Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Old 05-22-06, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
The Thieves Den is up in the Market Place, it's a really a small download only 2.27mb cost 150pst. I hope it's worth it, but I 'am a sucker for anything Oblivion.

Thanks for the info....Keep us updated as to how it is.

I am waiting in anticipation for that Pirate download.
Old 05-22-06, 05:36 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here some of the features of The Thieves Den

Features:

* A fully detailed enviroment for your character to own and explore

* Free sleeping space: never pay for an inn again!

* Five upgrades for your lair

* Hire vendors designed especially for thieves, rogues, and assassins

* As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income

* Over 45 new items

* 15 new spells
Old 05-22-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
Thanks for the info....Keep us updated as to how it is.

I am waiting in anticipation for that Pirate download.

Originally Posted by Mok
* As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income
This sounds like the download you're looking for.
Old 05-22-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope there is a free download, since I don't really feel like buying more for the game.

On the other hand, I don't think I ever rented a room at an in unless it was for a quest. There are alway plenty of free beds in the guilds, or even cleared caves.

I wonder what the upgrades are. The spells don't really interest me, as my casting ability is way low. Maybe the vendors actually have some money for a change.

Last edited by jon-w9; 05-24-06 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was nervous since the download says it's for thief-based characters. That's really not my character so I went ahead and bought it......and if I can't do it now very well with my guy then I will make a new one that has better thief skills.
Old 05-22-06, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by karnblack
This sounds like the download you're looking for.

Your exactly right!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11005/...e-Thieves-Den/

I didnt realize it at first, but this is the one I have been annticipating! The one with the pirate ship!!!!

I do however have the same reservations that "MasterOfDvd" has. My character is a BIGTIME goody two shoes, I have advanced a good chunk of the way into the game, and I have not touched the DB or Thieves guild quests. (I don't want my mage and fighters guild brethern to disown me)
Old 05-22-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't even start the mission so this might be a real chore. I set the new quest as my active quest and I made it out to the area of the map but can't find how to progress any. There is a mine, Infected Mine I believe, near where the marker is and I got confused and did that whole area thinking it would lead me to the ship. I made it the whole way to the end of the mine and got pretty much nothing. I'm in the process of looking around for help.

Edited To Add:
Turns out I'm a moron and went toward the wrong marker. I wonder why I set a marker way out around nothing. Oh well.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 05-22-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 02:56 PM

This question might sound WAY out there so bare with me....

Is the Horse armor pack worth getting if I dont use a horse?

Let me explain. A while back either in this thread or in "Part 1" someone mentioned one of the downloads (it was not the horse one) was a good download but the main point of the pack was not what he liked about it, he actually liked the fact that you got a bunch of "extras" with it. More checkpoints on the map, different items, ect ect. I hope that makes my question a little more sane sounding. Basically I want to know if the horse pack gives you ANYTHING else at all besides the actual horse armor. Thanks
Old 05-23-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was the one who talked about the extras given (checkpoints of some bandit camps) and that was from the Orrery pack. The horse armor pack is just horse armor and looks kind of stupid. The Orrerry is just ok. The Wizard Tower is awesome. I haven't checked out the new thief one yet.
Old 05-23-06, 06:06 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I was the one who talked about the extras given (checkpoints of some bandit camps) and that was from the Orrery pack. The horse armor pack is just horse armor and looks kind of stupid. The Orrerry is just ok. The Wizard Tower is awesome. I haven't checked out the new thief one yet.
Did you get the regular or elven armor? I thought the elven horse armor looked very stylish on my painted horse... which, sadly, was killed by some daedra while I was clearing one of the city oblivion gates.
Old 05-23-06, 06:12 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I don't quite understand something.

I got hit with something in a cave that reduced my strength.
I tried a potion of dispel, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of cure disease, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of cure poison, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of restore strength, nothing.

I ended up going to church, but I guess I haven't been cursed, poisoned, or diseased?
If any of your attributes (strength, intelligence, wisdom, etc) are "permanently" reduced, then you need a spell or potion that will Restore the particular attribute. Or you can go to a church.

Dispel is for currently active spells on you...like if someone has weakness to fire cast on you, casting dispell will make it wear off more quickly.

Disease is for diseases...like the stuff that you get when the zombies and rats hit you sometimes.

Poison is for potion effects I believe.

For spell and poison and disease (not sure about diseases, actually...I think it depends) you can tell what you need to use by going to the spell tab on you character screen and then going to the last page of the spell section...it details all current affects (like the above, plus bonuses to skills or attributes).

Finally...are you sure it wasn't a "fortify" strength potion? Because Restore strength should have worked.
Old 05-23-06, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info!

I hate to keep being a pain in the butt about this, but I have one other question. How do you get the horse armor? When you buy the download is the armor litteraly just handed over to you, or do you have to go through a cave or fort and fight some bad guys for it?
Old 05-23-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blade
Did you get the regular or elven armor? I thought the elven horse armor looked very stylish on my painted horse... which, sadly, was killed by some daedra while I was clearing one of the city oblivion gates.
I guess i wasn't clear - i thought it looked dumb and never bought that particular download. Honestly i hate the horses and found it way more difficult to navigate the countryside on horseback than on foot - plus i collect every plant i come across and horseback made that more difficult. I did somehow lose my cool black horse though - he is stabled in some city and every time i warp somewhere it gives me the lame slow brown and white horse from the priory instead of my faster cool black horse. The horses also infuriated me by not avoiding monsters - i would jump off my horse to fight something and the damn thing would run up and attack something else and get itself almost killed. Then i would take a slightly too steep slope and somehow the horse would take damage that my character walking would have navigated safely. Very odd.
Old 05-23-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
Thanks for the info!

I hate to keep being a pain in the butt about this, but I have one other question. How do you get the horse armor? When you buy the download is the armor litteraly just handed over to you, or do you have to go through a cave or fort and fight some bad guys for it?
I can answer this for the other 2 downloads The Orrerry has like 5 camps you have to clear to assemble it. The tower is just handed over to you... and once again it is a must download in my book - especially if you haven't beaten the mages guild storyline. The tower lets you enchant things, make your own spells, boosts your alchemy skill with an alchemist table, provides a large garden of ingredients for potions, and teleports to every city with a mages guild. This is handy since when you are a vampire and haven't fed recently and are sensitive to the light you can't fast travel - but you can use the teleports and get a nice snack in the mages guild.
Old 05-23-06, 09:05 PM

I can answer this for the other 2 downloads The Orrerry has like 5 camps you have to clear to assemble it. The tower is just handed over to you... and once again it is a must download in my book - especially if you haven't beaten the mages guild storyline. The tower lets you enchant things, make your own spells, boosts your alchemy skill with an alchemist table, provides a large garden of ingredients for potions, and teleports to every city with a mages guild. This is handy since when you are a vampire and haven't fed recently and are sensitive to the light you can't fast travel - but you can use the teleports and get a nice snack in the mages guild.

Thanks!!
Old 05-24-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Pirate Ship download is ok but it doesn't compare to The Tower at all in my book.

I also HATE the fact that you can't fast travel in to certain buildings like the houses you buy and the downloadable add ons. It's just stupid. You can fast travel near the Tower but then I have to run my guy up to the building to get it. It would be a waste of time if I didn't jump the whole way there and use that time to build up my guy.
Old 05-24-06, 05:01 PM
Uber Member

For the horse armor, you have to go to the stables outside the Imperial City. You get the first set free, and you can buy additional sets any time thereafter for any new horses you buy. I think it's 500 gold, but I may be wrong.

Also, just to add to miyu's post on the Tower...you also need to buy some supplies before the spell and enchantment stands will work. But the "letter" you get about the Tower is pretty clear about all this stuff.
Old 05-24-06, 05:05 PM
Uber Member

I guess i wasn't clear - i thought it looked dumb and never bought that particular download. Honestly i hate the horses and found it way more difficult to navigate the countryside on horseback than on foot - plus i collect every plant i come across and horseback made that more difficult. I did somehow lose my cool black horse though - he is stabled in some city and every time i warp somewhere it gives me the lame slow brown and white horse from the priory instead of my faster cool black horse. The horses also infuriated me by not avoiding monsters - i would jump off my horse to fight something and the damn thing would run up and attack something else and get itself almost killed. Then i would take a slightly too steep slope and somehow the horse would take damage that my character walking would have navigated safely. Very odd.
Well horses have 4 legs and weigh much more than you do.

No, I agree that the horses are a bit of a pain. But once you have one, when you fast travel to anywhere that's not a city you'll see your horse. And especially before you've visited much of the map, it is a little faster to use a horse.

One interesting thing I learned about the horse you get doing the Dark Brotherhood quest...it can't die, but it can become unconscious. If you attack it until it's unconscious you can then open the horse's inventory and add items to it. Nice way to hold stuff if you get overburdenned. Also, no SPCA in Oblivion.
Old 05-24-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I finally finished the Dark Brotherhood storyline and I agree that it's the best one in the game. I've finished the Mages Guild, the Fighter's Guild, the Thieve's Guild, and the main storyline as well. Now I just have miscellaneous quests to complete. After that I'll probably download some mods and also try creating some myself.
Old 05-24-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now i wish i could find my stupid DB horse that somehow got stabled somewhere. I wonder if you have multiple horses and fast travel if all the stabled horses come with you...
Old 05-24-06, 09:21 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Yeah, DB was definitely the best, the quests were more fun than anything else.

They should make a DB spinoff game.
Old 05-26-06, 12:57 PM

I'm maxed at level 39

Originally Posted by Vryce
Also, you can go beyond the max level. I've read numerous accounts of people going to jail hoping they lose some points in their major skills. If they do, then they can increase them again and thus should go beyond the level 50 max.
As soon as one of my major attributes hit 100 my "Progress to next level" bar doesn't advance anymore. The only attribute at 100 is my strength but I can't level anymore.
Old 05-26-06, 02:40 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by uncanuck
As soon as one of my major attributes hit 100 my "Progress to next level" bar doesn't advance anymore. The only attribute at 100 is my strength but I can't level anymore.
Strength is an attribute. Attributes don't have anything to do with getting you to the next character level.

You need to concentrate on your Major SKills. You have seven of them, but if you're always doing the same things in the game, you may not be doing things to get some of your other major skills to level up. For example, if you always use Destruction type spells (fire, frost, electricity, etc.) to fight, your Destruction skill may already be at 100...if you don't use any of your other major skills, then while you still can level up, you won't.

Check your skills page. Check out the first seven skills listed and start doing things that will cause them to increase and you'll keep leveling up (like Blade requires you to kill monsters with a sword...blunt is the same but with an axe or mace....sneak requires that you use sneak mode when someone/thing is around to potentially detect you).

While it does take longer to level up as each skill reaches 100, it can still happen. I have several skills and attributes at 100 and my character is still capable of leveling up.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-06, 03:20 PM

Woo Hoo, I just got my used, pristine copy of Oblivion that I bought on EBay for
Old 05-26-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=mrpayroll]Woo Hoo, I just got my used, pristine copy of Oblivion that I bought on EBay for

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.