Old 12-04-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting ... 360 Storage Space
Old 12-05-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteelgearX
Funny, cause I'd NEVER pay for any of those anyways...
He was just being helpful to people that actually pay for them...no need to bash.

However, Anyone use a CUSTOM background for your dashboard. you can take any personal picture and use it as the background...although, each blade has the same pic, still kinda cool. I'm just trying to figure out the correct size needed.
Old 12-05-05, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
He was just being helpful to people that actually pay for them...no need to bash.

However, Anyone use a CUSTOM background for your dashboard. you can take any personal picture and use it as the background...although, each blade has the same pic, still kinda cool. I'm just trying to figure out the correct size needed.
If you plug in your digital camera, all you have to do is hit the X button and it sets the picture you were looking at as your background. What is even better, is that if you make multiple profiles on your hard drive, each profile can have a different picture for their background. I have a picture of my son and I for my profile and if I log out and log in a friend of mine, a picture of him comes up. Pretty neat.
Old 12-05-05, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Interesting ... 360 Storage Space
Well, that is interesting.

According to Game Informer, nearly every developer they talked to at X05 expressed difficulties fitting their launch titles onto a single disc. One unnamed yet “highly anticipated” game in particular is said to currently occupy a full four 9Gb DVDs.
I guess that answers the question "do we need a next generation DVD?". The obvious solution is either real-time decompression from the disc - taking up processor cycles - or loading it on a hard drive - alienating those who purchased the Core system.

I expected to see this problem come up, but not at launch!
Old 12-05-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought compression was a well known problem. That is why EA probably gave us stripped down versions of games. I cannot read the article at work, but I will when I get home.
Old 12-05-05, 09:39 AM
Banned

I thought compression was a well known problem. That is why EA probably gave us stripped down versions of games. I cannot read the article at work, but I will when I get home.
For DJ:

We’d figured as early as February that Microsoft would forgo placing a next-gen optical drive in the Xbox 360 for a myriad of acceptable reasons, but we couldn’t help but keep the nagging issue of disc space from lingering in the back of our minds. From the high-res textures fit for an HDTV to the higher polygon counts befitting a next-gen console, the space available on standard DVDs is suddenly in increasingly short supply. So far we’ve yet to see an Xbox 360 game take up more than a single disc, but if the most recent issue of Game Informer is any indication, Microsoft may soon be sweating their decision to pass up on a next-gen storage format.

The issue takes an in-depth look at all the features of the Xbox 360, and while GI is generally quite taken with the 360’s performance, functionality, and especially its controller, they unearth some unsettling details regarding the console’s diminuitive storage capacity. According to Game Informer, nearly every developer they talked to at X05 expressed difficulties fitting their launch titles onto a single disc. One unnamed yet “highly anticipated” game in particular is said to currently occupy a full four 9Gb DVDs. Elder Scrolls IV immediately jumps to mind [UPDATE: or perhaps not, duuur], but any of those Japanese RPGs that Microsoft is always touting are also likely candidates. Microsoft’s J Allard downplayed the storage issues, citing that improved compression rates in the future will allow much more data to be held on an individual disc, and that the pre-launch crunch forced many current 360 titles to use space far more inefficiently than they would have otherwise.

Microsoft has already hinted that a future add-on may be developed to allow the 360 to handle high-def movies, but that the device would be unrelated to gaming. Should the status quo remain unchanged, that means that Xbox 360 owners will be stuck with standard DVD media until at least the next console generation, circa 2010. And, obviously, just because a title is relegated to multiple discs doesn’t mean that it can’t be a great game—just look at Final Fantasy VII. But in this modern era, will consumers still put up with swapping discs mid-play? Games which are linear, such as Halo, may have little to lose by opting for a multi-disc format, but games which are, er… cubic, such as Grand Theft Auto, may take a significant hit in their ease of playability. All told, did Microsoft make the right decision when choosing the 360’s optical drive? If not, would they risk segmenting their fanbase by releasing a newer, HD-DVD enabled box in the future?
Old 12-05-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Well, that is interesting.

I guess that answers the question "do we need a next generation DVD?". The obvious solution is either real-time decompression from the disc - taking up processor cycles - or loading it on a hard drive - alienating those who purchased the Core system.

I expected to see this problem come up, but not at launch!
I vote for "alienate those who purchased the Core System." Anyone else?
Old 12-05-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for posting the article...I'm sure compression rates will get better, but I can also see them releasing multiple disc games. Some may load content ont he HD...but as that alienates CORE users, they may have to put a "Hard-Drive Required" on the game.
Old 12-05-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I vote for "alienate those who purchased the Core System." Anyone else?
I'm with you. It isn't like they are shipping 360s to stores anyway. Abandon the Core now while there are only a few thousand people that bought them. Those that did are the hardcore gamers that wanted it on launch day and will buy a hard drive anyway.
Old 12-05-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for posting the article...I'm sure compression rates will get better, but I can also see them releasing multiple disc games. Some may load content ont he HD...but as that alienates CORE users, they may have to put a "Hard-Drive Required" on the game.
Sorry I didn't post the article in the first place DJ. It was late and I probably had no idea what I was doing.
Old 12-05-05, 04:46 PM

I don't see how stating my opinion is bashing, but whatever.
Old 12-06-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, now that the launch games have died down a bit, what games are people REALLY excited for?
I have Gears of War, Ghost Recon 3, Oblivion and The Outfit on pre-order. Also looking forward to Dead Rising and Saint's Row, and possibly Crackdown

I still want some of the launch games, but I'm at a lost of what I want. I know people want to get me a few for X-mas, but I have most I want...oh well.
Old 12-06-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe most people are REALLY excited for another round of systems to be available so they can play the launch titles!!
Old 12-06-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, now that the launch games have died down a bit, what games are people REALLY excited for?
I have Gears of War, Ghost Recon 3, Oblivion and The Outfit on pre-order. Also looking forward to Dead Rising and Saint's Row, and possibly Crackdown

I still want some of the launch games, but I'm at a lost of what I want. I know people want to get me a few for X-mas, but I have most I want...oh well.
I'm still super excited for Full Auto and Chromehounds. Wardevil also for some reason.
Old 12-06-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah i want full auto too just to kick martin5's ass. it will be so awesome to kill him in high def.
Old 12-06-05, 07:09 PM

they added the X-men 3 teaser trailer in HD on marketplace.
Old 12-07-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool, new stuff to D/L...always a nice addition. Although, my INHD channel runs a show called IN-Theaters that shows movie previews in HD.
Old 12-07-05, 08:05 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

That X3 trailer is really nice. Watched it last night.
Old 12-07-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for anyone who is using a wireless router, what brand/model # are you using and how is it working? any dropoffs or anything? I'm currently looking to go wireless since my AT&T router only has a single port and I have to disconnect my pc in order to plug in my 360 which is becoming a nuisance.
Old 12-07-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use a wireless router but my XBOX is hardwired into one of the ethernet ports. I had a D-LINK DI-624 and it was JUNK.

I have a Netgear working fine right now, but I still may get a Linksys WRT54G for X-mas. (I asked for it, but I might just keep the Netgear)
Old 12-07-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the reply. I'm actually thinking of getting that exact router(Linksys). I just picked up a 360 wireless adapter at Kmart for 50.00 and want to get to using it asap.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 12-07-05 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-05, 12:11 PM

If you don't get one of these Faceplates you're a tool!!! Link

LMAO now who do I make my check out to?
Old 12-07-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
If you don't get one of these Faceplates you're a tool!!! Link

LMAO now who do I make my check out to?
I'm speechless. I don't know who would buy that, but it's still awesome!
Old 12-07-05, 07:22 PM

I don't think there is any way in hell that the thing is real but I'm hoping someone buys it
Old 12-08-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has anyone seen this yet?

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...MEDIA-XBOX.xml

um huh a gold face plate, just remember folks there are no stupid ideas just stupid people. i say we all blame strangehate, he probably painted some faceplate gold and trying to sell it as an "import" or something. lord knows if i had that much extra gold laying around i would have made something way cooler. like a gold c3po.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 12-08-05 at 03:02 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.