Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Old 09-13-07, 10:45 AM
  #251  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,106
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any UMD cases that can hold more than the 8-12 that I seem to see all over? I must have 10 of those small sony cases and am looking to consolidate. Any info?
Old 09-13-07, 10:46 AM
  #252  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gurumin is not an RPG. Jeanne is an SRPG.
Old 09-13-07, 10:53 AM
  #253  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,993
Received 4,052 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Gurumin is not an RPG. Jeanne is an SRPG.
Isn't it an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Dlack Cloud 2? That was my impression of it.
Old 09-13-07, 12:06 PM
  #254  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,952
Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts
Finally put in an order with Circuit City's Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale. Picked up Parappa the Rapper and Crazy Taxi, total was $47.80 after tax and free shipping. I wanted to get the new Burnout, but couldn't find another $20 PSP game that I wanted.
Old 09-13-07, 12:32 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 17,098
Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Isn't it an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Dlack Cloud 2? That was my impression of it.
It's more of a Zelda type game. It has some RPG elements but I don't think there is any character leveling like KH.
Old 09-13-07, 02:40 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,993
Received 4,052 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
Finally put in an order with Circuit City's Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale. Picked up Parappa the Rapper and Crazy Taxi, total was $47.80 after tax and free shipping. I wanted to get the new Burnout, but couldn't find another $20 PSP game that I wanted.
Here, use this coupon at Best Buy:

$5 Off Any PSP Game

It works out to be the same savings and you won't need to buy a second one.
Old 09-14-07, 04:31 AM
  #257  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,475
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Vampire Killer

I was going to post a new thread about this, but i figured since it had something to do with the PSP I'd talk about it here.

On Wed. the EB Games at Universal city Walk held an autograph session with Koji Igarashi the producer of the Castlevania series. I originally had to work due to a corporate visit, but they never showed so I was allowed to go! I met my girlfriend there and I got both my Symphony of the Night, and the cover art to the upcoming Dracula X Chronicles signed. A press agent from Konami was there to take pics, and I'm waiting for the store manager to send me the photos he took of me with Igarashi. Easily one of the best nights I've had in a long time!
Old 09-14-07, 08:17 AM
  #258  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,958
Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts
Not $35, but 4 gig memstick at $40

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/521...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 09-14-07, 08:52 AM
  #259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zero
I was going to post a new thread about this, but i figured since it had something to do with the PSP I'd talk about it here.

On Wed. the EB Games at Universal city Walk held an autograph session with Koji Igarashi the producer of the Castlevania series. I originally had to work due to a corporate visit, but they never showed so I was allowed to go! I met my girlfriend there and I got both my Symphony of the Night, and the cover art to the upcoming Dracula X Chronicles signed. A press agent from Konami was there to take pics, and I'm waiting for the store manager to send me the photos he took of me with Igarashi. Easily one of the best nights I've had in a long time!
Bastard.
Old 09-14-07, 10:49 AM
  #260  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I picked up the daxter bundle last night. It has been a while since I have owned a non-Nintendo system. I must say that the PSP is damn sexy. After I showed my wife the Family Guy UMD, she was quite envious. I now have to fight the urge to trade and sell all of my "high value" games to build up a PSP game collection.
Old 09-14-07, 11:08 AM
  #261  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Well, I picked up the daxter bundle last night. It has been a while since I have owned a non-Nintendo system. I must say that the PSP is damn sexy. After I showed my wife the Family Guy UMD, she was quite envious. I now have to fight the urge to trade and sell all of my "high value" games to build up a PSP game collection.
I can't wait to pick up the Star Wars bundle coming in a few weeks ... this will also be my first non-Nintendo system of any kind (I've had the original NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and DSLite). I already have about 8 games lined up that I plan on getting around the same time I pick up the system as well.
Old 09-14-07, 11:36 AM
  #262  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,993
Received 4,052 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
I can't wait to pick up the Star Wars bundle coming in a few weeks ... this will also be my first non-Nintendo system of any kind (I've had the original NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and DSLite). I already have about 8 games lined up that I plan on getting around the same time I pick up the system as well.
Good lord don't wait, pick those games up today or tomorrow with the CC buy one, get one half off sale. You'll save a lot. Even if you change your mind, you could still return them in time.

With this sale I've gotten:
Jean d'Arc
Dead Head Fred
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Crush

all for $90 + tax.

Also that coupon I posted works. I was able to get Hot Shot Golf, Lemmings and Outrun Coast-2-Coast for $5 each at Best Buy. It expires 9/30, before the SW release. Don't miss out!
Old 09-14-07, 11:43 AM
  #263  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Good lord don't wait, pick those games up today or tomorrow with the CC buy one, get one half off sale. You'll save a lot. Even if you change your mind, you could still return them in time.

With this sale I've gotten:
Jean d'Arc
Dead Head Fred
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Crush

all for $90 + tax.

Also that coupon I posted works. I was able to get Hot Shot Golf, Lemmings and Outrun Coast-2-Coast for $5 each at Best Buy. It expires 9/30, before the SW release. Don't miss out!
I would, but I'm in Canada! But we're not completely out of luck here, as there is a store here that has a lot of games on sale. In combination with the store credit I have built up (at the same store I plan to pick up my PSP bundle from), I will only end up paying about $54 plus tax (out of my own pocket) for all 8 games (and the PSP will be free due to store credit as well). But yeah, I'm going to start picking up some of those games starting next week, before they disappear from the shelves.

I'm also going to use some of that store credit to knock of a few of the Fall DS titles from my list
Old 09-14-07, 11:52 AM
  #264  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me opinions on a good memory stick for the PSP? I'm looking at this one listed here at Best Buy Canada. It's a SanDisk 4GB MS Pro Duo Gaming Memory Card for $70 Cdn. Is this a good brand/model/size/price?
Old 09-14-07, 01:19 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yavin
Can anyone give me opinions on a good memory stick for the PSP? I'm looking at this one listed here at Best Buy Canada. It's a SanDisk 4GB MS Pro Duo Gaming Memory Card for $70 Cdn. Is this a good brand/model/size/price?
Good Brand. I do not know about price though. I also forgot to mention that I really enjoyed the fact that I did not have to pay tax due to paying exclusivly with credit.
Old 09-14-07, 01:38 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,958
Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
Can anyone give me opinions on a good memory stick for the PSP? I'm looking at this one listed here at Best Buy Canada. It's a SanDisk 4GB MS Pro Duo Gaming Memory Card for $70 Cdn. Is this a good brand/model/size/price?
Look at my post 6 above you.
Old 09-14-07, 03:40 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Look at my post 6 above you.
Ah, didn't see that. Would be good if I were inclined to shop online, but I'm not though. Plus I'm in Canada. But I did a lookup of the Canadian/US exchange rate and was surprised to find that we're about on par! Makes the $70 for the 4 GB at Best Buy Canada look like not such a good deal, but it seems like the cheapest I'd be able to find it for up here.

Another question I have for everyone is about the build quality of the UMDs themselves. I'm pretty anal about my DVDs (annoyed at scratches). Since a UMD is just a disc housed within a plastic shell, do I need to worry about getting UMDs with scratches on the data side of the disc inside?
Old 09-14-07, 03:49 PM
  #268  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 17,098
Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts
If I remember correctly (I sold off my old PSP well over a year ago) there is a small section of it which is exposed. Think of it like a old floppy disk without the metal piece that slides over to cover the disk inside.
Old 09-14-07, 03:54 PM
  #269  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
If I remember correctly (I sold off my old PSP well over a year ago) there is a small section of it which is exposed. Think of it like a old floppy disk without the metal piece that slides over to cover the disk inside.
Did you ever get a new UMD that, when you opened the brand new packaging, already had some scratches/blemishes on the disc within the casing (like how sometimes when you buy new DVDs you ocassionally get one that has scratches on the underside of the disc, even though it is brand new)?
Old 09-14-07, 04:08 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 17,098
Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts
Not when I had one. They were always in good shape. The UMD's snap into the case like a DVD disc would so they don't move around.
Old 09-15-07, 01:24 AM
  #271  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, Sid Meier's Pirates alone is reason to buy a PSP. I started playing it at noon and only stopped now because I realized I haven't eaten for 10 hours. I don't think I've played a single game for such a long stretch since Oblivion.
Old 09-15-07, 02:47 AM
  #272  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Okay, Sid Meier's Pirates alone is reason to buy a PSP. I started playing it at noon and only stopped now because I realized I haven't eaten for 10 hours. I don't think I've played a single game for such a long stretch since Oblivion.
I grabbed this one as well. I loved it on PC and the idea of having it portable sounded excellent.
Old 09-15-07, 02:54 AM
  #273  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,993
Received 4,052 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I missed that one. Is it $19.99 now?
Old 09-15-07, 04:10 AM
  #274  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,475
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Bastard.
Oh man I'm sorry.

Tell you what, my store is supposed to get Castlevania figures as a pre-order gift for the Dracula X Chronicles. I'll see about snagging you one.
Old 09-15-07, 07:42 AM
  #275  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,106
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Holy Hell, that's a haul of games. Is Killzone Liberation $20 yet? I might get that with MGS : PO if it is. Have my eye on Crush as well...
Check Toys R US, I got it yesterday for $19.99 as well as Ace Combat X for the same price and a boatload of racing games for roughly $8-$10.50 each.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.