Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Discussion Thread (9.3 @ IGN)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Discussion Thread (9.3 @ IGN)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pricematched BB from the CompUSA ad. They gave the 10% with no problem. They did not have any guides however.
Old 03-21-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping to get mine at GameRush today....
Old 03-21-06, 01:00 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Damn it.. I think I found a glitch in the game. And one that is going to make me have to start over, or at least try a save point.

I'm at the part
Spoiler:
after the Emperor is killed. I have the amulet and the guard tells me what to do. there is a gate blocking some stairs, where I assume I have to go, as there is no other way. It says press A to open the gate. Nothing happens when I press A.

Am I missing something?

NM. I found where I was supposed to go. That was a little tricky.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 03-21-06 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 01:02 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember you have to get the key to the sewers from the guard. then it loads the sewers part.

once more to keep it on the main page of this thread

cool Oblivion gameplay video:
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...G2PDWGE8LPGQ0K
Old 03-21-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I pricematched BB from the CompUSA ad. They gave the 10% with no problem. They did not have any guides however.
So, you used the 10% off coupon after the pricematch? I have both, but wasnt sure if they would do that.
Old 03-21-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just went and picked up my copy from EBX...they had over 70 copies, the collectors edition was sold out on pre-orders and they were hesitant to give me a copy of the regular because I didn't pre-order. And when I left there was a line about 8 deep picking up copies. Crazy...
Old 03-21-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
So, you used the 10% off coupon after the pricematch? I have both, but wasnt sure if they would do that.
If you buy a game, go up to the BB customer service counter and show them a lower price, they'll pricematch plus 10% of the difference.

Unfortunately, as I suspected Compusa is not only getting single digit copies of this game at most stores, they may not even get it in today, meaning I have to be lucky at BB and hope they don't call...
Old 03-21-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
Damn it.. I think I found a glitch in the game. And one that is going to make me have to start over, or at least try a save point.

I'm at the part
Spoiler:
after the Emperor is killed. I have the amulet and the guard tells me what to do. there is a gate blocking some stairs, where I assume I have to go, as there is no other way. It says press A to open the gate. Nothing happens when I press A.

Am I missing something?

NM. I found where I was supposed to go. That was a little tricky.
Spoiler:
lol I had a problem at that part too, the reason was because the guy gives you a key so you assume you're supposed to go through the only door you know of right??
Old 03-21-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you buy a game, go up to the BB customer service counter and show them a lower price, they'll pricematch plus 10% of the difference.

Unfortunately, as I suspected Compusa is not only getting single digit copies of this game at most stores, they may not even get it in today, meaning I have to be lucky at BB and hope they don't call...
Oh, I was talking about the bestbuybuzz 10% off video game coupon....I wonder if they would take it.
Old 03-21-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Best Buy have the game guide?
yes, but at my local BB it wasn't with the other guides, it was with the 360 games. I grabbed the game from a table up front where they always have Tuesday releases, then went to the game guide section and it wasn't there, so I was just about to leave when I saw another customer with the guide in his hand. That's when I went to check the section where they have the 360 games, and they had 4 or 5 guides left.
Old 03-21-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
So is this going to be one of those games that's hard to find for the first couple of weeks after its initial release?

I don't want to get this until Friday afternoon but if EB or Gamestop is going to likely sell out of copies prior to then I'll try to pick one up this evening after school. I've got a couple of games that I'd like to trade in towards this one so I'm counting on going to one of those places when I get this.
Old 03-21-06, 01:55 PM

Oh, I was talking about the bestbuybuzz 10% off video game coupon....I wonder if they would take it.
Rock you need to get going dude it's late in the game on Tuesday now, even if you could've found a guide you may not now.

Although I have a secret for you
Spoiler:
Barnes and Noble has them
keep that on the down low.
Old 03-21-06, 02:39 PM
Mok

I went to EB in the mall and they had about 20 copies and 10 copies of the CE one. I asked the guy for one of the non CE editions and he went to the glass and pulled one out. As he started to ring me up he asked if I had pre ordered it, and I said no. He said sorry man I can't sell it to you these are all for people who pre ordered. I was pretty upset I asked why would you display the games behind the glass for everyone to see if you weren't planning to sell it. He was like ok calm down I will make a exception and sell it to you since everyone who pre orders doesn't pick it up the first day, but next time you better pre order or no go. So he tried to make me put in a pre order for Gears of War, but I was having none of it. He also tried to charge me $3 for protection in case the disc is scratched so they would replace it. This is the last time I shop at EB.
Old 03-21-06, 02:51 PM

I didn't realize stores were selling out of the PC version! I bought/downloaded mine online.

I think the place I bought it from has an affiliate program, is there any way to find out if DVDTalk is a member? I don't want to cause any trouble, can anyone tell me if it's OK to post a non-affiliate link that the mods can update if they're a member of the program?
Old 03-21-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mok
I went to EB in the mall and they had about 20 copies and 10 copies of the CE one. I asked the guy for one of the non CE editions and he went to the glass and pulled one out. As he started to ring me up he asked if I had pre ordered it, and I said no. He said sorry man I can't sell it to you these are all for people who pre ordered. I was pretty upset I asked why would you display the games behind the glass for everyone to see if you weren't planning to sell it. He was like ok calm down I will make a exception and sell it to you since everyone who pre orders doesn't pick it up the first day, but next time you better pre order or no go. So he tried to make me put in a pre order for Gears of War, but I was having none of it. He also tried to charge me $3 for protection in case the disc is scratched so they would replace it. This is the last time I shop at EB.
He's full of hateful, vile shit. Those fuckers do that to trick stupid people into thinking you HAVE to pre-order a game or they're not going to get it. God damn I can't believe how fucking disgusting game stores are these days. It makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 03-21-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
He's full of hateful, vile shit. Those fuckers do that to trick stupid people into thinking you HAVE to pre-order a game or they're not going to get it. God damn I can't believe how fucking disgusting game stores are these days. It makes me sick to my stomach.
Come on Pixy.....tell us all how you really feel.

Old 03-21-06, 03:09 PM
Cool New Member

That $3 disc protection plan is disgusting. What a nice way of them to add $3 more profit to each sell, but of course they are doing it as a favor to you, the wonderful customer. I still shop there on occasion but between this and the preorder everything crap I'm just about done. They offer no service that makes their store any better than the big chains other than early arrival for some games.
Old 03-21-06, 03:10 PM

Hehe I'm one of the "Stupid People" that preorder games, nah just kidding I do preorder them, but only because it's a convenience. They call me when the game comes; I stroll in and pick it up, anytime within 48 hours.......done deal. It is bullshit though that they pressure you into some of this crap the guy tried telling me that the guides would sell out before the game was even released and that I needed to preorder it because I wouldn't be able to find one, I said whatever dude I want it anyhow so go ahead and preorder it..........well what do you know there where like 20 copies of it on the shelf

You're spot on Pixy. I think they need to limit their targets to soccer moms who don't know any better
Old 03-21-06, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_Mckrevis
They offer no service that makes their store any better than the big chains other than early arrival for some games.
That has treated me well two releases in a row now.
Old 03-21-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by blakwngbrd
I didn't realize stores were selling out of the PC version! I bought/downloaded mine online.

I think the place I bought it from has an affiliate program, is there any way to find out if DVDTalk is a member? I don't want to cause any trouble, can anyone tell me if it's OK to post a non-affiliate link that the mods can update if they're a member of the program?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/support.html

Is it in this list?
Old 03-21-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
When I bought GRAW the did the same thing. "Pre-orders insure that you can get it the first day". I always respond, "Yeah, that worked so well for my 360 pre-order"
Old 03-21-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jon-w9
When I bought GRAW the did the same thing. "Pre-orders insure that you can get it the first day". I always respond, "Yeah, that worked so well for my 360 pre-order"
Last time I went to Gamestop to look at DS stuff (when I just got mine) the guy there would not let off my sack.. I was polite at first, as always, "No thanks, I don't really pre-order games," but he went on and on and ON like my life depended on getting some hot game the second it was released or something.. and then went on to tell me that I'd have to pre-order any Nintendo made game because they short ship all their games and that there was a huge Mario Kart DS shortage. I finally opened up and said "Is your life that sad that you need to incessantly lie and deceive someone to make your 25 cents commission? Why is it that a GAME store has such difficulties stocking games when grocery stores like Wal*Mart or Target do it just fine, usually at a sale price, and without the aggravated assault of deception and belittlement? I'm here trying to give you business and you're driving me right out of the door." He meekly apologized and I left. I mean, I'm used to handling that shit (you have to if you frequent these places) but this guy was downright and rudely aggressive about it. I haven't gone back there since, it sucks because the store is in WALKING distance from my apartment.
Old 03-21-06, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Nope, it's not there. I tried to PM you about it but I don't seem to have PM permissions. If you'd like you can IM me about it - my IM is the same as my DVDTalk username. Thanks
Old 03-21-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm with Pixy on this - though it varies store to store.

The GS by my work is great with selling me stuff the day it comes out with no hastle, and they never ask me to pre-order.

The GS by my house, however, absolutely will NOT sell a game to you on it's first day of release UNLESS you have it pre-ordered - even if they have way more copies than pre-orders - that's just the manager's way of getting people to pre-order. And yes, it stinks, so now I just go to the one by my work since they're a lot cooler about that stuff.
Old 03-21-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm with Pixy on this - though it varies store to store.

The GS by my work is great with selling me stuff the day it comes out with no hastle, and they never ask me to pre-order.

The GS by my house, however, absolutely will NOT sell a game to you on it's first day of release UNLESS you have it pre-ordered - even if they have way more copies than pre-orders - that's just the manager's way of getting people to pre-order. And yes, it stinks, so now I just go to the one by my work since they're a lot cooler about that stuff.
I know we discussed this before in another thread... but that's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard. Lets see, if I make it all the way out to a game store, only to be told they can't sell it to me when they have many, many copies available, I'll just take my business elsewhere. They lose the little advantage they have in getting games a day or so early. They're already losing the price battle... and with the recent screw ups with the first come/last served MGS subsistence LE and the 360 launch, why preorder at all?

The only games I can see them doing this with are the small print games that BB and co. don't carry, or the ones that are scarce at launch...

Back to Oblivion: does anyone think the 360 version will be scarce? I don't think I've seen a single 360 game have a shortage since launch... man, maybe I should've preordered...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.