Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendogs Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Practice is the only way to improve. The more you play frisbee the better the dog gets at catching it. I noticed my dog also has started responding quicker when I call him to return the frisbee.

I noticed a couple of things while training today.
Spoiler:
I trained the dog to sit, shake and lie down. While training a light bulb will pop up when the dog understands the command. You can grab that light bulb and feed it to the dog. I also figured out that you should pet the dog everytime they do the trick right (common sense I know) and they will start to do the trick much quicker when you give them the command. A bone will also pop up sometimes when you pet them after a trick and you can grab that and feed it to them as well.
Old 08-23-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
got it today. the TRU near me didn't get the Lab and Friends in, so I got the 5 bucks back on my reserve and put it towards the Dachshund and Friends. its a really neat game so far. unfortunely my Siberian Husky, Esteban won't respond to me calling him. do you have to be on the main selection screen to call the dog or can it be whenever?
Old 08-23-05, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about picking this one up, but I don't really like dogs that much... Heard that there is a Nintencats coming out, so I'm waiting for that one. Does anyone have information about the cat version? All I found was the info that was in the interview on kotaku.com:
Eurogamer: So, er, Nintencats is a real possibility then?

Hideki Konno: To tell the truth, we were already starting to develop a cat-based game at the outset of this project. So we already have the cat models, voice data and so on.
Old 08-24-05, 12:09 AM

On a different note, the last page of the Nintendog instruction book is a big Animal Crossing DS ad. It states up to 4 players via LAN or over the internet. I knew it would be online but the LAN part I didn't, guess it makes sense though. Just FYI.
Old 08-24-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Andie
I was thinking about picking this one up, but I don't really like dogs that much... Heard that there is a Nintencats coming out, so I'm waiting for that one. Does anyone have information about the cat version? All I found was the info that was in the interview on kotaku.com:
First I've heard of it, but my wife should be glad to know.
Old 08-24-05, 07:41 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Wonder what a cat simulation would entail? Watching them sleep all day? Ignoring your commands?
Old 08-24-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

Now that would be an interesting game, heh.
That's a good mock-up.. even the Japanese is correctly changed.
Old 08-24-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Argh! I'm trying to share one cart with my wife (only have one DS anyway). I can afford a second dog, but we're trying to work with one for now. Only problem is that my voice apparently sounds very different from hers, so I have to teach the same tricks with my voice.

I don't know, it's a cute game, sure, and they make sure you can only do so much in one day to make it last longer. But I can see it getting old pretty quickly, unless there's more to it than I'm initially seeing. I'm sure interactivity is a big part of the appeal, though. Can't wait for Animal Crossing!
Old 08-24-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are there any plans for other dog breeds, I would really like a bulldog or pug edition? Still debating on this game, I need to try it, I guess from what I have heard so far, I am unsure what there is to do besides training your dog.
Old 08-24-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The pug breed is included in all three of the games already. I forget which one it is in to start with though. So if you want a pug, it's already available.

You train your dog, and then enter your dog into different contests, and as you continue you unlock all of the breeds, and differen't little toys and stuff, along the way.
Old 08-24-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After a couple of days with this game I have to say its probably the most overrated game in Nintendo history. I'm not totally slamming the game, because it is a fun thing to mess with for a 30 minutes or so a day, but 40/40 from Famitsu? 100% garbage.

The voice recognition is terrible. I hardly think I'm a marble mouth, but you basically can't give any commands that start with the same letter or the dog will confuse them. A simply word like Jump is completely impossible for my dog to figure out. One time it will understand it, the next two times nothing but red ???. The walks, the toys and the contests really don't have much depth and things get repetitive quickly. I'll keep the game and I'll continue to mess with it from time to time, but this game got old in a hurry.

I like the concept and its pretty well done for what it is, but this is not a game that should be the killer app for Nintendo.
Old 08-25-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's supposed to be a "killer app" although it is one of their biggest DS titles yet. If anything it's one of the few games that's really taking advantage of the capabilities of the system.
Old 08-25-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went out looking for DS screen protectors yesterday, and while I was in a GameStop three grown men were talking about Nintendogs.

The guy who works there, another guy in their late 20's, and then me. By looking at any one of us, you could never guess that we'd be talking abou that game. Everywhere I went told me they either sold out of the game very fast, or they were just about to sell out.
Old 08-25-05, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by darkside
After a couple of days with this game I have to say its probably the most overrated game in Nintendo history. I'm not totally slamming the game, because it is a fun thing to mess with for a 30 minutes or so a day, but 40/40 from Famitsu? 100% garbage.

The voice recognition is terrible. I hardly think I'm a marble mouth, but you basically can't give any commands that start with the same letter or the dog will confuse them. A simply word like Jump is completely impossible for my dog to figure out. One time it will understand it, the next two times nothing but red ???. The walks, the toys and the contests really don't have much depth and things get repetitive quickly. I'll keep the game and I'll continue to mess with it from time to time, but this game got old in a hurry.

I like the concept and its pretty well done for what it is, but this is not a game that should be the killer app for Nintendo.
Don't buy a dog with a learning disability next time.
Old 08-25-05, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside

Old 08-25-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
If every dog in the game didn't have one maybe I would. Even the people demonstrating the game at E3 couldn't get their dogs to follow simple commands. If Miyamoto's dog is retarted what hope is there for anyone.

BTW, the voice recognition is a minor issue. It might just be that way so you take longer training the dogs.

I like the game for what it is and continue to train the dog and play the game, but there is just not much depth there and I have no problem being honest about the games issues.

Last edited by darkside; 08-25-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 10:27 AM

I just picked this up as a birthday gift for my girlfriend. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks though and I'm dying to give it a try! I almost gave it to her early just so that I could see it in action...

I picked it up from Circuit City. They're giving away a Nintendogs skin for the DS when you purchase the game (which I believe was already covered by someone else here). It looks pretty cool.
Old 08-25-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what the problem is for you darkside, but my dog follows my commands perfectly. I've been totally blown away by the voice recognition system in this game since it's been working so perfectly for me. Here are some things that I keep in mind when using the voice recognition system, and it's all worked for me:

-When naming tricks and everything, do not always use a single word, especially if more than one of the tricks use the same first letter.

-Remember to say the word as closely as you did when you taught the trick to the dog in the first place.

-Change the mic sensitivity settings, that can help, especially if you have background noise going on.

My dog can tell the difference between sit and shake, and everything else. I'm sorry you are having a rough time with it though.
Old 08-25-05, 10:49 AM

BrentLumkini- I have yet to ue the mic in a DS game and was wondering how sensitive the mic is. You mention changing the settings but is it such an issue that you have to literally hold your DS up to your face? Or is it fine remaining at an arm's distance?

Then again, I'm bound to look silly on the subway either way.
Old 08-25-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a pretty good mic if you ask me. I've been able to play this game an arm's length away from my face, while speaking at a decent volume. Obviously, the closer you bring the system, the softer you can speak.

It can, and will, pick up background noise.
Old 08-25-05, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info.

I would be funny if the volume of your voice produced different results from the dog For example, constantly yelling your commands makes the dog nervous and it grows up to become a nervous wreck.

I wonder if people will follow The Sims route and set out to torture the poor things (if it's at all possible).
Old 08-25-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can torture your dog, sorta. You can toss items at it, hitting them, and they'll whimper and act sad. When you get the pull rope, when playing with your dog, if you move it left and right really fast I hear that it'll toss the dog against the wall.

Just use your evil imagination.

If you are too tough on the puppy, and don't feed it and stuff, it'll run away for a while. I think they always come back eventually though.
Old 08-25-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

-Change the mic sensitivity settings, that can help, especially if you have background noise going on.
I'll have to try that. I have taught it seven tricks so far so its not by any means impossible, but I'll try messing with the mic to see if its a bit easier.

One thing about the dog running away. I've left the system on for awhile while I work on other stuff and if you ignore the dog long enough it will leave the house. It was kind of funny to look down and the dog is gone. It does come back though and its brings stuff on occasion.
Old 08-25-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you are too tough on the puppy, and don't feed it and stuff, it'll run away for a while. I think they always come back eventually though.
What's funny about that is that it will often bring a gift back with it to appease you...

And at least in the in-game manual, it says not to yell too loudly when saying commands to your dog, though I don't think it really matters much.

Can't wait for some Senator to see this game, realize you kind "sort of" abuse dogs on it, and force Nintendo to give it an M rating.
Old 08-25-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is way too awesome. I told my dog to roll over (where it ends up on his it's back), and while in that posistion I told it to chase (chase it's tail), and it did it on it's back, like a crazy Three Stooges thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.