Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've taken to putting on ridculous buyout prices on the high demand herbs right now because the cost in doing so is a few silver. Last week I sold a stack of Dreamfoil for 9g, 19g and 19g. Recently I sold Kingsblood for 15g, typical prices on my server are 6g to 8g. What I think happens is some high level who needs it will purchase everything out of the AH regardless of price because they probably don't care about the $ and need it ASAP. At lvl 34 I already have my money for my mount.
Old 07-25-05, 11:06 AM

Hehe, yep. One of my buddies is only halfway into level 38 and has 120g already from his herbalism/alchemy professions.
Old 07-25-05, 11:49 AM

Where are you farming dreamfoil at level 34??? I have to do the circuit of Azshara and Felwood every few days to keep up with my major mana potion addiction in MC, and neither of those are very level 34 friendly... Or are we just talking the standard buy low/sell high principle that doesn't even need herbalism?
Old 07-25-05, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by hardcore
Where are you farming dreamfoil at level 34??? I have to do the circuit of Azshara and Felwood every few days to keep up with my major mana potion addiction in MC, and neither of those are very level 34 friendly... Or are we just talking the standard buy low/sell high principle that doesn't even need herbalism?
Buy low/sell high

I do farm herbs but am not up to dreamfoil yet. I was hanging around the AH one day and a guy posts WTS Dreamfoil/Sungrass, as usual I immediately whisper to him for the prices. Since it was a lvl 1 alt of another character I figured he was just looking for some quick cash and said 3g per stack. I immediately told him I will take whatever Dreamfoil he had which was 3 stacks and he mentioned that he sold the sungrass already. Because I bought all the stacks off him he gave me a bonus of 17 Mountain Silversage and 20 Blindweed. I then listed a stack of dreamfoil for 9g to recoup costs (only had 15g at the time) and earmarked the rest of the herbs for alchemy later (currently 225 and will become artisan at lvl 35). Later that week I was checking the prices of all the herbs to pick off the low buyouts and bid on the low auctions with high buyouts and noticed there was not a single Dreamfoil listed. I went to the bank and listed each stack of dreamfoil for a 19g buyout. Both sold that night. Realizing that no high level person really cares about the price of herbs when they need them I listed the Blindweed and Silversage at equally ridiculous prices (20g and 18g) and they sold as well. Most recently I have been able to buy at the AH a stack of Kingsblood for 2g and listed at 15g with buyout and was able to sell. All in all that original 9g investment reaped me 85g of which I earmarked 60g to mount and the rest I spent on new herbs as well as equipment.
Old 07-25-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
So is Cenarius still the offical DVDTalk server? Are there any dvdtalkers who are low level, or is everyone 35+? Is there a DVDTalk guild?
Old 07-25-05, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by neiname
Since it was a lvl 1 alt of another character I figured he was just looking for some quick cash and said 3g per stack. I immediately told him I will take whatever Dreamfoil he had which was 3 stacks and he mentioned that he sold the sungrass already. Because I bought all the stacks off him he gave me a bonus of 17 Mountain Silversage and 20 Blindweed.

Good deal! I tend to do the same with most herbs except dreamfoil and icecap. Yeah, it's probably cheaper to sell the herbs and buy the major mana pots, but there's something more satisfying about making your own... Only 200g short buying an epic mount for my second 60.
Old 07-25-05, 03:27 PM

Good deal! I tend to do the same with most herbs except dreamfoil and icecap. Yeah, it's probably cheaper to sell the herbs and buy the major mana pots, but there's something more satisfying about making your own... Only 200g short buying an epic mount for my second 60.
What exactly is a mana pot?
Old 07-25-05, 04:10 PM

Sorry, abbrevation for potion.

Major mana potion restores 1350-2250 mana, and takes 3 dreamfoil and 2 icecap to make. So that's a lot of money that could be made selling herbs if I wasn't making them.
Old 07-25-05, 04:13 PM

Sorry, abbrevation for potion.

Major mana potion restores 1350-2250 mana, and takes 3 dreamfoil and 2 icecap to make. So that's a lot of money that could be made selling herbs if I wasn't making them.
Guess those could be useful in battle, now I am just grinding 2 mobs and drinking nectar to recoup.
Old 07-25-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Someone asked about it a little while ago. All the cloth quartermasters I've found are: Gnome in TinkerTown IF (shop next to mail box), Dwarf next to tailors in Great Forge IF, and the human is in the tailors shop in SW in the mage quarter (upstairs). I think the elf is also in Darnassus in the tailor's shop. Been there, but it's been awhile now.

My guy is 48 IIRC (been a week since I played him so even more rest now). Hoping I may have internet access when I deploy next month but no guarantees and *probably* not high speed if I do get it -- even so, I may as well keep my account active for the small price. ;p
Old 07-25-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've grouped with someone who said they were in Iraq before in the service, usually his ping was very bad (in the 10000's or so) and would disconnect often. Also he would appear to be running in circles sometimes. One particular bad time was when we were just about to fight the Princess in Maraudon, he was a warrior as well, needless to say we wiped lol although she was just on the verge of falling to us, maybe a few more hits left. But I suppose its better than not being able to play at all.
Old 07-25-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are still some low level people I would think.. I know I am one of them. Only a level 11 (hope to break 12 tomorrow)warrior who is so lost at times I just want to throw the moniter.
Old 07-26-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok guys, in game type /silly and post what joke your character says

My undead mage said

"Roses are Grey
Violets are Grey
I'm Dead
And i'm also Colorblind
Old 07-26-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ok, for some reason I can not log in... I found on one site that there is a update happening for some servers so I guess I should assume that the one that I am playing on is in that list.

Guess I won't make it to 12 today.
Old 07-26-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tjr2mental
ok, for some reason I can not log in... I found on one site that there is a update happening for some servers so I guess I should assume that the one that I am playing on is in that list.

Guess I won't make it to 12 today.
Tuesday is weekly maintnence day. It also looks like some realms have been taken down for a 24 hour period for extended maintnence.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=1#post4191021
Old 07-26-05, 08:53 AM

Could someone please list the 24 hour servers that are down since I can't access them from work. I play on Dragonmaw.
Old 07-26-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The following list of realms will be taken down tomorrow for a period of twenty-four hours starting at 5:00AM PDT. We realize that this is inconvenient; however, this downtime is necessary to address the recent issues adversely affecting performance for players on these realms. All World of Warcraft players on these realms will receive a one-day time extension for the downtime caused by this maintenance. All other realms will be brought back up at the normally scheduled time of 11:00AM. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Alleria
Blackhand
Blackrock
Cenarius
Destromath
Deathwing
Dethecus
Doomhammer
Frostwolf
Garona
Gorgonnash
Hellscream
Hyjal
Icecrown
Illidan
Kilrogg
Kel'Thuzad
Kil'Jaeden
Lightbringer
Ner'zhul
Proudmoore
Silver Hand
Spinebreaker
Stormreaver
Sargeras
Tichondrius
Uther
Whisperwind
Old 07-26-05, 09:04 AM

Also, I assumed a leadership wole in my guild last night and was wondering if anyone had any tips that they could share. It is a great guild that was essentially formed from a narrowly focused priest/paly only guild. It became apparent that our old guild would be losing way too many higher lvl characters as 5 priests/5 palys or a combination thereof do not make the best group for the end game instances. We opened up enrollment to new players but have been arguing whether we should require a certain level (i.e 20). I understand the reasoning behind this but also am aware that mosts lvl 20s will be either guilded up or not interested. My strategy would be get s many people into the guild as you can (even at lower levels) and assign them to a probationary period (of which I supervise) and figure out whether they work or not. Well if anyone plays DragonMaw, look me up: Mandrax, Human Priest of Dynasty of Valor.
Old 07-26-05, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phuzbox
The following list of realms will be taken down tomorrow for a period of twenty-four hours starting at 5:00AM PDT. We realize that this is inconvenient; however, this downtime is necessary to address the recent issues adversely affecting performance for players on these realms. All World of Warcraft players on these realms will receive a one-day time extension for the downtime caused by this maintenance. All other realms will be brought back up at the normally scheduled time of 11:00AM. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Alleria
Blackhand
Blackrock
Cenarius
Destromath
Deathwing
Dethecus
Doomhammer
Frostwolf
Garona
Gorgonnash
Hellscream
Hyjal
Icecrown
Illidan
Kilrogg
Kel'Thuzad
Kil'Jaeden
Lightbringer
Ner'zhul
Proudmoore
Silver Hand
Spinebreaker
Stormreaver
Sargeras
Tichondrius
Uther
Whisperwind
Whew, looks like I'm leaving work early today, boss is out of town.
Old 07-26-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So are crashes to the desktop "life as normal" with world of warcraft? I just got it this week, and was playing a bit last night. Started a new character (warrior) and was doing well (got to level 6 with over 300 armor rating in only 2 hours) but then all of a sudden, once I got to the big city (Spire-something) the game just started crashing over and over. Rebooting didn't help. It was to the point where I couldn't walk 50 feet without the game crashing to the desktop. Does this sort of thing just "happen" everynow and then? Or is the city buggy because it's too big?

Side note: can the warrior get any pets?
Old 07-26-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Side note: can the warrior get any pets?
Warriors can't get any pets at all.

Some of the large cities do cause major hassles if you're low on ram (regardless of your network connnection). I have a pretty nice machine but IF was killing me even at 512 ram. I upgraded to a gig and I'm pretty much flying everywhere now, with the occasional exception of when it needs to load all the characters in an area at the very start.

Edit -- I have had a number of random crashes to desktop as well -- I figure they're mainly memory dumps and/or network issues -- see the post above where I got dumped from an instance and couldn't reconnect because of the queue. Hopefully a few of those things will get fixed during this 24 hour downtime.
Old 07-26-05, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim

Some of the large cities do cause major hassles if you're low on ram (regardless of your network connnection). I have a pretty nice machine but IF was killing me even at 512 ram. I upgraded to a gig and I'm pretty much flying everywhere now, with the occasional exception of when it needs to load all the characters in an area at the very start.

My experience as well, had 512mb RAM and then added a gig while removing one of the 256 sticks. Works like a charm now.
Old 07-26-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
That blows. Can warriors do anything cool?

I already have a gig of ram, so I guess I'll just hope it was a server fluke, and is working better tomorrow.
Old 07-26-05, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by neiname
Guess those could be useful in battle, now I am just grinding 2 mobs and drinking nectar to recoup.
Yeah, you should be fine without them for awhile. But when you are trying to keep 39 other people alive in 10+ minute fights the extra mana can make a huge difference.

As for crashes, I haven't had anything happen like what joeblow69 is talking about. But I could see it being memory related. 512MB is the minimum you'd want to use, and even that is really painful.

<edit> With a GB it shouldn't be an issue, but yeah, things haven't been as smooth since the last patch. Hopefully the 24 hour downtime will make a difference.
Old 07-26-05, 10:01 AM

Yeah, you should be fine without them for awhile. But when you are trying to keep 39 other people alive in 10+ minute fights the extra mana can make a huge difference.

As for crashes, I haven't had anything happen like what joeblow69 is talking about. But I could see it being memory related. 512MB is the minimum you'd want to use, and even that is really painful.

<edit> With a GB it shouldn't be an issue, but yeah, things haven't been as smooth since the last patch. Hopefully the 24 hour downtime will make a difference.
Question about Raid groups. When I party with 4 other people I can see all of them and monitor in the left side of the screen. In a Raid group is there a similar feature, also are there any tools that would be helpful in managing the Raid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.