Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt. 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 08:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honestly the reason Microsoft made the core is to fleece people who don't understand the value of the premium pack. They see it's $100 less and figure it's a better deal.
Old 09-17-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Binger
Is the left/right handed thing really a big deal? I mean come on it's a little petty, don't you think?
For some peoople yeah, and as I said, it in no way ruins my enjoyment of the game. But, I've always found it to be a very cool aspect of the character and over the years, has become a defining feature of Link for me. So, for Nintendo to suddenly change it for the Wiimote usage, and for something that requires nothing more than a flick no less, seems rather dumb to me.

As someone stated above, my understanding is this is the same Link as Ocarina/Majora's, so it does actually change him mid-series. I would find it incredibly cool on Nintendo's behalf though if there is a small, insignificant comment in the game as to why he changed.
Old 09-18-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Wii only has one AV port for Component cables? So no RGB scart port? Shit. Thats annoying, might as well wait till I get a new TV then
I've just thought since the Wii is region locked (ie you won't be able to play foreign games on your local Wii) - since the Wii is back compatable with the 'Cube are Cube games locked? Can I play my US copy of Ikaruga using the Freeloader?
Old 09-18-06, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You're missing something from the equation. A 360 core has no memory card or hard drive. The Wii has built in flash memory. So add another $40-$100 for the 360.

One other factor many are forgetting is peace of mind. From everything I've read, you should be prepared to shell out an additional $50 for a 360 for some type of extended warranty. My wife is getting me my choice between the wii and the 360 for my birthday, and in addition to the nintendo exclusives, it's the overheating issues I'm always reading about with the 360 that's got me leaning towards the wii.
Old 09-18-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
The orange port is for the sensor bar.
Sure? I guess it makes sense, unless the sensor bar could be USB.
Old 09-18-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sure? I guess it makes sense, unless the sensor bar could be USB.
I don't know if it has been confirmed for sure (what has wrt to connections, really?), but that's the general consensus. Using one of the two USB ports seems awfully short-sighted for a required* attachment.

*For Wii games requiring the motion sensitive input devices.
Old 09-18-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Oops, just realized that...editiing. That means the core 360 is a moron move...core $300 + component cables $40 + $40 memory card (froogle) = $380.

That made it a lot more simple. The 360 core is still a gimmick. It makes absolutely no sense to buy one unless you really don't care about online gaming and play in SD.
Logic would then dictate that if you don't care about online and play in SD, you are a moron.

Guess I'm a moron. I have no plans to buy any variety of 360, but if I did, it would most likely be the $300 version, so I'll bet there's a market for it.
Old 09-18-06, 01:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
Logic would then dictate that if you don't care about online and play in SD, you are a moron.

Guess I'm a moron. I have no plans to buy any variety of 360, but if I did, it would most likely be the $300 version, so I'll bet there's a market for it.
The lack of a harddrive is the real kicker. You then have to shell out $40 for a memory card. And even then I assume you'll miss out on the downloadable demos and content because of not having the HDD.

So it seems pretty pointless to me and I don't play online and only have an SD TV as well.
Old 09-18-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

edit: dbl post somehow

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-18-06 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The lack of a harddrive is the real kicker. You then have to shell out $40 for a memory card. And even then I assume you'll miss out on the downloadable demos and content because of not having the HDD.

So it seems pretty pointless to me and I don't play online and only have an SD TV as well.
Exactly. $340 for a core 360, or $400 for the 360 with HDD, component cable, online play, etc. Hmm....

Originally Posted by chess

Guess I'm a moron. I have no plans to buy any variety of 360, but if I did, it would most likely be the $300 version, so I'll bet there's a market for it
No, I said:

The 360 core is still a gimmick. It makes absolutely no sense to buy one unless you really don't care about online gaming and play in SD.
SD/offline gamers are still a large majority of the market...

That's why I said the core 360 only makes sense for folks for folks that want to play in SD and offline.

In all honesty even for them it doesn't make a lot of sense, being that there's only a $60 difference between a 64MB memory card and a 20GB HDD. What happens if you fill a memory card (I've got 2 PS2 cards, 2-3 gamecube cards, 2 PS1 cards...)? It's time to buy another memory card for another $40.

The HDD is a no-brainer, unless you're playing in SD, offline, and not often enough to fill a memory card.
Old 09-18-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest kick to the nuts for the 360 Core other than the obvious stuff already pointed out is that because there exists that configuration, all games have to be built to support it. I know some Xbox gamed used the hard drive for cache to ease load times or other reasons.. and I'm sure 360 games do too but they still have to be made to work WITHOUT it.. which may present a problem depending on what they'd like to use that hard drive for.
Old 09-18-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dudes, last time I looked this was the Wii thread. Not the let's bitch about the core vs. premium 360 console. Back to the topic at hand. The last 5 posts had nothing to do with Wii.
Old 09-18-06, 06:32 PM

Has there been any mention of creating a home network with the Wii and you home pc? It would seem to make sense with some of the channel features that were announced (pictures, etc.) This would also solve the whole hard drive problem if you could transfer saves between your pc hd and the wii internal memory.
Old 09-18-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming since the memory cards are SD, that you could transfer them to a PC no problem. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-19-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Dudes, last time I looked this was the Wii thread. Not the let's bitch about the core vs. premium 360 console. Back to the topic at hand. The last 5 posts had nothing to do with Wii.
The discussion was the argument that the Xbox core system costs pretty much the same as the Wii, given accessories, etc (had to respond to that, because it's not true). My bad, didn't mean to lead the conversation offtrack.
Old 09-19-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
One feature the Xbox core system doesn't have but the Wii does - appealing games.
The only 360 games I'm interested in are Dead Rising and maybe Army of Two and Blue Dragon...maybe...

For the Wii there's already Zelda, Metroid (console FPS with hopefully mouse-equal controls) & Dragon Quest Swords, and the hope that they bring Dragon Quest V & VI to the Virtual Console.

EDIT: my bad Vandelay. Tired third shifter read it backwards

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-19-06 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 01:51 AM
Banned by request

I think you read it wrong, Monkey. Vandelay was saying the Wii has the good games and the 360 doesn't.
Old 09-19-06, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you read it wrong, Monkey. Vandelay was saying the Wii has the good games and the 360 doesn't.
Ooops, edited. My bad.
Old 09-19-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vandelay_Inds - perhaps you missed a couple posts up where I asked there be NO console bashing. No more, even if you feel it's in jest.
Old 09-19-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.mtv.com/games/video_games...tml?id=1541183

Sales winners shouldn't matter to gamers, but getting a system in their hands probably will. Sony has pledged 400,000 PS3s for its November 17 North American launch date and 2 million in North America and Japan by the end of the year. On Thursday Nintendo trumpeted a 4 million figure for year's end, with a "majority" of those Wiis coming to the Americas. When GameFile pressed Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime about whether the company would release more than 400,000 Wiis on its launch date, he said, "We'll have more than that. Absolutely."

Launching with "Zelda" has been met with praise from many gamers, and those games typically make the shortlist for game of the year. "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" has been touted by the highly respected Nintendo developers overseeing the title, Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aounma, and they rarely over-hype. Nevertheless, launching with a title not made from the ground up for Wii raises questions about the game's fit for the gesture-driven Wii. Will it feel as natural as directing traffic or be just a hamstrung substitute? Nintendo has already launched one recent machine with a flagship game, the controls to which were an ill fit: the analog-stick-free Nintendo DS which, played round hole to the square peg of the remake "Super Mario 64 DS." The "Mario" game played best with an analog when it first came out for the N64, which had an analog stick. The DS did not and the remake's new touch-screen controls proved a poor substitute. That left the following year's "Kirby Canvas Curse," "Nintendogs" and — in Japan — "Brain Training" to show off the promise of the machine's microphone and touch screen for primary controls. Whether "Zelda" proves to be another system's leftovers clumsily warmed to serve as a Wii main course or winds up genuinely satisfying the palette might be the biggest question the Wii launch is able to answer.

In New York, Nintendo showed only an E3 level of "Twilight Princess," refit with updated Wii controls. Shaking the remote-shaped controller in the right hand causes hero Link to swing the sword he holds in his right hand. Shaking the nunchuck controller in the player's left caused Link to attack with the shield in his left. Those details might hasten the heartbeat of true "Zelda" fans who remember Link being a lefty ever since his 1987 original outing on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Link's switched sword hands for this Wii version, though Nintendo Head of Localization Bill Trinen pointed out to GameFile that even the original Link sometimes held his sword in his right: When he ran to the right, since the primitive NES simply flipped the drawing it used for Link running to the left, a southpaw grip of his sword mirrored as a clutch in his right.

Whether "Zelda" proves itself worthy or not, the absence of "WarioWare" from American shores this year is a loss. Fils-Aime pegged it as an "early 2007" title. The updated build of the game in New York sparkled with the ingenuity of the series' best earlier incarnations. "WarioWare" games throw — no exaggeration — any of 200 short games at the player, generally at random and generally to be conquered with the briefest of controller inputs in about five seconds. Then comes the next. The version for Wii, unveiled in May at E3, first commands the player to hold the Wii remote a certain way, then throw an unexpected game on the screen. New to this build was a command for "thumb-wrestler": choking up on the remote and wrapping one's thumb over the top. The associated micro-game involved shaking a champagne bottle and then spraying it at some onscreen victims. One that has the player holding the controller like a remote brings back a "WarioWare" staple: sampling other Nintendo games. This time "Nintendogs" gets the treatment, as one micro-game required the player to "give me five" to a Nintendog. The new build also included a "boss" in the form of a first-person driving game. Holding the controller at its short ends, players have to steer their car down a canyon, something that's simple and fun until monkeys come out and force a swerve.

While Nintendo's best may wait on the other side of New Year's, one of the company's 2006 stopgaps for Nintendo could turn out to be "Wii Play," which includes quick games of air hockey, fishing, table tennis, billiards and some other games, two of the 10 intended total being kept a secret. Most notable was the game Nintendo calls "Shooting," which looks and plays just like the classic "Duck Hunt": Players point at the screen and zap the ducks. Fils-Aime was soliciting press feedback about releasing the game in the U.S. Here's a suggestion: if it plays like a duck hunt, looks like a duck hunt, then call it "Duck Hunt." What's wrong with nostalgia?

As for other '06 candidates, attention should be paid to games not coming from Nintendo itself, like the gesture-driven surgery of Atlus' "Trauma Center: Second Opinion" and Ubisoft's "Rayman Raving Rabbids." A new "Madden" designed just for Wii is also in the works for this year, guaranteeing one of gaming's biggest series a firm presence on the console. That showing brought to mind the most potent third-party franchise that appears on any system but those made by Nintendo: the Take Two-published "Grand Theft Auto." Microsoft score a coup announcing in May that October 2007's "GTAIV" will arrive on Xbox 360 at the same time it comes out for PS3. But Nintendo has never hosted a "GTA" on a home console. Nintendo's leaders used to dismiss the series and tell the press it did not represent the future of games. Said Fils-Aime: "We're reaching out to every publisher, frankly every day. I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take Two to see what type of support they can give our console. ... The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console. EA has already announced that they're bringing 'The Godfather' to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is."
Old 09-19-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"We're reaching out to every publisher, frankly every day. I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take Two to see what type of support they can give our console.
Wow. I guess it doesn't come as a surprise since TT is handing their game out like candy now to every system imaginable. It was only a matter of time Nintendo caught up with the times. I'm not drawn to GTA, but it would be huge for Nintendo and will be one interesting development to keep track of.

Although, I'm betting something like Bully or Table Tennis is more in the cards for Nintendo.
Old 09-19-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm still surprised there's a complaint that Link isn't fighting left handed
Old 09-20-06, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No-one has answered my question about the Wii Though it will be region locked out of the box for Wii games, surely there must be a way to use the Freeloader on it (to play foreign 'Cube games?) like you do for the 'Cube?
Old 09-20-06, 03:31 AM
Banned by request

I thought they announced no region coding on the Wii?
Old 09-20-06, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought they announced no region coding on the Wii?
Nope. They quashed that one pretty quick. Here is a confirmation story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.