Reload this Page >

Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console - AP

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Develops New Home Game Console - AP

Old 06-10-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Young Vito
im fed up with forum nannies who cringe, cry and bitch anytime the words "guns", "shoot" or "kill" are mentioned, then want to blame all of society's ills on video games....gimme a break...
No, I blame the downfall of society on Big League Chew... it helped us to learn that we could put everything and our mouths and still want more!
Old 06-10-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea...u just showed how mature u are, i didnt mention anything about killing people ...

im fed up with forum nannies who cringe, cry and bitch anytime the words "guns", "shoot" or "kill" are mentioned, then want to blame all of society's ills on video games....gimme a break...

Good gravy Marie..

First of all, nobody mentioned blaming society's ill will on video games. YOU came in slinging mud because Josh doesn't want to dry hump his copy of Grand Theft Auto III. YOU practically launched a personal attack on another person because their opinion differed from yours. Quite simply, your behavior only glorifies our belief that violent video games are childish.
Old 06-10-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I have a FLUDD unit that I use to wash the neighbors' cars and then at night I sit on the corner playing my ocarina outside the local Thai restaurant for tips.
Is this where you picked up your Ocarina? http://shop.songbirdocarina.com/subcat.asp?0=221
Old 06-10-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was whoever had the ad in the back of the Nintendo Power for the last few years!
Old 06-10-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Homer Simpson
Is this where you picked up your Ocarina? http://shop.songbirdocarina.com/subcat.asp?0=221
I've heard of those ocarina replicas..

I was going to reply with "What, they only have the Ocarina of Time? Screw that I want a Fairy Ocarina!!" Lo and behold.. The sound samples are the icing on the cake.
Old 06-10-04, 02:18 PM

oh i forgot...im in a nintendo thread..

1-i didnt specifically say any one of u said that u blame video games for our problems, just sayin those are usually the people to complain....so slow your roll.

2-i just told him to simply exchange his video games for a board game because real life graphics are what the future of video games are all about, seems to me he was taking a step back just like the CEO of nintendo (who seriously whines and complains so much about violent this , graphics that- yet funny how his company is always at the bottom of the console race), and i have heard people say they dont like sci-fi or cartoony video games but it caught me off guard to read that he doesnt like "real-life" type games and movies, so thats why i retorted in that manner.

3-video games with violence are actually suited for more mature players, not the other way around, they are in no way "childish" . good example pixy...im guessin u dislike GTA (as stated in other posts) , but have all sorts of zeldas, mario and other cartoon like games in your collection, that doesnt make you any more mature or immature now does it?

just because i like action and violence in my games doesnt make me an immature child. nuff said.

Last edited by Young Vito; 06-10-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 03:20 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2-i just told him to simply exchange his video games for a board game because real life graphics are what the future of video games are all about,
I said nothing of the sort, nor did anyone else. I don't think violent, realistic games are bad for society, I just get no enjoyment out of 99% of them, thus I don't play them.

There are plenty of good, non violent games I enjoy like Mario, Zelda, Ratchet and Clank, racing games, sports games (where I do like realism), Final Fantasy, and on and on.

Thus, for you to say that realistic graphics are the future is definitely misgiven. There will continue to be games with realistic graphics, "adult" ratings etc. and there will be continue to be tons of great games in non-realistic settings that arent' graphically violent.

And thread crapping in it. If you hate Nintendo, stay out of Nintendo threads. When GTA4 comes out you won't see me in those threads saying the series sucks. I have better things to do with my time.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-10-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1-i didnt specifically say any one of u said that u blame video games for our problems, just sayin those are usually the people to complain....so slow your roll.

2-i just told him to simply exchange his video games for a board game because real life graphics are what the future of video games are all about, seems to me he was taking a step back just like the CEO of nintendo (who seriously whines and complains so much about violent this , graphics that- yet funny how his company is always at the bottom of the console race), and i have heard people say they dont like sci-fi or cartoony video games but it caught me off guard to read that he doesnt like "real-life" type games and movies, so thats why i retorted in that manner.

3-video games with violence are actually suited for more mature players, not the other way around, they are in no way "childish" . good example pixy...im guessin u dislike GTA (as stated in other posts) , but have all sorts of zeldas, mario and other cartoon like games in your collection, that doesnt make you any more mature or immature now does it?

just because i like action and violence in my games doesnt make me an immature child. nuff said.
Apparently if you keep feeding the 15 year old, he'll keep biting.
Old 06-10-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

real life graphics are what the future of video games are all about
I assume you mean improved graphics, not "real-life" graphics. I don't think the future of video games is "real-life" graphics, but instead improved graphics whether it be in the style of Toy Story-like rendering, sci-fi setting, or real-life settings. Toy-Story graphics I wouldn't call real-life, more cartoony. I am not sure you guys are arguing the same thing. I think you missed his point, he didn't necessarily say he wouldn't want great graphics, just not games that immitate real life or real life situations and environments.

It doesn't make you immature to enjoy violence in games nor does it make you mature. Games like GTA (which I enjoy by the way) really aren't all that mature of games. They are suited for older audiences because of the killing, but for the most part their maturity barely hits adolescence. I am not sure many games hit past adolescence in their themes. Games like GTA bassically equate to a mindless action flick, a more mature game (can't think of examples off-hand) would equal more of a thought-provoking and intelligent drama.
Old 06-10-04, 03:33 PM
Retired

Originally posted by msdmoney
I think you missed his point, he didn't necessarily say he wouldn't want great graphics, just not games that immitate real life or real life situations and environments.
Exactly my point.

But I don't think he missed it. I'm guessing he thinks "cartoony" games like Wind Waker looked crappy.
Old 06-10-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,171 Posts
Good lord, can we have a single Nintendo-related thread that doesn't provoke a console-bashing war? Now I read that original article, but maybe my reading skillz aren't up to snuff. What exactly did it say about the new home console that was revolutionary?

and yes, BTW, I agree with everyone who pointed out that the statement that the PSP will primarily be used to watch movies is totally retarded. It's like saying the N-Gage would be primarily used as an MP3 player (of course we all now know that it's primary use is as a paperweight).
Old 06-10-04, 03:48 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Decker
What exactly did it say about the new home console that was revolutionary?
Something about having a touch panel screen controller.
Old 06-10-04, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Exactly my point.

But I don't think he missed it. I'm guessing he thinks "cartoony" games like Wind Waker looked crappy.
i actually thought wind waker looked gorgeous, like playing a cartoon, i love all games.....

josh, bottom line, its jus almost like a shock that someone would say what you said, just downplaying all games with realistic graphics that imitate life. its like a biased way of lookin at video games, thats all.
Old 06-10-04, 03:53 PM

I can see it (PSP) being used as a movie player equally with game playing. At the office with it plugged in it will be a great movie player. The problem arises when it's unplugged. On long trips it's going to be pointless. Sony has said the battery life will be 2-10 hours. 10 hours if you are listening to media with no screen. The minute the screen turns on and the disc starts spinning the battery life turds. Ooooh...I can play a game for two hours on a six hour flight. I'd rather watch a movie and then play my DS.
Old 06-10-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by msdmoney
It doesn't make you immature to enjoy violence in games nor does it make you mature. Games like GTA (which I enjoy by the way) really aren't all that mature of games. They are suited for older audiences because of the killing, but for the most part their maturity barely hits adolescence. I am not sure many games hit past adolescence in their themes. Games like GTA bassically equate to a mindless action flick, a more mature game (can't think of examples off-hand) would equal more of a thought-provoking and intelligent drama.
Wow. Incredible!! You pretty much stated what I've wanted to post but haven't because a) I wasn't interested in furthering the argument, and b) I couldn't think of how to say it without using plenty of colorful words of anger and frustration.

For the record, I don't hate the GTA games. I've played both, and enjoy them to an extent. But they're exploitation games essentially, they're silly. The maturity level of the violence and sexual content are at about the level of somebody laughing at a fart, in my opinion.

On the flip side, I feel Wind Waker has a rather deep, somewhat-mature storyline underneath it's playful atmosphere. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-10-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad to hear that Nintendo is going to stick with what they do best. I don't think that anything in the article is actually "new" though. Nintendo has had this same gameplan for awhile now. Eye candy can only go so far in the video game world, and Nintendo has been trying to help keep things fun. I can't wait to see what Nintendo rolls out with, I will be buying it the day it comes out.
Old 06-10-04, 04:02 PM
Retired

josh, bottom line, its jus almost like a shock that someone would say what you said, just downplaying all games with realistic graphics that imitate life. its like a biased way of lookin at video games, thats all.
Everyone has biases using that definition, as everyone has things they do and don't like in games, movies, music whatever.

We play/watch/listen to these things to get entertainment.

For games, entertainment for me means escaping from the real worlds for a while. Games like GTA that are filled with crime and set in a real city environment don't allow me to do that to the extent that something like Zelda does.
Old 06-10-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to hear you think Wind Waker looks great. For your second point, I'd point you to the article posted on page 2 or 3, it's an interesting read. It sums up rather nicely why I enjoy graphics in games like Wind Waker over games like Splinter Cell. In my eyes, (and this dates back to at least the SNES days), the attempts to emulate more realistic looking environments and characters takes me out of the game as it's very easy and distracting to notice all the things that AREN'T realistic about it.
Old 06-10-04, 04:07 PM
Retired

Originally posted by PixyJunket
the attempts to emulate more realistic looking environments and characters takes me out of the game as it's very easy and distracting to notice all the things that AREN'T realistic about it.
Another good point. They can make games look just like Cartoons now, they can't make games look just like real life. Thus it makes the graphics look "fake" when they try. Still not the main reason I don't like realistic graphics and settings, but it is something that's bothered me in the past.
Old 06-10-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always been taught that if you want to be realistic, take a photograph. If you want something different create a painting.

That's what I think of those games that are trying to mimic life. I enjoyed the Final Fantasy game until they tried to imitate humans. I enjoyed the cartooned versions more.
Old 06-10-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 549 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally posted by huh?
Apparently if you keep feeding the 15 year old, he'll keep biting.
Old 06-10-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Everyone, please cool it in this thread. No more jabs at another member, even if it's a little one. Discuss the TOPIC at hand, or this thread is history.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 06-10-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can any thread regarding Nintendo ever stay open?
Old 06-11-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could have predicted how this thread would turn on the first page.