I don't think it's fair to the other four players. Hopefully Epic will add a clan option or something in the next update so everybody will be happy. That way I don't have to hear "West, go f-ing Locust or I'm closing the lobby" anymore.
Old 01-12-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
this all depends on whether you're talking about ranked matches or friendly matches mmconhea. If you want to play ranked matches with friends then you're looking for an advantage that Epic doesn't want you to have. I'm talking about you making a private room for you and your friends to play friendly matches if you have 4 people you can easily all be on the same team and play against random people to fill the other team.

Am I going to have to draw a picture?
I think that's straight up horseshit. You don't have a team-based multiplayer and then disable people from playing with their teams.

On the other hand, it was bullshit for a room host to start a random room and put all the high ranked players on his own team. But that's no reason to disable clan support in ranked games.
Old 01-12-07, 03:17 PM

yea, it would be extremely dumb unless you were playing a whole other team of guys. Having 1 team versus 4 randoms would be ludicrous, and wouldn't accurately portray anyones ranking
Old 01-12-07, 03:19 PM

I totally agree with what you're saying but they didn't intend on clan support. People just started abusing the ability to see the host name and bring in all their buddies and therefore got their clan in. The other side is completely screwed because it's a mix n match of whoever happened to slide into the remaining four spots in a given room. What happens then is the "Clan" kicks the shit outta the team of strangers, and that's bullshit as well. So in the interem they just said screw that and made it so it's harder to get your said clan together for ranked matches.

The only way this could all be made right is if they throw in complete clan support and did a system sort of like Halo2 where there are "Ranked Match" and "Clan Match" options or at the very least allow someone to invite friends to join their side as opposed to being completely screwed having to play with stranger who have never worked as a team before.
Old 01-12-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually played with a clan on LIVE on Gears....YESTERDAY! And they were handing our asses to us(the strangers team) AND were obnoxious. It put me off playing any Match without a DVDTalker(or 8-Bit-Brigader). The worst part it was on Ranked so what the hell?
Old 01-12-07, 03:28 PM

the idiots litter Gears, to the point I start comparing it to Saints Row. If anything, I'm just going to start muting morons, and neg repping their accounts.

But yea, I stay away from ranked matches for many reasons, including the one you've mentioned
Old 01-12-07, 03:33 PM

Jason and Kurrpt I feel your pain. Companies like Epic and Bungie think they can do something to police their failures with kiddie gloves. The result is zero progress. What they need to do is just change the way the multiplayer options are layed out altogether. It's pretty obvious that people want to play as teams so why not make it an option? Answer = Because they're Epic and they think they can do something to stop people from playing on teams. It's all very insulting to our collective intelligence.

and as mmconhea said earlier it's total bullshit that a team based game won't allow you to play as teams without circumventing their shitty system.
Old 01-12-07, 03:40 PM

well, i can really see both sides of the coin. I think they are trying to people to those random players that just go online and play, but don't really get a bunch of buddies to play with them. That type of person would be at an extreme disadvantage if the game was specifically setup for teams.

You could, in turn, easily argue that it's CLEARLY a team game, thus should allow you to build your team as you see fit, and fight ranked, as a team.

With the current way they do rankings, they system obviously isn't going to work, and yes, motivates people to come up with other methods for getting their team together.

Effectively, they would need to overhaul the game completely to find some sort of happy medium
Old 01-12-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
If someone wants another A## to kick around in MP throw me a line. Heck for that matter I'll even go thru co-op..again...even though I've been thru five times... since UPS has my RS:LV game somewhere in "LALA Land".

Maybe it is time to bring back the DVD TALK clan and just play amomg ourselves since the "kiddie idiots" are back from Halo.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 01-14-07, 07:43 PM
Retired

Finally got a chance to play this last night at a friends. We started at 11 pm and played co-op until 5:30 am.

Great game. Not enough to get me to by a 360 at current prices, but definitely a fantastic, system seller quality game.
Old 01-15-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think games need 3 options: player match, ranked match, clan ranked match.

That seems like it would satisfy everyone. I personally HATE playing ranked matches when it's a bunch of people in a clan on the other team. They absolutely destroy me in 3 seconds and I get no practice...IT'S NOT FUN. I guess people who are in clans just don't understand this. That's why they just need to add 'clan ranked match'.
Old 01-15-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodo
I personally HATE playing ranked matches when it's a bunch of people in a clan on the other team. They absolutely destroy me in 3 seconds and I get no practice...IT'S NOT FUN. I guess people who are in clans just don't understand this. That's why they just need to add 'clan ranked match'.
Agree 100%. No fun at all.
Old 01-15-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by TNAJason
I actually played with a clan on LIVE on Gears....YESTERDAY! And they were handing our asses to us(the strangers team) AND were obnoxious. It put me off playing any Match without a DVDTalker(or 8-Bit-Brigader). The worst part it was on Ranked so what the hell?
I'm actually starting to enjoy these MP matches against the "obnoxious" Clans.

I always make it a priority to acquire the Grenades/Boomshot and take out as many as I can. It's usually a suicide mission, but I do my best to take at least two players out of the mix.

..and you know you're somewhat successful when someone is cursing your name in the "death lobby" ..... or the Host leaves the entire match. I always seem to have one of these when I play ranked.
Old 01-15-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's awesome candyrocket786.
Old 01-15-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
....I forgot to add

If you guys hate squaring off against "obnoxious" Clans, then you'll hate

Roadie Run/Shotgun Glitch
    Forced Lag
      Dummy COG/Locust player
        Old 01-15-07, 01:38 PM
        DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
        Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
        Finally got a chance to play this last night at a friends. We started at 11 pm and played co-op until 5:30 am.

Great game. Not enough to get me to by a 360 at current prices, but definitely a fantastic, system seller quality game.

I think the coolest thing is online co-op. I played with a guy from Canada one night for like 3 hours.
        Old 01-15-07, 02:58 PM
        Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
        I think the coolest thing is online co-op. I played with a guy from Canada one night for like 3 hours.
        That's a fact. I've finished the campaign on all difficulties, but I still find myself joining up with a newbie starting their first campaign. Last week I played with a 40 year old Gamer-dad out in Nevada to help him finish up the first couple Acts & pick up all the Cog tags along the way just for the hell of it.

As much as I like the multiplayer, the friendly nature of Co-op is much more entertaining.
        Old 01-15-07, 03:36 PM
        Retired

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
        I've never been big on online gaming.

It just can't top sitting with a couple of buddies in the same room, pounding some beers and talking shit etc.

Just not the same online, even if playing with the same people IMO.
        Old 01-15-07, 05:51 PM
        DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally ended up picking this up myself after several co-workers rave about it weekly. Played a bit on Friday night online and got my butt handed to me, but still had a blast.

If anyone is up for a game and doesn't mind playing with a complete novice... Hit me up.. (UM The VICTORS)
        Old 01-15-07, 06:37 PM
        DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
        Originally Posted by Spy021
        Finally ended up picking this up myself after several co-workers rave about it weekly. Played a bit on Friday night online and got my butt handed to me, but still had a blast.

If anyone is up for a game and doesn't mind playing with a complete novice... Hit me up.. (UM The VICTORS)

I may have to , nothing against you, but I still haven't got my RS:LV shipped last week and I'm getting some rust waiting on it. If you want to go coop let me know and just tell me who you want? Have you gone thru the whole game yet?

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
        Old 01-15-07, 09:07 PM

I'm looking for someone for Live co-op. Need to finish acts 4&5 with dom on hardcore, also need all acts on Insane.
        Old 01-16-07, 05:11 AM
        Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
        Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
        I've never been big on online gaming.

It just can't top sitting with a couple of buddies in the same room, pounding some beers and talking shit etc.

Just not the same online, even if playing with the same people IMO.
        Yeah, but sometimes your buddies can't come over, or live in another state.
        Old 01-16-07, 06:45 AM
        DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
        Yeah, but sometimes your buddies can't come over, or live in another state.

Or you have buddies but they don't game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.