Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC
What items should you pick up and what should you pass on? I pick up everthing but then get overencumbered real quick. Should I ignore mugs, cups, bones and just pick up weapons and vegies?
Always pick up a paintbrush. Very worthwhile.
Old 05-02-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
no doubt. Nothing is worse than having my Painter/Thief/Mage set up his booth on the streets where he paints goofy caricature pictures of tourists for 2GP, only to find that he's out of paintbrushes
Old 05-02-06, 01:30 PM

I believe Easy was being serious about the paintbrushes
Old 05-02-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just having some (lightly attempted) fun with it. I understand people use the floating paintbrushes as steps and all that
Old 05-02-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to admit that Thieving is far less satisfying in Oblivion. When you can make more money just taking stuff from the guild you're with, it doesn't make much sense to steal.

But, for DAC:
If you need to steal to make a quick buck, hit up shops after about 2AM. The best ones are the Jewelry Shop in the Imperial City and the book shop.

As always, pack some scrolls, items, or potions with "Feather" (or learn this Alteration-based spell). Having another 50 pts or so means you can carry another thousand in gold at least.

Items by Weight.
If you're in it for the capital, there's a very easy way to determine what to pick up and what to drop, if you're someone that doesn't like traveling endlessly between a dungeon and a town to sell what you've found. At the beginning of the game, anything worth less than 10 gold ($) per feather (lb.) shouldn't be picked up unless you can sell it very soon.

Some example items, not exact:

Silver plate. 5 gold, 1 feather = $5/lb. An OK item only if you're still level 1.
Armored boots. 100 gold, 10 feather = $10/lb. A bit better
Glass Boots. 800 gold, 8 feather = $100/lb. One of the best items to find commonly (once you're in that level).
Scroll of Fire Spell, 80 gold, 0.1 feather. Looks crappy but math tells us it's $800/lb.
Jewelry, especially enchanted jewelry, will often reach $1000s per lb.

Daedric weapons? Except for the dagger pretty worthless. Sure they're 2000 gold a piece, but they weigh a lot. You're better off carrying a lot of potions and selling those.
Old 05-02-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally finished the cure vampirism quest and got rid of my taste for blood. I found it to be a real hassle traveling at night all the time. The bonuses are nice but, I like the convenience of moving around on my own time.
Old 05-02-06, 02:11 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
How in the Hell do you keep your horse from walking off? I stole a perfectly good 5,000gp horse, and 15 seconds after I got off, he was gone, and I couldn't find him. I just started the game, so I'm pretty green at all this...maybe I'm missing something??
The Prior horse mentioned earlier is loaned to you during the first mission or two when doing the main quest. If you want a horse, just start the main quest and you'll have one fairly soon.
Old 05-02-06, 02:19 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by DAC
What items should you pick up and what should you pass on? I pick up everthing but then get overencumbered real quick. Should I ignore mugs, cups, bones and just pick up weapons and vegies?
I pick up anything worth a good number of gp. When inventory gets full, I start discarding things on a weight to value basis...the heavier it is, it goes, especially if it means I'll be able to carry more items whose value will add up to more than the single heavy item. As you progress through the game, you'll need to start taking into consideration the resell caps. Vendors have a per item cap that ranges from about 10gp to a max of 1200gp (this can be increased by 500gp when you can get your Mercantilism skill up to 100...fortify skill spells work for this). So if you find a deadric curiass for 4000gp and a deadric greaves for 2000, and you only have room for one, taking the greaves is a no brainer since you won't get more for either one and the greaves weigh probably a third of the curiass. Even if the greaves were only worth 1000gp, they're still a better bet as you can carry three of them, sell them seperately, and make even more.
Old 05-02-06, 02:32 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by jon-w9
Ok, in sneak mode I get 3x with my bow, and when I sneak up on rats I get 6x with my fist, but when I sneak up on somebody with my sword I was only getting 1x.

Was I using the wrong kind of sword? I think it was a sword of embers, a long-sword w/ fire damage.

Also, I am up to level 11, but still using steel arrows. Is there a place I can buy some better ones? I have like 6 silver and 12 of the next level, but I would like more, since in a cave you lose a lot.
The damage you do is based on the type of attack and the level of your sneak skill:
Found this through google:

Novice:
When undetected in Sneak mode, one-handed and hand-to-hand attacks deal 4x damage, bow attacks deal 2x damage.
Apprentice:
When undetected in Sneak mode, one-handed and hand-to-hand attacks deal 6x damage, bow attacks deal 3x damage.
Journeyman:
No penalty to detection chance when wearing boots.
Expert:
No penalty to detection chance for moving while in Sneak mode.
Master:
Opponent is considered to have no armor when struck while undetected and in Sneak mode.

Perhaps you were using a two handed sword?

Arrows...might try looking for bandits in camps in the countryside. Lately, for me at least, quiet a few of them have been archers. You already tried the shops? Also, when you hit level 12, you should start seeing Glass level arrows. That should make the Silver and Dwarven arrows more common too.
Old 05-02-06, 02:39 PM
Uber Member

Question: Does using a more powerful spell increase my skill faster then a lot of weak ones? For example I have a weak restore that it 8hp for 14 magica. I have more powerful spell that is 25hp for 45 or so magic. Which should I use to increase my skills the fastest.

I have night eye for my kajiit, does this spell not add to my skills?
Yes, but not by a lot. The higher magicka req. of the more powerful spells means you either have to wait to cast, or waste magicka restore potions or w. crystals.

Best way to check is to just count how many castings it takes to go up a level. There is a sort of diminishing returns that can be offset by using higher level spells, but, as I mentioned, the higher magicka cost kind of outweighs the benefit.

Becareful about powerleveling though. The monsters/people you fight are tied in various ways to your character level. If you level up quickly without getting the better weapons/items/armor/spells you'd have gotten if leveling normally, you can find yourself having a lot of trouble defeating the bad guys all of a sudden. FYI, increasing your non-major skills has no effect on your character level.
Old 05-02-06, 02:41 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by Easy
Just did a search on this. Very funny and interesting!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-06, 02:49 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by The Bus
As always, pack some scrolls, items, or potions with "Feather" (or learn this Alteration-based spell). Having another 50 pts or so means you can carry another thousand in gold at least.
FYI, the different feather spells stack, so if you have the spells or find scrolls, you can do Ease Burden (50, 4minutes), Lighten Load (75, 5min), Pack Mule (150, 5min.) for a total increase of 275 in carrying capacity.

There's also a Beast of Burden which gives you 250 for 6 minutes, but you have to be at 100 in alteration to cast it.

Feather scrolls are nice, but fast travel far enough and they'll wear off and you're stuck if you don't have more scrolls. If you're in town, it should be ok to drop stuff and just come back for it, but I wouldn't drop anything you planned to keep.
Old 05-02-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Blade
Do you have the glass helm? I just saw one for the first time last night. It's increadibly goofy looking.

The Deadric Helm, however, looks really evil, especially if you have a Dark Elf w/red eyes. Unfortunately, it's heavy armor. (Which can limit spell effectiveness.)
Yeah, the glass helm is kinda goofy looking, and the constant night eye effect can get annoying, but hey, it's easy to find at an extremely early level, and it allows you to breathe underwater...
Old 05-02-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want to get into thieving, but the payoff seems small.
I mean I need go break into a shop and look aroung for something good, then fence it. Most shops I tend to go into do really have magic weapons or enchanted armor I am looking for, so is the point the bit of money, or are you looking for items to assist you in the game?
I enjoy thieving to round out the gold to buy houses, spells, etc. Also you need to fence 1k worth of stuff in the thieves guild storyline which gets you a particularly useful item when you complete it. The thieves reward has been the handiest thing in the game for me so far with its crime-free ability, intrinsic feather, and intrinsic detect life.
Old 05-02-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I just need to find better places to steal from. I was looking into stealing for the potential upgrades. I guess I could find the jewelery store and make some money.

What is the deal with woll-o-wisps? Am I going to see them everywhere now? I was on the road to Kvatch and came across Fyrelight cave. I had to kill1 of them to get a chest with 12 gold, then went to another entrance and there were 2 more, I killed 1, but the other chased me back to town, killing everything in its path. How am I supposed to kill them? I can use my arrows, but that only works when sneaking.

Along the same lines, do caves regenerate? Do enemies return and chests refill?

Last edited by jon-w9; 05-02-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just did a search on this. Very funny and interesting!

Thanks!
Is the the
Spoiler:
steps to the useless sword
or somethng else?
Old 05-03-06, 05:04 PM
Uber Member

What is the deal with woll-o-wisps? Am I going to see them everywhere now? I was on the road to Kvatch and came across Fyrelight cave. I had to kill1 of them to get a chest with 12 gold, then went to another entrance and there were 2 more, I killed 1, but the other chased me back to town, killing everything in its path. How am I supposed to kill them? I can use my arrows, but that only works when sneaking.

Along the same lines, do caves regenerate? Do enemies return and chests refill?
Wisps are a bitch. You need magical weapons (some say silver works good, but it didn't do that much when I tried), but I think ranged magic spells are much better. And you need to keep moving because they'll drain your health to heal themselves.

They are somewhat level dependent though, so once you level up a few more times you'll start seeing different monsters. If you're really desperate, reload a saved game from before you see the wisp. This may generate a different monster.

As for the caves/enemies/chests...yes to all except for boss creatures, and there aren't quite as many enemies the second time around. Chests not only refil, but I think the locked ones refill with stuff that's equivalent to your current level. This is based on my own experience with going back to a dungeon that I first visited when I started the game, and returned to at around 125 hours of gameplay, so your mileage may vary.
Old 05-03-06, 05:08 PM
Uber Member

Is the the
Spoiler:
steps to the useless sword
or somethng else?
No, and not really a spoiler, more like a weird glitch in the game:
Spoiler:
It seems that if you pick up and then drop a paintbrush it hangs in mid air. On top of that, you can jump on top of the paint brush and then drop another one, then jump on top of that one and so on, creating a staircase of paint brushes.

The thread I found had pics of someone climbing to the top of the white tower in the center of the Imperial City and a written report by someone who'd done it to climb over a walll while in a city...the landscape was nonexistant except for grass, but he could still see stuff in the distance, and towns would disappear when he got too close to them. Weird, wild stuff.
Old 05-03-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wisps are a bitch. You need magical weapons (some say silver works good, but it didn't do that much when I tried), but I think ranged magic spells are much better. And you need to keep moving because they'll drain your health to heal themselves.

They are somewhat level dependent though, so once you level up a few more times you'll start seeing different monsters. If you're really desperate, reload a saved game from before you see the wisp. This may generate a different monster.

As for the caves/enemies/chests...yes to all except for boss creatures, and there aren't quite as many enemies the second time around. Chests not only refil, but I think the locked ones refill with stuff that's equivalent to your current level. This is based on my own experience with going back to a dungeon that I first visited when I started the game, and returned to at around 125 hours of gameplay, so your mileage may vary.
I found some frost arrows, to go with my fire bow. I can kill them in 3-4 shots, if they don't spot my sneak. It is just when they gang up on me that sucks. I got through the cave (nothing worth the struggle ) because 1 wisp followed me out and back to town.
Old 05-08-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rented this game from BB this week after getting my 360. It's fun, but a little overwhelming. It's defintely "perty" but I think I'm used to KOTR's interface, way of leveling up, and way to equip yourself with weapons and armor. Once things for sure, 5 day rentals isn't enough to do much. I should become a part of some service like gamefly or something. I have 2 days left on the rental and I've only acheived 4 out of 50 acheivements. Good times.
Old 05-08-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I rented this game from BB this week after getting my 360. It's fun, but a little overwhelming. It's defintely "perty" but I think I'm used to KOTR's interface, way of leveling up, and way to equip yourself with weapons and armor. Once things for sure, 5 day rentals isn't enough to do much. I should become a part of some service like gamefly or something. I have 2 days left on the rental and I've only acheived 4 out of 50 acheivements. Good times.
Try the Arena in the main city. You move through that one pretty quick because you don't have to go get stuff for people. Just fighting.
Old 05-08-06, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by edstein
Try the Arena in the main city. You move through that one pretty quick because you don't have to go get stuff for people. Just fighting.
I reached Brawler status but then I got to a point where I had to fight 2 guys. Too powerful for me, but I'm going to try again today after I buy some more spells. I used the unlimited money bug since I'm not going to have long to play it in the first place.
Old 05-08-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I reached Brawler status but then I got to a point where I had to fight 2 guys. Too powerful for me, but I'm going to try again today after I buy some more spells. I used the unlimited money bug since I'm not going to have long to play it in the first place.
Ok I'll finally crack, I've tried avoid that bug to be fair, but I really need some coin. Is there an easy explanation as to how to do that I could find?
Old 05-08-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the arena poisoning your weapon remains king. Paralyzing, draining health, etc. tears up - until you get to the Argonian. Then picks up after that.
Old 05-08-06, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Ok I'll finally crack, I've tried avoid that bug to be fair, but I really need some coin. Is there an easy explanation as to how to do that I could find?
I'm not sure how to link it, but it's in page 11 or 12 of the original thread. Just use the search function for oblivion and read the locked thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.