DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console - AP

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...hi_te/nintendo

Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console

2 hours, 25 minutes ago

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

TOKYO
- Nintendo Co., which dominates the portable video-game machine market, said Wednesday it is developing a new home game console code-named "Revolution" in an apparent attempt to catch up with rival Sony Corp., which makes the PlayStation 2 console.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata refused to give details, saying he feared competitors will steal the plan, but said a prototype, which will be shown next year, will deliver "new ideas" for entertainment and won't be merely a more powerful version of its current Game Cube machine.

Iwata reiterated his view that Nintendo should not follow the strategy of Sony, which is working on a more powerful chip to drive its next home game machine.

He said the gaming industry is reaching a dead end as its past formula for success ó dazzling consumers with more sophisticated imagery ó no longer works. Game sales have been declining for years in Japan, and growth has been slowing even in the more solid U.S. market, he said.

"What we need is not a next-generation machine but a next-generation way of playing games," Iwata told reporters at a Tokyo hotel. "We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis."

Global sales of the Nintendo Game Cube at 15 million lag behind Sony's PlayStation 2, which dominates the home console market with more than 71 million sold worldwide. U.S. software giant Microsoft Corp. had sold nearly 14 million of its Xbox consoles worldwide as of the end of last year.

Nintendo, the Kyoto-based manufacturer behind the Super Mario and Pokemon games, is also facing competition from Sony in handheld game machines, a market Nintendo dominates with its Game Boy Advance.

Sony says it will start selling a portable version of its PlayStation machine later this year in Japan and overseas at a later date.

To counter that threat, Nintendo is planning a new portable game machine for later this year in the United States and Japan. The Nintendo DS, which stands for "dual screen," adds a new twist to its handheld GameBoy Advance by having two color liquid-crystal displays.

That allows players to see a close-up on one monitor and an overall map on the other in some games, or use one as a touch-panel to turn or move figures in other games, as well as relay scribbled messages to another player through a wireless connection.

"Double screens and touch panels are not new technologies," Iwata said. "The idea of using them for a game machine is new."

Takashi Oka, an analyst at UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. in Tokyo, said Nintendo will likely hold up against the threat from Sony's offerings because of its ability to come up with appealing game software. Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.

"Nintendo's power in creating game software is still going strong," Oka said. "I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo."
Jeremy
Old 06-09-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have a completely different system for every game they make. That would be a great idea!
Old 06-09-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.
Excellent quote.
Old 06-09-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also:
"Nintendo's power in creating game software is still going strong," Oka said. "I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo."
What's wrong with these guys? They are battling for second place but they seem to only want to compete with themselves: Dueling portables, dueling consoles. Crazy!
Old 06-09-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
What's wrong with these guys? They are battling for second place but they seem to only want to compete with themselves: Dueling portables, dueling consoles. Crazy!
They are way out in front on the portable market, I'm not sure I agree with their assessment of the PSP and I doubt they honestly believe what they said here, but it's a nice jab and more marketing than anything.

I firmly agree with Nintendo that better graphics don't make better games. If I want realistic looking people I'll look at people, not video games. I'm much more interested in solid game play and/or new ideas. I think the Eye Toy was a fantastic use of technology, anyone that hasn't had a chance to play it should give it a shot. Things like that will get my money.

In the end I buy pretty much every console eventually since they all have one killer game that's worth it (KOTOR, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, etc.). We'll see what it is for the PSP, I'll buy a DS the day it comes out (but I've always been a Nintendo fan).
Old 06-09-04, 10:32 AM

gcadvanced.com just posted an Iwata press conference article. It states pretty much what was said above but it also mentions a Mario Party 6 due later this year-playable without a controller!?!? My brain hurts.
Old 06-09-04, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by jediwicz
gcadvanced.com just posted an Iwata press conference article. It states pretty much what was said above but it also mentions a Mario Party 6 due later this year-playable without a controller!?!? My brain hurts.
I recall reading something in the past week about Nintendo developing its own Eye Toy-type device based on some patents that were recently made. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Party 6 might be one of the first peripherals to take advantage of such a device.

I also highly disagree with Nintendo's assessment of the PSP. The past few years, Nintendo really hasn't appealed to me with their offerings, but I have to admit, Nintendo's desire to innovate and push the industry in new ways is a great thing and will force others to continue innovating as well.
Old 06-09-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo is known for making outrageous statements. I recall back in the N64 days Nintendo defending themselves regarding cartridge over CDís by pointing out that they are in the video game business not MOVIE business and that's why they will not use CD's. These guys are clowns, do they walk into press conferences wearing clown shoes?
Old 06-09-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
These guys are clowns, do they walk into press conferences wearing clown shoes?

Although, as said earlier... these statements are often meant to "get a rise", and get people talking about these products.

But saying the PSP will mostly be used for watching movies is ridiculous... unless they are referring to the Final Fantasy series?
Old 06-09-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo is known for making outrageous statements. I recall back in the N64 days Nintendo defending themselves regarding cartridge over CDís by pointing out that they are in the video game business not MOVIE business and that's why they will not use CD's. These guys are clowns, do they walk into press conferences wearing clown shoes?
Considering that the only thing CD media offered from a gaming standpoint last generation WAS movies (and cd-quality audio) I don't see the problem with that statement. Also take into consideration the horrifying load times plagued with the first gen CD based systems. From both points, carts were a better idea on a strictly gameplay point of view. Now, of course, the cost of the media (plus the high licensing fees they charged) are what hurt the N64 because that's essentially what caused the 3rd party support to take to Sony and Sega.
Old 06-09-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of outrageous statements, did you guys know the PS2 could render Toy Story completely in real-time? That's quite amazing.
Old 06-09-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll believe Nintendo's statement about "making better new games" when they quit recycling all thier NES and SNES games.
Old 06-09-04, 11:57 AM
Retired

Originally posted by UAIOE
I'll believe Nintendo's statement about "making better new games" when they quit recycling all thier NES and SNES games.
I have no problem with it. Metroid Prime is the best game this generation by a LONG shot. You can have innovative game play in the same series, granted that games like MP are the exception to the rule and I too am sick of rehashed sequels (I mean ratchet and clank is great, but do we need a no game with new levels and some new gadges every year?). But Nintendo doesn't need to scrap there franchises to make good games IMO. They just need to continue improving the gameplay.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-09-04 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 186 Posts
Amen to what Josh said!

And I'm quite intrigued by what Mario Party 6 will have to offer...
Old 06-09-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by UAIOE
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Metroid Prime
Zelda: Wind Waker
Animal Crossing
Cubivore
F-Zero GX
Custom Robo
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Interesting.
Old 06-09-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Considering that the only thing CD media offered from a gaming standpoint last generation WAS movies (and cd-quality audio) I don't see the problem with that statement. Also take into consideration the horrifying load times plagued with the first gen CD based systems. From both points, carts were a better idea on a strictly gameplay point of view. Now, of course, the cost of the media (plus the high licensing fees they charged) are what hurt the N64 because that's essentially what caused the 3rd party support to take to Sony and Sega.
WHAT!?!!? CD were the future then and Nintendo laughed at it! CD's weren't just for music and movies at this point in time.
Old 06-09-04, 12:05 PM

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Metroid Prime
Animal Crossing
Cubivore
F-Zero GX
Custom Robo
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee recycled

Interesting.
Just drop the Melee and that game was recycled.
Old 06-09-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WHAT!?!!? CD were the future then and Nintendo laughed at it! CD's weren't just for music and movies at this point in time.
How much do you know about game development? I want you to tell me what would prevent Final Fantasy VII from being a cart based game if stripped of it's movies. Oh, and get technical since you seem to know for sure that CDs weren't just for music and movies. Thanks.
Old 06-09-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 186 Posts
Off Topic

Pixy... has anyone every released a multi-cart game?
Old 06-09-04, 12:15 PM

How much do you know about game development? I want you to tell me what would prevent Final Fantasy VII from being a cart based game if stripped of it's movies. Oh, and get technical since you seem to know for sure that CDs weren't just for music and movies. Thanks.
How did the N64 do? Nintendo didn't jump on the boat on that one. CD were the future at the time. Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1 all CD's.

I don't want to get your panties in a knot...All I'm saying is that Nintendo laughed at CDs *PEROID*.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 06-09-04 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I have no problem with it. Metroid Prime is the best game this generation by a LONG shot. You can have innovative game play in the same series, granted that games like MP are the exception to the rule and I too am sick of rehashed sequels (I mean ratchet and clank is great, but do we need a no game with new levels and some new gadges every year?). But Nintendo doesn't need to scrap there franchises to make good games IMO. They just need to continue improving the gameplay.
I'm not talking about games that are continuing off thier older franchises, i'm talking about the GBA SNES ports and the current GBA "retro" games.

Did we need another release of "Super Mario Brothers"? "Excitebike"?

And instead of giving people a new 2D SMB game on the GBA all we got was the Mario games from the SNES.

A company tossing more ports of older games my way instead of new franchises or games in a series doesnt instill faith in me.

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Metroid Prime
Animal Crossing
Cubivore
F-Zero GX
Custom Robo
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Interesting.
Super Mario Advance
Advance 2
Advance 3
Advance 4
Four Swords
Super Mario Brothers
Excitebike
Donkey Kong

Whats "interesting" is that there are almost as many ports listed as there are "NEW" games you listed.

That IMO, is not a good thing.
Old 06-09-04, 12:19 PM

I didnt like Pikmin or Animal Crossing, but that's all NEW. 1st Gen game.
Old 06-09-04, 12:23 PM
Retired

Oh, I agree with that, aside from the 2 Metroid games, Nintendo's first party GBA offerings have been pathetic.
Old 06-09-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the fact that Sony gave the PSP a widescreen display, pretty much shows that movie watching (DVD movie ports) will be the main point of the system.

Last edited by CreatureX; 06-09-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
Well the fact that Sony gave the PSP a widescreen display, pretty much shows that movie watching (DVD movie ports) will be the main point of the system.
Add speakers too....heck if it has speakers it must be a mobile theater. Not a portible video game system, but a mobile theater.

It couldn't be because widescreen is the current technology tread, could it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.