Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpc
On the google checkout site, they said that the discount may not reflect on the reciept you recieve from buy.com. i imagine it's something they're doing internally to promote their new service?

Yeah, I am sure it'll sorts itself out.

I think that's a great deal. Thanks for posting it! The adapater is a nice touch so I can transfer info from the card, to PC, to Phone and to Wii very easily now. I opted for the free shipping though, so I probably won't get the card before I get the Wii Saturday night, but I'd rather save the $6
Old 11-14-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 296 Posts
What I find interesting on the Target site is that some games show a release date of tomorrow or the 17th, but the controller is listed as the 19th with the system. I wonder if maybe the stuff will start to trickle in as the week goes on. And who's to say that a worker may not mistakenly put out the controllers as he sees the games going out.
Old 11-14-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
There's now a Wii Code that a single code for your system. I think it is a 16-digit code. You and your friend will have to add each other, but it appears it'll apply to all games. Of course, we won't know for sure until there's an online game actually released.

See, that's the thing I don't like about these codes. I'm used to playing online on the PC and at one time, my PSP. I could easily jump into a game without wondering if any "friends" were online. If they do restrict it to just friends, that's a big mark against it for me.

Most DS wifi games allow you to play online quickly and easily without using any friend codes
Does Mario Kart allow this? I've never been able to find any games, friends or not via Wi-Fi.
Old 11-14-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CreatureX
TIME says that Wii Sports may be "the greatest videogame ever made".
Trust me, I was just joking, seeing how Wii Sports comes with the system.

I can't wait to play it.
Old 11-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
See, that's the thing I don't like about these codes. I'm used to playing online on the PC and at one time, my PSP. I could easily jump into a game without wondering if any "friends" were online. If they do restrict it to just friends, that's a big mark against it for me.
From what I understand you can play online without friend codes.. but the friend codes let you play with specific people that you know. I could be wrong.. I haven't played any online DS games and my interest in it on the Wii is awfully minimal as well. Now if they made a Shining Soul III for the DS.. I wouldn't leave my DS!
Old 11-14-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

Does Mario Kart allow this? I've never been able to find any games, friends or not via Wi-Fi.
The Friend Codes are only to let you see when a specific person is online (and similarly, to let another see when you are online). There is no restriction saying you need to swap Friend Codes just to play.

Hell, I have 8 WiFi DS games, with several FCs added on each and I've only ever played against my brother since arranging games otherwise is too difficult for my available free time at home.

I would hope that once the FCs are exchanged, it would be no different than how XBL works. That you could see what your friends are doing. But, there's no way to know that yet.
Old 11-14-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 937 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
The Friend Codes are only to let you see when a specific person is online (and similarly, to let another see when you are online). There is no restriction saying you need to swap Friend Codes just to play.
Exactly. I currently have 0 friend codes. ...but I've played probably 75 matches of Tetris online against random people(usually someone from Japan).

I don't have a problem with the Wii working the same way.
Old 11-14-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 296 Posts
I don't know about the other DS games, but you definitely have to have someone on your friend list for Animal Crossing. However that is probably unique to that game, and it is with good reason so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 11-14-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

UPS is delivering the first Wii shipments to BB in Atlanta tomorrow: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...47&newsLang=en
ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--One of the most anticipated video game systems of the 2006 holiday season will be delivered across the nation this week in advance of sales that begin on Sunday, Nov. 19. But the Nintendo Wii units won’t be delivered by the man in the red suit. Instead, they will be delivered this week by the men and women in UPS brown suits.

Nintendo is mobilizing the largest worldwide video game console launch in at least a decade, with approximately 4 million Wii systems available globally during the six weeks between Wii's Nov. 19 launch in the Americas and the end of 2006.

UPS has worked long and hard with Nintendo to manage a supply chain that requires the units to be “positioned” at retailers this week in advance of the sales start date.

Media are invited to an Atlanta-area retailer on Wednesday, Nov. 15, to capture the delivery of the units. Spokespeople from UPS and Best Buy will be available for comment, and there will be great visuals as a UPS driver unloads the Wii units from the familiar brown package car.
So, if the above holds true across the nation, we should be able to find out from the local BBs the actual numbers and if there's any chance of accessories or games being out a day or two early.
Old 11-14-06, 04:21 PM

Who wants to intercept a truck with me?
Old 11-14-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife works at UPS, maybe we can track one down and hijack it.
Old 11-14-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I got a call from Gamestop saying I could pick up Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam tomorrow. I'm still not sure I'll be getting that title, but there's a good chance games might be available early.

I'm sure that some store, somewhere, will break street date on the Wii.
Old 11-14-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I got a call from Gamestop saying I could pick up Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam tomorrow. I'm still not sure I'll be getting that title, but there's a good chance games might be available early.

I'm sure that some store, somewhere, will break street date on the Wii.
You should be able to get a bunch of games tomorrow. EBgames.com just moved a bunch of games and accessories to the new release/now shipping page.

I hope someone breaks the street date, it will put pressure on Nintendo and the other stores to allow it. The same thing happened with the gamecube.

Bad news is the component cables still say December 15th on EB's site and aren't listed anywhere else.
Old 11-14-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There already are reports of games being available. Someone at GoNintendo showed a copy of Trauma Center he got at EB.

Went by my BB tonight for my bi-daily harrassment seminar. The managers in the game section said they won't know how many units they get until release day Yeah, I'm sure the truck is going to pull up and we'll just do our business out of the back of it at 9am.

Still no go there for early accessories or even 3rd party games
Old 11-14-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what's the problem with the component cables? can't we just use a monoprice one? or does it have some special connection on the wii end?
Old 11-14-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
or does it have some special connection on the wii end?
you got it.
Old 11-14-06, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith

You can coun't on me
Old 11-14-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got an email from BestBuy.com telling me that Zelda is backordered That's ok though, I really don't have time to play it until I finish finals anyway.

But, Trauma Center is still on for tomorrow shipping apparently... we'll see if that happens.
Old 11-14-06, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I'm with you!

Just kidding, I was finally found an EB with a playable Wii. It was really cool and there was a crowd of 4 or 5 people watching. One of the guys playing Excite truck got his very reluctant friend to play it and he was hooked! I couldn't believe it. He was like "This is a lot of fun!" but before he had played it he was saying "come'on, lets go." Plus he had never played it before but was having a lot of fun. Everyone was laughing and having a good time .

Can't wait until sunday!
Old 11-14-06, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trauma Center came out today!!! *faints*

We put it on in the store. Looks great. Sadly, it requires a nunchuck for play, and Nintendo hasn't given us any of those for the demo units. Since we had the demo unit open, we put in Happy Feet, which was awful.
Old 11-14-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
According to an email that someone on another board received, component cables will not be available in-store until December.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Nintendo regarding your desire to purchase the Wii Component Video Cable. As you inquired about having the Component Video Cable available when the Wii launches, we are extending to you an exclusive offer. We have made a limited number of the cables available for purchase prior to the launch. The cable will cost $29.95 USD and $35.95 CDN. Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee. There is a limit of one Component Video Cable per customer.

To order by phone using your credit card (Visa or MasterCard), please call our Consumer Service line at 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to take your order between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week. Our representatives can also provide mail-order instructions if you would rather pay by check.

Please note, if you would rather not order at this time, additional cables will be made available to the general public via our online store on November 19th ( http://store.nintendo.com ), and they will also be available through selected retailers in early-mid December.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Consumer Service Department
Old 11-14-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
According to an email that someone on another board received, component cables will not be available in-store until December.

I just saw this too. This sucks, because my my receiver won't send a composite video signal to my TV since its hooked up with component cables. And since my TV is mounted on the wall, I don't want to have to take it down just to hook up the Wii. Didn't Perrin Kaplan (or whatever her name is) say that the cables would be available in stores at launch? Damnit!
Old 11-15-06, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 708 Posts
It seems like Walmart will be a popular choice. I hope to have sucess at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere.

What about the Target %10 off when you open an account deal? I was thinking that %10 off a Wii and three games would be enough for me to bite. Plus Target is doing that buy three games get a twenty dollar gift card deal. Could be a decent deal for a brand new system and three games. For the controllers the BB GGC would still be a better deal.
Old 11-15-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh. I guess I'll attempt to order cables when they open.

I guess it won't be too bad.. third party cables that MIGHT be in stores on launch are being listed online at $60 (!?).. so $30 plus 2nd Day UPS isn't that bad.. right.. right? Dammit, this sucks.
Old 11-15-06, 08:02 AM

If you are going to order them by phone, better do it today if hope to get them in time. Otherwise you'll have to wait until Monday.
1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to take your order between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.