Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Price of Xbox360 and GameBoy Micro announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdcrym
Please spare me. The "hypothetical" situation you described is based on the "hypothesis" that it will be commonplace for movies to be released on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. My post that you quoted debunked that hypothesis. You can look into which movie studios have signed up to which format if you'd like.

A hypothetical situation is useless if it has no basis in reality.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#bnp

10/2/05

Well... here's a surprise weekend development. Paramount Home Entertainment announced on Sunday morning that it will support Blu-ray Disc in addition to its already announced support for HD-DVD. This makes Paramount the first major Hollywood studio to support BOTH of the rival high-definition disc formats expected to launch in early 2006. You can read more at these links at Video Business and Home Media Retailing. Blu-ray's support in the Sony PS3 was apparently a factor in this decision.

In addition to Paramount's announcement today, there seems to be a feeling in the industry that Warner and Universal may soon follow Paramount's lead in supporting both formats. The move almost certainly gives Blu-ray Disc an advantage in the format war, particularly if Warner and Universal do follow suit.

This is just getting uglier and uglier, isn't it? What's been going on these last few weeks is classic PR brinksmanship by both camps, each trying to intimidate the other into blinking.

You know, I really hope that retailers just come out and say, "We aren't carrying either of these formats until you guys get your crap together."

We'll be back with more tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
[email protected]
Old 10-10-05, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around the Net today, there's some breaking news on the Blu-ray Disc/HD DVD front. Business Week is reporting something that we've been expecting for a couple days now, namely that Warner Home Video is about to announce that they're going to follow Paramount's lead and support BOTH the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc high-definition formats when they debut next year. If this happens, and we expect it will (we also expect Universal to follow suit as well), the writing may be on the wall for HD DVD. All of the major Hollywood studios will have announced support for Blu-ray Disc, while only Paramount, Warner, New Line, HBO and Universal have proclaimed support for HD DVD. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out over the next few days and weeks, but it's definitely a BIG deal (not to mention an interesting development). Stay tuned on that.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa110.html#isl

I just like to rub it in... sorry.