Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
The new PSM just came out. They gave ecstatic,, 9.5 reviews for both FF Tactics : The War of the Lions and Castlevania : Dracula X Chronicles. I didn't realize both games had a total graphical face lift. They both look very impressive. Pixy should be in heaven over these.

Also they gave Star Wars Battlefront Rogue Squadron a very good review and an 8.5 score. I'm certainly going to pick that one up.
Old 09-20-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends 2, Decker and KurrptSenate. Now, if only MUA wasn't $30 more than XL2 then the decision wouldn't be so difficult!

By the way, does anyone know when the piano black Slim and Lite PSP comes out in the US and Canada? Someone on another forum said September 24, but Amazon is showing a release date in the early October.
Old 09-20-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
The Star Wars pack comes out on 10/9. I'm guessing they'll wait till after that to release it alone to try to get more people to buy the more expensive bundles. Could be wrong though...
Old 09-20-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh, FF Tactics does have new stylised cut scenes, which look pretty fine.. but the in game graphics are just scaled up from the PS1 sprites, so they have that kind of murky look. I would have been interested in the game but that's enough to put me off.
Old 09-20-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Everything is kind of stretched in FF as well, but it is worth it for a new translation and the cut scenes look cool.
Old 09-20-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I picked up a 4 GB SanDisk Duo Pro Gaming Memory Stick today, in anticipation of my soon-to-be-acquired SlimNLite PSP. This is the first memory stick I've owned. I'm afraid I'll swallow the damn thing.

Question about the "MagicGate" copyright protection technology on the memory stick: Will I still be able to connect the Slim PSP to my PC (which is running Windows ME and is about 4-5 years old) to download MP3s onto the PSP for playback? Or will there be some "issue" due to the copyright protection scheme on the stick?

Last edited by Yavin; 09-20-07 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 02:49 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Ok, I picked up a 4 GB SanDisk Duo Pro Gaming Memory Stick today, in anticipation of my soon-to-be-acquired SlimNLite PSP. This is the first memory stick I've owned. I'm afraid I'll swallow the damn thing.

Question about the "MagicGate" copyright protection technology on the memory stick: Will I still be able to connect the Slim PSP to my PC (which is running Windows ME and is about 4-5 years old) to download MP3s onto the PSP for playback? Or will there be some "issue" due to the copyright protection scheme on the stick?
I also just bought the Scan Disk 4 gb card and had no problems copying songs etc to it. Got it for $67 CDN at Costco.

Also picked up the official psp soft travel case, pretty good and holds a lot.

I had another general question. I've converted a couple of movies for my psp. All movies were done in the same resolution (320 x 240) etc. But one of them has video and sound sync issues (video is faster than the sound but about 2 seconds). Should I try a lowering the resolution?
Old 09-20-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
I also just bought the Scan Disk 4 gb card and had no problems copying songs etc to it. Got it for $67 CDN at Costco.
Was that before or after taxes? Mine cost me $69.99 before taxes. Bought at Best Buy today, the last day of the sale. I figured if I don't buy it now I'd regret it since the PSP bundle I plan on buying doesn't come with a memory stick.
Old 09-20-07, 03:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was that before or after taxes? Mine cost me $69.99 before taxes. Bought at Best Buy today, the last day of the sale. I figured if I don't buy it now I'd regret it since the PSP bundle I plan on buying doesn't come with a memory stick.
Before taxes, the psp bundle I bought only came with a 1 gig card
Old 09-20-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fok
I had another general question. I've converted a couple of movies for my psp. All movies were done in the same resolution (320 x 240) etc. But one of them has video and sound sync issues (video is faster than the sound but about 2 seconds). Should I try a lowering the resolution?
I don't think lowering the resolution will help your problem. Does the file play fine before you convert it? I have had problems converting some DVDs to avi before. They were some childrens videos. I eventually had to re-rip the disk so that there was one output file for each show.
Old 09-20-07, 03:30 PM
sk8r1189

Originally Posted by Fok
@ Fok
It is probably an issue with the codec you converted from > to. I've had the same problem a few times, try first, before converting it, closing out all and any applications that might be running, as your computer might have lagged causing the Video and Audio layers to be mis-aligned. If you do that and re-convert it and have the same problem, then try opening it up in Sony Vegas if you can and just adjust the two layers accordingly. If all else fails - im sorry, I did my best.

Also, people still use Official Sony Firmware?
Old 09-20-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
As of today, $67 CDN = $67 US. Thank you, President Bush
Old 09-20-07, 05:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sk8r1189
@ Fok
It is probably an issue with the codec you converted from > to. I've had the same problem a few times, try first, before converting it, closing out all and any applications that might be running, as your computer might have lagged causing the Video and Audio layers to be mis-aligned. If you do that and re-convert it and have the same problem, then try opening it up in Sony Vegas if you can and just adjust the two layers accordingly. If all else fails - im sorry, I did my best.

Thanks I'll give this a shot, maybe I'll try and defrag my Harddrive first as well. I'm still using the 3.6 firmware it came with. I'm taking a DVD and converting it to mp4.
Old 09-20-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Everything is kind of stretched in FF as well, but it is worth it for a new translation and the cut scenes look cool.
Yeah, the new translation for FF Tactics is very tempting (the main reason I would have rebought it), but I have already played the crap out of the game itself on PS1, and I even do still have my copy. So with the graphics almost being a step back on this version, it's hard to justify.
Old 09-20-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sk8r1189
@ Fok

What software are you using to do the conversion? I've found that PSP Video 9 transfers w/o much, if any, lag.
Old 09-21-07, 09:02 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bahgee
What software are you using to do the conversion? I've found that PSP Video 9 transfers w/o much, if any, lag.
I'm using DVDFAB
Old 09-21-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my new Slim PSP yesterday. I had a PSP at launch but haven't had one for over a year or so.

I got the Daxter bundle and picked up Jeanne D'Arc. I haven't tried Daxter yet but Jeanne is sweeeet.

I have a lot of games I wanna get to catch up on but I don't know where to start. I definitely wanna get Tales of Eternia and I'm pretty sure my Fry's sells imported copies of.

I never played Disgaea on PS2 so I will get that when it comes out. FFT I have played so I don't think I'll get that, at least not right away.
Old 09-21-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, who here is actually waiting for the Slim PSP Star Wars bundle, besides me?
Old 09-21-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I kind of wish I did, but the other bundle was too good to pass up.

BTW, I am now about 23 hours into Jeanne D'arc and things improve greatly the further you go. They start keeping you busy enough to diminish the need to level grind and the story just gets better and better.

A couple of tips to deal with some of the harder levels.
Spoiler:
Your archers can really tip things in your favor on hard levels. Use both of them as much as possible to keep their levels high and spend money on their bows. Next give them both sky dart as soon as you can. You can bind it by using Meteor Bolt + Take Flight. This way they can stay far out of danger, but strike any enemy on the map.

When you have these guys powered up with Sky Dart take on many of the free side areas that pop up. Those areas are easy to beat with the archers and the rewards are really powerful weapons for your team.
Old 09-21-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am....unless they announce some sort of Kratos PSP.
Old 09-21-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the white color but the vader head design is a little much for me
Old 09-21-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boston george
i like the white color but the vader head design is a little much for me
Luckily, I love Star Wars, so I'm ok with the Vader silkscreen on the back. Call me crazy, however, but I'm not so sure about the Battlefront game bundled with the system. I might try and sell the game. I'd much rather have Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (which I fully intend to buy anyway) instead.
Old 09-21-07, 02:21 PM
sk8r1189

I use Sony Vegas 7.0 to convert my files to .mp4 file format. It automatically sticks them into the correct PSP folder too when its connected via USB.
Old 09-21-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd much rather have Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (which I fully intend to buy anyway) instead.
Is that comming to the PSP? I thought it was not as of right now.
Old 09-21-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Is that comming to the PSP? I thought it was not as of right now.
Really? I thought that if it was coming to the DS it would for sure be coming to the PSP on the same day and date. I never actually bothered to check, but I thought this was a pretty fair assumption.

EDIT: I just checked LucasArts own press release and it really isn't coming out for the PSP. Oh well, I'll just get it for the DS then.

Last edited by Yavin; 09-21-07 at 03:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.