Reload this Page >

Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console - AP

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console - AP

Old 06-09-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm dreading the day where we're stuck paying $300+ for consoles because they have crap like DVD-R's, Tivo, etc. bundled in for Joe Six Packs who don't already have standalone components (which are ALWAYS better than any multifunction machine) that do these things.
Boy, we could start a whole new thread on that topic but I'm with you 100%. I buy my gaming consoles to play games, not DVDs, not MP3...games! I don't care if they do other things and (I know I'm in the minority on this) I don't care if the new Nintendo system plays GC games, I already have a GC.
Old 06-09-04, 06:21 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Homer Simpson
(I know I'm in the minority on this) I don't care if the new Nintendo system plays GC games, I already have a GC.
I like backwards compatibility just because my entertainment center is overfull as is and has no room for any more systems. Thus backwards compatibility allows me to ditch a console and still play it games.
Old 06-09-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 189 Posts
I've got to agree with Homer... but then again, all I own are Nintendo consoles. The only backwards compatibility I have experienced is with the GameBoy line.

The only other effort Nintendo has used were the old adapters to play GB games on the SNES, and I think that was it.

Was there ever a NES->SNES adapter?

The only other games I know of are the PSOne->PS2 games.
Old 06-09-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Was there ever a NES->SNES adapter?
Unoffically, there were some. There's also a cool device that allows you to play SNES/SFC, NES and Famicom carts on your N64.

Sega Genesis and Game Gear both had adapters to play Master System games.
Old 06-09-04, 07:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I've got to agree with Homer... but then again, all I own are Nintendo consoles. The only backwards compatibility I have experienced is with the GameBoy line.
I currently have hooked up:

Gamecube with GB Player
PS2
X-box
SNES.

No more room in my entertainment center, hell, my VCR and DirecTV receiver are already sitting on top of it rather than on the shelves!. Just too much crap with all that, plus a DVD player, CD player, Receiver, system selector etc.
Old 06-09-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I currently have hooked up:

Gamecube with GB Player
PS2
X-box
SNES.

No more room in my entertainment center, hell, my VCR and DirecTV receiver are already sitting on top of it rather than on the shelves!. Just too much crap with all that, plus a DVD player, CD player, Receiver, system selector etc.
I know whos house to rob
Old 06-09-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have XBox, PS2, GameCube in the main room. Then I have SNES, DreamCast, PS1, and N64 hooked up in the playroom. I just got a second Cube (controller port 4 is bad on my original) so I have to pick 1 to ditch in the playroom now. That means when the new console comes out I'll still have the Cube in the other room.

I won't be disappointed if it play GC games but I don't care either.
Old 06-09-04, 10:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just want a machine that plays games. The GC was great as it just played games and cost $100 at launch.

Gamecube was $200 at launch, not $100.

I'm dreading the day where we're stuck paying $300+ for consoles because they have crap like DVD-R's, Tivo, etc. bundled in for Joe Six Packs who don't already have standalone components (which are ALWAYS better than any multifunction machine) that do these things.

At least it looks like Sony and MS will put out gaming only (well probably play cds and movies) alternatives to their set top boxes next gen, if the rumors hold true.
I'm both for and against having added features on game consoles. I don't mind when a console has added features, as long as the added features don't drive up the price of the console. Having CD and DVD playback doesn't bother me because the consoles that had those features used CD and DVD based media for the games anyway, so it didn't cost extra to have CD and DVD playback available.

However, I would imagine that turning a game console into a set top box would drive up the cost, and for that reason I agree with you.
Old 06-10-04, 01:35 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Nintendo, and will buy any home console they put out... Next time however, I have to go with a second system (probably Sony-- though I hate that company and their products with a passion). While it's great to have new Nintendo first party titles to look forward to, it is becoming unbearable watching every new cool title bypass the only system I own...
Old 06-10-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 562 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally posted by John Spartan
I loved my Genny and SNES, too, but give me a break with all of this "graphics don't matter that much" BS. It's not 1991. Tetris won't cut it anymore. The visuals and audio ARE huge parts of games these days. I don't care how much you're clinging to your copy of Magical Drop, the fact is modern games are expected to provide an "experience." Immersiveness, be it in an action game, a RPG, a sports game or whatever, does add greatly to the enjoyment of a game. We're nowhere near the level where improvements in technology will not make a noticeable difference in graphics, so I'm glad the hardware horsepower war will continue.

Secondly, improved technology DOES make new gameplay possible. Many games were only made because of improvements in technology. Half Life, Metal Gear Solid, Vice City, Mario 64, Tomb Raider, the list goes on.

Finally, the most obvious point: why can't you innovate gameplay and still have the best graphics on the block? I guess the answer is that you can, but Nintendo doesn't want to bother competing with the others on that front.
Improved technology does make new gameplay possible but all the examples that you picked are already several generations into the series. At this point more horsepower will just mean better graphics instead of new gameplay. Look at all the FPS. You can't go on graphics anymore. They are all essentially the same game it is the nuances and innovations in gameplay that really stand out and separate a title from the pack.

I'm not saying that pure power isn't important, and I don't think Nintendo is either, I just think that it shouldn't be the focus for the next generation of consoles. They aren't shunning more power or faster processors they are simply stating that their philosophy is innovative gameplay.

Unfortunately I think that all the Joe Six Packs are ruining the industry since all they look at are new flashy things. That's why I hate it when XBox owners would always think their system is superior because it is so much faster then the other two (more so earlier in the systems life when there were few good games). If you like a system then say why by stating games that you like or something unique that the system adds (XBox live, eyetoy, Final Fantasy, Connectivity, First Party games) don't just say, "It's faster, more powerful."
Old 06-10-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, this hated joe sixpack flashy xbox fanboy ruiner of the industry thinks that the bulk of this thread has little to do with the article. It sounds like nintendo is gonna release another Virtual Boy to me. Doesn't anyone else see the potential problems here? I mean, their success has always ridden on their brand of gaming... doing it their way... not following the pack. They've only gotten into trouble when they strayed too far from their own proven formulas. MS and Sony are both gonna do about the same thing at about the same time next gen. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo's revolutionary offering does. I am doubtful that it'll make it past product testing... or even focus group concept pitch. We'll see - maybe I read the article wrong.
Old 06-10-04, 10:01 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Zuul

Gamecube was $200 at launch, not $100.
[/B]
Oops. Brain Fart. I meant to say it cost $100 less than the others, not that it cost $100.
Old 06-10-04, 10:04 AM
Retired

I can't tell if it's going to be like a virtual boy, or if it will just be a normal console with a touch screen controller (possibly in addtion to a standard controller. That wouldn't be a drastic departure and shouldn't spell doom.
Old 06-10-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's an interesting article on why more realistic graphics arn't always better.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102086
Old 06-10-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Here's an interesting article on why more realistic graphics arn't always better.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102086
Realistic graphics and "better" graphics are two different things and you need more horsepower under the proverbial console hood for both. You could argue that Superman 64 was cel shaded but the game looked horrible. With more power and processing muscle you now have games like Zelda:WW which look much better (and don't make you barf a little into your own mouth while you're playing them like Superman did! ) Even is the added muscle isn't used for graphics it can be used for other things like AI rountines and sound procesing etc. So more "power" can most definitely help.

Even the GT4 programmers stated that the game graphics can only get so much better but their physics simulation, which now runs at 1 update per second, could be sped up to 300 updates per second which would make a big difference in handling of the virtual cars. Just an example, but you get the point...
Old 06-10-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Nice article, makes some good points. I think the way Zelda WW was done is a great example, they got some excellent emotions across in those cel shaded graphics. The eyes on the characters and the facial expressions were outstanding.

The one thing I do disagree with in the article is that given time and persistance the close ups will get better and better and close that 1% gap. It's going to take time and iterations to get it right.
Old 06-10-04, 11:49 AM
Retired

I personally dislike realistic graphics as I play games for an escapist form of entertainment. Thus I can't get into games with realistic graphics or real worlds storylines/settings.
Old 06-10-04, 12:21 PM

I personally dislike realistic graphics as I play games for an escapist form of entertainment. Thus I can't get into games with realistic graphics or real worlds storylines/settings.

Dude...WTF!?

go trade in all of the consoles u own for a parcheesi board set.
Old 06-10-04, 12:32 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Young Vito

Dude...WTF!?

go trade in all of the consoles u own for a parcheesi board set.
What's your problem? I didn't say there was anything wrong with realistic games, they're just not my cup of tea.

I'd rather play a game like Mario or Zelda that lets me "escape" from the real world, than something like GTA.

Same's true for movies, though I love stuff like the Godfather, but not nearly as much as movies like LOTR or Star Wars that are escapist.
Old 06-10-04, 12:50 PM

dude, i think youre the one with the problem in that if a game features anything from the "real world" wether it be a gun, car or a realistic story youre automatically turned off?

even a movie? sheesh man...you must not like this world much in that anything reminding you of it is automatically not considered for purchase

very weird...

but hey its your system, your tv and your world..sooo do u.
Old 06-10-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally posted by Young Vito
dude, i think youre the one with the problem in that if a game features anything from the "real world" wether it be a gun, car or a realistic story youre automatically turned off?

even a movie? sheesh man...you must not like this world much in that anything reminding you of it is automatically not considered for purchase

very weird...

but hey its your system, your tv and your world..sooo do u.
I think he means graphics wise. Obviously, most games have cars or some form of real world activity. Its not like I see many people with FLUDD units and Ocarina's running around.
Old 06-10-04, 01:12 PM
Retired

Well said pixy.

I like a break from reality. I'm a criminologist and spend all day 5 days a week either working with crime data or working with cops and prosecutors. I don't need more guns and violence in my video games.

And like Pixy, I think these violent games are childish. But if I remember correctly you're like 15, so they're probably right up your ally.

With movies, I do like crime movies and violent movies and own quiet a few. It's not as involved as Video games and doesn't bother me. But I still prefer stuff like LOTR. Again, I like a break from reality in my entertainment.
Old 06-10-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 562 Likes on 398 Posts
Well said pixy.

I like a break from reality. I'm a criminologist and spend all day 5 days a week either working with crime data or working with cops and prosecutors. I don't need more guns and violence in my video games.

And like Pixy, I think these violent games are childish. But if I remember correctly you're like 15, so they're probably right up your ally.

With movies, I do like crime movies and violent movies and own quiet a few. It's not as involved as Video games and doesn't bother me. But I still prefer stuff like LOTR. Again, I like a break from reality in my entertainment.
NO

Although better then most, sometimes you just have to laugh at the maturity level in this forum.
Old 06-10-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
I think he means graphics wise. Obviously, most games have cars or some form of real world activity. Its not like I see many people with FLUDD units and Ocarina's running around.
I have a FLUDD unit that I use to wash the neighbors' cars and then at night I sit on the corner playing my ocarina outside the local Thai restaurant for tips.
Old 06-10-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by tanman
yEah d00d Y rn't U into guns and other stuff that like, kill pepl and jnk.

Although better then most, sometimes you just have to laugh at the maturity level in this forum.
yea...u just showed how mature u are, i didnt mention anything about killing people ...

im fed up with forum nannies who cringe, cry and bitch anytime the words "guns", "shoot" or "kill" are mentioned, then want to blame all of society's ills on video games....gimme a break...

Last edited by Young Vito; 06-10-04 at 01:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.