Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Gripshift is up for download (free demo, $9.99 for full game)
thanks for the update. I'm downloading it now. the demo is only 121MB so it should only take 4-6hrs to download.
Old 01-05-07, 04:04 PM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I used the itrackr (for the first time) and it showed a local Target with PS3s show up in stock this morning. I drove out there not sure what to expect, but they had 4 units in the case (which is all it could fit, so they may have had more).

I picked one up, an extra controller, and game (Full Auto 2), and applied for a Target card to get an extra 10% off ($71!). Went over the nearby Gamestop and picked up a Sony Remote. I just got done spending an hour or so hooking up and configuring the system, and now I'm downloading the GT-HD demo.

I went to my Blockbuster online account and started adding Blu-ray movies to rent, and was disappointed to see many titles missing (like Covenant this week, but even older titles like The Wild, Flight of the Phoenix, Annapolis, etc) probably about 1/3 of the movies I was looking for. I went ahead and set up a cheap Netflix account to pick up the straglers that Blockbuster is missing.
Old 01-06-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After spending hours researching on which one to get, I opted for the 60gb at Target this morning. Woo woo!!!

Of course, I've had the Samsung BD player for 3 months, so I was already enjoying some BD goodness. Still, the PS3 is definitely the more future-proof player. Sony will make sure this unit is up to date on everything with firmware upgrades. I tested it out with X3 and it does look sharper from this system compared to the Samsung, which has the latest firmware. I also managed to get the last BD remote from Walmart. I'm into gaming, so I'll get full use out of this system. I'm happy with the purchase. I just hope my unit has no bugs in it, al la some of the freezing issues mentioned on AVS.
Old 01-07-07, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read on a website that PS2 games looks like crap on the PS3. Is this true? I couple of friends have the PS3 but they didn't try PS2 games on it, so they can't tell. Any info on this? Thanks!
Old 01-07-07, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by danyanez
I read on a website that PS2 games looks like crap on the PS3. Is this true? I couple of friends have the PS3 but they didn't try PS2 games on it, so they can't tell. Any info on this? Thanks!
The only PS2 game I've played so far is Bully and it looked the same as played on PS2 to me. Haven't tried the others as I've been playing too much Tony Hawk, Tiger Woods, GT HD and other PS3 games. Also been playing a lot of Wii. Maybe I should sell off my PS2 games as I don't see most of them getting played for awhile anyways.

Anyone know of a site that lists which PS2 games look bad on PS3? I gave a quick search and didn't see anything relevant.
Old 01-07-07, 08:22 AM

Some look like poo while others don't. The original Genji looks like crap for example. It looks like pitfall graphics on an Atari 2600.

I'm hoping Sony comes up with a fix for this. I wan't to play the Devil May Cry and FF series on the 3 instead of the 2 now.

The ones that don't look bad such as a kids game like Dora, Muppets Party cruise are acceptable but, i'm sure most on these boards wouldn't have an interest in those.
Old 01-07-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The common word is that 480i PS2 games look bad on the PS3, particularly the Final Fantasy games. There was a big thread from the Sony forums about this... i think i posted the link to the thread earlier.
Old 01-08-07, 02:31 AM

Just a quick question: I may be doing something wrong, but everytime I turn the system off while I'm in the middle of a movie and I turn the system back on, I have to start from the very beginning again as if it's the first time I popped in the movie. Is this how it is? Or is their some specific option I have to change? Also I am turning it off from the front and not the back.
Old 01-08-07, 01:57 PM
Political Exile

I have a question. I want to download the Loco Roco Holiday game from the PS3 to my PSP. The instructions on the PS3 just say to connect the PSP to the PS3 with the USB cable. I did that, but nothing happens. Am I missing an important step? The PSP and PS3 are running latest firmware.
Old 01-08-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Well, against my better judgement, I bought a 60GB PS3 and hooked it up over the weekend. I rationalized my purchase by claiming it to be the supreme BD player on the market... anyways, I d/l the Motostorm demo and just played. Man was my hand CRAMPED from pulling that upper right trigger. I don't know if it's because Im so used to playing the Xbox 360 or what... but that controller sucks (or should I say "control" for Motorstorm) - and I don't have big hands at all.
Old 01-08-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
I have a question. I want to download the Loco Roco Holiday game from the PS3 to my PSP. The instructions on the PS3 just say to connect the PSP to the PS3 with the USB cable. I did that, but nothing happens. Am I missing an important step? The PSP and PS3 are running latest firmware.
did you set the PSP into USB mode? Haven't tried it myself...

BTW, can't you just download it straight into your PSP by using the PSP browser to go to the PSP website?
Old 01-08-07, 05:18 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by fujishig
did you set the PSP into USB mode? Haven't tried it myself...

BTW, can't you just download it straight into your PSP by using the PSP browser to go to the PSP website?
I have no idea what to do. I just noticed the game for the first time while setting up the new PS3, clicked on it, it said to connect my PSP via USB, and that's it. I haven't studied on the PSP side of things, I suppose it makes sense that it needs to be put in a certain ready mode, but I wish the Loco Roco PS3 page would tell me that.
Old 01-08-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You definitely have to put the PSP into USB mode first. That is how I downloaded Syphon Filter and Hot Shots Golf.
Old 01-08-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone noticed their PS3 scratching discs? I handle all of my with great care, but I've noticed no matter how I take out a BD, the bottom now has tiny scratch marks. This is not good.
Old 01-10-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Has anyone noticed their PS3 scratching discs? I handle all of my with great care, but I've noticed no matter how I take out a BD, the bottom now has tiny scratch marks. This is not good.
Geez, this console too?
Old 01-10-07, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD

In case you haven't done it yet, on your PSP under settings, enable your USB connection, that should do it. I downloaded MidiEvil, which I had never played before, it's lots of fun.
Old 01-10-07, 11:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I found a good deal on a PS3 yesterday, so I bit. I only bought Resistance for it and I'm not overly impressed. Mostly I'm using this as a BD player right now.
Old 01-10-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I almost got a ps3 today at best buy, none of the games intrest me right now but want it for blu-ray. Right now I own a HD-dvd player, but theres some movies I want on Bluray, but I couldnt spend the money almost did but passed. Are ps3 selling well anymore? Best Buy had 12 PS3 all stacked up.
Old 01-10-07, 11:48 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet there will be a firesale on PS3s by the time I need (and I will need) a bluray player.
Old 01-10-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
No, but I have noticed what a dust collector the PS3 is compared to my other video/audio equipment. I swear, I can't keep the bloody thing clean.
Old 01-10-07, 02:26 PM

I just got capcom collection 2 and sega collection 2 yesterday. Why does the controller shut off once the ps2 games loads? Anyone else have this happen? Also the screen overlaps on the right side if you try to make it full screen on any of the games the right side shows the left side of the screen itshard to explain. Ugh
Old 01-10-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
I just got capcom collection 2 and sega collection 2 yesterday. Why does the controller shut off once the ps2 games loads? Anyone else have this happen? Also the screen overlaps on the right side if you try to make it full screen on any of the games the right side shows the left side of the screen itshard to explain. Ugh
Yup, mine does that too. I'm guessing it does that when swapping into dual shock mode, or when the emulation chip on the ps3 kicks in. Kinda annoying.
Old 01-10-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone know which, if any, PS2 games are not compatible with the PS3? I'll be getting one soon, and I may pick up an older game or two for it since I've never had a PS2.
Old 01-10-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a few thoughts after a week of owning the console (and getting it wired into my network last night):
  • The PlayStation Store layout is nice and organized, but the navigation is a little wonky. The cursor doesn't always move where I would expect it to when using the D-pad, and if you move the cursor with the analog stick, it's way too slow.
  • For me, the download speed for the demos was much better than it is on the 360.
  • I tried out the downloadable PS1 game feature last night once I saw they had Jumping Flash (one of my favorite PS1 games). It worked flawlessly, and it's nice to have the game on the go. The price is reasonable too - $6.
  • Resistance is fun so far. I'm still pretty early on in the game, but since my next PS3 purchase will be Virtua Fighter 5 in early March, I've got plenty of time to finish it.
  • I watched The Descent on the PS3 a few nights ago, and it looked great. It's certainly on par with the HD-DVDs I've watched.
I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far, which honestly surprises me a little. Of course the game library is very weak at the moment, but I've got enough games for the other consoles to keep me busy for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-10-07, 05:57 PM
Political Exile

How does the retail version of Resistance compare to the demo?

I suck at these military/stealth titles, and thusly suck at the Resistance demo, usually killing 4 or 5 alien soldiers before getting shot and killed. If the full game is easier (at least starting out), I may consider a rental, but I never did well with games like Halo or Metal Gear Solid, so I'm guessing I should listen to my gut on this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.