Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part V: Clever Subtitle

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part V: Clever Subtitle

Old 12-11-06, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I see your points, all of you. I mean, how long has the DS been available? Might as well release a next-gen handheld by the time a new-and-improved version of the NDS would come out.
Old 12-11-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Nintendo wants to release a next generation, I think you're looking at 2009 or 2010. I think there is still time to release a third iteration of the DS Lite. Remember also that they still sell GBA. I would imagine the next generation will probably end GBA, not the DS.
Old 12-11-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I usually don't bother with cases and I'm really only using this one because I got it with the game, but it's nice though. Nothing too fancy, just basically a sleeve that you can slip your DS into and it says Final Fantasy III across the front. It's no good for holding games in because they'd fall out the top, but it's good for just stuffing in your pocket and keeping the system from getting scratched.
I have that case (it's a Wal-mart exclusive, right) but it seems a little too big for the small DS... I have a similar case that fits a little more snug.

I actually like the cheapy-looking transparent shell (the one that comes with a bunch of inserts to change the look of the case). There's one with NFL teams for 20 bucks, and one with random designs for 15. It almost perfectly fits around the DS lite, you can put whatever design you want in it (or lets you just showcase your black DS without fear of smudging), and it protects the shell from scratches (my silver fatty DS is really scratched up from being in my pocket). Unfortunately, it doesn't hold any games.
Old 12-11-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Game Informer is reporting that Zelda: Phantom Hourglass has been pushed back to October 15, 2007.

http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?su..._from=&ucat=7&

The early-2007 dates never really made sense to me, so this news doesn't come as a surprise.
Old 12-11-06, 04:07 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping the delay is to redo the game so it's not totally stylus controlled.
Old 12-12-06, 12:02 AM

According to a thread at NeoGAF, SquareEnix just announced that Dragon Quest 9 is gonna be for the DS!
Old 12-12-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Crazy! Nothing will stop the DS from total domination now! If this is true the DS will go down as the greatest system in the history of gaming (it already is in my book, so many damn good games).
Old 12-12-06, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-12-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If Nintendo wants to release a next generation, I think you're looking at 2009 or 2010. I think there is still time to release a third iteration of the DS Lite. Remember also that they still sell GBA. I would imagine the next generation will probably end GBA, not the DS.
If anything, the 3rd Gen DS would probably have:

1. web browsing software as a pack-in
2. a pack in game made by Nintendo along the lines of Wii Sports - something simple yet fun
3. improved battery life at the brightest screen level
4. the ability to play any GB and GB color games again
5. headphones

It's doubtful that you'll see something that would totally take over the DS though. Sales are strong, software is great, there's still plenty of headroom, and the stylus just opens the door to so many types of games - especially non-games. The cards the DS uses will only get cheaper allowing for bigger games.

The PSP/DS war has proven that the portable market doesn't require a powerful system and format to have an excellent system.
Old 12-12-06, 05:51 AM

Agreed on most points.
Originally Posted by Superboy
2. a pack in game made by Nintendo along the lines of Wii Sports - something simple yet fun
probably Brain Age. The only other games I can think of that are 1st party and super cool are probably a bit too valuable to give away free... eh, but I suppose the DS Phat had MK and Animal Crossing. I think Polarium would be a good pack-in, but it's not 1st party.
I at first thought this was not possible. If I recall correctly (never owned a GBA myself), the GBA could play the two types of games because it had two ports. The DS already has pretty much everywhere covered. But I think they could fit the two into one port (where GBA goes now). From nintendo:
Originally Posted by nintendo
There are two main reasons that the Nintendo DS is not compatible with older software. For one, the system is designed for wireless play and lacks a link cable port. Because older games aren't designed to use the wireless features, they can't communicate for multiplayer games.

Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to play these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty in adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture, the processor was not included in the final design of the DS.
This means maybe they would add some sort of link-up feature as well. This would make the GBA completely obsolete, which at this point is a great idea.

It's doubtful that you'll see something that would totally take over the DS though. Sales are strong, software is great, there's still plenty of headroom, and the stylus just opens the door to so many types of games - especially non-games. The cards the DS uses will only get cheaper allowing for bigger games.
This is exactly why I think there won't be a third revision of the same system. Probably a package with a game and maybe headphones, but I think we're looking at a timeline like this, then:

Summer or Winter (most likely winter) 2007: DS Lite Official Bundles appear.
Summer of 08: We hear there will be a successor to the DSL in a year or two...
Spring of 09: DS Lite Squared arrives.

So I suppose I agree with Jimmy James after all. Hadn't considered bundles and such, since to me these aren't really worth noting in a time line of a system, but definitely prolong it's lifespan.
Old 12-12-06, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the captures, Joe! I'm not familiar with the Dragon Quest series myself, but it looks like my cup of tea!

Originally Posted by Superboy
If anything, the 3rd Gen DS would probably have:

1. web browsing software as a pack-in
3. improved battery life at the brightest screen level
5. headphones
Bolding mine.

Do you really think there is a high demand for this? I used to have a Gameboy myself but I don't even have a clue where it is, let alone its games.

How about a microphone on the DS3, to allow you to talk to people you play with online? I guess this would really only work with low-bandwidth games like Clubhouse Games.
Old 12-12-06, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vision of Love
How about a microphone on the DS3, to allow you to talk to people you play with online? I guess this would really only work with low-bandwidth games like Clubhouse Games.
There is already a mic on the ds - right between the screens on the DS Lite.
Old 12-12-06, 07:27 AM

Ohhhh yeah...

I've only really used it in two games. No wonder I forgot of its existence.
Old 12-12-06, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vision of Love
Ohhhh yeah...

I've only really used it in two games. No wonder I forgot of its existence.
Yeah they really don't do much with it, do they? It's always some stupid blowing thing too, which just annoys me mostly.

Would love to see some voice chat.
Old 12-12-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

From IGN:
Square Enix held a press conference in Tokyo today to announce the next entry in the main Dragon Quest series. In a surprise move, Japan's most popular series will continue not on the PS3 or the Wii, as many had expected. Instead, Square Enix will be bringing the game to the DS.

The full name of Dragon Quest 9 is Dragon Quest 9: Hoshizora no Mamoribito. The surname can be translated to "Protectors of the sky."

Level 5 will be handling development on the game. The hot-shot development studio headed up development on Dragon Quest 8, before turning to a couple of projects for Sony. On the DS, the studio is currently working on Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village, to be self-published early next year.

Development staff on Level 5's end is the same as from Dragon Quest 8, right down to company president Akihiro Hino, who's serving as producer. Other staff members should come as no surprise. Series father Yuji Horii, heading up the project once again, was in attendance at the press conference, and said, "The DS version is not a side-story, but a true part of the series." Kouichi Sugiyama will be lending his talents to the game's soundtrack. And all future Dragon Quest soundtracks, it seems, as he took the stage today to say "I will continue making Dragon Quest music until I die."

Development seems to be quite far along. The online arms of magazines Famitsu and Gemaga, report that a demo was held at the press conference, with Horii and other guests playing the game live. Dragon Quest 9 features an action-oriented battle system playable cooperatively by up to four players via Wi-Fi. This is the first network-based Dragon Quest, Horii noted. The DS's dual screen setup is also put to use, with the top screen showing a map and the bottom screen housing all the action.

Horii is aiming for a Japanese release some time in 2007. With Dragon Quest 8 pulling in favorable sales internationally, expect a release outside of Japan to follow.

We've uploaded the first two screens of the game, which come our way via Gemaga.
Old 12-12-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 915 Posts
I'm not that surprised a DQ game is coming to the DS, but I am surprised that it's an official numbered game and not a spin-off. That is huge news, especially in Japan.
Old 12-12-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts
So I got my $15 copy of Children Of Mana today from Amazon. My initial impressions aren't so great. The menus just plain suck. Doing anything in the menus is just way to convoluted, and they're kind of slow too, which blows.

My main issue is the combat, though. It's one of those button masher things, where you are going to be hitting the sword button over and over killing 1000s of enemies. That's fine, but there's a special move that happens when you press the sword button 3 times in a row. It automatically moves you forward to thrust at the enemy. Problem is, 9 times out of 10, you also end up running into the enemy, which sends you falling down on your butt. I don't get why they'd do that. If I want to move forward, I'd move forward. Don't do it for my automatically!
Old 12-13-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 536 Posts
According to a new Famitsu Marketing survey, Sony's PlayStation Portable is getting walloped in Japan by Nintendo's DS. In November alone, the PSP sold a mere 86,000 units compared to nearly 550,000 DS Lites. More shocking are numbers for the first 11 months of the year, which show that Nintendo may have all but closed the door on PSP in Japan. The DS and DS Lite have sold more than 7.5 million units so far this year, with PSP selling just 1.6 million units.

Further troubling for Sony's portable system are its software sales in comparison to Nintendo. PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

The battle is a bit closer in the U.S., though Nintendo retains a strong lead month-to-month. In November, likely the busiest sales month of the year, twice as many DS Lites were sold as PSPs.

Publicly, Sony has shown nothing but confidence for the future of the PSP. Despite having weaker sales numbers compared to DS, the PSP had a strong year in terms of quality software. Nine of the twelve PSP games to receive a 9.0 or higher from IGN were released in 2006.
Just felt like posting that. I guess the Nintendo library of characters are just more popular, plus some true originals don't hurt. The GBA had to of made a killing in November, I mean, who can resist a $39.99 GBA Micro. (Walmart did something good for once.)

Last edited by RichC2; 12-13-06 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-13-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Just felt like posting that. I guess the Nintendo library of characters are just more popular, plus some true originals don't hurt. The GBA had to of made a killing in November, I mean, who can resist a $39.99 GBA Micro. (Walmart did something good for once.)
I couldn't, I bought 2.
Old 12-13-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed out on the Walmart sale, but not long after that, I picked up a brand new 20th Anniversary GBA Micro on eBay for $45 shipped. It's great for GBA games since it's even more portable than the DS, plus I really like the design of the Micro.
Old 12-13-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Micro went to $40 MSRP literally right after Wal*Mart's Black Friday sale.
Old 12-13-06, 09:39 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to a new Famitsu Marketing survey, Sony's PlayStation Portable is getting walloped in Japan by Nintendo's DS. In November alone, the PSP sold a mere 86,000 units compared to nearly 550,000 DS Lites. More shocking are numbers for the first 11 months of the year, which show that Nintendo may have all but closed the door on PSP in Japan. The DS and DS Lite have sold more than 7.5 million units so far this year, with PSP selling just 1.6 million units.

Further troubling for Sony's portable system are its software sales in comparison to Nintendo. PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

Old 12-13-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The Micro went to $40 MSRP literally right after Wal*Mart's Black Friday sale.
Know anybody that is actually selling it for that, though? I haven't seen it cheaper than $69.99 anywhere locally.
Old 12-13-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Know anybody that is actually selling it for that, though? I haven't seen it cheaper than $69.99 anywhere locally.
Yeah, I stopped at Walmart a few days after the sale, and they had some left, but they were ringing up at $60. That's why I went the eBay route.
Old 12-13-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wal*Mart near my place has a HUGE (I mean, HUGE) display of them.. black, silver and Famicom, for $40 a pop, with all the $20 Player's Choice games in the display's end caps. I assumed it was a MSRP drop since they said it wasn't a sale price but their normal price.. maybe it's just that Wal*Mart then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.