Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Price of Xbox360 and GameBoy Micro announced

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Can someone explain the difference to me between the $300 Xbox 360 and the original Playstation in terms of value? Oh, other than what cost $300 in 1995 would cost $373.25 in 2005.
PSone, PS2 and other $299 launches were pretty much the same. Console, wired controller and AV cable. Pretty standard. With the Playstations you had to buy a memory card as well though the memory cards and extra controllers were cheaper.

I think the problem with the Xbox is the value difference of the two. The $399 console is such an incredible value in comparison to the $299 (make that $339 with must have memory card) one that you would have to be really broke or really stupid not to spend the extra $60 and get the HD cable, HDD, wireless controller, etc.
The core model is such a horrible value in comparison that there is no real reason to even offer it other than to say they launched at $299.

The PSP to use another example makes more sense for some to buy just by itself for $199 if it was offered that way in the US because the things that are extra there are either unneeded or unwanted by some gamers.

I'll state again, the Xbox360 is worth every penny if the software lineup appeals to you. However for that kind of money this thing is your main console and not something you buy just to play a couple of games on.
Old 08-20-05, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain the difference to me between the $300 Xbox 360 and the original Playstation in terms of value? Oh, other than what cost $300 in 1995 would cost $373.25 in 2005.
Value is subjective. What type of value are you refering to, monetary?
Old 08-20-05, 09:57 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flay
Good lord, Josh does spend a boatload of time on DVDTalk. It's a wonder he has any time to actually play video games.
My posting is reflective of having a pretty lax and boring desk job and 95% of my posting is from work. You can get 8 posts a day pretty quickly when stuck at a desk for 8 hours with no risk of getting fired for taking internet breaks a few times a day.

And the bulk of my posts are rarely in this forum. Just when there's a big announcement like this. Most of my posts go to Sports, Movie, DVD and Music forums since those hobbies are all above video games for me now.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-20-05 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-20-05, 10:01 AM
Retired

Guys, dismissing inflation is insane. The SNES cost $300 to own compared to today's currency. I would fairly give it an actual cost of $250 since it did include Mario ($50 value). I'm guessing Josh Hinkle waited until it dropped below $200 ($134) to buy it though. I KEED I KEED.

Not sure on the SNES. I didn't get one at launch as I was too young to work then and had to beg my parents. So it was a couple years later when I finally got one for my birthday. So it probably was $200.

People aren't really dismissing inflation. At least I'm not. I freely acknowledge it. I simpy don't care as I've never paid more than $200, and never will even if it's 2050 and inflation has skyrocketed and I'm worth $50 billion. I'm just no willing to pay more than $200 for video games. I don't enjoy them enough to pay more than that when I could devote the money to my retirment accounts and other hobbies.
Old 08-20-05, 10:04 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I do find it entirely hypocritical that hardcore gamers on this forum would apparently scream blue murder if Square charged $60 for Final Fantasy XII, and yet they probably shelled out $60 ($80-90 in todays money) without even blinking for the SNES versions. $60 is a lot more money when you're a kid too. Of course I'm excusing anyone whos still studying full time and is really on an extremeley tight budget (sounds like there are a few of you), but for anyone on a normal salary, I really don't get it.

Of course many of us may have passed on those $60 cart games. My parents would never buy them when I was a kid, and when I was old enough to buy my old games (say the past 10-12 years) I've never spent more than $50 and rarely now pay more than $20.

So my "tightwadness" applies to games as well as consoles. As you say I'm a full time student (living by myself in the uber expensive DC/baltimore area at that) so I'm on a very tight budget. Factor in, as I've said repeatedly, that games are a few rungs down on my hobby list now and it doesnt' make any sense to be anything other than a super budget conscious gamer.
Old 08-20-05, 10:09 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by darkside
I'll state again, the Xbox360 is worth every penny if the software lineup appeals to you. However for that kind of money this thing is your main console and not something you buy just to play a couple of games on.
Exactly. And for most people the 360 will be tough to label as the main console since Sony has so many third party exclusives locked up and there are many more killer first party games on the PS and nintendo systems.

Really it's just the FPS, racing and Sports gamers who want to play online that can make the X-box their main system.

Next gen really will be like this gen where if you're a hard core gamer you really need the PS and at least one of the others to satisfy your gaming needs.
Old 08-20-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
and never will even if it's 2050 and inflation has skyrocketed and I'm worth $50 billion. I'm just no willing to pay more than $200 for video games.
Never will only cos ur too busy managing ur 50 billion dollar global empire to play games .
Old 08-20-05, 11:53 AM

Exactly, I don't see what all the complaining is about the PS1 came out at $299, ten years later the Xbox 360 premium comes out at 399 includes a HardDrive, HD cables, wireless controller. Yet still people complain!! The PS3 I can say with confident will not be $299 NO WAY!!!!. Nintendo may or may not be $200 for who will pay for the support of their supposed network infrastructure(I don't think the Revolution will be a big jump from the Gamecube to cause a jump in cost)?
Old 08-20-05, 12:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by darkside
PSone, PS2 and other $299 launches were pretty much the same. Console, wired controller and AV cable. Pretty standard. With the Playstations you had to buy a memory card as well though the memory cards and extra controllers were cheaper.

I think the problem with the Xbox is the value difference of the two. The $399 console is such an incredible value in comparison to the $299 (make that $339 with must have memory card) one that you would have to be really broke or really stupid not to spend the extra $60 and get the HD cable, HDD, wireless controller, etc.
The core model is such a horrible value in comparison that there is no real reason to even offer it other than to say they launched at $299.

The PSP to use another example makes more sense for some to buy just by itself for $199 if it was offered that way in the US because the things that are extra there are either unneeded or unwanted by some gamers.

You make some good points. I would argue the PS2 had the value of DVD that many gamers were holding out for because they knew the PS2 would have that, giving it extra value.

So people are mad because MS is making the $400 system such a great value you can't pass it up? If it didn't exist, people would be happier?
Old 08-20-05, 12:05 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Apollo
Exactly, I don't see what all the complaining is about the PS1 came out at $299, ten years later the Xbox 360 premium comes out at 399 includes a HardDrive, HD cables, wireless controller. Yet still people complain!! The PS3 I can say with confident will not be $299 NO WAY!!!!. Nintendo may or may not be $200 for who will pay for the support of their supposed network infrastructure(I don't think the Revolution will be a big jump from the Gamecube to cause a jump in cost)?

I believe the revolution network will just be peer to peer. I could be wrong though.

As for price, that's a fair point. But as I've said repeatedly, it's way out of my league because I'll never pay more than $200 regardless of inflation, useless added features, better graphics, hard drives, etc. Game machines are worth no more than $200 me, PERIOD.

And apparently other people feel the same way, tough most are fine with the $300 price point but not above, gaging by posts on here and other gaming boards.
Old 08-20-05, 12:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Value is subjective. What type of value are you refering to, monetary?
No, a new console that plays video games. In terms of cost, discounting inflation, PS = Xbox 360. The PS sold over 100 million units and obviously wasn't considered a horrible value causing people to vomit bitter bile and assassinate Bill Gates. I'm not sure why the 360 is causing this to happen in people?
Old 08-20-05, 12:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

I can't wait to see the reaction once the PS3 price point is released. Boy Sony sure is keeping that one under wraps.
Old 08-20-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I believe the revolution network will just be peer to peer. I could be wrong though.
NO, If they are going to charge for games it has to to be a centralize system. Peer to Peer would be a nightmare.

While in terms of pricing to each his own or better yet let see in Nov what really happens. I think the premium Xbox 360 will sell like hot cakes, while the core Xbox 360 will sell only after the premiums are gone.
Old 08-20-05, 12:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

I disagree Apollo, they'll both sell equally. Clueless parents will gravitate towards the cheaper unit.
Old 08-20-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So people are mad because MS is making the $400 system such a great value you can't pass it up? If it didn't exist, people would be happier?
Honestly I think everyone would have been happier if the $299 model didn't exist and the HDD was standard on all models.

IMO the $299 unit would be fine if they threw in a memory card and you could be out the door with just that console and a game on launch day. The memory card is the stickler for me because it brings the prices of the two even closer and really kills the need IMO for even having a $299 unit.

I think the $299 units will sell though. People buying gifts may go for the cheaper one not really worrying about the differences other than price. The person receiving the console can add on the stuff themselves.

I personally think the $100 Game Boy Micro is a much bigger rip off than the $299 Xbox360, but again thats my opinion.
Old 08-20-05, 12:18 PM
Retired

You make some good points. I would argue the PS2 had the value of DVD that many gamers were holding out for because they knew the PS2 would have that, giving it extra value.

You're first point kind of answeers yoru second.

People are bitching because they don't see the great value at $400 (a hundred dollar increae over last gen's launch price).

Like you said, the PS2 had the added value of DVD playback (and most casual gamers probably didnt' have DVD players yet, I know several that used their PS2 as their first player). This helped justify the $100 increase over the N64/PSX/DC launch prices as it was a clear added value they wanted.

With the 360 people are seeing just a spiffy X-box with better graphics. Nothing really new adding $100 of value in most people's eyes.

Plus you have the simple fact that each $100 tier gets harder and harder to swallow, and as such the jump from $300 to $400 is much tougher to accept than the one from $200 to $300.
Old 08-20-05, 12:20 PM
Retired

I can't wait to see the reaction once the PS3 price point is released.
As I said before, you'll at least here me bitching just as loudly if sony launches at more than $299.

And you'll hear me bitching even louder if nintendo launches at more than $199.
Old 08-20-05, 12:22 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Apollo
NO, If they are going to charge for games it has to to be a centralize system. Peer to Peer would be a nightmare.
I guess time will tell.

If not peer to peer, they'll probably just do their own servers for their games and make third parties do their own servers for their games. Much like the PS2 online system.

I doubt there will be any kind of central hub or extra features like on X-box live.

From what they want the online experience to be free, easy and focused just on gaming. So I don't expect any frills. Just click play online and it will match you up with someone.
Old 08-20-05, 12:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

The $100 gameboy micro is a novelty. Why it's even coming out I have no idea. They should focus 100% on the DS this winter. I've decided to keep mine so hope they start to forget about GBA platform.
Old 08-20-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 1968, the first desktop scientific calculator sold for $4900. In 2005 they're solar-powered, fit in your pocket, and make a profit at less than $10.

Inflation has little bearing on technology.
Old 08-20-05, 03:19 PM
Retired

Excellent example Breakfast with Girls.
Old 08-20-05, 03:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

I call hyperbole.
Old 08-20-05, 03:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Why is Microsoft being "greedy" in doing what they are doing?
Old 08-20-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think people will accept the PS3 costing $400 or more for two reasons: one, that Sony has a more proven record for success, so people see it as a safer investment than an MS system; and two, the Blu-Ray factor. Blu-Ray players will still cost several hundred dollars when the PS3 is released, and if you can get a cheaper player that also plays games, people who want a Blu-Ray player won't have a problem with the price.
Old 08-20-05, 04:07 PM
Retired

Why is Microsoft being "greedy" in doing what they are doing?
Because they aren't taking the traditional hit that most companies take. Or at least not as big a hit.

I strongly doubt the 360 costs any more to produce than the X-box did when it launched.

The problem is MS's first party games suck, they aren't going to make up loss as easily in game sales and Sony and Nintendo can with their strong first party million sellers.

So it's not greed so much as smart business. But it still sucks for us gamers, regardless of the reasons.

But when you factor in the pricing, not taking the usual hit and MS being one of the biggest, most monopolistic companies in the world, it's easy to see why some through out the greedy moniker.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-20-05 at 04:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.